• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I dunno, a price increase for N64 and Genesis seems reasonable enough. N64 games are definitely more valuable than SNES ones.

It's not the price increase, it's tying it to a subscription model, and then only selling the controllers behind said subscription model.

Given Nintendo's history, we can't even be sure that "Nintendo Online" will be around next generation. It's all just a crap shoot behind a paywall.

Nintendo (as a company) suuuuuucks.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Definitely hype to give Custom Robo V1/2 a crack!

image0.png

Also Op should really be updated with upcoming games. This actually having a roadmap of sorts makes me hopeful updates will be more consistent with the price bump

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Are they presumably still updating NES and SNES? Gargoyles Quest 2, Metal Storm, Kabuki Quantum Fighter are some missing games where I could see it being easy to add to NES… and well…. Earthbound and Super Mario RPG are glaringly missing, also Vortex. I looooove Vortex. Hell, throw Sega some money and get us some SNES Smt games translated and brought over.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
With how terrible Switch online multiplayer still is, paying more just to get N64 and Genesis is not worth it to me. I'll pass on this.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I skimmed through all the pages and maybe I missed it, but did no one mention Japan gets a different controller?
abe2120a48.png

And NSO is cheap for a whole year but it's reflective of the content I guess. Some people are acting like it's $20 a month rather than a year though. Cheaper if you share a family plan.

this is infuriating, also I hope you don't mind but I tweeted this info and used your screencap.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that they are using the original version of Mario 64 when they have the All Stars ROM with some better textures? Well, at least "so long gay Bowser" will be back.

Switch_NSOExpansionPack_N64_SCRN02_SuperMario64

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Winback I believe is a Koei Tecmo game, so maybe they could give SNES and NES a boost with some dank ass Strat games.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
I dunno how he kept a straight face asking for more money for roms...

Like it's terrible!

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
A Company wants actual Money for their Services? I'm absolutely Shocked, No Fucking Way!!!

Edit: I was rude and out of line, so I'll elaborate.

Nintendo has effectively locked this software and hardware behind a paywall (so far as I can tell). The games are tied to the subscription, so if you end your sub, you lose your games. If you lose those games, suddenly your $50 controller (that is also locked behind a paywall) becomes an extremely silly investment.

It's not about them wanting money, it's about them locking consumers out of their products *unless* they pay for the service, and even then it's a gamble if you keep them, if your hardware works with other games not in the sub, or if those games will be around on the next line of Nintendo hardware.

Nintendo sucks.

Last edited:

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I imagine it will have the same set up as the NES/SNES emulation with the save states and whatnot

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Seeing Nintendo support Sin & Punishment still makes me happy but honestly I'd rather just buy it for $10 and put it on my switch. This subscription junk is not great.

Dec 23, 2017
Not seeing Mischief Makers on that list breaks me heart.

Then again, I'm still hoping for some kind of physical or digital re-release.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
People threw a fit when SF64 ran better on the Wii, so they patched it to make it authentic.

The best answer would be a complicated one where you could toggle original framerate or unlocked if the game was programmed for it.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to play Sin and Punishment. Sure as hell am not paying more for that though. The balls on Nintendo never cease to amaze

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
How is this language ok

How is someone openly mocking me for saying "Companies shouldn't lock their products & devices behind paywalls, and then render them completely useless if you stop paying"?

Sorry, but I'm not really going to feel badly for someone not reading what I wrote (at all) and then pretending like I'm some kind of imbecile from the stone age.
Edit: On second glance, poster didn't quote my second post, but my first post. I'll edit out the vitriol, but my point still stands: Fuck Nintendo for taking advantage of consumers.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
there are probably more licensing costs associated with the Genesis I'd imagine.
These games have been rereleased plenty of times. And it's not like we're getting GBA games with the base service.

I'm not gonna begrudge you for paying for this, but it certainly looks scummy to me. This isn't an uncommon opinion either.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So let's say they double this to like $3.33/month. That still doesn't seem that bad for a service that provides access to games from 4 retro systems. And N64 has online multiplayer…

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
So let's say they double this to like $3.33/month. That still doesn't seem that bad for a service that provides access to games from 4 retro systems. And N64 has online multiplayer…

It's not bad at all… it's just not sinking in to everyone that subscription models is the future of gaming just as it is with movies and tv. And Nintendo's is the cheapest one around. In fact, cheaper than any subscription service period.

I think if Nintendo gave an option though for people to purchase the games on their service like Microsoft does with Game Pass games, then everyone would calm down and be more accepting. Maybe…

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking Christ I hate console warring

You can disagree with someone without calling them a "shill"

Oct 28, 2017
Maaaan, it sure would be nice to have the option of buying these N64 games separately instead of locking them behind a subscription price hike...

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not.

But ... SAVE STATES?

Also, what type of framerate performance are we expecting, Zelda still at 20fps? Or 30?

I also want a CRT filter like in the NES and SNES games.
Boosting the target framerate is unfortunately way too complicated for older games to be viable here.

I do wonder what resolution they'll run at, though. On Virtual Console it was boosted from 240p to 480p. I'm curious to see if they'll do 720p like 3D All-Stars or no.
Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that they are using the original version of Mario 64 when they have the All Stars ROM with some better textures? Well, at least "so long gay Bowser" will be back.

Switch_NSOExpansionPack_N64_SCRN02_SuperMario64
Nah, I expected this. It keeps the value of the 3D All-Stars purchase up, which is still important to them for customer loyalty reasons even though they're no longer selling it. Again though, it's possible they kept it at 720p - but just by looking at that I don't think that's the case. Hard to tell on my phone however.