• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if Ubisoft offer their employees profit sharing?

This TV show seems to argue that profit sharing is reasonable and employees should engage in collective bargaining to achieve it.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the season.
It is a solid show but somehow feels like it was done by the numbers. The characters are too similar to the ones the actors played in the other shows. Even in the one off episode at the middle of the season, which I enjoyed, the guy just felt like the one from New Girl too much.
At the end of the season there was a noticeable drop in the quality for me.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the season.
It is a solid show but somehow feels like it was done by the numbers. The characters are too similar to the ones the actors played in the other shows. Even in the one off episode at the middle of the season, which I enjoyed, the guy just felt like the one from New Girl too much.
At the end of the season there was a noticeable drop in the quality for me.
I wondered if Danny Pudi talking about Ducktales was a meta-nod to Abed because Danny Pudi is in Ducktales (he plays Huey).

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the season. Basically binged it in the last 12 hours.
Went in with very low expectations and am pleasantly surprised to say the least.
Definitely found it entertaining. Thought it did a pretty decent job at portraying what it could possibly be like at a game developer with a complete narcissist in charge, had some stand out characters (Jo probably being my favorite). Has both heart and comedy.
Wish they did more episodes like Episode 5, but overall, very pleasantly surprised for sure.
Look forward to Season 2.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird hearing John DiMaggio's normal voice and not Marcus Fenix or Bender. He's so much more soft spoke lol

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No joke, 'A Dark Quiet Death' is one of the best episode of TV I've seen in years

Watched a bunch of episodes with the boyfriend yesterday and then he even said the same thing.

It's such a great stand alone episode as well. It reminds me of the Thanksgiving episode of Master of None. Just a masterpiece of an episode that anyone can watch.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it last night. I thought it was great and everything developed nicely over the course of the season. The last shot with the mural behind them was really cool.

I feel like season 2 could be a big step up now that they've got everything established.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I saw an article today that talked about using more IASIP people in the next season although it sounds like that'll mostly be behind the scenes.
www.cheatsheet.com

Rob McElhenney Promises More of the 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' Gang in 'Mythic Quest' Season 2

'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' creator Rob McElhenney is bringing more of the 'Sunny' gang to his Apple TV+ show 'Mythic Quest: Raven't Banquet.'

"Catering provided by DeVito Enterprises"

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Charlotte Nicdao is the true star of the series. I just wanted to say this.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best episode was definitely the one set in the past with that company beginning and ending.

Amazing writing. Why is the rest of the show just meh but that episode is like award nomination worthy.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wow, I just finished this show last night, and I wasn't expecting it to be this good. It started out a bit rough, but it then developed nicely as things went on, with some nice twists along the way. You could also really feel the writing from Community in there.

One of my favourite bits was Poppi setting up that really tall guy next to Ian's office to keep his ego distracted.

I'm so glad it's already been renewed.

Episode 5 threw me for loop.
That episode caught me in the feels. I had all the means to make my way into the industry in the late '90s, if I hadn't been such a train wreck, so it's like "Ah, there's an old wound." Plus, the episode left nice plot threads that can still be built upon.

Holy hell, Jo is hilarious. One of my favorite characters in the show.
Her sudden outburst about "peasants" being "grist for the mill" when the coders wanted to unionize absolutely floored me. 😆

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Or just how it portrays being a QA tester, which is shown as just having fun playing games all day. And even at one point they have to crunch and do an all nighter and it's just portrayed as them being able to have fun at the office at night. The only time it is portrayed as awful is when a stereotypical gamer replaces Dana and makes life worse for Rachel.
The QA testers felt a bit shoehorned in, because they'd be waaay down in the ranks of the company. However, during the bit in the spoiler's it's mentioned off hand that there's a whole other, much less nice room in the building full of QA testers. So they're special QA testers I guess?

Even though they developed well enough, the show needed to justify their presence a bit better early on.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
The QA testers felt a bit shoehorned in, because they'd be waaay down in the ranks of the company. However, during the bit in the spoiler's it's mentioned off hand that there's a whole other, much less nice room in the building full of QA testers. So they're special QA testers I guess?

Embedded QA is a thing, specialized QA that sits close to teams, working on specific features/testplans, as are QA Leads who work more closely with a team + then deal out work to other more generic QA (the ones in the building mentioned).

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Even though they developed well enough, the show needed to justify their presence a bit better early on.
I believe those QA testers are more of a display for whenever investors come in. And to make the game designers feels close, able to watch, and communicate with their close special QA testers.

It's also why their "eye balls are scanned" so they arent screwing around. They are essentially decor.

Their job does feel like a potentially real thing. But it's purposely glamorized. I'm sure we will see the other room in other seasons.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a narrative convenience, you're overthinking things. They need to have them there to interact with the rest of the cast otherwise they'd be in their own different show. They are there as a contrast, they are rank and file, 9-5 style workers, while the rest of the cast are all big time producers, leads, writers, etc outside of the assistant. Having them shuttered away with the guest characters like the community manager would just be too big a hassle and narratively isolating.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Whole series should have been based around episode 5 or at least set in that time period.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I liked the first season, but I felt, compared to It's Sunny, they do not go through with the criticism. Maybe that is not what they were going for, but at some points it really felt like they want to tell a story of how messed up certain stuff in the industry is, just to resolve with "ah, its not that bad" or just joke about it.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Best episode was definitely the one set in the past with that company beginning and ending.

Amazing writing. Why is the rest of the show just meh but that episode is like award nomination worthy.

Maybe the marketing people kept butting in and said the show should be more like Silicon Valley. I do love these kind of bottle episodes, Warrior had one too last year.

I know peak TV has taken things to the next level with season long arcs, but when watching shows like this and Picard, I am reminded how great perfectly crafted standalone episodes can be, short and succinct with things evoked rather than drawn out. A bit like the first ten minutes of up, or TNG's Inner Light. I hope they can get these characters back next season, see the reactions and have the guts to do more of this. They have sure shown to be capable.

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017
Episode 5 was indeed something incredible. It's one of the best pieces of media I've seen in a long, long time. It's also the first romance story that actually moved me, and didn't annoy me, since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I liked the first season, but I felt, compared to It's Sunny, they do not go through with the criticism. Maybe that is not what they were going for, but at some points it really felt like they want to tell a story of how messed up certain stuff in the industry is, just to resolve with "ah, its not that bad" or just joke about it.

I'm guessing that they were pretty restricted with their plots and storylines due to their collaboration with Ubisoft.

Speaking of which, the clips from Assassin's Creed, For Honor, etc. were just distracting. They didn't have anything to do with the game, and they felt shoved in there.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While entertaining... I'm not finding it amazing. Something, just seems off. It's like a blend of comedy and drama that doesn't really excel on either level.

In fact, if it wasn't about the subject matter of games / MMO, I'd struggle a lot more in watching it.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While entertaining... I'm not finding it amazing. Something, just seems off. It's like a blend of comedy and drama that doesn't really excel on either level.

In fact, if it wasn't about the subject matter of games / MMO, I'd struggle a lot more in watching it.
I'm in the same boat. It's going for that Office-Vibe by making terrible people work together.

The shows fault is that none of the characters except the two game testers are loveable. They're all complete assholes and utter assholes.

Yet they have this great episode showing you the writers on this show can make a great show. But they choose not to and work with the trash they have.

The subject matter of games is just the setting. But honestly take that out, is what's currently on the table even strong enough on it's own?

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I'm in the same boat. It's going for that Office-Vibe by making terrible people work together.

The shows fault is that none of the characters except the two game testers are loveable. They're all complete assholes and utter assholes.

Yet they have this great episode showing you the writers on this show can make a great show. But they choose not to and work with the trash they have.

The subject matter of games is just the setting. But honestly take that out, is what's currently on the table even strong enough on it's own?

Its a show created by two of the IASIP creators and co created by Megan Ganz (Community), unlikeable characters is their stock in trade. Show is excellent as of episode six, five is a masterpiece.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got into this show after finding out Danny Pudi and Megan Ganz worked on this. I actually really love it so far, I'm 3 episodes in. I'm not laughing hysterically all the time, but I'm incredibly entertained and love all of the characters. I enjoy that for the most part they're all pretty competent. I also love seeing the romance brewing between Ashly Burch's character and the other playtester.

I can't wait until Episode 5 that apparently seems to be the best one.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Oh nice! I watched this a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty entertaining. I'm looking forward to checking out this new episode. I hope we get a season 2.