• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Who is Rob talking about? I timestamped the part he#s talking about a creative director at Ubisoft Montreal that inspired him to write the show and the main character (I guess, haven't seen it yet).

for-honor-creative-dio2j2k.jpg

He was the creative director on For Honor.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
The way Rob talks to Jo sometimes is note for note how he often addresses Dennis when Dennis is being a psychopath.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I like about this series is that the video game aspects aren't terrible and immediately suck you out of the series. Partnering with Ubisoft was probably the one way to pull this off, but the games all feel like plausible products, from the Alto's Odyssey-type mobile game they demo at the con, to the Doom/Pathways into Darkness look of the 90s game in EP5.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Enjoying this so far. Episode 5 was great. Don't know yet if I'd recommend it to people like I would The Morning Show or Servant yet.

Not sure if anyone else as noticed this, or if im being unobservant but there seems to be a lack of Apple product placement.. Alienware computers instead of Apple stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying this so far. Episode 5 was great. Don't know yet if I'd recommend it to people like I would The Morning Show or Servant yet.

Not sure if anyone else as noticed this, or if im being unobservant but there seems to be a lack of Apple product placement.. Alienware computers instead of Apple stuff.
There's some iPhones and iPads in the background, but yeah. I wasn't surprised they wouldn't be developing on Macs, although I didn't expect some of the PC OEM logos being shown.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
There's a goof in Season 1, Episode 5. The scene is set in 1997, the commercial has the kid holding a Dreamcast controller and the DC didn't come out in the US until 9/9/99.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Does episode 5 come back inti play at some point?? Im watching 7 now and it hasnt had an impact on anything yet?

Oct 25, 2017
The show could have just been episode 5 and I would be happy.

Also, it made me mad about How I Met Your Mother again.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finished the season. Enjoyed it.

Did I miss something, or does episode 5 not play into the rest of the season at all? Also 9 is a random number of episodes. Most shows seem to go 8, 10, 12 or 13.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season up this morning and can't wait for the second season. Heck the second season just be about episode five.

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season. Enjoyed it.

Did I miss something, or does episode 5 not play into the rest of the season at all? Also 9 is a random number of episodes. Most shows seem to go 8, 10, 12 or 13.
You missed something.

The whole "Doc and Bean" thing with Ian and Poppy.

I also finished up the season this morning. Watched it on a whim last night and watched 7 episodes right there. Really enjoyed it and would love to see a second season.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw the first episode and I was entertained. If it's true that it gets better then that's great.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly surprised to read the positive impressions. Even if it takes episode 3 to get its groove, that's fine.

May 9, 2018
Not entirely sure why people say it's "Ubisoft Advertising"; the only Ubisoft references are the For Honor/Assassin's Creed transitions and references to Montreal. And you'd only know those if you are familiar with Ubisoft anyways.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
First episode was good but found the game shots in between scenes a bit jarring. Like one moment there is AC odyssey and another shows a last gen looking MMO. Are we supposed to think it's all from Mythic quest?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I just redeemed my free trial so I could watch this. The first episode didn't light my world on fire or anything but it was good enough to entice me to keep going. I'll be on a flight tomorrow and will be stuck in airports for several hours so I may binge through this thing while I'm away.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
As someone who loves IASIP and has worked in game dev for 20 years, I'm looking forward to checking this out based on thread feedback. Will report in.
Watched two episodes last night. It's fun to contrast the immediate reaction of "that's not how that works" against, say, enjoying 30 Rock, where I'm sure everyone who has worked on a tv show has similar "it's not like that" commentary. Although the strength there is that the writers are all television people, whereas none of MQ's writing staff looks like they have game dev experience. Pretty much nothing about how the team is structured/presented holds up under scrutiny to real game dev, except for the general disdain of influencers (I kid).

Aside from that, in general the characters are too superficial/shallow for the writing quality, but maybe it tightens up later in the series? The banter needs to execute a lot better if they're just going to do zingers back and forth. Or go much more surreal.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty decent. Could see it hitting my top 10 for 2020 list depending on how a few other series perform.

Episode 5, as solely it's own thing, was fantastic. It's not at all required viewing for the rest of the series at this point (end of season 1), but it does offer a decent parallel to the Ian/Poppy dynamic.

Some episodes are hit and miss, but I do see some similarities with shows like Community and Silicon Valley, with a hint of Always Sunny (though a lot of that is Mac and Rickety Cricket being here and not so much the writing, despite it being created by the likes of Mac and Charlie and Megan Ganz).

More than anything, it was nice seeing Mac and Cricket back on TV, along with Abed and Ash. Never seen the actress who played Poppy before, but she stole a lot of the scenes she was in too. Just a really decent ensemble and I'm happy to hear it's already renewed for another season.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I just finished the season and enjoyed it a lot
Episode 5 was really good
also really liked the scenes with Ash and F. Murray Abraham from I think episode 4

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I also don't think it's fair to say "it's just $5 a month" when it's another $5 a month on top of what you're paying for other streaming services as well.
im pretty sure the unspoken thing when people bring up "its just 5 dollars" in this thread is youd be insta-cancelling the sub so it doesnt renew making it more like renting something off of redbox for an evening and not adding on another monthly sub

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I finished today and all I have to say is I absolutely loved it.

Oh and Poppy was cute as hell.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Poppy kind of sucks

Lou is hilarious

Episode 6 is definitely my favorite so far

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Watched two episodes last night. It's fun to contrast the immediate reaction of "that's not how that works" against, say, enjoying 30 Rock, where I'm sure everyone who has worked on a tv show has similar "it's not like that" commentary. Although the strength there is that the writers are all television people, whereas none of MQ's writing staff looks like they have game dev experience. Pretty much nothing about how the team is structured/presented holds up under scrutiny to real game dev, except for the general disdain of influencers (I kid).

Aside from that, in general the characters are too superficial/shallow for the writing quality, but maybe it tightens up later in the series? The banter needs to execute a lot better if they're just going to do zingers back and forth. Or go much more surreal.
Ashly Burch is a writer, and though she's not a dev, I can confirm she knows a lot about the process. But sometimes it's just funnier to ignore it. ^^

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
First two eps were good, but it got great with episode 3. The writer of which was Megan.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There not being an app for this on my LG OLED continues to baffle me. I've either gotta settle for watching it on my phone or my MacBook.