• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Show is better than I thought. Kind of ambivalent towards the actor who plays Poppy. She's good, but her expressions are so over the top that I find her performance as distracting as I do entertaining.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen like 4 episodes now, and I haven't really liked it. There's something about it though that keeps pushing me to continue. I think this is the kind of show that'll grow into itself.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I have to add to the love for Episode 5.
Didn't think it would hit that hard. Wow
I also really enjoy the rest of the show as well

What exactly hit hard?

The fact that they were together then broke up and he regretted beeing an idiot?
Personally I thought it was a good episode, but seemed pretty useless in the grand scheme of things.

Although a nice callback to it in the last episode.

A funny show, very curious to see which direction they take Season 2 in.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly hit hard?

The fact that they were together then broke up and he regretted beeing an idiot?
Personally I thought it was a good episode, but seemed pretty useless in the grand scheme of things.

I don't get the it hard comments as well. That is one thing I like about the IASIP guys and how they have been doing these one off episodes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i think the second half is way stronger than the first. Poppy needs to have a little more fun and compelling storyline i think

The Craig Maizin (who created Chernobyl btw and played new tester guy) and Danny Pudi (money guy) were by far the highlights. Also Ian when he started being more insecure and scumbaggy instead of acting like a pompous auteur

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
"what if game development was so easy these blithe idiots could do it" was the vibe i got from the first episode

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Watched it all. Very funny and want a season 2 but.... The use of music is fairly disappointing here. Especially compared to Community and Sunny. As a result the show kinda lacks atmosphere and identity

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
This is way better than I would have expected.

but then again I like Sunny so maybe I shouldn't be that surprised

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Only watched 3 episodes so far, but this is a fun show. Hope it drives more eyeballs to Apple TV+. It's a solid service.

Lady Justice

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What exactly hit hard?

It hit me hard, because it reminded me of something similiar from my own life and it brought up a lot of feelings I had not thought about for a long time. Should have maybe clarified that.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it all, enjoyed it somewhat but that fifth episode spun out into an actual show might've been more interesting to me than what this was.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
It's pretty much Mac became a game dev and I'm ok with that. Thanks Era for making me aware of this. It's amazing. Got a lot of throwbacks to the games industry days too.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What was that screen they were using in 1997 (conference room) to show the handgun with laser sight? It looked like a white board, but it acted as a high resolution screen?

Also, what were they trying to convey with the ending - other than connecting both studios to the same publisher?

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching this over the weekend.

Episodes 1-4: I don't really like the tone and feeling kind of unsure about the cast and acting. A lot of problems but I'm kind of enjoying it overall. Still wondering how anyone with no interest or knowledge in games or the industry would follow or appreciate any of this.

Episode 5: Wow. I feel like I'm watching a different show. Excellent performances, good narrative and engaged in the story and characters. The tone is perfect. I want to see THIS show and not the one I was watching the last 4 episodes.

Interested to see where they take things now.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished ep 5. I'm loving this more and more. Really enjoy the characters and the humor, and the fact that the show is willing to deviate like it does in 5.

The fact that it's so solid with the gaming industry as the backdrop is just icing on the cake.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I am seeing that a lot of folks here liked it I did not I personally find each and everyone of these characters unlikable, except Ashly Burches character who is just quirky and just her playing herself.

But honestly this show seems to celebrate the corporate culture and just the self-absorbed nature, and represents the worst of the silicon valley culture while trying to be quirky about it.

You can tell UbiSoft was involved with this show with their oh look at how hip we are attitude, got a UBISOFT e3 conference vibe watching this.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am seeing that a lot of folks here liked it I did not I personally find each and everyone of these characters unlikable, except Ashly Burches character who is just quirky and just her playing herself.

But honestly this show seems to celebrate the corporate culture and just the self-absorbed nature, and represents the worst of the silicon valley culture while trying to be quirky about it.

That's the point. Most of the characters are supposed to be absurd. One of the episodes has their plot literally based around how shitty of a workplace and culture it is that Poppy can't escape from. Thinking that the show is celebrating corporate culture is a massive misread on the entire premise of the show imo.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
That's the point. Most of the characters are supposed to be absurd. One of the episodes has their plot literally based around how shitty of a workplace and culture it is that Poppy can't escape from. Thinking that the show is celebrating corporate culture is a massive misread on the entire premise of the show imo.

Ahh okay I have watched three episodes so far will probably not bother watching anymore.

I also don't find the humor funny at all but that's just me I guess.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I just watched episode 4 and as a woman who has a diploma in game dev and wanted to work in game dev but couldn't, I want to scream in a goddamn fucking pillow because it hit me like a fucking truck how raw and real this shit is. The bro monoculture is fucking real. And it breaks my heart.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first 2 episodes last night and enjoyed them quite a bit. Trailers had me a bit meh even though the show seemed very up my alley.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it while on a flight for a work trip yesterday. I enjoyed the show but I'm also rather mixed on it. Some episodes worked well (like Ep3 and Ep6) while some didn't (Ep2 and Ep7). Episode 5 was pretty amazing though; it reminded me of that last episode of It's Always Sunny's Season 13 where it kinda stopped and got very serious and heartfelt all of a sudden.

Poppy and Jo are the best characters by far. I actually didn't care much for Ashly Burch's character surprisingly, even though she's great in the role. The CW guy was rather annoying and I could have done without him. I think all of them have the potential to be better in a second season though.

Overall I like the show but I feel like there is a lot of potential for improvement and hopefully a Season 2 will accomplish that. I liked it enough to be excited for the next season, if they renew it.

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the season and it's an odd show. I don't think it was particularly funny, the humor is off and sometimes a little forced.... but I enjoyed the show overall for some reason. I think there is something there in the framework for a show that can really figure it out.

Edit: Maybe I'm crazy but Episode 5 was the worst episode. I didn't like Nick from New Guy and the other girls chemistry until their reunion at the store in the end. It was long and barely had a connection to the rest of the show. I was hoping to have it build into something bigger, like an introduction of the owner of the studio or how the studio was founded.

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Just finished episode 5 and came on Era to see how was everyone feeling about it. Glad im not the only one that absolutely loved it.
I'm liking the show in general, no masterpiece by any means but fully entertaining.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I feel like people loving episode 5 are mostly in it because of the nostalgia aspect of it all. I mean, it was a nice episode, but the subtext wasn't all that engaging and interesting to me. Episode 4 was much more spot on and accurate in terms of social criticism of the video game dev industry.
Episode 5 lowkey reminded me of Halt and Catch Fire though, except that Halt and Catch Fire is an exceptional TV show leaps and bounds better than it. And you should all watch it.

I finished watching the 1st season now, and while it is messy, and needs to find its pace and its voice, I overall enjoyed it. I would often turn around to my SO who's a game dev to get their insights on the accuracy of the show, and they nailed a lot of it tbh. Not all, of course, some things have to be romanticized and fictionalized cause it's a damn show after all, but the air of familiarity was strong to them, and I'm not surprised, it was strong to me too.

I'll be curious to see where S2 will go from there, this is gonna be interesting. I truly expected shit-tier garbage of a TV Show, but instead was pleasantly surprised overall. It's not too shabby at all.

Last edited:

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people loving episode 5 are mostly in it because of the nostalgia aspect of it all. I mean, it was a nice episode, but the subtext wasn't all that engaging and interesting to me. Episode 4 was much more spot on and accurate in terms of social criticism of the video game dev industry.
Episode 5 lowkey reminded me of Halt and Catch Fire though, except that Halt and Catch Fire is an exceptional TV show leaps and bounds better than it. And you should all watch it.
Happy to see others with this opinion on 5. I thought it was fine, but I was confused that people seemed to be so in love with it.

Enjoyed the show overall though, will definitely watch a season 2. I feel like it was starting to find itself toward the end a bit and I think they left themselves in a good spot for next season.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first season and I thought it was very hit or miss. The biggest problem I think it has is that, while it seems aware of the game industry's issues, it also doesn't actually want to portray it as a bad place to work in. The characters get frustrated with their work, for sure, but their job usually isn't the reason why they get frustrated. I feel like it's most apparent in the season finale when it has the workers unionize and demand to be paid overtime, but they don't actually demand their job to be better. The show even acknowledges that the workers have to deal with a shitton of crunch, but then has the workers go "oh, we don't care about having to crunch, we just want to be paid overtime". And even then that's just resolved at the end of the episode with barely any trouble at all. The show gets so close to dealing with the shit workers face, but then just stops before it gets anywhere.

Or just how it portrays being a QA tester, which is shown as just having fun playing games all day. And even at one point they have to crunch and do an all nighter and it's just portrayed as them being able to have fun at the office at night. The only time it is portrayed as awful is when a stereotypical gamer replaces Dana and makes life worse for Rachel.

Not that it gets everything wrong though. There is stuff it gets right, like online harassment (and really just the gaming community in general) being awful, and game monetization intentionally being designed to prey on the vulnerable. But again, it always feels like it stops short from portraying the industry as too messed up. The only time it does really try to portray the industry as shitty is when it's in the past. It feels as if Ubisoft (which co-produced this) told the show's writers to make sure they don't stop people from wanting to work for them. So the only ways it portrays the industry as awful is either in the past, because of the people who work at the studio this show is about being awful, or because of gamers being awful.

The other problem is just that the humor is incredibly hit or miss. I liked some episodes, but I also groaned through a lot of it.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
We watched the show over the weekend, and I also have mixed feelings about the show. Most of the characters I honestly don't like, because they are over the top horrible to each other. But I also never watched Sunny or Community, so I'm not all that familiar with that style of sitcom. I do like the Abraham writer character just cause he reminded me of a few people I've worked with before. :)

Also the game dev bits are hard to watch without your brain picking out inaccuracies. It doesn't actually make much sense as an MMO, and it's jarring to see the Ubisoft interstitials when compared to the ugly early 2000s extra cartoony blood look of the MQ game.

Also where the heck are the artists in this studio? You see the one concept artist briefly and then nothing, and we have the creative director and tech lead sitting around doing their own animation tweaks. I guess they didn't want to complicate the partnership angle with an art lead.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Early on, liking this except for the whole Pootie Shoe thing being way too prevelant.

You got a roster of deep talent in the cast, why is this kid getting more screen time than F Murray Abraham.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Just watched the first episode, thought it was pretty enjoyable. Kinda reminded me of Silicon Valley. I'm a huge IASIP fan, so it's cool seeing Mac and Cricket do different roles.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'm only four episodes in so far.

I don't think it's a great show, but I'm enjoying it for reasons that I can't quite describe.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it. Liked the characters but ultimately it's not very funny. Doesn't have to be Sunny funny/crazy but do more than what they gave us.

Oct 25, 2017
So the sloppy guy that becomes a game tester is Craig Mazin, the Emmy winning creator of Chernobyl.

He's also written some goofy comedies, but still, strange resume that guy's got.