• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Going to Hong Kong Airport on my way to Japan in two months...things better improve or Im going to be worried.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to Hong Kong Airport on my way to Japan in two months...things better improve or Im going to be worried.
I'm hoping that it is just a small thing and that the Chinese government isn't severely under-reporting the situation.
China tends to not do anything about small problems then do crazy af shit to solve out of control problems.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now I feel bad about going to PH in March. I hope it won't spread anymore :/
There are A LOT of Chinese tourists there.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So according to cnn*, the disease originated in a seafood market that was doubling as an exotic animal market where people can just buy any wild animal for consumption and they just had all the animals in pet cages like some kind of fucked up zoo - including the same animal that started SARS civet cats 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Graphic warning for the video.

*Chinese social media vids which got removed/cannot be verified

Last edited:

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

So according to cnn, the disease originated in a seafood market that was doubling as an exotic animal market where people can just buy any wild animal for consumption and they just had all the animals in pet cages like some kind of fucked up zoo.

This is unfortunately not an uncommon way to store animals meant to be put on the market in many, mostly developing, countries, and it is a serious problem for disease spread.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

So according to cnn, the disease originated in a seafood market that was doubling as an exotic animal market where people can just buy any wild animal for consumption and they just had all the animals in pet cages like some kind of fucked up zoo - including the same animal that started SARS civet cats 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Contagion

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Flying to Shanghai for a short trip after Chinese New Year.
Not great timing and since it is work related it will be hard to cancel. Better bring some vitamin supplements lol

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xwdWtQv.jpg

Not great timing and since it is work related it will be hard to cancel. Better bring some vitamin supplements lol
Prolly bring your own utensils and don't swap fluids with anyone.

This is unfortunately not an uncommon way to store animals meant to be put on the market in many, mostly developing, countries, and it is a serious problem for disease spread.
I think most of the animals are fine, but maybe don't store civet cats - the banned source of SARS.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
One weibo user from Wuhan said his mother was infected and dead. Body was cremated soon after and not counted in the official number.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I think most of the animals are fine, but maybe don't store civet cats - the banned source of SARS.

Well.....

The thing is all mammals and avians carry diseases. And those diseases usually do not cross the species border. Until they do. It's a risk in general to have any avian/mammal interaction. Birds and pigs carry influenza strains that can cross the border. Primates can infect one another. Bats have infected pigs which infected humans.

Banning one animal doesn't negate that. You generally want to separate species as best as possible. And containing them to limited areas where their urine, feces, and other bodily fluids can maintain contact ain't great. Butchering methods also leave a lot to be desired, as mixing blood and open wounds on humans is common.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
One weibo user from Wuhan said his mother was infected and dead. Body was cremated soon after and not counted in the official number.
Normally I'd take stuff like this with a pinch of salt but yeah, if there's 1 country which would try to hide or lessen the seriousness of the situation until it gets so out of control that it simply becomes impossible to hide the facts it would be China.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Actually getting better sleep will do better than multivitamins for most people. And stay hydrated on the plane.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of travelling in my schedule, I am terrified. Time to buy a mask.
Masks are actually for people to stop spreading the disease. Stops the cough/sneeze droplets. Your everyday clinical mask won't do much to prevent you from getting it. Unless it's one of those full face ones that are completely sealed.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so this thread freaked me out for a few seconds, my brother has been in hospital here in the UK all weekend after waking up early hours of Saturday morning unwell and the hospital realised he had pneumonia, he was put into a quarantine room as well because they weren't sure what caused it, so seeing this thread just now made me wonder, but apparently they are releasing him today and he is already getting better so now I can just go back to hoping that I don't end up catching something bad from someone on my plane flight to America in 3 weeks and then the flight I am taking for my honeymoon 8 days later to Hawaii......that would suck.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Masks are actually for people to stop spreading the disease. Stops the cough/sneeze droplets. Your everyday clinical mask won't do much to prevent you from getting it. Unless it's one of those full face ones that are completely sealed.

Well one thing they do to prevent a person from getting infected is that they decrease the likelyhoood of a person touching their nose or mouth with dirty hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.