• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
GOG may have clicked a button a little early, but it seems that Myst is getting remade by Cyan Worlds and is coming to Oculus Quest and other platforms.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I was going to make this very topic, but I had to show my mom first. Myst was the first game I ever remembered her playing back when I was little. The trailer definitely took her back.

Man, I can't wait for this to come out.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Excited about the puzzle randomization since at this point most of the solutions I can completely do by memory. Always happy to dive back into the world of Myst again!

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to make this very topic, but I had to show my mom first. Myst was the first game I ever remembered her playing back when I was little. The trailer definitely took her back.

I'm off to show this to my mum right now too. This and (shockingly) Baldur's Gate were huge for her.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Experience feeling really dumb all over again!

Nice. I hope Myst 3 gets this treatment. That was one of my first PC games.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oh man, this brings back memories. I never beat Myst either.

Now I'm aching for a remake of D. D and Myst were my childhood adventure games.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
This looks great but Myst has been remade like 5 times now. They need to throw money at Starry Expanse and get that Riven Remake done. They've been working on it for over a decade now.

Maybe that's the plan? Is it just me or does the end of the trailer sound like they're invoking Gehn's theme?

Oct 29, 2017
This is very exciting.
Also for those asking for Riven: good news. Last year Cyan bought the Starry Expanse project, a ground up remake in UE4 made by fans. Full VR support there too. Because it's a fan project, it's been taking it's time, but the word is that not only will the current team still be working on it, it will get Cyan development resources as well. Last I heard Cyan was still "vetting" all the project files.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
This looks great but Myst has been remade like 5 times now. They need to throw money at Starry Expanse and get that Riven Remake done. They've been working on it for over a decade now.

Maybe that's the plan? Is it just me or does the end of the trailer sound like they're invoking Gehn's theme?

If this Myst remake does well, it could bring much needed funds for the Riven Remake and/or get a publisher willing to assist funding it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yessssss, finally!

Obduction is pretty cool, but come on. This is what I've been waiting for.

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This is very exciting.
Also for those asking for Riven: good news. Last year Cyan bought the Starry Expanse project, a ground up remake in UE4 made by fans. Full VR support there too. Because it's a fan project, it's been taking it's time, but the word is that not only will the current team still be working on it, it will get Cyan development resources as well. Last I heard Cyan was still "vetting" all the project files.
That's fantastic news!
I was just about to look into what had happened to it cause I hadn't heard about it in a while. They seem to really care about their projects and their legacy. I just found out Myst Online was still up thanks to their own servers and even got a content update recently. All to keep a very small group of people happy and engaged and I think that's awesome.

I guess Obduction did well enough for them, then?

Oct 29, 2017
That's fantastic news!
I was just about to look into what had happened to it cause I hadn't heard about it in a while. They seem to really care about their projects and their legacy. I just found out Myst Online was still up thanks to their own servers and even got a content update recently. All to keep a very small group of people happy and engaged and I think that's awesome.

I guess Obduction did well enough for them, then?
That seems to be the implication, yes. Probably a combo of that, RealMyst: ME, and getting all the old Myst games including the Ubisoft ones updates to run on modern computers and putting them out again.

Really exciting to see Cyan doing stuff again and not just porting Myst to the DS or whatever

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Having finally played all the way through Myst for the first time a couple years back, let me say: Myst is not a good game in the modern context. Everything is a slog, and many of the puzzles are unsatisfying.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Having finally played all the way through Myst for the first time a couple years back, let me say: Myst is not a good game in the modern context. Everything is a slog, and many of the puzzles are unsatisfying.
I also played it for the first time recently and had an absolute blast, especially with the puzzles that were a bit more out there.

Mar 30, 2019
Cool. I wasn't really feeling the first 30 mins of realMyst and put it on the backburner. Now with this trailer I don't feel like a D'ni for putting it down. A Riven remake sounds fantastic too.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
I hope this does well, so I can look forward to traveling through the underwater tunnels in Riven at hypersonic speed in VR. And promptly keeling over from nausea.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Need to see the price before I jump in. Already have like 3 other versions of Myst and I like how the original and RealMyst looks just fine.

VR would be cool, but I have yet to get a VR headset.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

I understand where you're coming from. Myst was popular because of many things including the dazzling sound and graphics that CD ROMS offered, the puzzle-like nature and lack of "gaming tropes" (lives, scores, violence, complex controls) that appealed to our parents and grandparents.

It was just a perfect storm of sorts. Yes, the actual puzzles aren't groundbreaking, but the atmosphere was something never seen at the time.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Is this VR exclusive or will it also work as a fancy Myst remake you can just play normally? Always been interested in playing Myst and this'd be a nice way to experience it, but I haven't the money or desire to get a VR headset.

Is that what 2D Platforms means? Are we just calling non VR games 2D Platform games now? I'm so confused. Is this what getting old feels like?

Nov 5, 2017
I'm conflicted. MYST VR makes a ton of sense, and I'm excited for it, but as was pointed out, this'll be the 4th or 5th time it's been remade. Can we show Riven some love? That game is begging for a full 3D remake.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I understand where you're coming from. Myst was popular because of many things including the dazzling sound and graphics that CD ROMS offered, the puzzle-like nature and lack of "gaming tropes" (lives, scores, violence, complex controls) that appealed to our parents and grandparents.

It was just a perfect storm of sorts. Yes, the actual puzzles aren't groundbreaking, but the atmosphere was something never seen at the time.
Dude, in 1992 or whatever Myst was THE FUCKING SHIT. It's generally credited as being the major factor in driving CD-ROM adoption in PCs in the early 90's. (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2008/09/this-day-in-hardware-history-myst-puts-cd-rom-on-the-map/)

Every time I talk about the disappointing state of VR, I say that VR is still waiting for its "Myst moment." Something that provides an experience so strikingly different than anything before it that you're willing to go out and spend hundreds of dollars to be able to experience it. Because that was the effect of Myst when you saw it in the 90's. That was a time when you'd go to computer shows held in warehouses and people would be showing off their color monitors by displaying static color images or, if it was really cool, maybe some Star Wars footage (not full screen of course; don't be crazy). So seeing the quality of the environments, the quicktime footage that made you feel like you were moving through the world in 3D, and the interactive video snippets left you completely gobsmacked. A total revelation.

But that was then and this is now. Nowadays we have hundreds of games that were inspired, directly or indirectly, by Myst and have iterated and improved on its then-groundbreaking atmosphere and puzzle mechanics. So while as a piece of history it's still very interesting, as an actual game to play I don't think it's a lot of fun.

I've been meaning to get around to Obduction, though. Very curious to see what the Myst guys cooked up for that.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Wow Myst in VR makes a ton of sense. Cool!

That was my thought when they did that KS last year for a VR title. This was pretty inevitable. Hope it's a successful project!

I'm conflicted. MYST VR makes a ton of sense, and I'm excited for it, but as was pointed out, this'll be the 4th or 5th time it's been remade. Can we show Riven some love? That game is begging for a full 3D remake.

Budget. Riven is a much larger game than Myst. That means bigger budget, and while Myst was really successful the series as a whole is pretty niche but has a really dedicated fan base.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar

I'm off to show this to my mum right now too. This and (shockingly) Baldur's Gate were huge for her.
Your Mums: Myst and Baldur's Gate.

My Mum: Tetris and Solitaire.

Aug 10, 2019
giphy.gif

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not being Oculus exclusive is exciting. Myst (and Riven) hold a special place in my childhood from being overly confused/annoyed when it launched (I was very young) to enjoying it quite a bit a few years later.

I wonder what they'll do with the live action stuff. Probably 3d modeled characters, but I wonder if they re-do the voices?