• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
its a shame that the original renders for riven are no longer usable or attainable. it could really use a high-res or even just 24-bit color makeover like myst masterpiece. it's still easily one of the most brilliant and beautiful adventure/puzzle games of all time, and the original red orb dvd release is one of the most treasured parts of my collection. one of the few games i'd even consider calling perfect.

the only game i really don't care to revisit is 4, mostly due to the retconning of various important plot elements and the weird body swap stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Backed at 49, mostly due to the fact that there is a sane delivery time and Cyan has a good history so far for actually delivering what they promise.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Oh this kickstarter is BULLSHIT

I doubt there will be any patches.

I'll have a wait and see approach, because if Myst IV gets a Windows 10 patch it should work for all owners of the game, not just this compilation anyway.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
That linking book is really cool. But too rich for my blood.

On another note, Myst VR seems like a no brainer at this point.

Last edited:

DoomGaze

Nov 16, 2017
This is exciting but I hope they do more than just re-release them. It's been 25 years and point and click should be an enormous departure from what it once meant.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got Myst and Riven already but wouldn't mind a collection of the entire series in a modern package.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
This series lost me with Myst III when they switched to 3D graphics. Riven was arguably too large in scope, but it was beautiful looking and the transition to 3D graphics felt like a step backwards.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Myst was the first game I bought when I got a PC in 97'. It didn't have a sound card at first so trying to do those puzzles with the bird noises was impossible but once I did, damn was it a great experience, then Riven came and topped it in every way for myself. If I can find the money i'd love to get this.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have to be honest that $49 digital pack seems kind of expensive considering how cheap some of those games have been on sale. I got Riven from GOG for like three bucks. Also weird no tier comes with soundtracks. Also would be nice if they specified if these updated games can run on Windows 7 too.

This series lost me with Myst III when they switched to 3D graphics. Riven was arguably too large in scope, but it was beautiful looking and the transition to 3D graphics felt like a step backwards.

Myst III still used CGI backgrounds though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
wait i'm out

you can ship to Chad, Papua New Guinea, the Maldives and even in palestinian territories but you can't ship to brazil? are you fucking kidding me?

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
This is pretty clearly a fundraiser for their new game (which they have openly stated they currently do not have funding for).

That said I am really happy Exile is getting a Windows 10 patch. Fingers crossed this fixes the Amateria 100% gameplay blocker that is currently present.

People should back this to hell and back to tell Cyan that Myst is worth investing in. It is one of the best worlds ever made for video games and deserves a new game.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I might be the only one but I remember playing the first one as a kid at my aunt's house and I actually found it to be kind of scary. Well, maybe not scary, but weirdly unsettling. There was something about the vibe of the game that really freaked me out.

Would love to try it again as an adult.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Was myst ever good? I played trough it at release and kind of went "meh" but then my parents and lots of people who normally never played videogames went nuts about it.

Myst was very good for the time it was released and the technology it is based on. It was Cyans first game of this scope, so it is not perfect. But it is a good game on its own and it is especially worth to play it so you can play Riven afterwards which still is one of the best adventure games of all time.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy that Linking Book, but not for $170.

I have all the games on disc already too.

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny seeing the portfolio of the artefact creators. They were the ones responsible for this
ee2eed_5cf6725de34349129d5363b0c5feac90.webp

I can imagine all the lucky bookshelves across the world that this thing adorns.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I wonder how much they're able to do with Riven. It's an impossible dream but I badly hope they can upres it

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The working Myst book is cool but you wil open it a few times... sit on a shelf... battery eventually runs dry.

Years later you open it again and the screen in dead. Easy to replace the battery?

It's definitely cool but very nick nacky.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
OMG yes, i played only the first one (remastered), just a bit of Riven, Myst IV revelation (my favourite one) and a bit of URU.

As a fan of the Journeyman Project i've always wanted to play Myst III Exile but it is soo rare to find, hopefully they will release these games with the subs.

Last edited:

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I wonder how much they're able to do with Riven. It's an impossible dream but I badly hope they can upres it

i remember an interview where they basically said most of the renders were lost, and the ones they do have are in an ancient, unusable format. outside of a complete remake, riven will forever remain a low-res, low-color work of unprecedented beauty. :(

Myst is good

Riven is the greatest adventure game ever made

it really is (it also works beautifully in scummvm now, if people can't wait for this version)

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I have to be honest that $49 digital pack seems kind of expensive considering how cheap some of those games have been on sale. I got Riven from GOG for like three bucks. Also weird no tier comes with soundtracks. Also would be nice if they specified if these updated games can run on Windows 7 too.

Myst III still used CGI backgrounds though.

I feel the same. Considering just how cheap and old the games are for them to just be Win10 compatible isn't really all that exciting of a pitch for $49. I was hoping for some kind of real improvements to the games.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I want to dish on the book but oh man I just can't afford it. I guess I should put my efforts into actually finishing a Riven playthrough one day.