• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that United States only observes but never intervenes in situations like this? Not enough oil in Myanmar?

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And why are we still pretending that it's just the military that's responsible for the Rohingya genocide? Majority of people in Myanmar support that genocide. Are we going to start seeing them as evil in history books long after the Rohingya are all gone.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Just came across this on YouTube. Having a clause in your constitution that allows the military to take over when they seem necessary while also being the opposing party... yikes.

The ongoing genocide is well known and unless the country opens up, which is a major point in this election, there is nothing the normal world players can do(besides invade another sovereign nation). Once open and joining the table then sanctions can come into play.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't the world already hate the US for always interfering with international politics beyond itself? Always complaining that we police the world?
True but sometimes intervention is better than not doing anything. Was going to war with Nazi Germany policing the world? I am not saying we should go to war with Myanmar. But if we have the power, why not use it for some good for a change.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Aung San Suu Kyi losing her position will effect the Rohingya. Even though she doesn't support them I feel like she would still be better than military rule
I mean, under her their was genocide and she tried to justify it, so nothing changes with or without her. She's a disgraced piece of shit, Myanmar is a hell hole no matter whoa currently in charge.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this will help the Rohingya sadly. They are forgotten about and the oppressors will continue doing what they are doing. I really hope I am wrong but I just don't see it happening.

As for Aung San Suu Kyi, she fully deserves this treatment. She is a piece of shit. Who ever decided to give her a peace prize should be ashamed. She has blood on her hands and should be seen that way.

Fuck her and fuck her supporters and other people like her.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
True but sometimes intervention is better than not doing anything. Was going to war with Nazi Germany policing the world? I am not saying we should go to war with Myanmar. But if we have the power, why not use it for some good for a change.
I don't think anyone, even the most hawkish neocon, would argue that attacking the Burmese military would lead to good outcomes here. Do you, really?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Aung San Suu Kyi is a bigoted, genocidal piece of trash and gotta say, it's embarrassing that so much of western news media is acting like it's a shame she's been imprisoned again. Yes, military coups are bad and so on, but few deserve a jail cell more than Suu Kyi.

I mean I think the shame here is the military coup, as I'm not exactly getting the impression that the military coup will result in anything other than a bigoted, genocidal regime.

History shows that overwhelmingly, intervention is just as bad as doing nothing.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I mean, under her their was genocide and she tried to justify it, so nothing changes with or without her. She's a disgraced piece of shit, Myanmar is a hell hole no matter whoa currently in charge.
Sadly yeah, Im just hoping that the genocide wont be escalated.

Even if the US actually cared the people of Myanmar and wanted to do something good for once. Invading a country on the border of China in modern times in the name of democracy, would only make things worse for everyone.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Regardless what happens, military arrests opposite leaders and declares state of emergency is Trump and GOP nutjob's wet dream.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Why is it that United States only observes but never intervenes in situations like this? Not enough oil in Myanmar?
And why are we still pretending that it's just the military that's responsible for the Rohingya genocide? Majority of people in Myanmar support that genocide. Are we going to start seeing them as evil in history books long after the Rohingya are all gone.

Why the hell would you want the US to 'intervene' in another country? That never goes well.

Also you're dangerously close to labelling an entire nation as 'evil'.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is such a fucked up ethical issue.
On the one hand she is guilty of genocide but on the other the military is unlikely to make things better and are likely to continue the genocide.

It's fucked up that we basically have to defend the Genocide Lady in this instance.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Myanmar has borders with China and close to Tibet. The CCP will raise hell if America tries to intervene in Myanmar.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017

read up on USA intervention in the region since the 60s to get clearer picture.
Try this documentary for starter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Act_of_Killing

nothing good ever come from US poking it nose in Southeast Asia

It probably depends on the nature of the interference.
Why would the CCP back a military coup in Myanmar?

China is currently the 2nd biggest foreign investor in Myanmar, right after Singapore.
As bad as it is, the Junta will keep their investment safe while a war due to US intervention will not

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
China is currently the 2nd biggest foreign investor in Myanmar, right after Singapore.
As bad as it is, the Junta will keep their investment safe while a war due to US intervention will not
So why would China assume that the military coup will protect their investments in Myanmar?
Seems like the opposite would be true.
And who said anything about America? This has nothing to do with them.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
So why would China assume that the military coup will protect their investments in Myanmar?

because technically the Junta have been in charge for 50 odd years, and they just let Su kyi play democracy for a few years while actually still being in charge. So this is just a return to the old status quo which is why it won't be a big deal for China.

err... you replied to somebody that said this ?

Myanmar has borders with China and close to Tibet. The CCP will raise hell if America tries to intervene in Myanmar.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
People in the west have a tendency to project their own political goals and ideas on to others while not having a clue about the political and social dynamics on the ground. That's why the Afghan and Iraq Wars went so miserably and why Suu Kyi was held up as a paragon of virtue. The only things the west and Suu Kyi had in common was some nebulous idea of shared support for electoral democracy. Any room for nuance falls to the way side.

You're seeing the same thing with Navalny in Russia right now. A political darling in parts of the west who would quickly denounce him if they knew he was a far-right Russian nationalist who hates Muslims almost as much as Suu Kyi.
Navalny may be a terrible person but he's triggered a more pronounced movement against Putin's rule than before. Ideally, he doesn't stay as the leader of the protests but they go on and take their own form.

It really is sad how little we know of all that's transpired in Myanmar and how little exposure it's given.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody went to war with Nazi Germany for anything as righteous as saving the Jews or opposing Facism so it wasn't anything like a police action. The underlying question of if we have the power should we use it is still a valid question and we've had a few middling successes on that front in the past century but I'm not in the know enough to even pretend to know if it had a chance in hell of succeeding here or not.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The UN needs to intervene, not just the US, but there's China there so who knows what will happen I guess :\

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe too early to say but is there any creedence to the fraud claims or is that really just the blueprint for every coup

Aung San Suu Kyi was really mostly a puppet of the military, behind the scene they were still very much in control, so I doubt anyone else than the military would have the power to commit election fraud in Myanmar.

When have Western military interventions ever made things better in recent years? The situations in Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya are all a mess. Germany is the outlier, not the rule.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck her. She calling for protests lol. When the Muslims were being massacred San Suu Kyi had no problem with it but once again she's all about getting hers.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Why do people think the military might stop the genocide when they were more than happy to execute it before? This coup if anything just proves that they weren't just "following orders"

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Nazi Germany had started a world war and had open intentions to literally taking over Europe and who knows what else after that. There was already evidence they were committing huge massacres against Jews (even if the true extent wasn't fully known before the war) and on top of it all they were working on the atom bomb. Joining WW2 wasn't just morally justified, there were also good economic and strategic reasons for the US to join in.

You compare that to some small insular nation in East Asia that has never shown outside aggression (to my knowledge), isn't really all that important economically for anything really and the only minority they are treating like shit isn't too popular in the West either. There would be no support from the population for such an invasion, nor much strategic justification.

Also, if the Vietnam war has shown anything, then maybe that such invasions would likely not be welcomed by the locals either? And this would turn into Vietnam 2.0 quite quickly when you need to actually hold and establish control for a while.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017

The military has been threatening a coup since November. China was in Myanmar 3 weeks ago meeting with the military. I don't think its far fetched they would have received the blessing from China before they took over the country.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The military has been threatening a coup since November. China was in Myanmar 3 weeks ago meeting with the military. I don't think it is far fetched they would have received the blessing from China before they took over the country.

If there is something that the communist party in China don't like is a coup and change of powers, in any nation. Mostly because they don't want someone in China getting the same idea.
And definitively they don't want any political instability in Myanmar due to the investments and the Road and Belt thing. Close tie doesn't mean that they are a puppet state.

Anyway it's the interest for everyone in the region to resolve the situation without any more trouble, let's hope that happen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 85264

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2020
I wish peace and move towards democracy in Myanmar.

She's an atrocious human being - there's no celebration in a coup taking over.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to imagine Rohingya Muslims getting fucked over harder than they were with the military committing literal genocide, including mass murder, raiding, raping, and burning down their villages.
www.bbc.com

What you need to know about the Rohingya crisis - BBC News

Who are they, why are they fleeing from Myanmar and what is the international community doing?

But I'm sure they'll figure it out, and the world won't bat an eye.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes is super frustrating how US centric this forum is. There is a whole world outside it's borders and topics like this of major significance get like 5 comments

Reminds me of the first 2 months of COVID where too many people were still taking it lightly thinking it was a far-off problem on the other side of the world.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Fuck her. She calling for protests lol. When the Muslims were being massacred San Suu Kyi had no problem with it but once again she's all about getting hers.

Yup. Pretty much. She'd have better success calling Bono to protest for her. Atrocious how she played the sympathy card when she was imprisoned and once things turned out for the better she milkshake duck'd and supported the monsters that put her in prison and blamed the Rohingyas for Myanmar's problems.

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine spending all your international goodwill defending a genocide only to get locked up by the perpetrators the very second it suits them.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Get fucked, Aung San Suu Kyi. You reap what you sow you genocide defending shitbag.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way for her and her ilk to stand trial for their genocidal crimes against the Rohingya without plunging Myanmar into a military strong-arm government again?
Her crime would be defending the military's actions publicly, and it's easy to see why she did it - because speaking out against it wouldn't have stopped anything and likely caused the immediate overthrow of her government. The military wrote the constitution she served under. It gave their political party guaranteed seats in the parliament, a veto on legislation, and their informal power forced her to accept military representatives in her administration. The military even legally had the right to take back full control if they deemed it necessary - which is what they just did.

And no, there isn't any alternative to her and her party when it comes opposition to the military in Myanmar. She remains immensely popular among the majority population. It's presumably that that did her in - the military felt threatened and humiliated by how their party got demolished in the elections last year, and probably want to ensure that future elections, should they happen, turn out more to their liking.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Her crime would be defending the military's actions publicly, and it's easy to see why she did it - because speaking out against it wouldn't have stopped anything and likely caused the immediate overthrow of her government. The military wrote the constitution she served under. It gave their political party guaranteed seats in the parliament, a veto on legislation, and their informal power forced her to accept military representatives in her administration. The military even legally had the right to take back full control if they deemed it necessary - which is what they just did.

And no, there isn't any alternative to her and her party when it comes opposition to the military in Myanmar. She remains immensely popular among the majority population. It's presumably that that did her in - the military felt threatened and humiliated by how their party got demolished in the elections last year, and probably want to ensure that future elections, should they happen, turn out more to their liking.

It may well not of stopped anything but this a women who champions human rights. A nobel peace award winner. It was inexcusable for her to downplay the massacres and to try and turn it into some conspiracy where the world was lying and no massacres or mass rapes were happening.

I found this an interesting resd:

medium.com

The Failure of Aung San Suu Kyi

‘The Hidden History of Burma’, unearths the deep roots of Burma’s economic, social and political challenges.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
It may well not of stopped anything but this a women who champions human rights. A nobel peace award winner. It was inexcusable for her to downplay the massacres and to try and turn it into some conspiracy where the world was lying and no massacres or mass rapes were happening.
That would more or less have demolished any progress made towards democratization of the country. And lets be clear - the persecution of the Rohingya is not some lone, isolated event in Myanmar's history. The country has over a 100 minority groups and ethnic tensions in part led to the military seizing power in the 60s, and there has been conflicts with them ever since. The military's attacks on the Karen people for example, seems just as horrible as what was done to the Rohingya.

Even if it was ugly and painful, the slow inching towards a more open and democratic society would have been the only way to actually put a stop to this. Leaving the military in power more or less ensures that it goes on.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this will help the Rohingya sadly. They are forgotten about and the oppressors will continue doing what they are doing. I really hope I am wrong but I just don't see it happening.

As for Aung San Suu Kyi, she fully deserves this treatment. She is a piece of shit. Who ever decided to give her a peace prize should be ashamed. She has blood on her hands and should be seen that way.

Fuck her and fuck her supporters and other people like her.
...of course this won't help the Rohingya Muslims. It will actually get worse i imagine, it was the same military that committed the genocide that just did a coup.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That would more or less have demolished any progress made towards democratization of the country. And lets be clear - the persecution of the Rohingya is not some lone, isolated event in Myanmar's history. The country has over a 100 minority groups and ethnic tensions in part led to the military seizing power in the 60s, and there has been conflicts with them ever since. The military's attacks on the Karen people for example, seems just as horrible as what was done to the Rohingya.

Even if it was ugly and painful, the slow inching towards a more open and democratic society would have been the only way to actually put a stop to this. Leaving the military in power more or less ensures that it goes on.

I fully understand that but you cannot on one hand be a champion for human rights and then sit back and watch a Geonicide of any people. Its hard to have any sympathy for her current plight after her comments regarding the Rohingya.

All her statements did was make it look like any moves towards democracy would not include the participation of the Rohingya people.

Oct 27, 2017
...why would this help the Rohingya Muslims? It would actually get worse i imagine, it was the same military that committed the genocide that just did a coup.
Oh I didn't mean to imply she is the reason this is happening. The military like you say were the ones commiting the crimes and she was supporting them and so were many civilians.