• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalehr

Oct 29, 2017
It isnt a fault or a feature, it is just realistically what high end graphics cards have nowadays. Some are worse than others, akin to DSE on a LCD TV. I've seen probably 8 different PS5s between all my friends and all have had coil whine.

I'd agree that it's always there at some level, mostly unnoticeable to the average ear. When it gets bad enough to be noticeable I would consider that a fault. Especially if their are DIY instructions to fix or dampen it.

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
I'd agree that it's always there at some level, mostly unnoticeable to the average ear. When it gets bad enough to be noticeable I would consider that a fault. Especially if their are DIY instructions to fix or dampen it.
Yeah I suppose I sit close to my PS5 and I can only hear it when my soundbar is on mute.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, when you can hear your PS5 on the other side of your house, it's a problem nobody is going to tolerate.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I have divine luck when it comes to consoles. The only ones that have ever broken on me were an original Xbox and an Xbox 360.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely seems like a hardware issue. My second replacement 360 was displaying graphical errors before it gave up the ghost.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP have you had your power checked for stability and how are you setting your console up? Is it in an entertainment center with the sides closed and just the front open? You could be cooking them. If your power is dirty in your place could be knocking them out. This would be incredibly bad luck to get three bad consoles. Before you spend more money do some checking on your setup and make sure you aren't accidentally killing the consoles.

Edit: Reread and realized both the ps5s were for coil whine not a dead system. That's a design flaw not really a console going bad. You probably are just unlucky with the Series X.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Coil whine doesn't make the PS5 "faulty" it can be slightly annoying but that doesn't make it broken.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I have both, no issues. My PS5 has slight coil whine while playing demanding titles, and makes some noise. Other than that, perfect during gameplay

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Coil whine can be annoying, but it does not mean the console is faulty. You've really only had one issue here.

PolskiGamer17

Oct 27, 2017
My PS5 has coilwhine while playing ps5. Quality modes are quiter than performance modes. My series X is dead silent. Which is good of course

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
If you're still within warranty, just spring for a warranty repair or replacement. You can keep diagnosing it but something is clearly wrong here and it's best to just let MS take care of it.

this. after several months, i suddenly had wireless connection problems with my series s. repair/replacement service was excellent, & thing've been fine since. it sucks, but, yeah - just do it...

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
OP how are you storing your consoles?

you could try this:
-unplug power cord from the system
-press the power button a few times then press and hold for 10 seconds. let the console sit for 10 minutes.
-plug it back in and check again.
-this will clear the system cache which can cause numerous issues if it gets corrupt. However visual corruption is usually a sign of a faulty chip or overheating.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Hopefully you can get that defective Series X replaced, OP. Assuming it is indeed faulty hardware? Visual artifacts sound like it's either running too hot, or the hardware is a lemon.

Controller aside, the coil whine in the PS5 isn't really a "fault" - it's endemic to the design and components of the console. It's working as intended, and I guess Sony determined it wasn't a big issue (which aside from the odd thread here about it, seems to have mostly been correct). I haven't noticed it with mine, but I also haven't really sat and silently listened for it.

It isnt a fault or a feature, it is just realistically what high end graphics cards have nowadays. Some are worse than others, akin to DSE on a LCD TV. I've seen probably 8 different PS5s between all my friends and all have had coil whine.

I thought the coil whine with the PS5 was traced back to the power supply?

I think I recall either Gamers Nexus or Spawn Wave during their teardowns of the consoles pointing out that the Series X PSU had opted for some kind of dampening "foam" in the enclosure that Sony did not use in the PS5.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
While coil whine is certainly annoying, it's not "faulty hardware" and it's definitely been a case of people growing increasingly sensitive to it due to the uptick in conversation surrounding it.

Graphical artifacting is a sign of real trouble but if you're not seeing it in screenshots or video, the source is likely not a faulty console.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
As others have said, it is very weird that you've had two faulty PS5s and a faulty Series X. Are you sure your electrical current is steady/dependable? Could be an issue with your electrical wiring.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
The Xbox is the only unit that I'd consider faulty here. Coil whine is common in high-end video cards and not at all indicative of a defective system.

At this point coil white on sony stuff should be considered a feature and not a defect since it's kinda hit or miss since the pro launched.

Both my pros had coil white, i think the replacement i got sent from RMA was a bit worse than the first.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Only PS5 on launch day failure since my RROD 360.

Edit: But the disc drive on the PS5 can f-off. All I hear playing a game is eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Like some pointed out, unless it's crazy loud, coil whine isn't a defect unfortunately… You'll hear coil whine on the majority of the PS5 if not all of them.
It sucks if you have to play close to the console but it's faint enough to forget it in my case.

Dr.Osiris

Oct 14, 2018
Never had problems with either sony or xbox (though xbox has significantly less use).

2 x ps3
3 x ps4
1 x ps5

1 x 360
2 x xbox one elite
1 x xbox one x
1 x series x

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
It's happened to you for both of your PS5s, and will probably happen with your next one... either you have super hearing or you're over exaggerating.
Or you know....The consoles were faulty.
OP you should get a replacement just in case even if you aren't sure that it's a problem with your xbox or not.

I was lucky enough to never have major problems with any console except faulty DS4/DS3 controllers and JoyCons.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
That sucks man. You must be terribly unlucky. I've got both a Series X and a PS5 and both have been perfect. In fact, I bought pretty much all consoles launch last gen too and 0 issues. I often wonder how widespread these issues really are.
You know that. Only console I've had an issue with was the 360, for obvious reasons. Never had a problem with anything else.

If you've managed to be 'unlucky' enough to have 3 go on you in potentially a little over a year. Maybe look inwards as to why it's happening. Just a thought.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I consider myself lucky every time i read something like this.

The only system that made problems for me were the original 360. 4 360s broke over the span of 3 years. Since the 360 slim nothing happened anymore. Also one 3DS display was broken but i saw that right in the store after buying it. They gave me a different one and everything was fine.

Coil Whine is not a defect. Again something that i had luck so far, even my PS5 has only minimal audible coil whine in certain games.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Nah, in terms of hardware failures X360 and early PS3 models were the worst. I had 5 FAT PS3s die on me.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Bit of a useless rant here but it kinda annoys me when people call it coil whine. It's whir from a film capacitor. Still not defective and is very much considered normal but that doesn't mean OP wasn't right to return it. I think in their case though, where they placed their PS5s may have been exacerbating the noise. I had mine on a wooden TV cabinet before and when I moved it to a steel shelving unit in the corner of the room, it definitely got louder.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
yeah that doesn't sound normal

+1 for check your electricity/electrician

When i moved into a new place I thought my PS5 nearly bricked and powered off ...but i then noticed the same thing happening with my PS4... i later found out the electrician that wired the place probably cut some corners or something. other things (hairdryer, projector, etc.) on the power chain plugged in other rooms disrupted the media section of my living room and would trip the breaker

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't consider this even in the top 3 of worst launch consoles ever.
1) 360 RROD
2) PlayStation 1 laser issues
3) PlayStation 2 Blue Disc reading issues

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
360 was the absolute worst of all time. I don't know a single friend who didn't go through at least 1. I had 2 break on me. One friend had SEVEN. What a crazy time that was. RRoD baby.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
Based on what you're describing here, this makes the visual issues you're encountering sound more like a video processing issue re: moiré patterns on your display. (To clarify: Meaning a possible quirk to how your TV/display handles certain visual patterns in certain modes, and not a fault in your GPU)

An example I can give from first-hand experience is a TCL display where trees in certain games would appear purple or rainbow-like for no apparent reason. This was a negative side-effect of the sub-pixel processing the TV utilized when in a non-scaled mode, as the games showing this symptom happened to use super-fine grid patterns for distant alpha layers. I assumed I had a GPU issue until I realized that recording video clips showed none of the artifacts I was seeing in-person.

I'd recommend testing your system on a completely different display, or at a different resolution to see if the visual issues persist.

This post needs more attention. Try a different display.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely recording the anomalies in clips. I misunderstood while trying to read you guys too fast while going back to problem solve one last time. I thought you meant game clips on the store. What I don't understand is that now there are no issues in Tiny Tina's Wonderlands after having issues but Psychnauts 2 and Halo Infinite have them pretty badly. If it was a GPU issue wouldn't it be the same no matter what?

My TV is a Sony 900f.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely recording the anomalies in clips. I misunderstood while trying to read you guys too fast while going back to problem solve one last time. I thought you meant game clips on the store. What I don't understand is that now there are no issues in Tiny Tina's Wonderlands after having issues but Psychnauts 2 and Halo Infinite have them pretty badly. If it was a GPU issue wouldn't it be the same no matter what?

My TV is a Sony 900f.
If the artifacts show up in your recorded video clips (and also when viewed on another device, to be sure), then it's very likely a GPU/RAM issue and a warranty replacement is recommended. It may come and go depending on heat, random which ram chips get the data, etc.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I contacted Microsoft and after doing what they asked of me, it's obvious that the console needs shipped out to them. I'm just waiting for their phone call.

I've been told that I should return it to Walmart (bought through Walmart Plus) and get my money back. I've already waited since my two extremely negative PS5 launch experiences (ignoring those who troll those unfortunate) and a long time has passed. Plus I'm now invested heavily in Game Pass Ultimate (three years) and I'd like to get to finally play some. I'm just going to bite the bullet and send them the console.

I don't really want to have paid for what is essentially going to be a refurbished console unless I'm lucky and they give me a new one. But fighting for these consoles is tough and I would rather not go through trying to buy my fourth new console. I did enjoy how whisper quiet the hardware is.

On a side note, I found both systems to be really impressive in terms of hardware and software features. Both UI's are very nice. Those who have bought normal functioning consoles have to be having a blast. Both companies have quite a bit to offer and it's a shame I have to wait a bit longer before jumping in. I just hope any special promotions don't occur until after I get my console back.

Last edited:

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I contacted Microsoft and after doing what they asked of me, it's obvious that the console needs shipped out to them. I'm just waiting for their phone call.

I've been told that I should return it to Walmart (bought through Walmart Plus) and get my money back. I've already waited since my two extremely negative PS5 launch experiences (ignoring those who troll those unfortunate) and a long time has passed. Plus I'm now invest in Game Pass and I'd like to get to finally play some. I'm just going to bite the bullet and send them the console.

I don't really want to have paid for what is essentially going to be a refurbished console unless I'm lucky and they give me a new one. But fighting for these consoles is tough and I would rather not go through trying to buy my fourth new console.

On a side note, I found both systems to be really impressive in terms of hardware and software features. Both UI's are very nice. Those who have bought normal functioning consoles have to be having a blast. Both companies have quite a bit to offer and it's a shame I have to wait a bit longer before jumping in.
If you speak to support they might extend your subscription for the duration you have to wait for the replacement console.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
OK this is weird. I tried sticking the HDMI cable in a different slot and Wonderlands does not have any issues but Psychonauts still does. What does that mean?

All I can say is that this is the 4th time I re-downloaded Wonderlands.

You bought the series x new right? Contact walmart first, and if they can't exchange it or refund you, contact microsoft and put that warranty to good use.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry that you've had such bad experiences so far this generation, OP. Yeah, since you're invested in Game Pass at this point, you definitely want to take advantage of it. Game Pass is great, especially if you love indie games like I do. So many great indie gems that I've discovered through Game Pass. But if you primarily care about 1st party titles in Game Pass, hopefully, Microsoft will get the ball rolling on those starting in 2023.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Random thoughts:

If you are wondering about Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, don't. It's great and way better than what you would expect given the premise and not being a mainline title. Wasteland 3 looks beautiful on the Series X. I paid for those two and a battery pack before doing Game Pass.

I was pretty excited and shocked about the Shadowrun games being on Game Pass along with Scarlett Nexus. I can tell I'll enjoy Psychnauts 2 once I get into it. Halo Infinite looks promising. I really can't wait to get back to this stuff that I got to sample. I filled 70% of my hard drive with Game Pass titles. I just wished they had more JRPGS.

I'm going to repurchase Sonic games to see how they play on this system. Most of my catalog of digital games exists on Playstation but I absolutely got to see certain ones on Series X.

And that controller is an all time great. I'll have both systems once again, soon enough. I'm determined!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Random thoughts:

If you are wondering about Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, don't. It's great and way better than what you would expect given the premise and not being a mainline title. Wasteland 3 looks beautiful on the Series X. I paid for those two and a battery pack before doing Game Pass.

I was pretty excited and shocked about the Shadowrun games being on Game Pass along with Scarlett Nexus. I can tell I'll enjoy Psychnauts 2 once I get into it. Halo Infinite looks promising. I really can't wait to get back to this stuff that I got to sample. I filled 70% of my hard drive with Game Pass titles. I just wished they had more JRPGS.

I'm going to repurchase Sonic games to see how they play on this system. Most of my catalog of digital games exists on Playstation but I absolutely got to see certain ones on Series X.

And that controller is an all time great. I'll have both systems once again, soon enough. I'm determined!
If you can, since you have Game Pass Ultimate you can jump in to www.xbox.com/play or the Xbox app on PC and start streaming games in the meantime while your console is away. All your saves will be there and you just pick up where you left off.

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
Good luck, OP. Had the same thing happen with a PS5. Dead on arrival, took ages to come back. When I finally got to play it, the controller immediately had drift issues. It was a hassle. Hopefully it all gets sorted out, and I agree with others - check to see if you can get an extension on that Game Pass sub.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I just shipped it out. I'm hoping to get a new one and not get stuck with a refurbished console. I took a clip and posted it on Reddit. It's bad at the end but that isn't even the worst I've seen. Psychonauts 2 was much worse.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck, OP. Had the same thing happen with a PS5. Dead on arrival, took ages to come back. When I finally got to play it, the controller immediately had drift issues. It was a hassle. Hopefully it all gets sorted out, and I agree with others - check to see if you can get an extension on that Game Pass sub.

I just contact Xbox support I suppose?

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
My console came back from Microsoft and not a damn thing was fixed. I got ahold of support and they ran me through the same troubleshooting process again. They told me that I was going to start the process of getting a replacement console. My account has an error where it appears like I have two Xbox Series X consoles with identical identification numbers. It also wouldn't allow me to start the replacement process and he had to fix it on his end to get things started.

And you want to know the kicker?

I was under the impression that I was getting a replacement but I was misled. I have to send my console back to Microsoft and they have to inspect it again before deciding if I get a replacement. For twenty minutes, I'm thinking I'm getting a new one. He also told me at the beginning I could return my console to my retailer for a replacement console there which isn't true. The sticker on the back has the same serial number but it is a different sticker. I'm afraid I'll run into a issue returning it to Walmart. However, I'm also worried that Microsoft will screw me. If they say nothing is wrong with the console and send it back to me again, I'm probably outside of my return window with Walmart. I don't want to be out $500 bucks.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I've luckily never had a faulty system ever. NES, Genesis, N64, GameCube, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Switch, PS5, Series X.

The only thing is the rubber was rubbing off my launch DualShock and Sony swapped it out no question. Just lucky I guess.