• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
good decision to let it go, OP

another couple will be happy that you did. your wife is the only proof you need of your memories. her, and the rings lol

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, if you did do this, be prepared for your partner (who isn't as sentimental) not really getting the big deal. Trust me, waiting years for your partner to just feel differently (IE feel the same as you) on something isn't a good plan. She doesn't feel that way about the dress, and probably wouldn't over time either. If anything, my wife and I think less about our wedding day every year. Life's good and better every year; no need to be tied down by stuff we'd never look at again.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
What a bizarre thread this is. Not because of the OP's post, but how some people are attacking the guy over his thoughts. I swear sometimes I wonder if Era is filled with monks devoid of any self interests and just get by with bare minimum while donating everything else away or some shit.

OP isn't threatening his wife or some shit. He has sentimental value and he loves his wife. Just like I'm sure he will take his wife's happiness and feelings into consideration in such other relevant decisions he makes, it's normal, fair and healthy that she takes his feelings and happiness into consideration as well.

Hell, if you want to make a compromise, find other ways to donate to charities and such. This is not the only way to make the world a better place and there's absolutely nothing wrong with focusing on your own happiness as well. My two cents.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
My wife's dress is still under the bed but if she told me she wanted to give it away I wouldn't really mind. I'm sure she'll keep it if you really want her to.

Honestly, I've noticed that I don't really attach emotions or memories to objects(including pictures) but I understand how powerful it can be to some people.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I have an idea that might help you and your wife see eye to eye on this. Buy a chest. Spend on it, make it a really nice once, and negotiate on the size. This is now your Memory Chest. The things you want to remember go into this chest. Things from your wedding, your vacations, baby books and booties should you have children, etc. All your sentimental keepsakes go into the Memory Chest.

There's several big benefits to this. The first is that you know where all your keepsakes are and they are stored safely and protected from spoilage. This is a huge benefit to you, you know that nothing is going to get lost or broken or accidentally given away.

To your wife's benefit, there is a limit. You can't keep everything, because your keepsakes go in the chest and anything that doesn't fit is up for negotiation. If you want to put the dress in there, you can, but that means that other large items won't be able to go in. And that's ok! That is still a space for remembrances and what is important is what you two want to remember.

This also becomes a keepsake down the generations. My great-grandmother had a chest like this. I and my cousins had an amazing couple of afternoons slowly exploring the things that she kept in that chest and discussing what they must have meant.

It's OK to keep sentimental things, it is just also important to not let every thing become sentimental and hold on to everything. I think this is a good method of setting a sane limit that lets both your and your wife have a say.

I don't know if this is a system I'll adopt, it will be suggested. I love it, and your post is logical, sentimental, and, well... Much love to you for this post.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
She'll wear the ghost of the wedding dress. Duh.
So what you're saying is I have to wait until the wedding dress is at its next wedding and MURDER THE WEDDING DRESS WITH A KNIFE to help it be a ghost. I can't see a problem with this.

(before anyone gets sh

It's our understaning that charity shops in the UK will usually dry clean them for you because it encourages donations and they still turn a profit.

For the record, the dress was probably ÂŁ400 if i recall correctly. Really not expensive compared to what some spend, but then, my hesitance to see it go would not be about value but sentiment.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
What a bizarre thread this is. Not because of the OP's post, but how some people are attacking the guy over his thoughts. I swear sometimes I wonder if Era is filled with monks devoid of any self interests and just get by with bare minimum while donating everything else away or some shit.

Let's be real, this is a video game forum where people consume video games products on a daily basis, on top of the many off topic threads about collecting stuff like, toys, models and comic books, so how many threads do you come across that gives you a feel like that members of Era or monks who shun attachment to physical objects?

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real, this is a video game forum where people consume video games products on a daily basis, on top of the many off topic threads about collecting stuff like, toys, models and comic books, so how many threads do you come across that gives you a feel like that members of Era or monks who shun attachment to physical objects?

I was being sarcastic. As you say, you would think people here would have some self awareness before calling people selfish and such for wanting to hold on to a physical object. But as this thread, and others like it indicate, that is not the case.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was really sweet of the OP to be so attached to his wife's wedding dress. The vitriol in this thread is weird though.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I had never thought about this and actually this seems like a very cool way to deal with a wedding dress.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I wouldn't care either way. Whatever my wife wants to do.

When we were planning on marriage last year, my wife's mom took her dress out. Hadn't taken it out in decades and it was all yellow. Seems kind of dumb to just keep it wrapped up in the attic to me.
Improper storage techniques. It needed acid-free surroundings.
Whatever you do just wash the damned thing
do NOT just wash it. Have it cleansed properly by an expert. These things aren't wash and wear clothes.

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Yeah that is kinda weird, sorta like wearing a wedding band as a symbol of love and devotion for each other /s

The band is a gift/symbol. Given to her by her husband. The dress...is usually bought by the bride. She wears the band daily (I'd imagine). How often she wearing that dress? And by the way, I'm actually curious - does the dress have meaning in a wedding ceremony?

Anyways, my vote goes in the donate column. You still got the tux/suit you wore at the wedding?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
While keeping the dress as a memento might be nice, you may have enough mementos of your wedding and your life together even if you didn't have the dress. You probably have photos of the wedding and plenty of other things to remember the wedding by.

I don't know if it's a thing to keep your wedding dress. Some couples rent their dresses anyway, so that's not even an option for them. And realistically, your wife is most likely never wearing the dress again.

If the dress is taking up space and your wife wants to give it away, I think that's fair to give it to charity and let someone else use it. That puts it to better use than leaving it in a box for a few decades.

But if the dress means a lot to you, then talk to your wife about it.

Anyways, my vote goes in the donate column. You still got the tux/suit you wore at the wedding?
I like the idea of donating the dress too.

I still have the suit I got married in. It's a very normal looking suit, and I wear it to job interviews lol.

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
My wife and I donated our wedding dresses a few months after the wedding. We don't need them anymore, and we still have all of the pictures and video. Now some other people get to have gorgeous dresses for their wedding, so it's a win/win.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Well, I'm not totally on board with this take. It's also an iconic symbol of our wedding, and to me, in a way it's a souvenir of our marriage.
it's a material thing that you no longer have use for. it's only function you said yourself, was as a memory. A photo of her in the dress would serve that same function.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Get it professionally cleaned and donate it. It might end up in the hands of someone who could really use one without having to pay the "wedding tax".

My wife found hers at a thrift store for $100. Dry cleaning it cost about the same. It's small things like this that allowed us to save money on our wedding to put towards other things, rather than something that would be worn once and never again.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Why not just rebuy it from wherever she donates it to. If she keeps doing it keep rebuying it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i will scour the earth for every donated wedding dress. i will wear them all. i will take photos. i will post them here. i will make OP unable to unsee my ass in that dress.

just donate it, jesus.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
My family isn't well off. My sisters dress was secondhand.

It really lifted pressure, so I absolutely recommend donating it and making someone else's day special.