• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
We play Zelda games as a team. And have played and beat everything Zelda available on Switch (our only console). Her ranking:

1) Breath of the Wild
2) Skyward Sword
3) Link's Awakening
4) Link to the Past

We just recently completed Skyward Sword and I'm looking for another game for us to play through along these lines. We also beat Skyrim a few months ago. In general I think she likes the 3d action rpg the most out of any game genre. She likes finding hidden loot, crafting things and exploration.

Some thoughts on what I'm considering:

Dark Souls - this would be I don't even know how many playthrough's of this for me. I know this game like the back of my hand but she's never seen it. Seems like a good step up from Zelda but the difficulty might be a hurdle. I remember what a rough time I had when I first played this.

Witcher 3 - she really enjoyed the Netflix show and I told her a bit about my play of Witcher 2. I never got around to part 3 so this would be fresh for both of us. I hear that playing on Switch (especially docked) is less than ideal though.

Any other games along these lines on Switch? Thanks in advance for your help!

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
It's Ubisoft, but I've enjoyed what I've played of Immortals: Fenyx Rising. It's very Breath of the Wild-esque.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We play Zelda games as a team. And have played and beat everything Zelda available on Switch (our only console). Her ranking:

1) Breath of the Wild
2) Skyward Sword
3) Link's Awakening
4) Link to the Past

We just recently completed Skyward Sword and I'm looking for another game for us to play through along these lines. We also beat Skyrim a few months ago. In general I think she likes the 3d action rpg the most out of any game genre. She likes finding hidden loot, crafting things and exploration.

Dark Souls - this would be I don't even know how many playthrough's of this for me. I know this game like the back of my hand but she's never seen it. Seems like a good step up from Zelda but the difficulty might be a hurdle. I remember what a rough time I had when I first played this.

Witcher 3 - she really enjoyed the Netflix show and I told her a bit about my play of Witcher 2. I never got around to part 3 so this would be fresh for both of us. I hear that playing on Switch (especially docked) is less than ideal though.

I really like playing it docked, especially after the update where you could change some settings.
So if she like the series and you still haven't played it, totally get it on switch!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okami is on Switch, right? Okami is probably the best Zelda-like ever, so that would be my first stop.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
CrossCode if you don't mind 2D but it has plenty of hidden things to find and a lot of puzzles.

OP
OP
FloatOn

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
CrossCode if you don't mind 2D but it has plenty of hidden things to find and a lot of puzzles.

She actually liked Link to the Past more than the Link's Awakening remake but is put off by pixel graphics for some reason.

I really like playing it docked, especially after the update where you could change some settings.
So if she like the series and you still haven't played it, totally get it on switch!

Good to know that it's updated and has better performance! Thanks!

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I'd highly recommend Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. It leans more into the RPG side of an Action-RPG but it contains a lot of what you're looking for: vast exploration, crafting, hidden loot, as well as fun gameplay and a great set of characters, story and world to boot.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's Ubisoft, but I've enjoyed what I've played of Immortals: Fenyx Rising. It's very Breath of the Wild-esque.

Yeah try this. You can probably get it really cheap now. It's not fully BOTW but it definitely wears its inspiration on its sleeve.

Full of fun physics-y environment puzzles and has all the shrine-type mini puzzles. Good.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also for Immortals you can try out the demo!
Just in case you and your wife want to try it out first.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Fenyx Rising and Chicory would fit right in with those. Maybe Darksiders, Xenoblade and like you mentioned Witcher 3.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Darksiders 1 at the very least. Everything about that game honestly feels so much like a classic 3d Zelda game mixed with classic action games. It was a blast going through that game and solving all the different puzzles and beating all the very Zelda style bosses honestly.

Darksiders 2 is fun but it's much more DMC mixed with Diablo and goes much more into the action, but it still has a lot of really fun dungeons with great puzzles and a lot of world to explore as well. It's less Zelda but still a blast honestly.

Also I'm definitely gonna echo the calls for Okami as well, that's the best Zelda game ever

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Darksiders, easily. Also look into Death's Door. That just released in August and is Zelda-like. Finished over a weekend and it was phenomenal imo.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
If she wants more of the 2D Zelda formula, the indie title Blossom Tales is pretty decent for its size. (Only issue I had is that the difficulty near the end spikes a bit, but you also get an item that makes the game baby mode so I suppose it evens out?)

Crafting-wise, if she doesn't have an aversion to JRPGs (and their innate tropes), the Atelier series might work as crafting/alchemy is a big part of them. (And the entire modern series is on Switch now.)

Oct 25, 2017
México
She actually liked Link to the Past more than the Link's Awakening remake but is put off by pixel graphics for some reason.

Good to know that it's updated and has better performance! Thanks!
Small suggestion. On the SNES Switch Online app, do the following two things:

• Hide the on-screen controls text
  • Turn on the CRT filter

Much better experience.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
If you think she might like hack 'n slash, by my understanding the Switch port of Torchlight 2 is decent and it's a great game with pretty neat environments to explore.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

1) Breath of the Wild
2) Skyward Sword
3) Link's Awakening
4) Link to the Past

As a massive Zelda fan, I found that Dragon Quest XI: S was an incredible experience and ticked all the boxes that made Zelda great for me. I would suggest checking that one out. It's turned based combat but man that game is wonderful in every aspect and at least for me personally it hit all the high notes that Zelda games often do. Just my opinion of course.

youtu.be

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition - Nintendo Direct 2.13.2019

Ready for a grand adventure filled with memorable characters, an enchanting story and classic RPG gameplay that can be taken on the go? This enhanced version...

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017

1) Breath of the Wild
2) Skyward Sword
3) Link's Awakening
4) Link to the Past

I'm the idiot who has bought The Witcher 3 on every console, including the Switch. It's not the best looking version (by far), but absolutely serviceable and the cut scenes look better than I feel they should on the Switch.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame Zelda: Four Swords Adventures isn't readily available on modern platforms. It sounds like the perfect team-up game for you guys.

Isn't Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on Switch?

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I'm voting Okami too. It's as close to Zelda as you can get.
Also, the Witcher is not scratching the Zelda itch, I can tell you that.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
If she wants more of the 2D Zelda formula, the indie title Blossom Tales is pretty decent for its size. (Only issue I had is that the difficulty near the end spikes a bit, but you also get an item that makes the game baby mode so I suppose it evens out?)

I'll second Blossom Tales. Its about as close to a Zelda game as you can get, besides the real thing.

ivalice

Banned
Sep 3, 2021
Okami is probably your best bet on the Switch.

Maybe the Trials of Mana remake, too? It's not as close to Zelda as Okami, but not much is.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This is a good pick. Immortal is a great game, and if you like Breath of the Wild, is definitely worth playing. Also, depending on your SO's sense of humor, they might dig the dialogue in the game quite a bit.

DrunkDadbr

Banned
May 19, 2021
The first Alundra, if what she apreciates about them is world exploration and puzzle solving entirely by herself. Basically, Zelda for grownups (at the time).

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Could try the Monster Hunter Rise demo. It doesn't showcase the collecting, crafting, and equipment side of things in the demo, but she can get a taste of the combat and exploration. The full game is filled with things to pick up and discover.