• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
When you find an OBGYN, find an office that has multiple doctors. During my wife's 2nd pregnancy, her doctor had his license suspended and had to drop all his patients and it was a pain in the ass 30 weeks into her pregnancy to find another office that would take her.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Parenthood is incredible! Congratulations!

Babies love sound machines (white noise). And it helps the parents sleep too!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Best friend of mine had child super early, her and her husband tried for the next 15 years to have kids to no avail. They then had 2 in 3.5 years and their daughter was a senior in HS. Sometimes it's just a change in the body chemicals/chemistry and then it's on like donkey Kong.

Looking forward to you in the ParentERA group!

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never got the feeling from the OP that they're excited for this, just outright stunned since this wasn't planned, expected, possible or intended. So with that being said, please have an honest conversation with your partner if you want to be parents. "We got pregnant suddenly" is a terrible reason to bring a kid into this world, especially the United States.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Congrats, and thankfully it's a good time to look for a job. As a soon to be Dad with the both of you currently unemployed finding a job with insurance coverage should be your top priority.

OP
OP
j7vikes

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I never got the feeling from the OP that they're excited for this, just outright stunned since this wasn't planned, expected, possible or intended. So with that being said, please have an honest conversation with your partner if you want to be parents. "We got pregnant suddenly" is a terrible reason to bring a kid into this world, especially the United States.

We have moved from the stunned to the excited phase. We did try to have a baby long ago and figured we would adopt one day so parenthood is something we have wanted to do at some point.

But when you're like 99.9% sure something isn't going to happen and it does it just took us both by so much surprise. We're good. Not planned, expected, possible, whatever but we're good to go!

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I wouldn't necessarily disagree but I will never regret being a part of walking out when you find out your boss is disgusting and homophobic.

Of course we also have friends as I mentioned that have jobs always needing help we can do on the side and we have a decent amount of savings and such. I'm not worried about finding something new at all and neither is she. And doing what was right will always be more important than anything else. We are fortunate we have great support systems as well.

You're good people. This is a story you will tell your kid someday and they will be proud, and know they will be safe and loved no matter who they love. It's an excellent foundation on which to bring a new life into the world. I'm sure you'll both land on your feet.

Oct 25, 2017
Fertility problems and then sudden pregnancy, my mind went to the worst place, hopefully thats not what happened.

OP
OP
j7vikes

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
Congrats, and thankfully it's a good time to look for a job. As a soon to be Dad with the both of you currently unemployed finding a job with insurance coverage should be your top priority.

We maintain insurance coverage but yes will be looking a little quicker than my intended "I'll just help my friend out with his projects and take a little break." We're in a good spot and very lucky with our education, family and friend support.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
We maintain insurance coverage but yes will be looking a little quicker than my intended "I'll just help my friend out with his projects and take a little break." We're in a good spot and very lucky with our education, family and friend support.

Glad to hear that, always awesome when people that want kids and didn't think it would happen catch a break.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
congrats OP
and what is going on with some of the comments in this thread please just be normal

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! My partner is currently 19 weeks pregnant with our first. It's amazing how pregnancy seems so long but at the same time the milestones come and go so fast. Try to enjoy the process as much as you can.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Congratulations to you and to your wife!

Enjoy the process and be there for her mate

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations dude.

Time to visit your family doctor, and start the whole process.

Really enjoy this time together as much as possible. Once the little one comes both of you will be super busy.

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
Get an OBGYN doctor for higher risk pregnancies if you can. Keep in mind there's a substantial risk of miscarriage until week 12 or so.

There's a bunch of dos and don'ts when pregnant, best to get that info from a doctor. Stuff you wouldn't think, like deli meat is a risk of listeria.

Congrats

Soft cheese and sushi too.

OP it's good that you have a sister who's an OB - definitely get mileage out of that relationship - you're going to have so many questions leading up to the birth.

If she's not already, have your wife start taking folate (Vit. B9). Also have your OB check any medications for risk of neural tube defects (some anti depressants, and anti-seizure meds) or for any meds with bad interactions.

Congratulations!

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I figured this would be a normal laid back Saturday and instead my wife and I found out she is likely pregnant. We have been married for 8 years and together for 11. Both of us completely thought this would never happen as about 7 years ago we tried to get pregnant and haven't used protection in over 7 years. My side of the family has a history of fertility problems so we didn't think anything of it. She hasn't hade a late cycle or anything ever. She had been feeling a bit crummy lately and we both realized we couldn't remember the date of her last cycle. So we got a pregnancy test today that dropped both our jaws at it was positive and immediately got a different brand which said the same thing.

We could not be more shocked. The timing isn't perfect (when is it I suppose) as both of us quit our jobs two weeks ago (we worked at the same place) as our boss had made comments about an employee because she was gay.

I don't even know what to discuss which is stupid since I'm starting the thread and I don't often make threads. But I guess advice? Thoughts? Talk about the weather?
CONGRATS I am so happy for you.

My son was born in January and the pregnancy + birth + last few months have been absolutely amazing. Lilith is an incredible mother and she powered through the pregnancy <3. It was draining and hard at times, but just…incredible. I am currently on maternity leave and he is so amazing, every day you can see how he becomes more aware of the world.

Oh and advice? Make sure to know what your wife can or can not eat. Find out what would be healthy for her and well… get cooking. In the first three months the consumption of spicy Indian food went through the roof lol.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats.

Make sure to be there for each other (patience and support goes a long way) and realize that it's a marathon, not a sprint. One of my favorite activities at bedtime is to read books to your unborn baby. It's a nice bonding moment. If you are more musically inclined feel free to play music to the baby.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
congrats and don't stress TOO much. Remember you've got 9 months to get everything in order.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
My aunt and uncle also gave up on thinking they'd ever have kids. Now they have three.
It's a mystery.

Just be prepared as much as you can, be of as much support to your wife as possible and don't miss out on your kid too much. A lot of dads miss out on so much.

Best of luck!!!!

EdenOfTheEast

Banned
Jul 1, 2020
Congrats..

Something you should know is you will never have a night of continuous sleep again for years .. so enjoy your sleep now 🙂

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats!!

There's never a perfect time, but they're always perfect.

Check out the parent era thread in OT. Lots of new and soon to be parents complaining about their kids not eating, not sleeping, not pooping, eating too much, sleeping too much, pooping too much.

One of my best friends was in a similar boat... Tried to have kids and couldn't for 3-4 years then randomly 2 years ago they're like... Wait wtf.... She's pregnant! And now they've got this chunky monkey who is a doll

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Congrats on the sudden gift, Op. My wife and I tried for a decade and couldn't get one so I'm happy for you both.

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations OP! Being a parent is awesome and scary, your kid will make you a better person.

And fuck your boss, I'm glad he got in trouble

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Congrats!

And as a first time father of a 6-month old (so most things are still fresh to me), 9 months till you have the baby is plenty of time to plan, and it's also not enough time to plan. But, no one is ever fully ready. Just do your best, read the books/info available.

Two books that were great source of solid info for me (a husband and soon-to-be father) to be more ready was THIS (lots of detailed info) and THIS (a bit more light-hearted, but still great info).

OP
OP
j7vikes

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
Can you get your jobs back?

No way. Would never work for that fucker again no matter how good the money could be. I can't go home every night and ignore working for a bigot.

As I've said though we've got tons of friends who have things we can do while we land something better and we both have masters degrees and decent savings so we are in a good spot. I mean obviously if we were planning we wouldn't pick this time but we weren't planning and thought it was impossible. Guess not!

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations to you and your wife! Truly life-altering happy events never come when you expect them but when they need to!

Nov 4, 2017
69742937.jpg

Congrats OP! My second child just turned 5 months today. Parenthood is the best.

I have the problem of being overwhelmingly fecund, and will get snipped now that I have 2, don't want a surprise like this down the track! There's a guy in town who does it called "Dick Beatty", definitely not going to him.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you put the peepee inside the vajayjay and you made the daddy milk come out inside? Not sure why you so stunned you made babby.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm very happy for you. This is fantastic! At least this is a great job market so I'm not worried about you finding a better job👍