• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your wife stays at home, this will be fine.

If she doesn't, get a cat, preferably two if they're kittens.

Oct 25, 2017
I say no op.

Not until the kids are old enough to take care of it. And at that age, they aren't. They won't go outside to walk it. You will.
Dog poops in your living room? You're cleaning it. Want to go out? You have to think about what to do with the dog.

Just think ahead op. Don't relent so easily. Getting a dog is not a joke. It comes with a lot of responsibility. If I was you, I'd wait till the kids hit 13 or 14.
But that's me.

NeoShinGreg

Oct 27, 2017
Most shelters will let you foster a dog for zero commitment and give you all the supplies to take care of them, especially during christmas when they probably want to clear out a shelter so no one has to go in. It could be a great test to see if your family is compatible with having a dog.

Don't get a puppy though, your family seems busy and puppies need a LOT of attention and looking after. A mellow adult dog would be trained and much less stress

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Puppies are great but a ton of work for the first year at least. You're liable to fuck it up and let a lot of bad habits and behaviors set in. It's a baby and requires a lot of attention, care and training. It's worth it, but if you're not able to fully commit to it you should look to rescue an adult dog that's largely been trained and socialized.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This. Cats are WAY less maintenance than a dog.

This varies. Cats can get bad behaviors and it's difficult to train it out of them, like ruining your furniture, being mischievous and curious to the point of breaking things, and climbing things they shouldn't. My cat requires way more attention than my dog and the litter box is a way more disgusting thing to clean than taking a dog out to crap.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
You will get it and fall in love. You just don't know it yet.
Even though I'm a dog lover, that's a very dangerous sentiment to propagate. What if he hates all of the responsibility? What if he doesn't like the dog? Dogs aren't toys. They are beings with personalities. Like kids. And just like some kids can be really hard to deal with, some dogs can be like that too. There's potty training, health management (with regular visits to the vet), walks and so on. And you need to burn their energy daily if you don't want them chewing through your furniture. Oh, and some dogs shed a lot, so that's another thing to deal with.
If you're going on a holiday, you'll need to find a dog sitter. Also, dogs feel very strong separation anxiety, so it's unwise to leave your dog alone for long hours.
With what OP has mentioned about the family's busy lifestyle, how do you think he'll manage a dog?

I wouldn't mind doing all of the above even with a busy lifestyle, because I LOVE dogs, but to assume the OP will feel the same way isn't good advice.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly travel is one of the biggest problems with having a dog, I would tell your wife that you'd be open to the idea but only if you could both brainstorm how you would navigate particular issues like that.

Otherwise you'll probably end up loving it and even though there can be annoying routines with taking it for walks and such, that can end up being somewhat nice if you normally have a crazy busy day that feels like it just goes from one thing to the next. It's almost like a mandatory break.

It's a tough situation though, there is a lot of responsibility involved and I think there needs to be an honest discussion as to whether or not that's a big enough problem to prevent you from getting one.

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My GF and I got an 8 week puppy back in Feb (first pet for both of us). Taking care of a puppy is a TON of work. They need to be exercised and played with often for mental stimulation, trained, and socialized with dogs / humans. That doesn't even really get into the cost of raising one. Vaccines, training classes, and emergency vet visits are expensive!

I will say though that I wouldn't trade our dog for the world. She means everything to us. Sounds like it would be hard with your schedule unless one of you is WFH everyday though

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I had this same battle and lost. My kids were around the same age when we got the dog, too. Unlike most people, I fucking loathe dogs. And just as I predicted, our dog gets no attention. Nobody picks up it's shit until I step in it cutting the grass, nobody takes it for walks, nobody properly trained it. Call me a horrible person, but we're actually getting rid of it because nobody gives a shit about it. I'd be okay with it if my wife and kids actually cared for it but they don't. It was a flavor of the week that wore off a long time ago. I actually feel bad for the damn thing even though I cant stand it.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
House sit friend's dogs a few times and see how your wife feels then.

A dog is a lot of work, especially if you get one as a puppy. It's also very expensive.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Those dad never wanted a dog memes exist for a reason, because they're 100% accurate. Let that puppy choose you as the pack leader and it'll be a wrap after that. You might love the pup more than your family eventually lol.
I feel the opposite. I would not make a major decision like buying a dog based on a meme. Those memes exist because when that does happen, it's a cute, funny and wholesome moment. Of course they never make memes about all the dogs who get sent to the shelter because that's sad.
its a joke...

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I wouldn't give in personally. Your family does seem really busy and having a pet on top of that sounds like a nightmare. It's great that you have your kids enrolled in so many activities and I personally would continue to focus on that instead! I feel pets need a lot of attention and care regardless. I don't see why cats are always the suggestion if you don't have a lot of time.. they still benefit from a lot of attention, love and care even though they're generally more independent.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I never really had a pet nor have I ever wanted one. However my wife and 2 kids (ages 6 and 8) have been begging me for a dog. I keep saying no because I already feel stretched (We both work fulltime and our kids are involved in karate, dance and music lesson) and when we do have free time I like to travel and do small and big trips.

My wife and kids will go on these "pretty please" begging sessions and I feel like crap always being the party pooper and shooting them down and telling them that we don't have the time, energy or money to properly take care of a dog right now. I tell them not now, but honestly, I don't really feel like I ever want a dog.

Should I just make their day and give in? My wife and I both work in schools and have a good 2 months off in the summer. Should I wait until this summer and just bite the bullet and make a new canine addition to the family?

Has anyone here not wanted a dog and then got one for the family? What has your experience been like?

You don't have time for a dog with your schedule. Your kids will promise to walk it etc, but you will end up doing all of it. Get a Fish.

Really it is unfair for the dog if it ends up being crated up all day and getting the occasional walk or two.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Pets are time, money, and work so I don't blame you for saying no especially since the kids aren't old enough to take many responsibilities.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
There's nothing better than having your kids grow up with furry friends. It's also a really good time to teach them responsibility as well and it's not just all fun & games :) I say get one OP!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Some people think that if they have a big fenced yard, that the dog will just run and get exercise by himself.

99% of the time the dog will just lay down and nap.

The only way a family as busy as yours makes sense for a dog, is if he gets a friend. Boredom will become an issue

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
The kids AND wife are begging? what are you doing holmes? easy points right there

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If it were just the kids i would say wait but if your wife wants one why not?

I got my kids a puppy when they were around the same age and yeah i did most of the work but i fucking love that dog. They bring joy.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Don't adopt animals if you aren't committed to taking care of them. There are too many abandoned and mistreated animals out there already.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I had this same battle and lost. My kids were around the same age when we got the dog, too. Unlike most people, I fucking loathe dogs. And just as I predicted, our dog gets no attention. Nobody picks up it's shit until I step in it cutting the grass, nobody takes it for walks, nobody properly trained it. Call me a horrible person, but we're actually getting rid of it because nobody gives a shit about it. I'd be okay with it if my wife and kids actually cared for it but they don't. It was a flavor of the week that wore off a long time ago. I actually feel bad for the damn thing even though I cant stand it.

Quoting this for emphasis.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, you both work full time. Do not do this.

The amount of maintenance dogs require is high to begin with and a puppy is an exponentially higher level. Without one of the parents at home there's no one with it during the day 5 days a week when it needs to be walked.

Compromise with a pair of kittens.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I predict OP is going to follow up in 6 months that he made a mistake, and is now looking into rehoming the dog because no one has time for it.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Well, my wife and I aren't dog people but we gave in and got a dog for our daughter when she was 8. The dog lived 15 years and she went off to college at 18, so we had the dog for 5 years without the person we bought it for living in the house. Not to mention, she did lose interest in it once she turned 13/became a teen. You may love and become attached to it and I have numerous friends that are crazy for their dogs, but we aren't in that club.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Having a dog is a lot of work and requires a lot of attention and training. It's one thing to want one, it's another to properly take care of one. If you don't think you and your wife will have the time to properly dedicate to the dog, don't do it.

edit: I am a dog owner, so I know the amount of time and effort it has taken to get my dog to be well trained and to give them the best life possible.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I wouldn't do it. Dogs require a shit-ton of attention and maintenance--and it sounds like you can't deliver at this time. Plus it's traumatizing for an animal, once it's adapted, to get sent right back to the shelter.

Ignore everyone suggesting cats. I've come to love the little bastards, but you won't get the same satisfaction as you would with a dog.

Play Life is Strange 2 and see how it turned out

You monster.