• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to know where you traveled that you got into fights 2 out of your 6 visits.

Our handling of refugees is shameful and yeah, there's a lot of casual racism for a country that claims to be so multicultural.

There will be some shit cunts who'll make racist remarks but there's not the kind of ingrained systematic racism that will have you fearing for your life if you interact with the cops or get sub par medical treatment etc...

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I've lived here my entire life as a quote unquote minority and I don't think it's especially more racist than other countries. Probably on the Canada/NZ level of casual racism (well maybe more than NZ which I hear mostly good things about).

At the same time, I can't say your observations are wrong, op

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I want to know where you traveled that you got into fights 2 out of your 6 visits.

Our handling of refugees is shameful and yeah, there's a lot of casual racism for a country that claims to be so multicultural.

There will be some shit cunts who'll make racist remarks but there's not the kind of ingrained systematic racism that will have you fearing for your life if you interact with the cops or get sub par medical treatment etc...
* Unless you happen to be Aboriginal

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
You can get great weather and interesting wildlife in New Zealand, with the added bonus of the locals not being Aussies.

This is my expert opinion based on living in Western Europe but knowing a few guys who moved down under for work and also knowing some Aussies who came here for some unfathomable reason

jromz03

Oct 28, 2017
I'm Asian and moved here 2004, stay in Sydney metro and have moved around visiting places.

Have never experienced racism as bad, maybe got lucky. Asked around in the office, and they have never experienced one as well.

Maybe I just got lucky? I mean, my home country has this belief that Australia is racist. Yet, none of them have step foot here (I was the first).

We have very little 'no-go zones' here.

Also install a bidet, we are currently experiencing a self-inflicted toiler paper apocalypse at the moment.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You can get great weather and interesting wildlife in New Zealand, with the added bonus of the locals not being Aussies.

This is my expert opinion based on living in Western Europe but knowing a few guys who moved down under for work and also knowing some Aussies who came here for some unfathomable reason

Our wildlife is pretty lame tbh lol. I guess if you're bothered by dangerous insects and reptiles we don't have any of those.

Id love to say NZ is this accepting utopia but its really not, at least from my experience growing up here.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Just in terms of Australia's multicultural mix, for anyone who is visiting:

Australia does have a really different racial mix to America and the UK, and I think that's something to consider when talking about racism. I think some races in Australia are far more likely to experience racism than others.

- In America the second highest racial demographic is Latinos and the third Highest is African Americans. The second highest language spoken is Spanish. In the UK the biggest non-British demographics are Indians, Pakistanis, Eastern Europeans and people from Africa and the Caribbean. So obviously those demographics are a major focus of political and social discussions - and those countries have become really good at identifying racism directed towards those communities.

In Australia we get people from just about everywhere, especially in Sydney and Melbourne, but by far the biggest non-white migration is from East Asia and South Asia. If you come to Sydney you won't see many African-American or Latino faces, but you will see a huge number of people from China, Vietnam, India, South Korea, Japan, Thailand etc. If you go to Melbourne there is a huge Indian community there too.

The most highly spoken languages in Australia (other than English) are in order -

1. Mandarin, 2. Arabic, 3. Cantonese, 4. Vietnamese 5. Italian 6. Greek, 7. Tagalog, 8. Hindi, 9. Spanish, 10. Punjabi

So in general, I think in the big cities, people from Asia generally are better treated simply because there has been more exposure to that culture (although that said, our media is generally a garbage fire and Coronvirus has certainly been exposing pockets of prejudice lately). Amongst the middle classes there is a lot of mixing of friendship groups and a lot of inter-racial marriages and friendships - my partner was born here but speaks Cantonese.

However if you've come from somewhere else, like the Middle east or Africa, and you go outside Sydney or Melbourne, I think there's much more likely to be prejudice or insensitive casual racism.

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, its depends where you wants live OP. I know Queensland have more redneck and therefore are more racist compared to the others states. But if you live in city like Sydney or Melbourne especially in the metropolitan area then racism is a non issue.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
I've been several times and as a half Puerto rican half black man with a full Puerto rican wife who has been with me most of those times I can gladly say I've never experienced any racism.

The worst place I've ever experienced racism was the one time I was in Portugal.

That's surprising to me. My wife and I are Americans. I'm a black male, and she is half Peruvian/half Polish and we never had any issues in Portugal at all. Everyone was really welcoming/nice.

aLaxLuthor

Oct 29, 2017
As a white Australia I can only speak for myself but I will say.

Please move here. Our country is made better by having more people, from a wider cultural mix. But you are more than a cultural background. Our country is made stronger by having more people in it, because that means more people thinking about how to fix the issues we face, more voices calling for us all to be better, more hands to help out with problems, and to reach out when they have problems, more shoulders to cry on and ears to listen to.
I hope you find this out if you decide to move here.

You may experience racism here, from people or systems in place. I accept the argument that Australia has a serious and deep rooted problem with racism.
For that I apologise as much as I can. There are ignorant people and we have a shitty history of abuse and exclusion.

But , again, speaking for myself.
You are wanted, you are welcome. I would hope you can build a happy life here.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I am Aboriginal. On the one hand Australia is very casually racist at least in my experience, but on the other hand most times someone will back you up if you call someone out for their racism.

Cities are mostly good. Towns are hit and miss. QLD is kinda fucked.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Anecdotal but Australia is also the first country I've encountered racism as an ethnic Chinese Singaporean.

I was there as a tourist way back and was just minding my business walking along the street when I passed by an open-bar. Then a bunch of (probably drunk) white dudes just shout 'CHINK!' at me for no reason.

I didn't stop and argue with them and just walked away. I'm a lone foreigner in a foreign place. The last thing I want to get myself involved in is a fight with a group of drunk white rednecks.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Forget racism, Australia is on the fast track to being unhabitable within the next couple decades due to climate change. Would not recommend unless you enjoy wildfires and water shortages.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Yes Australians can be very racist. I noticed a difference of treatment at restaurants when I'm with my white wife and when I'm by myself (non white). Even when with my wife, some waiters wouldn't even talk to me lol.

Oct 28, 2017
White Australia has by and large never had to really wrestle with the sins of the past, and given that there hasn't been an earth shattering event to make them do so like the American Civil War, Indian independence, the Civil Rights movement or the ending of apartheid, most people just go through life blissfully unaware that there was ever even a problem. Add into that the fact that even the most disrespected minority (Aborigines) is a tiny fraction of the population, lots of people get away with interacting with mostly white people all day everyday.

This is basically the long and the short of it. It's a bit of a cliche to bring it up these days, but Donald Horne's diagnosis during the mid-1960s was pretty close to the mark:

It's a country split between two identities. On the one hand, a British alcove on the edge of the world desperate to preserve its Anglo cultural legacy after the trauma of British abandonment - the 1880-90s immigration acts, the White Australia Policy, Hansonism, so on and so forth. On the other, a compulsion to carve out a singular national identity built around geography and ethnic diversity. The result is really rather puzzling - a country which thinks of its interests primarily in terms of the Asia-Pacific region but simultaneously wants to keep its neighbours at arms length. Attitudes within the populace tend to preserve this duality, whether they realise it or not.

On a practical level, there are places to lie in Australia which are obviously more progressive and less prone to casual racism - namely Melbourne and Sydney.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on where you move OP.

Sydney's multicultural so no issues what race you are for the majority of people here. Problem arises in certain suburban pockets and/or individuals, but that's everywhere.

You need to consider things like healthcare, job prospects, etc.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not any worse than the UK that's for sure.

Also yeah depends where you go. Melbourne and Sydney are super multicultural.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I can only come at this from a black point of view. Anywhere there are white people, you're at risk to experiencing some form of racism. Doesn't mean you will, but you will always be at risk. I've said this 1000 times on this site, there are no safe spaces for black folks in the world. We fit in where we can, and survive on the daily as we always have...

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
I'm English but live in Australia, I'm also white so obviously don't see or experience much of what ethnic minorities might. That said, the fact I'm white does mean that people are more open to make racist comments around me thinking I'm 'one of the lads' or some shit, it's sickening how many times I've pointed out that "I'm an immigrant too". Most people are not racist and when they are it's generally a reaction to Murdoch media finding the next crusade to detract from the governments shortcomings. If the newspapers tell everyone that they can't afford a house because the Chinese have pushed prices up then you will see that spill out into everyday interactions. I'm not making excuses but the media has a lot to answer for and some people will always look towards the easiest group to blame, as proven in the UK with Brexit.

It does depend where you live, Sydney has a very multicultural population. People of African origin aren't common by any stretch and those few I know haven't really experienced racism, the ones I know are from a UK background and don't see it as any worse as the UK. I live in a tiny village which is very liberal in it's views, or at least anyone with outdated idea's is told to get to fuck, to the point where the old racists generally just keep their mouths shut, which is nice. Local shop is run by an Indian and he's universally loved, he drove hours to get Milk and bread during the floods, got stocks of toilet paper for locals and during the fires gave out free essentials when people were cut off. I can see that he's earned the respect of the community when a white owner wouldn't have to bother, but he has changed a lot of peoples minds about the media narrative. But then most Africans and Indians drink beer and are happy at a sausage sizzle, I really do think that's part of it, some Aussies don't trust someone who won't sit down with them for a beer and a snag.

Out of it all I'd say the Aboriginals get the worst shit. Universal idea that they are lazy, drunk and useless, even amongst some individuals you'd never consider capable of believing such nonsense. It is getting better, more and more white people are tracing their history and finding an aboriginal family member in their story. Some have ignored it, but some have celebrated it and gone on to learn more about their history and origins.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I have relatives in Australia (Greek immigrants during the 50s-60s) and once in a while they come to visit. They werent poc but they have experienced racism too, also related to ethnic and religious background.

Though I was also saddened by the tales of family abuse they had to go through while they were kids by their parents, who were born in the 20s. Even leading to crippling and death in some cases.

Australia is also difficult to emigrate compared to before. You need to be hired by a company already from what I heard to get a permit

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Hehe, the small advantages of being ambiguously non-white. When I was working the door I could actually see their pea brains working over time to figure out what the hell I was so they could get the right racial slur out lol.
Wow! You're very exotic looking.
7m3nwp5zflg01.png

shinkie

Oct 26, 2017
I can only speak for Melbourne but there's pockets where you'd find racism more prevalent than others, especially suburbs that are predominantly white. The city itself is diverse.

As a person of South East Asian background, I have only experienced racism a handful of times in my life. However, there's still underlying discrimination in our media, workplaces etc though.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Whereever there is white people, there is racism, obviously Australlia is not the exception, I've seen and suffered racism myself here, but is not as bad as in the US or other countries in Europe. Just don't go to WA or Queensland. Cheers.

OP
OP
Wing Scarab

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I continually find it bizarre how these threads pop up detailing how racist Australia is... but when it comes to literally every other white English speaking country, there's nothing.

There's racism here. Both casual and institutional. Our indigenous populations are the poorest, most disadvantaged and incarcerated people in the country.

But this isn't even remotely unique to Australia.
No one is saying it's unique to Australia. But like JasonV pointed out, this thread is about Australia and my experiences in it. I have experienced racism in the US and the UK but believe it or not, its nothing to what I have experienced in Australia when I've visited there. I made this thread because my wife and I were considering moving there and I don't know any POC that have lived there.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
It's absolutely ingrained in the rural/regional areas and always will be.

In Melbourne racist behaviour is far more likely to make you a pariah than the norm.

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns of racism
I've been to Australia about 6 times in my life, each trip was for business reasons. It's a beautiful country and place someone like me who love animals would love to live in. But each time I went there, I was subjected to racist remarks by people there. I got into a fight on two occasion , almost got arrested once because someone decided to be brave and spew vile racist remarks at me. I haven't been there in the last five years mainly because there was no need for me to go there. My wife wants to leave the UK and had Australia as one of the places we should look into moving. I was up for it until I started remembering my experiences there and reading up other people experiences in the country.

Am I being to dramatic about it or is my assessment of the country correct? A friend of mine who lives in the country says he and his wife has suffered similar experiences. An example at how vile it can be in the country.

Talk about painting with a wide brush. Do you take the opinions of a few for all countries and base it on that? All countries have their dickheads.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've lived in the US, UK and Aus for a significant period of time in each (10+ years). Nothing in the UK or Aus holds a candle to the racism that I witnessed in the US. White people in the US are just better at hiding it from plain sight and frankly it's a lot more vile. Anyway that's just my experience.

I should note that I lived in Little Rock and North Central Florida so I get that these locals are traditionally 'The South'.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Racism is generally rooted in xenophobia. That's why it's generally less of an issue in big multicultural cities, and more of a problem in bumfuck nowhere - and I think that's true of most of the world.

I've lived in Sydney my whole life and it's a multicultural melting pot. My current work team is a Brit, a Chinese Malaysian, a Fijian Indian, an Indian, a South Korean, and two Australians. All of our large meetings begin with an Acknowledgement of Country. There's even a current push to change the date of Australia Day, since it celebrates the arrival of the First Fleet of British ships in 1788 and is offensive to many Australians (especially indigenous Australians).

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
In my experience, only Queensland is particularly racist. I mean no disrespect to any Queenslanders here.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, only Queensland is particularly racist. I mean no disrespect to any Queenslanders here.

what makes QLD worse? Even Brisbane?

I have a visa application in to go there, I'm not a POC but still interested to find out what makes it worse.

I currently live in a country that seems welcoming to foreign visitors, if you are a tourist but living here is different even as a white person you get the weird looks and staring as a minimum. Can't even imagine what it would be like to be non white and trying to make a real go of it and find work.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aborigines seem to get treated like shit. Puts me off Australia.

The NRL released their promo video last week which dared to show an indigenous player wearing the aboriginal flag and the reaction to that from some was disgraceful.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
what makes QLD worse? Even Brisbane?

I have a visa application in to go there, I'm not a POC but still interested to find out what makes it worse.

I currently live in a country that seems welcoming to foreign visitors, if you are a tourist but living here is different even as a white person you get the weird looks and staring as a minimum. Can't even imagine what it would be like to be non white and trying to make a real go of it and find work.
This is a bit overkill for your question but it's worth reading and it goes into some of the issues and history that leads to QLD's reputation.

marxistleftreview.org

Why Queensland is different

Rebecca Barrigos digs into the history of economic development, ruling class strategies and the labour movement of Queensland to explain why the state has its own distinct political traditions.
There's actually a lot of good reads that touch on racism on MLR if you're curious,
marxistleftreview.org

Who is to blame for racism in Australia?

Tess Lee Ack takes on the common assumption that racism among workers drives government policies and shows who actually promotes it.

As for the topic of racism in Australia, I'm a white anglo dude so my personal experience is basically nil but from talking to (non-white) friends who have moved or visited here the general consensus is that it's not necessarily "more racist" but it is "equally though differently racist". System wise the ones who cop it the worst are Indigenous Australians (by an order of magnitude) and from my experience with people being casually racist it's most definitely Indigenous Australians, people of Middle Eastern and South Asian descent as well as African immigrants that cop the most bullshit. Casual racism in Australia, especially towards those 4 aforementioned groups, is really prevalent to the point where I've seen multiple white Americans be shocked by it. East and South East Asians will generally be the best off as they're such a major demographic in Australia that there is little ignorance based racism to pull from but there is still quite a bit of left over WW2 era racism towards Japanese folk.

Sydney and Melbourne will be the best places to go as theres a lot less prejudice in general there due to the much more multi-cultural makeup which leads to less of the casual racism that you will find everywhere else but it's not exactly roses and sunshine either and there are still plenty of systemic issues that put you at a disadvantage even if everything else was peachy.

Edit: Oh yeah, lets not forget Nauru and Manus island or the fact that our current ruling political party may as well be called "Racist(s) Dog Whistles R Us". Though our opposition is only the marginally better flavour of Shit Light.

Last edited: