• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is nightmare before Christmas a Halloween or Christmas movie?

• Halloween

Votes: 68 12.4%
  • Christmas

Votes: 171 31.2%
  • Both

Votes: 309 56.4%

• Total voters

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
An argument can be made that it's both a Christmas and a Halloween movie, but I don't see how I'm "wrong".

I mean, look at the setting of the movie....

Discuss

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's a Halloween movie because it's the nightmare before Christmas. Christmas is not before Christmas. Halloween is.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare is appropriate from Halloween season through Christmas season. Your wife is wrong.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
As an official Halloween expert - having a birthday near Halloween - I determine Nightmare Before Christmas to be a Halloween movie. You're welcome for this thoroughly considered opinion.

Aug 13, 2019
It's really a Christmas movie. The Halloween portion only lasts a few minutes. The movie itself is about Christmas.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think your wife is right here. Nightmare Before Christmas is a Christmas movie with a horror bent to it. The main focus is Christmas not Halloween

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
It's a Halloween movie due to it being released October 19th.

Hocus Pocus however is a summer popcorn flick due to the release date of July 16

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I managed a video store in the 90s. We had TVs in store that played DVDs. We would start playing Nightmare starting October 1st - October 31st and then again from December 1st to December 25th.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I love both. They're both any time of the year films. I will not tolerate lies to the contrary!

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
90% of the movie takes place in a Halloween setting with Halloween characters.

But then again, the main message is about Christmas...

Shit.

rustyra24

Jul 6, 2018
They change the haunted mansion in Disney Land to a Nightmare Before Christmas theme for Halloween. So it counts.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
First I'll say Hocus Pocus is my wife's favorite Halloween movie as well.

You are in the right. We treat it as both a Halloween and Christmas.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a movie all about Halloween crossing with Christmas and thus is valid for either holiday and all the time inbetween

However, while it is valid for both, since all of its major characters belong to its primary setting of Halloween Town, I would say it leans harder in that direction.
It was even released in October directly preceding Halloween, so that tells you what kind of movie the studio believed it was.
Disney also converts their Haunted Mansion into the Nightmare theme at around the same time as their other Halloween decorations around the park.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare Before Christmas is a Thanksgiving movie. 30 days of it take place in November. It's literally about getting all the Halloween decorations down and putting up the Christmas ones

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's both.

And I won't for the lack of Halloween III being mentioned in this thread among best Halloween movies.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I consider it to be both a Halloween and a Christmas movie. I know I enjoy watching it during both times of the year.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
When they're in Halloween Town it's a short film about Halloween, and then when they leave, the movie takes a break so you can watch a Christmas movie about a psychotic Skeleton who re-enacts How the Grinch stole Christmas.

And then Tim Burton's name shows up in the credits, so it's a Halloween movie again.

It's a Halloween movie because it's the nightmare before Christmas. Christmas is not before Christmas. Halloween is.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The Nightmare Before Christmas has "Christmas" in the title not "Halloween". Checkmate

StylesTrip

Oct 27, 2017
Assert dominance by playing the movie and soundtrack every day until she becomes a believer. Nightmare Before Christmas is definitely a Halloween movie...that can be watched all the way through Christmas.