• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Because she thinks a 4 year olds t ball game is more important. Nobody would ever be considerate enough for her then.
It's just these sort of choices to not look past the surface and make an attempt to consider feelings, emotions and motivations is something people pick up and adds to the tension. People can tell when others don't consider them valid.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
It's just these sort of choices to not look past the surface and make an attempt to consider feelings, emotions and motivations is something people pick up and adds to the tension. People can tell when others don't consider them valid.
Im sure my mom feels the same way, to the point now where she doesnt want to do anything anymore because shes just an inconvenience to them.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same issue with my brother with 3 kids. And I let them know in our chat as I said in the OP

So again it all goes back to your brother and mom making this setup and telling your siblings with kids tough luck this is what we're doing on this date. It's becoming more clear why your sister is upset and it has nothing to do with t-ball games.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This has less to do with the actual birthday date and moreso with your sister being upset at having no INITIAL say

Which might boil down to her perceiving your mom as preferring your brother more than your sister.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Im sure my mom feels the same way, to the point now where she doesnt want to do anything anymore because shes just an inconvenience to them.
That's great. Now extend that to other members of your family, which you seem to want to continually demonstrate that you have no desire to do so.

Hint: If your answer is "stupid ass t-ball game" or something similar, you probably still have more thinking to do.

If you don't want to consider your sister, then OK. That's your choice. But make the choice and own it.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017

Can you not see the manipulative behavior in your own posts? This is astounding.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point if she is using the kids as an excuse to not hang out with this toxicity. Throw in an anti-vaxxer brother and I'd nope the fuck out of there to.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Can you not see the manipulative behavior in your own posts? This is astounding.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point if she is using the kids as an excuse to not hang out with this toxicity. Throw in an anti-vaxxer brother and I'd nope the fuck out of there to.
Nope, guess not. Oh well. If they dont think our family is important, then maybe she shouldnt anymore.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Man, i'm sure happy my family is pretty chill, we just meet when we can, and we don't care about certain specifc dates

As for OP's story, I feel everyone here has a part in this drama

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
hm

I can see getting upset if sis dragged mom in front of everybody

on the other hand

If this were about anti-vax nonsense I wouldn't personally be interested in juggling my schedule around

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I love my sister, her childs easily skippable sports game is not important.

In her mind, her kids are (understandably) the most important things in the world. Maybe doctor brother needs to be a bit more flexible himself if you expect your sister to drop her priorities for him. Let her pick the dates and activities, unless she's unwilling to do that.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, guess not. Oh well. If they dont think our family is important, then maybe she shouldnt anymore.

"Hey we planned this event without you"
"Uh, that doesn't really work for me, why wouldn't you ask first"
"Ok, how about instead you take the kids to a bar/driving range with us"
"Not really ideal either"
"Guess you don't love us."

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I love my sister, her childs easily skippable sports game is not important.
If how you speak of her on this forum is indicative of how you interact with in real life, then she probably doesn't think you do. You seem to have zero respect for her life, motivations and her emotions. She probably thinks the same.

Put forth a little effort to demonstrate it instead of demeaning her and her children's lives. Or don't, and own not considering your sister important.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
"Hey we planned this event without you"
"Uh, that doesn't really work for me, why wouldn't you ask first"
"Ok, how about instead you take the kids to a bar/driving range with us"
"Not really ideal either"
"Guess you don't love us."
if anything you just said you dont know what top golf is LMAO. Like how they have family parties and kids areas

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody's saying your mom can't pick how to celebrate her birthday. But if she picks an activity that isn't for kids (and from the website, Top Golf doesn't look like it's for kids at all), don't expect the parents of kids to attend. As a parent, the last thing I want to do is to try to entertain my kids & keep them quiet in a public place that actively doesn't want children there. Why can't she go do the fun stuff she wants for her birthday & then everyone gets together for dinner at a family friendly place? Or just have different branches of the family celebrate at different times if everybody's schedule is different.

now where she doesnt want to do anything anymore because shes just an inconvenience to them.

This kind of guilt trip & the outburst in the opening post is a big red flag. This is major emotional manipulator behavior.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Dont understand that at all then. We are trying to accommodate her showing that we want her to be there and it would make her more angry?
You doctor brother is obviously your mothers favorite child. Your sister is expect to drop everything for him because he is the one with the more successful life and career. She is just a mother with kids, that is not hard at all. Doctor brother even offered to pay the loser sister to get a baby sitter. What perfect child!

Does the sister have a job? A husband? Why is their time and input not important? They not only have to arrange their kids activities, but their own job time as well and babysitter. All for a gather they had no input on.

It about the constant disrespect your sister is getting from you, your brothers, and your mother.

Last edited:

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mom clearly lives on emotional abuse/manipulation and the OP has picked it up and has it in their own bag of tricks.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Top golf. And the idea that my mom shouldnt be allowed to pick whatever she wants to do for her birthday is laughable to me.

They already decided childrens sports games are more important than our mom, so if thats a guilt trip then fine. They 100% should feel guilty about it. I cant even understand the mental gymnastics for trying to say a 4 year olds t ball game is more important

Nobody said she shouldn't decide what to do for her birthday, but she should consider that not everybody may be able to make it. Just because it's your birthday doesn't make you boss of everyone who loves you, or give you license to get what you want at the expense of others. A nice time is nice for everybody, or it's a lie.

I've never been to Top Golf, but the website screams "for adults". The only mention of children on the whole website is that they need to be accompanied by an adult 21+. Everything else is photos of adults swinging clubs or adults at the bar. I could absolutely understand not wanting to take your kids to a bar, or a bar atmosphere.

M: It's my birthday, I want to go to place and have fun.
D: We will be understandably miserable at place, for these reasons.
M: I see, let's reconsider, I want everybody to enjoy themselves when we are together on my birthday, naturally.

Vs

M: It's my birthday, I want to go to place and have fun.
D: We will be understandably miserable at place, for these reasons.
M: Too bad, it's MY birthday, deal with it.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the replies everyone, I am requesting this to be closed. I need self reflection and to look into these deeper issues that have been brought up.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
OP -

Once you have a partner + kids they become "your family" and they come first. You are now your own distinct family unit. Everyone else - grandparents, nieces, uncles - they are extended family.

IDK your family situation and no one should be shouting of screaming at anyone else, obviously.

But important to keep that perspective when you consider your siblings that have kids vs. your siblings that don't.

This is a good post.

I feel like people are focused on tee ball and forgetting the babysitter thing.

I may be projecting my own family here, but (yelling at mom excepted) I think I see the sister's side, as the mother's "I can have my birthday how I want" triggered me.

My mother has put such emphasis and expectations on birthdays that, throughout mine and my sisters' childhood, she could never be satisfied with her own birthday and would openly complain and ruin it, despite all our best efforts. Also Mother's Day. And she tried to make Nurse's Day a thing. We'd learned to dread her special days, every year.

Her mother has similar, but different issues. They both feel they are owed so much for the trouble of raising us, and for blood relations. And they're not wrong, but they should be reasonable. They forget that they chose to have kids, and those kids then grew up and now have their own lives.

It's kind of funny/sad, because they both argue so much about this stuff but can't see how they are the same.

Anyway, my wife and I moved out of state, and we make a point to visit home once a year (Xmas some years, summer visit other years). We don't go more because it's far, it's expensive, and for some reason they don't come visit us. Yet it's not enough. They apparently want all of our vacation time (even though we are adults with our own interests) and spending money (flights) so we can go home and sit around in separate rooms and watch TV half the time, like the old days, because family.

If my wife and I, during our visit, take some time to do our own thing, hang out with friends we also don't get to see because we moved, and see my wife's family, they get pissed. They don't see how possessive and controlling they can be. But they learned, they can't push too hard, or we won't visit. Or we will, but we'll stay with friends instead of with them.

And it's funny, you know, you can choose your friends but not your family, love is love. Yet our friends aren't controlling or possessive of our time and attention. They are cool seeing us once a year, if not less. They don't play games or keep score and get upset and throw a fit if we don't call them enough--when they want to talk, they call us. We always pick up where we left off, no worries. Friends that have kids, on the other hand, well, we fully understand, in turn, that plans are difficult to make. All is well.

We don't even have kids, but we imagine if we did the shitstorm it would be when we inevitably say, hey parents, we aren't bringing our kids 1000 miles to your house for Xmas, they're going to spend Xmas morning in our own house, just like we did growing up. Get it?

Edit: I've made my parents sound like monsters--they aren't. Love em.

This one really speaks to me. I made a point to tell my parents when my wife was pregnant with our first how things were going to work. Christmas and holidays at my house now. I'm not packing my (now 2) kids into a car and driving 3 hours away so my parents can have both my brother and me in the same house. WE weren't packed into a car and traveled to our grandparents on holidays, so why should they expect my wife and me to do so? For the most part (the first couple of years they tried to guilt me) they've finally accepted this. But there are still times they still give grief. And they don't always come on the holidays itself, I've had to accept two "christmas days" because they refuse to come day of. There are other factors that are part of this, but I don't feel like this is the thread to get into it.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I think with advanced planning they could make this work for your mom. Based on what you wrote OP, I don't think you are wrong for feeling how you do. I will say the one thing to try to keep in check is to not let your emotions get the best of you and say things that you don't mean. It will only make things worse. I think this is one of those situations where it went off the rails and emotions are high across the board. There may be other things playing into these feelings as well. Things that aren't as on the surface? Basically, I would try to find a compromise. As you said, your mom is 70 and who knows how many birthday's you all have left with her. I would work this angle more. Maybe the kids missing a thing to be with the grandma isn't such a bad thing, you know? Maybe the parents need to consider that when making some decisions?

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

This is the kind of shit my mom and grandma would say out loud for maximum manipulation and drama.

This too.

This is like, mad "If you don't like America, then get out" energy, which is especially interesting since all this urgency is to cater to your anti-vax brother who is actually dumb enough to incur the cost and hassle of moving and literally get out of your lives forever.

The mom clearly lives on emotional abuse/manipulation and the OP has picked it up and has it in their own bag of tricks.

Seemingly.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies everyone, I am requesting this to be closed. I need self reflection and to look into these deeper issues that have been brought up.

Good luck OP, genuinely hope you reflect a little on the manipulation, it's possible you are getting pulled into your mom's web as well without realizing it. Have a conversation with your sister after everyone cools down. For all you know her unvaccinated child (4 years old) and your anti-vax brother could be the problem (it would be for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.