• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sad OP, hang in there.

I have a question, how did they force him to leave? The primary care provider statement shouldn't matter. Hospitals can't refuse care for patients - it's a federal law. Undocumented or not.

EMTALA

Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act (EMTALA) | CMS

For Medicare hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals (CAH): Learn about EMTALA and find CMS interpretive guidelines.

I was gonna ask something similar. I have heard about massive bills in the ol' US, but I have never heard about being denied treatment. Your uncle sounded awesome Nando, hope you get to celebrate his memory soon.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel you. We are currently also facing a similar situation. My father in law has leukemia (late stage) and was diagnosed with corona. We are hoping he pulls through. Such sad times.
Damn, I'm sorry for your loss. My uncle on my dads side is currently on life support due to corona. It's not looking good. I wish more people took this situation seriously.
Oh man, Im so sorry. I wish your family the best!

Last edited:

Alsim

Banned for Abuse Of The Giftbot system
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Your uncle sounds like a great guy. I am sorry for your loss, OP.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the world is lesser without Zeba. I'm sorry for your loss OP.

He wasn't family to me or anything, but we lost a friend of the family yesterday. His name was Don, and he was the first man who taught my daughter how to put together jigsaw puzzles. He was a genuinely good man. I didn't agree with him on all political issues, or hell many at all really, and his religious zeal was a bit off putting to me at times, but despite a thirty four year difference in age and extremely different belief structures, we became good friends. He resided in the apartments that my wife co manages in WA state, and I ended up spending quite a few days there with him in our club house. I can't shoot pool worth a damn, but he was so passionate about it that he would beg people to play him, and goddamn was he good at it. He taught my daughter how to shoot pool and how to do trick shots. He was a guitarist, played at his church often, and was passionate about the education and welfare of children. He was sick for around four days when his daughter took him to the hospital and they turned him away. She then took him to his doctor, they were too busy. It just seemed like noone had time for him. My friend, my wife's co manager, went into his apartment yesterday morning to check on him, and there he was slumped over in his favorite chair. She said he seemed peaceful, but who can know whether he passed peacefully or not? I don't know,.....still doesn't feel real if that makes any sense. He was only 67 man, that's too young. He wasn't exactly a vibrant fella, and he did have a tumor in his brain so he was living on borrowed years, but I still wasn't really ready to see him off yet. Telling my daughter about it was weird, it's as if she doesn't really understand that she'll never see him again, but then how are kids supposed to cope with this craziness? If there's an afterlife, please rest peacefully there Don, you deserved more time with us; I know there was still so much you had to teach my daughter, and I would have enjoyed hearing more old Air Force stories from you.

What's really terrible is that Don played pool every day with another friend of mine who resides in the same apartments, and this gentleman is 72 and suffers from a variety of medical issues, has a great deal of trouble breathing and walking, and is severely overweight. We don't know if he gave it to him, but we're worried about him, as he honestly isn't in the state of health to fight this thing off at all.

I just wish this nightmare would fucking end so things could go back to normal. None of this is right, people are going before their time man. Fuck, ....I don't know. Sorry to rant, this isn't about me, just kind of venting. I'm sorry for your loss OP, and here's hoping it's the last personal one you'll endure. Hopefully this will all be over soon, or at the very least hopefully we all get used to the new way of operating in this socially distant world. Good luck OP, and, for what it's worth, if there is any world after this one, then maybe Zeba and Don are happier in that one. Maybe they're playing their songs right now and enjoying a less complicated world, we can only hope.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
My condolences OP, no one should have to go through what you did and yet many people unfortunately do because some people are blinded by irrational hatred of anybody not like "them".

Oct 27, 2017
My deep condolences to you andyour family. I can't even begin to imagine how hard this is for you. Stay strong and hopefully you will get through this.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Condolences to you and your family.

The inhumanity of turning away a person in obvious distress...welcome to America.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss OP and the additional pain of having it shared. I can't imagine how that must have compounded it. Stay safe and all the best.

Mar 20, 2020
I'm so sorry man. So, so sorry.

Condolences to your family and you. Fuck politicians and fuck this inhumane system in the US.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really sorry OP. My uncle is also in the hospital due to COVID and it's not looking good. The worst part is none of us can visit him...

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Terribly sorry for your loss.

You hope hospital administration would realize that sending away people with COVID only means they're going to get more infections later on, but then there was that news item where an exasperated doctor got fired for saying the hospital was overwhelmed, so apparently even in this situation monkeys are running the show.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
What a terrible and tragic fate. My condolences. I wish your family the necessary strength to cope with this loss.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I am very sorry for your loss.

SHit like this should not happen. Being turned away during a pandemic because you don't have insurance. Absolutely deplorable.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
I'm so sorry... I teared up while reading the story of what happened to your uncle.
My sincere condolences and I wish you all the best.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Really sorry to hear this. Could have been avoided if our country wasn't so heartless at times.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sorry for your loss OP, your extended family and his as well. I'd love to hear his music & performances

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
My deepest sympathies to you and your family, OP. As an immigrant myself, it's infuriating to read stories like this.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
My condolences. That should never have happened. Fuck the for profit US healthcare system.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I am so so so so sorry. Reading this broke my heart. If you ever want to chat or vent, PM me.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
that's fucking awful, op. your uncle deserved much better. my sincerest condolences to you and your family right now.

a good reminder that these numbers of 1000s deaths we see each day are not just numbers or statistics, but indeed real people with friends/family that will now have to mourn their sudden loss, often from afar with no way to say goodbye. which is perhaps the cruelest and most heartbreaking part of this awful virus.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
My condolences to you and your family, nando. He sounds like was a great man. Best wishes.