• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Pretty sad OP, hang in there.

I have a question, how did they force him to leave? The primary care provider statement shouldn't matter. Hospitals can't refuse care for patients - it's a federal law. Undocumented or not.

EMTALA

Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act (EMTALA) | CMS

For Medicare hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals (CAH): Learn about EMTALA and find CMS interpretive guidelines.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very sad to hear this. There will be a lot more stories like this before we're done, I'm afraid. Do you have any clips of your uncle's music? I'd like to listen.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Im really sorry for your loss, Nando. I hope you keep the good memories of your uncle Zeba and celebrate him when all of this is done. Stay safe and i wish you the best.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My condolences. Wish this country had true universal programs and an open pathway to citizenship to keep this kind of thing from happening in any crisis - whether national or personal

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing man. Good luck, stay strong...

I just hope this galvanises people into thinking that society shouldn't work this way and the fortitude to change it.

It should not fail any of us...

ps3ud0 8)

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I have a question, how did they force him to leave? The primary care provider statement shouldn't matter. Hospitals can't refuse care for patients - it's a federal law. Undocumented or not.

EMTALA

For Medicare hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals (CAH): Learn about EMTALA and find CMS interpretive guidelines.
It does seem like a blatant violation of that law, but hospitals find ways. I volunteer with homeless people, and American hospitals just find ways to not treat people they don't want to. Some do it more than others, but it does happen to poor and uninsured people in this country every day.
It's gross, but what you gonna do, sue a hospital?
Good luck with that.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damn, I'm sorry for your loss. My uncle on my dads side is currently on life support due to corona. It's not looking good. I wish more people took this situation seriously.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I am so sorry for your loss. This is heartbreaking and infuriating.

EMTALA

Yeah, I was wondering, even as shitty as the US healthcare system is, I thought they couldn't do that...
It does seem like a blatant violation of that law, but hospitals find ways. I volunteer with homeless people, and American hospitals just find ways to not treat people they don't want to. Some do it more than others, but it does happen to poor and uninsured people in this country every day.
It's gross, but what you gonna do, sue a hospital?
Good luck with that.
Oh, fucking hell.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted when you first made this post but it's still on my mind.

This country failed your uncle, it failed your family, and the sad part is this is probably a more common occurrence but we'll never know because not many people are willing to post it like you. How many more undocumented immigrants have died because a shitty ass hospital won't treat them. No one should have to die like that, I just keep thinking about it and it kills me.

I just hope this shit wakes a lot of people up. It's naive, but I need to believe this will get people to realize how poorly this country is run.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
How dare people who happen to be born on someone else's patch of dirt seek medical care on my patch of dirt!

My condolences dude. This country failed your uncle.

Oct 27, 2017
I am so sorry, OP. Your Uncle shouldn't have had to die. He deserved so much better from a country that doesn't value the lives of far too many.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sorry OP. This thing is serious and is severely affecting so many people's lives.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Mom had a heart attack last night, and a nurse at the hospital she was at last night is undergoing tests for covid-19. So, I'm super worried and feel your pain.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Very sorry to hear about your uncle's passing OP. 'Legal' status should be no barrier to humane health provision. In this case, they denied your uncle basic humane treatment. Thanks for sharing your beautiful eulogy.

Mom had a heart attack last night, and a nurse at the hospital she was at last night is undergoing tests for covid-19. So, I'm super worried and feel your pain.

I can understand, my father recently went through heart surgery and is 'safe' recovering at home in the countryside where social distancing is easier. I am sure the hospital will be taking precautions to limit exposure, and I hope she is recovering well.

Oct 25, 2017
Deepest condolences OP, cannot be easy to experience such a loss.

My heart is with you and your extended family.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so so sorry for your loss, OP. Your uncle sounds like he was an incredible man.

Truly RIP.