• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. WOW. See previous about my favorite quote from this show, and reflect on the fact that Wheelie doesn't say it, and why that line makes Hot Rod a much better character than anyone in the Bayformers.
Gen 1 and the movie were literally 30 min (180 for the movie) commercials for toys.

At least Prime and Beast Wars told a good story with compelling themes and story/character arcs. Hell Beast Wars did time travel better!

Wildstrike

Jan 18, 2018
I mean he's right.
The Matrix comes out of nowhere as a huge important thing when seasons 1 and 2 have multiple instances where you'd go "wait, if he had this all along, where did it go when the quintessons rebuilt Optimus as a crocodile? Why didn't the Autobots ask Optimus to show it to them when the Decepticons sent a fake to impersonate him? Etc."

The movie is a colossal mess.

Think it worked better for those of us in the UK as it felt like we had a fair bit more stuff regarding the Matrix in our version of the comic.. Given we had so much additional content and many more issues than the US version.. (The aforementioned issue where Prime dies in a computer game is issue #24 in the US but #105/106 in the UK)

By comparison, we got barely any of the cartoon past season 1. Some of the multipart stories from season 2 showed up in Blockbuster etc.. but I don't think we got the whole lot broadcast at the time.. The movie is at least a LOT better than the majority of the series..

Oh and 'Nothing's Gonna Stand In Our Way' is a great track.. up there with Dare/The Touch..

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
There's too many "to sell toys" in the movie with multiple characters that don't contribute anything. Who lives and who dies is determined by whose toys are discontinued or not or who is a new one.
Yep. TFTM is the single most cynical piece of marketing bullshit I have ever seen.
Anyone who calls TFTM a bad movie has never had a childhood.
Or maybe they had their childhood ruined by it :D

And I agree with this:
Think it worked better for those of us in the UK as it felt like we had a fair bit more stuff regarding the Matrix in our version of the comic.. Given we had so much additional content and many more issues than the US version.. (The aforementioned issue where Prime dies in a computer game is issue #24 in the US but #105/106 in the UK)
The UK comic was so, so much better than the US version, mainly thanks to Simon Furman. Although unfortunately he did also give us Death's Head, who was a wanker (and ended up shoehorned into the TF continuity, which was bullshit).

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean he's right.

The three main acts of the movie have nothing to do with each other. Unicron, the Quintessons, the Decepticons, they all more or less crash into each other and aren't meaningfully worked into the story. Which is odd, cuz the story originally planned to have the Quints be working FOR Unicron, only for them to change it?

There's too many "to sell toys" in the movie with multiple characters that don't contribute anything. Who lives and who dies is determined by whose toys are discontinued or not or who is a new one.

The Matrix comes out of nowhere as a huge important thing when seasons 1 and 2 have multiple instances where you'd go "wait, if he had this all along, where did it go when the quintessons rebuilt Optimus as a crocodile? Why didn't the Autobots ask Optimus to show it to them when the Decepticons sent a fake to impersonate him? Etc."

The movie is a colossal mess.

All true, and yet it was still the best TF movie ever made until last December.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly think this is one of hbomb's worst videos. this one doesn't feel as well-prepared as his usual output. feels like he's making the same points over and over.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. TFTM is the single most cynical piece of marketing bullshit I have ever seen.

And I agree with this:

The UK comic was so, so much better than the US version, mainly thanks to Simon Furman. Although unfortunately he did also give us Death's Head, who was a wanker (and ended up shoehorned into the TF continuity, which was bullshit).

Wasn't death's head also part of Doctor Who continuity?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't death's head also part of Doctor Who continuity?
Yeah, he somehow managed to be in both continuties, although I'm not quite sure how they hand-waved away the fact that he was Transformer-sized and human-sized. It's been such a long time that I just can't remember the details!

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, he somehow managed to be in both continuties, although I'm not quite sure how they hand-waved away the fact that he was Transformer-sized and human-sized. It's been such a long time that I just can't remember the details!

I believe the Doctor used the Master's tissue compression eliminator to shrink him. Doesn't ask me why that worked on death's head.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

And I agree with this:

Death's Head is a Marvel character, he's been around recently, too. He's a fine character, and his stories worked. Why he's Trasnformer sized, and what his original size is, was even explaining in the comics. Both UK and US.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, he mentions his older videos that he used to have, looks like they're not available on his channel anymore though as there are no let's plays and that series he referred to is gone.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone cares for my (and my brother's) long take. We've been doing a podcast where we ostensibly watch 80s movies, but really it's just the shit we watched as kids. YouTube link to Transformers:

I thought this thread was gonna be about someone spending their retirement account on Toys.

Thanks for this. I enjoyed this podcast from real fans.

I liked how you discussed how the Decepticons have the power of flight and the Autobots don't except the Dinobots.

Also, you talked for 86 minutes and you didn't mention if Skywarp or Bombshell became the OG Cyclonus? lol

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
Transformers: The Movie is a cynical advert to make kids buy toys. But it's also great fun; enjoyably pulpy with one of the most gratifying soundtracks I've ever heard.

I'm not here to argue that it's objectively good, or that it makes sense without childlike wonder (or lashings of nostalgia for the 80s). But it's a very fun time if you're suitably primed!

"Tell Grimlock about petro-rabbits again!"

VJH4tHB.png

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
tho there still exists a video on YouTube of me humping a Krystal's box that i cannot delete because it's not on my channel

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I had my daughter and nephew both watch this a couple of years ago when the bayformers movies were still a thing.

They LOVED it, and since they had never seen the OG animated series the prime dying stuff didn't traumatize them

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I've certainly never held the cartoon show up as any sort of good fiction (The Marvel comics were great though), but Beast Wars fell at the first hurdle for me as a kid by looking like shit. It's always been the concept of cool looking robots which turned into cool looking vehicles and machinery which appealed to me. Beast Wars had goofy looking robots which turned into even goofier looking animals. It never made sense to me as a kid why they even bothered to Transform at all.

IIRC Beast Wars Transformers are organic/machine hybrids. For some reason prehistoric earth was saturated with energon, and being in beast mode (as opposed to robot mode) shielded them from interference/energon poisoning/something similar over long periods of time.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Man, I love this movie so damn much. I rewatch it every two years or so. There's few things Transformers-wise that are as good as this movie, and they are the UK comics and more recently the James Roberts comics (More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light). And the last issue of James Roberts' Lost Light is pretty much a love letter to this movie.

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the movie but I think because I was already later to the game it didn't have the same impact with the death. I was into Transformers via VHS rentals and didn't watch religiously on TV.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Do you really think children would rather buy toys that transform into gorillas and giant rats, than supercars and fighter jets? Come on son.
Yeah. Beast Wars was way after my time, but I would not have been interested in semi-organic looking animal toys at all. I began to bail on G1 around when they introduced Pretenders. I just couldn't get down with the concepts of janky looking Transformers wearing giant human suits. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. Also once G2 hit and everything became a neon coloured mess and vehicle modes started having stickers instead of translucent plastic windows.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of the take that without the Joker, The Dark Knight wouldn't be a great movie.

"Apart from the attack on the shuttle and Autobot City, the Deception leadership struggle, the trial, the final battle, the Unicron and Megatron/Galvatron interactions, the dialogue, the music, and the animation, the 1986 Transformers movie is a bad movie. Also, I was born six years after the movie was released."

(But HBomberguy does provide good points regarding the themes of movie.)

Last edited:

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
im gonna shamelessly steal a quote i read on here from the Transformers The Movie theatre OT

"How can Ultra Magnus be so huge yet so useless"

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
"Megatron! DECEPTICOOONS!!!"

"DIE AUTOBOTS!!!"

*Megatron proceeds to actually kill several Autobots easily*

My entire world changed forever. Also that song playing during that scene was rad.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
He is right, the animation was inconsistant at best, characters would appear and disappear randomly and plots made little sense
Planet-sized god can only die by a macguffin, wants to destroy it, characters are caught in the mess as it escalates. Honestly it's pretty easy to follow even for kids.

It's not like A New Hope where they expect you to believe that a moon-sized weapon of planetary destruction can be destroyed by a single hit in the exhaust port. And yet it's considered a good movie for decades until they retconned the plot hole.