• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Since moving here (England), I've gotten to experience the village life up North, and I must say, it's been more than I could have ever hoped for.

I went to the pub this weekend and...

2kZ9rCb.jpg

We had a rogue archer a few months ago:

VABnw6T.jpg

We routinely have escaped animals wandering up and down main street trying to go into schools, pubs, and back gardens:

mHuQj95.jpg

It even rained grass once. Can your town top mine?

Oct 25, 2017
The most exciting thing that happens in my town is when the 5 local neo-nazis right wing extremists show up to hand out flyers and sit in their little tent and then 60 cops show up to protect them from confused mothers with little children until they leave again.

So, no. Your town sounds fun and exciting.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
My home city (also North England) sometimes has falconers on the high street during summer, but I've yet to see them down the pub.
We do, however, have a vampire rabbit!

OP
OP
H.Protagonist
The most exciting thing that happens in my town is when the 5 local neo-nazis right wing extremists show up to hand out flyers and sit in their little tent and then 60 cops show up to protect them from confused mothers with little children until they leave again.

So, no. Your town sounds fun and exciting.

That certainly does not sound as fun as hawks at a pub. There must at least be a haunted house in your area, surely.

My town had a vampire cult in the 90's

Go on...

Let's be honest, who doesn't love a good bit of falconry.

Right? They pair well with ale too, apparently.

My city has a 5 meter tall chrome statue of a knuckleduster.

C'mon. You gotta at least post a pic.

My home city (also North England) sometimes has falconers on the high street during summer, but I've yet to see them down the pub.
We do, however, have a vampire rabbit!

We need more info and pics on this.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Your town looks amazing, OP.

I love animals so I'd be so happy to have that stuff happen to me :)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gordon Ramsay did a Kitchen Nightmares episode for a place over here once

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Posts like this make my desire to move to the countryside surge. I'm ready for that escaped cow life.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I saw some dude dragging a harnessed Savannah cat across a Starbucks parking lot on Saturday, so.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
We have a guy who travels around on a bicycle who always has his parrot with him. He does work around the square and when he is working the parrot just sits on a lamp post till he is done. I have also seen a man use a lawnchair, two skateboards, and huskies to get around town. That is about all I have

OP
OP
H.Protagonist
Your town looks amazing, OP.

I love animals so I'd be so happy to have that stuff happen to me :)

The number of times we get cows, sheep, swans, and horses running amok here is highly entertaining. It's a fun change from the big city.

Gordon Ramsay did a Kitchen Nightmares episode for a place over here once

Ooo, do tell.

Posts like this make my desire to move to the countryside surge. I'm ready for that escaped cow life.

It's not all birds of prey at the bar here, but I'm enjoying myself immensely. Everyone's very friendly, and the local FB gossip page is endlessly entertaining. It's almost worth it just for that.

my town had a murder 2 weeks ago. 2nd one within 3 years.

Small town too, I take it? We had a prominent murder here two years ago(?). It was before my time, but a police man strangled his wife and dumped her in the local pond. It was quite the affair, apparently.

I saw some dude dragging a harnessed Savannah cat across a Starbucks parking lot on Saturday, so.

Yes! This is what I like. No pics, though? In my previous town/village before this one (we were only there a few months), we took our cat out for a walk and ran into someone else taking their cat for a walk. It was quite humorous.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My hometown was the definition of boring, but now I live in the big city and weirdos of all sorts come with the territory. You just keep walking and avoid eye contact.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! This is what I like. No pics, though?
Unfortunately no!

I was in the car with my brother waiting to pick up a friend who works at said Starbucks, which is attached to a larger strip mall. He saw the cat first across the parking lot. But I'm so short, that by the time I was able to sit up and find the guy, he'd already picked up the stubborn animal and carried it to an outdoor cafe. At the angle we were at, behind cars and things, it would've been impossible to get a good picture without just approaching the owner like a weirdo. I just didn't want to be that person.

But hey, I've got two other witnesses to corroborate my story!

In my previous town/village before this one (we were only there a few months), we took our cat out for a walk and ran into someone else taking their cat for a walk. It was quite humorous.
Haha, did you make like a gesture of solidarity? Like a fist bump or something? You had to complete the moment.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Small town too, I take it? We had a prominent murder here two years ago(?). It was before my time, but a police man strangled his wife and dumped her in the local pond. It was quite the affair, apparently.
yeah small. 20.000. And in Germany. Not too many murders happening around here. 3 years ago some dude killed his mom and 2 weeks ago a couple got attacked by their neighbour with a knife and the husband died.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You think that's strange? England?
I guess if stange means quaint.

You have no ideas the real dystopias that are out there.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Some people say that our area is very rich of satanic cults, but i don't know.
Lots of friends say they saw the most weird stuff.

Friends of my friends used to hang out in a very old house, called "Mansion of the Seven Cypresses", and one afternoon they got in and saw a naked lady in a bed with 5 people in a black robe around her. They ran away fast, veeery fast.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My town is pretty dull.

But my Dad comes from a little town in the mountains of Colorado. It was settled by Mormon pioneers, and every year on July 24th, (the anniversary of the day the Mormon pioneers arrived in UTAH, not the day these people arrived in Colorado,) they have a big celebration of pioneer heritage.

This includes a parade.
Oh, god, the parade.

The parade happens on, I think, the closest Friday to the 24th of July. It's a huge deal. Every church, every business, every sub-group witihin every church has a float in this parade. And the whole town turns out to watch it.
This is not the dumb part.
Everyone goes out, the floats go by, they all clap appreciatively. Some of the floats have people throwing candy. It's neat. And after the parade goes by, they all keep sitting there. Why, you ask? Because the parade is going to turn around when it reaches the end of the route, and then come back, and they are all going to watch the other side of the parade as it goes back the other direction.
This is still not the dumb part.
The dumb part is that on Saturday, the next day, they go out and do it all over again. People sit and watch the parade, then they wait, and then they watch it go back the other way.
I have seen family members go to watch the same stupid parade four times.
Now, disclaimer, I have not been there in several years. Maybe they don't do that anymore. And in fairness, they have a pretty great carnival and cookout associated with the whole thing. But... yeah, the parade is a running joke in my family.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
We have the longest aqueduct in the whole country, I guess.

Oh, and some royal weddings centuries ago.

Just Google about Elvas, Portugal if you want to know more.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I know where that is.

Hot Fuzz is basically a documentary about the village that I grew up in near the Peak District. They had an annual village fete since 1845 where the local well was "dressed" with flowers and a "Well Dressing Queen" (a young girl) was crowned.

There's maypole dancing, arts and craft marquees, children's entertainment, a pet show, Morris dancers, vintage car and tractor displays, Songs of Praise and more. It's all very Wicker Man/Midsommar.

21060-0.jpg

444915_43d079f3.jpg

endon-2.jpg

Peak white people.

Last edited:

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
In the town where I grew up, there are a lot of different birds living in the main park and they will often leave and roam around the town. For years when I was taking the morning bus I would be waiting at the bus stop with a bunch of hens and roosters. There were larger birds too though, and once when I was leaving for school there was a peacock chilling in our garden. I also ran into a peacock fighting with a turkey once while I was walking our dog.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
my town has tv shows and movies filmed in it. i don't think that's very weird. it's nice to look at.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
My home town is boring stick up the ass government town.

They shut down a kids lemonade stand a few years ago.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3505994/...ttawa-bike-days-if-they-sign-3-page-contract/

The National Capital Commission is allowing children to open a lemonade stand on Sunday Bikedays in Ottawa this summer, provided that the kids and their parents get a permit and agree to 15 separate conditions.

Last year, the NCC made headlines when it shut down a lemonade stand operated by two young girls. It later relented and let the stand open back up, with a permit. This year, they're making the program official

Literally the town of "no fun allowed".

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
My home town is boring stick up the ass government town.

They shut down a kids lemonade stand a few years ago.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3505994/...ttawa-bike-days-if-they-sign-3-page-contract/

Literally the town of "no fun allowed".
Does the fourth largest city in Canada count as a 'town'? I mean, don't get me wrong, planned capitols are usually boring (D.C. was like this up until around the turn of the century), but still probably has more going on than most podunks in northern Ontario.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
My town has:

- A water tower that looks like a birthday cake
- Someone who keeps a clothed, ATV/motorcycle-riding alligator named Rambo
- A group of swans descended from a pair that once belonged to Queen Elizabeth II who serve as the city's mascots

Actually I guess my town isn't that strange at all.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
In my home town, a guy stripped naked, got a shotgun, and drove to the only store in town and aggressively proposed to the young cashier. Then, he drove down main with all the truck doors open with the gun across his lap to a barn. The SWAT team finally arrived from a few towns over and listened to him play piano all night before he surrendered.

Edit: as for animals, I once had to chase down and subdue five emus that had escaped and were running around town. You ain't lived until you've snatched the neck of an angry emu from the window of a moving pickup to stuff a pillow case on it.

Context: this is a town of 500 people in the deserts of New Mexico, not Australia

Last edited:

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My city of roughly 20k multiplies by at least 5 for one weekend for a huge Christmas festival. I swear we can't even function right during that time of year. I wouldn't call it strange but something you wouldn't expect from a small town.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
The most hoppin' part of my town is the local Harley Davidson shop which is also a concert venue which is also a BBQ restaurant which is also an auction house.