• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Haha, I'd given the same reply as the ones quoted in OP. Mainly because I'm a chubby couch potato who definitely doesn't do everything he could.
When my friends compliment my looks or my new clothes I always assume they're just sarcastic and laugh it off.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
This thread forced me to actual challenge my horrific self esteem for the first time in quite awhile. Thanks op!

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think because there's less pressure on men to be "beautiful" as a defining characteristic it's easier for men to joke about being unattractive even if they don't actually believe they're below average. See also the prevalence of"my wife is super hot and I'm ugly" comments from average men. Being a beautiful man isn't really something to brag about, men are valued more for their acquisitions and in this patriarchal society acquiring a hot wife gets the kudos more than just having a cute face.

Yeah. As far as I am concerned being good looking is a means to end. It brings with it popularity and opportunities for sex, possibly some credibility. When I was a young man, late teens to early twenties, I was slim, slightly quirky looking but seemingly quite attractive because I was sleeping with and in relationships with good looking women. At the end of that period, I met the woman who has been my wife for twelve years. I'm now nearly forty, I've got a decent career, I have no interest in having sex with anyone but my wife, I'm happy, always happy. I really don't give a fuck if I'm handsome or not because being handsome won't get me anything that I need right now. Objectively I'm not handsome and need to lose some weight which, fortunately for me, isn't that difficult for me to do. And then I'll look better. But still no oil painting. So it's easy to be self-deprecating because it's the truth and it doesn't hurt me to say it.

The thread this thread was borne out of was asking 'would you be creeped out by someone wanking over your image online' or something similar. No-one is cracking one off to my selfies. I'm not that great in the flesh but I look even worse in pictures. That's just the fact of the matter. It does't upset me and there is no point pretending it isn't so.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
The worst part is ..... It doesn't matter what anyone tells me. I've had exes say I'm good looking , girls ask friends I was with for my number and I still want to cry anytime I see a picture of myself ... I feel fat and utterly hideous when I see non - selfies

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend looking at me like I'm some sort of sexy person, feels pretty fucking good. I'm average now but I was an ugly teenager/young adult, like the spawn of Frank Ribery and Sly Stallone. I never had compliments from men or women, and then when I started to, I couldn't take them serious.

Last edited:

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Hate to say it but IT IS a gaming forum. Guaranteed the responses would be different if this was a body building forum.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you've experienced this yourself, but I've found that sense of humor, demeanor, and personality can radically change how I view a person, to the point where their features don't even register as a negative, if they're not conventionally attractive.

I find people like Stephen Fry and the late Alan Rickman totally magnetic, even though they're far from my ideal physical types. This isn't restricted to entertainers, of course. I've known a number of coworkers with outstanding personalities and below average appearances.

I imagine there's some sort of hard-wired imperative that allows charisma to override or recalibrate a person's sense of aesthetics.

Being hot is great, obviously, but if someone is good company, they're liable to form lasting connections that can include physical intimacy.
This is true. Personality means a lot to a lot of people, me included.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I ask my girlfriend all the time what she sees in me physically. I've always been self conscious about my looks. She says I'm fine and loves me. I think she's fucking gorgeous though. I've always had self hate and self loathing issues for as long as I can remember.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
b59a913c-f854-4deb-9e24-2d7c5d3c0299.jpg

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Remember that being self-deprecating is bad and will only get you attention in the short term. Confident is the best way to be.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible to be both self-confident and self-deprecating at the same time
Yeah. It's just often, it can just be a way to mask your poor self esteem. Others can't hurt you if you joke about it first, etc. Which is why when I see loved ones who say they have poor self esteem, one of the things I tell them is 1) try to accept compliments, even if you don't believe them (that really doesn't make them wrong) and 2) to stop putting themselves down, even jokingly. For some people it may just be in good fun, though. But I'd still ask them to challenge why they do it.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It's just often, it can just be a way to mask your poor self esteem. Others can't hurt you if you joke about it first, etc. Which is why when I see loved ones who say they have poor self esteem, one of the things I tell them is 1) try to accept compliments, even if you don't believe them (that really doesn't make them wrong) and 2) to stop putting themselves down, even jokingly. For some people it may just be in good fun, though. But I'd still ask them to challenge why they do it.

I think there is a difference between almost pathetically doing yourself down in a way that makes you look like a total loser and just being cheerfully open about your flaws. People who are at peace with themselves don't have problems doing that because they have accepted who they are and know where their strengths and weaknesses lie. Being absurdly and unjustifiably overconfident is just as big a problem as having no self-esteem at all. It does tend to get better results though.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a difference between almost pathetically doing yourself down in a way that makes you look like a total loser and just being cheerfully open about your flaws. People who are at peace with themselves don't have problems doing that because they have accepted who they are and know where their strengths and weaknesses lie. Being absurdly and unjustifiably overconfident is just as big a problem as having no self-esteem at all. It does tend to get better results though.

Yeah, arrogance is no good either. But I think there's a big difference between being kind to oneself and arrogance. Being at peace with your flaws and realising they don't define you as a person is a form of kindness as well.

When I was a teenager, I used to be really bad at accepting compliments. Part of this was due to me not liking the attention, positive or otherwise (social anxiety), but also because I didn't really believe them. I quickly realised that accepting the compliments got me less attention overall (as rejecting compliments sometimes gets you a poor reaction, e.g. people thinking you're trying to milk even more compliments), but it took me much longer to finally just start believing the positive comments I got, especially ones that were frequent. Eventually, it became easier to believe them, and my self image improved. This had a doubly positive impact in that it changed the way others perceived me for the better as well.

Sometimes we can be far more critical towards ourselves than we would literally anyone else, even to the point of being unfair. It's what I meant earlier when I said we aren't always our fairest critics. Sometimes all we see are the flaws, and we can exaggerate them. A more positive self image is also likely to help you improve yourself, too. As you feel like you're worth working on, and not a lost cause.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I have no desire to see what I look like and advoid it like the plague. I have one small mirror for shaving and that's it. Thankfully I'm so hunched over that I can't see people laughing at me.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I don't know, no one has ever commented on my looks other than my family and very close friends. They say I'm good looking or handsome but when I look at myself I don't get it why.

I think I look below average and i'm short

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
It's nice to see a positive thread in OT. And you actually bring up some good points OP.

Btw you lookin hella fresh today, Era.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only compliments about my appearance I ever get are from old ladies who say my hair is really dark brown and ask what my ethnic background is. I don't understand it, it's happened more than 3 times out of the blue.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
I appreciate the sentiment but I will echo what my straight girlfriend had to say.

Womens nude bodies are beautiful. No one wants a pick of a dick. Even to straight women they are ugly.
Why do I feel the need to remind everyone on this thread that gay men are a thing that exists and "dick haters" is definitely not a good way to describe us.

Mjester

Banned
Mar 3, 2018
Not that I was part of the other thread but hypothetically I'm the target audience for this thread and to be honest this thread - while it's meant well - is a bit patronizing.

Looks ain't everything, also.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of value not being tied to looks is also the feeling that defining beauty like that isn't really useful. Beautiful means something else to the majority of people, and honestly, even many women internalize it as being desirable to the object of their affections - or sometimes the masses.

Which is about sexual value, in itself.

So I appreciate the sentiment - I ain't beautiful though, in that sense!

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I think as a woman there's something you end up realizing probably much sooner and faster than our male peers, it's that: everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY has self-esteem and body issues. I've never met a girl who was 100% in love with her body, who didn't have stuff to obsess and worry about, stuff she'd hate about herself. Some manage to get at ease with those issues, and make peace with them as much as can be, but it's something I've realized is overwhelmingly true. Even the most beautiful of them, even those who it is the job to make money out of their beauty, they'll have a long list of things that make them self-conscious about their bodies, and long list of grievances about them.

As such, and in a capitalistic society that would love nothing more for us to feel constantly bad about ourselves so we keep buying stuff that would "help" fill that void but never do, it became apparent that we have to love ourselves and uplift each other as much as can be. Find things in ourselves that we like, and uplift those things instead of focusing on the bad, and do the same for our peers. This is maybe why women are also more inclined to compliment one another, it's because we know all of us have our load of insecurities to deal with, and how difficult it is to deal with them at times. And while I'll agree that physical beauty doesn't have to ever become the focal point of anybody ever, it's still a great thing to become at peace with our appearances, in a way that doesn't just focus on the bad parts, but also values the good ones and celebrate them, as it also helps building confidence, and overall attractiveness.

I don't know if you've experienced this yourself, but I've found that sense of humor, demeanor, and personality can radically change how I view a person, to the point where their features don't even register as a negative, if they're not conventionally attractive.

I find people like Stephen Fry and the late Alan Rickman totally magnetic, even though they're far from my ideal physical types. This isn't restricted to entertainers, of course. I've known a number of coworkers with outstanding personalities and below average appearances.

I imagine there's some sort of hard-wired imperative that allows charisma to override or recalibrate a person's sense of aesthetics.

Being hot is great, obviously, but if someone is good company, they're liable to form lasting connections that can include physical intimacy.

This is indeed very much the case. That's basically how I fell in love with my ex, who I wasn't initially attracted to upon befriending them. However, after weeks and months of interacting, their charisma, kindness, personality ended up feeding the physical and sexual chemistry, and their physical traits then also became attractive to me.

Similarly, people I found attractive while first meeting them became ugly to me in a matter of few interactions, solely because their personality was just downright ruining their physical appearance.

Sadly in a world of constant immediacy, in a world of swiping right or left in a matter of seconds on a picture you're just seeing for the first time, that sort of thing doesn't have time to develop and grow at all. People might be missing amazing love stories and life partners solely because the emphasis is put on physical appearance too much in dating apps. Which is why I've never used them, and don't intend in doing so.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what people hope to accomplish offering up platitudes like "Everyone is beautiful." That sentiment comes from a good place, but it's patently untrue. Moreover though I don't see how that is really going to make anyone feel better about their own appearance. Even if everyone is beautiful, some people are clearly more beautiful than others.....as evidenced by the way the world regards them. It's that inequality that leads to dismay.
100%

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you're somehow as ugly as you think, you're on Era which means you've got a big dick. Congratulations.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'm not trying to force anyone to feel a certain way about themselves. That said, I'm not handing out empty compliments either. Let me tell you why.

A few days ago, I went to meet a friend. You wouldn't consider him 'conventionally attractive'. And being a straight guy, when I'm talking to men, there are a lot of things I usually don't notice. But that day, I started noticing these things. The way he would smile, the way his eyes lit up when he was telling me about a song he was working on, the way he cocked his head to the side in thought, kinda like a puppy. All these things that just made me go - wow, he's beautiful. And I just wanted to keep looking at him, enjoying the way his thoughts found their way to his face. When returning from that meet, the idea that stuck with me was-

Beautiful emotions will find beautiful ways to express themselves.

The joy, wonder, love, happiness, sorrow and curiosity you feel are all just as beautiful in your head as they are in someone else's. And I really believe that as long as you allow yourself to just FEEL these emotions, they will shine right through your face to others.

And I'm not trying to post some fake motivational bullshit. Everything I talk about is my lived experience. I've had huge insecurities, I've been depressed and lonely and felt worthless. There was a point in my life where I would walk the roads outside my college past midnight, thinking that I wouldn't care one whit if a truck ran me over or a bunch of thugs mugged me.

But we can decide how to feel about ourselves and our lives through big and small choices everyday. When you stub your toe against the door, you can either go 'fuck fuck fuck fuck, my life fucking sucks' or just think 'ow, stupid me' and laugh about it.

When you start trying to love yourself, you'll feel like an imposter. You emotions will feel forced, and your smiles will feel fake. Do it all anyway.

Because one day it won't feel fake anymore.

I haven't magically transformed into Chris Evans in the past few years. But I HAVE learned to love myself. I might not fit any conventional definition of "hotness", but I know I'm beautiful when I smile. And when I'm kind to others, when I help people or say something nice to them, I know that in that moment, they find me beautiful. :)
The experience you had with your friend is totally valid. But when you expand it to be some universal thing, it stops meaning much.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Thank you OP, my male friends have said that I am decent looking. Unfortunately, folks of my ethnicity are not really popular with other ethnicities (iirc from Tinder dating pref data, which is kind of old now) and more importantly, I am smol. For all of us striving toward egalitarianism, most people can't digest seeing a couple where the guy is shorter than the gal. So I said fuck it, I am out. If someone online gets off by looking at my pic, it'll be because they aren't aware of my smol-ness.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I feel the need to remind everyone on this thread that gay men are a thing that exists and "dick haters" is definitely not a good way to describe us.
Hence me prefacing that this is what my straight girlfriend thinks.

Everyone of course is different, I just found it interesting she finds womens bodies generally more aesthetically pleasing than mens. She even says she follows more hot women on insta and thinks its douchey when dudes pose shirtless lol

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I look like shit and i'm tall, let's do a fusion dance

Lmao i guess it could work out but chances are we become a sort of invisible because we would be super average looking.

Serious response: Don't be too hard on yourself man, i'm pretty sure most in here look better than they think. Just eat healthy, work out, take care of yourself and put on some nice clothes but most important of all just be a chill dude.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I think as a woman there's something you end up realizing probably much sooner and faster than our male peers, it's that: everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY has self-esteem and body issues. I've never met a girl who was 100% in love with her body, who didn't have stuff to obsess and worry about, stuff she'd hate about herself. Some manage to get at ease with those issues, and make peace with them as much as can be, but it's something I've realized is overwhelmingly true. Even the most beautiful of them, even those who it is the job to make money out of their beauty, they'll have a long list of things that make them self-conscious about their bodies, and long list of grievances about them.

As such, and in a capitalistic society that would love nothing more for us to feel constantly bad about ourselves so we keep buying stuff that would "help" fill that void but never do, it became apparent that we have to love ourselves and uplift each other as much as can be. Find things in ourselves that we like, and uplift those things instead of focusing on the bad, and do the same for our peers. This is maybe why women are also more inclined to compliment one another, it's because we know all of us have our load of insecurities to deal with, and how difficult it is to deal with them at times. And while I'll agree that physical beauty doesn't have to ever become the focal point of anybody ever, it's still a great thing to become at peace with our appearances, in a way that doesn't just focus on the bad parts, but also values the good ones and celebrate them, as it also helps building confidence, and overall attractiveness.

This is indeed very much the case. That's basically how I fell in love with my ex, who I wasn't initially attracted to upon befriending them. However, after weeks and months of interacting, their charisma, kindness, personality ended up feeding the physical and sexual chemistry, and their physical traits then also became attractive to me.

Similarly, people I found attractive while first meeting them became ugly to me in a matter of few interactions, solely because their personality was just downright ruining their physical appearance.

Sadly in a world of constant immediacy, in a world of swiping right or left in a matter of seconds on a picture you're just seeing for the first time, that sort of thing doesn't have time to develop and grow at all. People might be missing amazing love stories and life partners solely because the emphasis is put on physical appearance too much in dating apps. Which is why I've never used them, and don't intend in doing so.
Great post!

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I was in a rotten mood the other day, and kinda unloading on my ex girlfriend, who has since become a close friend. I was talking about how I felt crappy and ugly.

She responded "Nonsense. You are open hearted, caring, and you're cute!"

Her taking a moment to say that I was attractive meant a lot to me. She didn't have to do that. In fact, most people never will. But boy did it boost my confidence. She and I have no interest in dating each other (we dated long enough to know it just doesn't work), but to hear it from someone I think is one of the most awesome people I've ever met, it meant the world.

Tell your guys they're cute. They deserve to know.

En Avant

Alt account
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
The best part of having terrible vision is that I can take my glasses off whenever I know I'll be going in front of a mirror.

That alongside avoiding all photographs has made it easy for me to dissociate myself from my physical body.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well I do indeed have very low self-esteem I'm that area and the nasty comments on videos don't help. Thus, I've just accepted it at this point. Nothing much I can do.
Ah man, I really hope you do not believe it. Realize how small and myopic the world of YouTube comments really is. The real issue. And one we share as dudes who really are not ugly. Is past times, passions, career fields etc that make it very difficult to make connections that might foster romantic relationships.

You just have to find the avenues and put yourself out there in a more serious way because you're not ugly. I'm in the same place as you I think. My romantic life hasn't been the greatest but that's on me a well.

Not trying to project. I just hear the from you what my inner thoughts kind of sounded like not too long ago.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what people hope to accomplish offering up platitudes like "Everyone is beautiful." That sentiment comes from a good place, but it's patently untrue. Moreover though I don't see how that is really going to make anyone feel better about their own appearance. Even if everyone is beautiful, some people are clearly more beautiful than others.....as evidenced by the way the world regards them. It's that inequality that leads to dismay.
The problem is that what is considered "more beautiful" are white, european features.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You say that but then you have to remember that a good number of people here don't even shower regularly.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I thought this thread was gonna go in a completely different way when I read the title, but it ended wholesome and nice.

I have to say the OP is probably right, I dont have much selfsteem with my looks, even when im actually what people would call a normal nice looking person. But even then, maybe that normalcy is what makes me not stand out and have problems with my selfsteem.

Also thank you OP, this thread is as beautiful as you.