• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was considered really hot in high school. No shortage of girlfriends, etc. I guess I kind of let myself go a little as I got older but I never felt bad about my appearance. Women still call me sweetie and honey everywhere I go. I always took that to mean they thought was pleasing to look at, but maybe it actually means I'm ugly? Lol. I'm too old to care really.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the wholesomeness of this thread. Good shit, OP. I definitely have a habit of self-deprication and I'm not sure if it's to be funny or if I genuinely have a low opinion of myself.

...Honestly it's probably the latter, since I know I'm undercutting myself before anyone else can.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm a bit hesitant to post this but since the OP and others are being pretty open about stuff, I feel it's probably worth me being so too. I don't want to make it seem like I'm shitting on the thread because I'm genuinely sure it helps some people, which can only be good, but this is about my own personal reaction.

I have really, really low self-esteem. In general, but about my appearance especially. Like, it's bad, and whilst I'm starting to take some medication and the like that hopefully can start me on the path to improving my mental health I'm still just generally in a constant state of self-loathing. It's not something I talk about, in fact I think this is probably the first time I've ever even talked about how much I hate my appearance. Part of my low self-esteem manifests in me never really getting my problems out, to the point where my doctor has directed me towards programmes where I could talk to people anonymously (which I still haven't really looked into because I'm a cowardly piece of shit but hey, this is supposed to be about improvement so I'm determined to stop letting things like this stop me sometime soon).

And one thing I've noticed is that I don't relate to anonymous support well. You see these kinds of posts all over twitter or tumblr, vague, non-personal reassurances of support, and never do I come away from them not feeling kind of like shit. And I know they help others, but my own reaction to it is just very negative.

It's like... you don't know me. I get what you're trying to say but when I'm being complemented by someone who doesn't even know I exist I just can't see it as anything other than insincere. It's not a real compliment, it's an assurance of the way people actually in my life should supposedly treat me. But they don't, so rather than making me feel better, it just enhances my insecurities. It's like, if the reassurances I'm getting are from people doing it to fight against some perceived societal issue and nothing to do with me personally, what does that say about me?

And I know that's irrational. It's really fucking irrational, actually. But this whole thing's irrational. I have no reason to hate myself as much as I do, but I do anyway. The OP is just trying to be nice and here I am dumping my own problems on their thread and just shitting the whole thing up, which in itself it sucks that I feel bad for doing that because part of the reason I have my issues in the first place is because I have so much trouble talking about my feelings!

I guess what I'm trying to say with this awful rambling is that OP is spot on. Men just don't receive the same kind of reinforcement that women do (I mean, they also don't take the same shit women do, but gendered issues are not binary opppsites and the problems come from different places). But we can't fight this with vague positivity. Being nice for the sake of being nice doesn't work for people like me, because we spend so much time trying to make everything as bad as it could possibly be.

What we genuinely need to start doing is being honest with each other. It shouldn't be about finding ways to complement each other, it's should just be about vocalising the way we already feel. I have a pretty close knit group of friend and they're all wonderful people, and I absolutely do not tell them that enough. I've been trying to make a conscious effort to do that more, even if it's just something small like putting in a supportive word when a friend posts something they're proud of in a group chat. Self-deprecation comes very easily to men because it feels like so much of the male social identity is based around competition. Men put each other down pretty constantly, and whilst it's usually all jokes and can be quite fun in the right moods, eventually that gets to your head. I'm barely able to say anything negative about myself without turning it into a joke, because even though I know all my friends couldn't be more supportive of each other, I'm still just frankly scared to be open.

I think a big part of why men don't hear compliments too much is because of the fear to put themselves out there. Which is a shame because now that I've started trying to show a bit more of myself to my friends it's only been positivity back to me. Maybe I'll post a recording of my piano playing and I always get genuine support back. I'm still scared, but seeing real support and real validation helps me bit by bit. People do care about me, I just have to let them. I know that isn't true for everyone, but I think it's true for a lot of us.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
I honestly think I'm better looking than most men, just by virtue of being a young, healthy-ish adult with no major deformities, but I still don't get the appeal. The male face/body/whatever is just kind of gross. Even the best looking dude is all blocky and pointy and hairy.

Like if someone wants some, go get it, but I'm eternally baffled as to why. Even trying to be objective, I just don't like looking at us.
I'm sorry but guys are very hot.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I have tons of self esteem issues despite compliments. Heck someone actually went out of their way to call me handsome last week.

I find to just blush and say thank you and not take it further unless they want to talk to you. Guys get so little positive enforcement that it often leads to self destructive behavior on both ends. It takes a lot of reflection in one self to feel good with what you got and use it in a positive manner.

I go out of my way to lay compliments on guys and girls. Compliments are free after all.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
OP I think you have a great point. Does anyone think there might be a chance a forum of this nature might attract more introverted people who tend to have lower self esteem? I don't think that's necessarily the case, but something to ponder.

Some days I think I look good, other days I feel unattractive. I think even the most beautiful people have similar internal struggles.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well I do indeed have very low self-esteem I'm that area and the nasty comments on videos don't help. Thus, I've just accepted it at this point. Nothing much I can do.

ras782

Nov 29, 2017
Thanks for making this thread. I know that I am beautiful and awesome :), still thanks for taking the time to make me 100% certain. You're awesome OP for noticing this trend.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
OP I think you have a great point. Does anyone think there might be a chance a forum of this nature might attract more introverted people who tend to have lower self esteem? I don't think that's necessarily the case, but something to ponder.

Some days I think I look good, other days I feel unattractive. I think even the most beautiful people have similar internal struggles.
I'm certain if you did a poll on here of introvert or extrovert the majority would pick introvert.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the sentiment but I will echo what my straight girlfriend had to say.

Womens nude bodies are beautiful. No one wants a pick of a dick. Even to straight women they are ugly.

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
for reals, though

words have powers, and self deprecation statements if repeated religiously, does seep into our subsconscious (i think)

i.......... have had troubles with accepting compliments (both about my looks and my arts) and i only realized recently that it was part of the thing that hampers my self confidence and .... in the art stuff, potential success (cuz i get too ashamed/self-deprecatory about them so i dont market them cuz I really believed they were doubleplusshitty)

these days, when i receive praises........ i learn to say: THANK YOU! instead :D

That's big talk for a small spider đź‘€

>:C u just wait, mister, imma poke you with these smol stabby spider hands

u gonna be sooooooooooo sorry that u mess with me

>:C

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
So in my last thread I asked people how they would feel about a random stranger getting off to their social media pics. There were all kinds of responses, with a fairly strong divide along gender lines.
Link to that thread.

But beyond that, there was something curious I started noticing as the thread progressed. A LOT of responses from male members were along the lines of self-deprecatory humor. Putting themselves down, calling themselves ugly, questioning the judgment of the person hypothetically getting off to them and so on.

I have posted these self-deprecating responses below. Most of them are from male members, one is from a non-binary member, and a few haven't given their gender on their profile. (Hope you peeps don't mind me quoting you here)

Now I do understand that many of them were perhaps just trying to be funny, but I feel there's more to it than that. I'm male, and I realized that if I wasn't the OP, I probably would've posted a similar self-deprecatory response.

I believe most people who grow up male have really low-self esteem when it comes to their appearance. And I feel this is primarily because no one in their life compliments them on their appearance.

Male friends rarely compliment each other on looks, as homophobia is rampant in the world, and a boy complimenting another boy on appearance feels 'gay' to a lot of men. Women seem to have no such issues with other women.

Fathers rarely compliment their sons on their looks, while girls get called pretty and beautiful and gorgeous all the time by both parents. Same goes for male relatives.

Women rarely compliment men on their looks, as there's a very good chance that the man might take the compliment as flirting and start coming on to you, creating an awkward (and sometimes threatening) situation.

Not only that, but men are trained by society to compliment the appearance of their romantic partners all the time, while women aren't expected or encouraged to do that at all.

All of this brings us to a situation where men have really low confidence in their appearance, and often think of themselves as unattractive or ugly. I feel that this is really damaging to male psychology, reinforces toxic masculinity, and contributes to a host of serious problems (like the inability to love yourself).

Of course, the other side of the coin is that women get showered with either compliments from a young age or negative comments about their looks, and learn to associate their value as a human being primarily with their appearance. That's a HUGE problem as well, but as a male, I don't have the lived experience to talk about that. Feel free to go off about it in the comments.

There's also the whole discussion about our beauty-obsessed society, but I feel that's better discussed another day.

So apart from the discussion, I've made this thread to say ONE THING to all the people I quoted (male, non-binary and undefined) and all the men on Era -

You fuckers are beautiful.

You're gorgeous and lovely, and you should love the way you look. If the society hasn't evolved enough today to tell you that, you tell it to yourself.

And I'll say this to all the Era members of all genders - compliment the men in your life. Compliment your father, your son, your boyfriend, your friend, your brother... Tell them when they look good. Help them learn to love themselves.

Peace out, you beautiful nerdy fucks.
It's odd, because there's a definite cut off on when this when it comes to boys.

Because my 18 month old gets as many "aww he's so cute/handsome" as my eldest who is 3, but I know that won't last.

I mean, both of my children are beautiful and I won't stop telling them that, but yeah, boys other than superficially "great looking" ones are conditioned to put their looks down, rather than appreciate what they have.

Hopefully newer generations will not like this. People need to be happy in themselves no matter who or what they are and have the confidence to own their self image and not put themselves down.

Apart from me, I'm ugly af :p

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And I'll say this to all the Era members of all genders - compliment the men in your life. Compliment your father, your son, your boyfriend, your friend, your brother... Tell them when they look good. Help them learn to love themselves.

Peace out, you beautiful nerdy fucks.
I have complimented my dad, friends, family members. We males really appreciate the compliments and hold onto it like treasure for a rainy day. Be aware of that positive impact and act on it when given the op

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think I'm ugly as fuck. Posted my pic in that rare yourself a while back and not one person said anything about it so that kinda proved my point.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I appreciate the sentiment but I will echo what my straight girlfriend had to say.

Womens nude bodies are beautiful. No one wants a pick of a dick. Even to straight women they are ugly.
You could say the same to a picture of just a vagina. Yet there are people who will compliment dicks and vaginas. It's not all cut and dry.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, interesting thought process I'll give you that. I'd probably take a humor route too, but that just me in general. Interestingly I can happily discuss with my wife when I think a guy is quite handsome, even a friend, but I'm not bi in anyway way either. I can comfortably tell a gay man he is good looking and I've been told the same by gay men and it never made me feel uneasy since it doesnt really have to have any element of motive or desire IMO.

But I wouldnt tell a straight guy he is good looking because the straight guy would typically assume theres more to it than a simple statement whereas a gay man is more likely to take the compliment yet know I'm not actually physically attracted to him.

I guess to summarise I feel gay men in general are more comfortable with their sexuality than straight men

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Aw, man. This thread made me tear up while reading through all the positivity and good vibes. So, I wanted to echo the sentiment and say you guys all look great!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
btw this is also why if a woman so much at smiles at you or compliments you every dude assumes she's interested

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
btw this is also why if a woman so much at smiles at you or compliments you every dude assumes she's interested

Seems like a bit of a loop.

Every compliment I get about clothing or whatever is from guys, but it's not a frequent thing. I imagine it's because women don't feel comfortable complimenting guys because we assume they must be interested and that draws negative attention for them. So then women never compliment men (unless they're dating) and as such, men only think they're being complimented because someone's interested?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
No one wants a pick of a dick. Even to straight women they are ugly.

As a bisexual woman, I'd like to say that: penises & vaginas are beautiful, and I definitely love seeing them. As long as consent is involved. I think the last part is what a lot of men are forgetting about when it comes to the topic of dick pics.

Children are creatures that observe, and repeat patterns. If you think you're ugly and express it even through humor, they'll end up thinking they're ugly as well, they'll pick up on that lack of self-esteem and easily reproduce it. Break the pattern now and stop saying you're ugly when you're probably not :D

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah I don't think I'm ugly but I don't think too much about my looks. Every once and a while a lady will call me cute at work and I get mad flustered. There definitely is a lack of complements towards men, I feel that. The only person who gases me up regularly is my little brother. He gets it.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Hmm. Not something I ever think about much, though my value on my looks kind of depends on the day. My face ain't bad, and at 30 I still look like I'm in my early or mid 20's, but I do have other issues with my body as a whole that tends to overshadow everything.

I think I was 17 when I got an actual compliment on my looks that meant anything. Yeah you get the "but you're handsome!" from your parents or whatever, but that's always an eyeroll no matter my age. But this was someone with no stakes in anything who just paid me a compliment because why not. I was like "wait, really?" and didn't know how to take it :P

It's funny though. I missed the original thread, but back in college I do know a guy who at least said he masturbated to one of my pictures. I'm a guy as well. I wasn't really sure how to take it and sort of ignored it, though looking back, I guess I don't really care. I don't talk to that person anymore because he wound up turning into an asshole.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we don't get many compliments, but when we get one, its like "OMG IS THE WORLD ENDING?!" and then its hard to not ride that high and get down to earth again.

But getting cheated will do that tho and make you feel worse than ugly. But well, lessons learn I think?

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I try to be good about complimenting the men in my life if I know they're not going to read anything into my intentions. Almost as a rule, I'll never compliment male strangers. That's just for my safety. I get enough unwarranted attention, catcalling and stalking without them thinking I'm egging it on. But friends and family? Yeah dude all the time.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It probably also comes down to western societies largely focusing on the female form as the beautiful one and general sexualization of women.

That if you admire the male form, then you are ghey. It's the same reaction to the Sam/Frodo thing. Why can't two guys be intimate without it being construed as gay?

So basically it's toxic masculinity.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I've made some massive improvements to the way I see myself ever since I had a body dysmorphic episode as a teen, but I still have some bad habits from then.

Like posting my picture on Era those few times in the hope that people would-
N3PJOmc.gif

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I only think I'm not very good looking is because of my receding hair line and I'm a bit too skinny(People call me "skinny as a stick" often, although I'm not sure if that's saying I look bad or not). Dunno how to fix the first one as I don't really want to shave it off, but I can fix the second, although it isn't easy either.

I also tell people they look good if they call themselves ugly or something, but I don't say anything otherwise to avoid awkwardness, maybe I should change that.

You fuckers are beautiful.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Outside of family, I've never been complimented on my looks, so honestly, I just don't have any opinion how I look. I know at least I'm not a stud or whatever,

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
When I was younger, I didn't have much confidence (as universally pointed out by the OP), but I've learned to appreciate my looks now that I'm well into my 30s. Anymore, my typical response is something along the lines of, "That's kind of you to say; thanks."

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone think there might be a chance a forum of this nature might attract more introverted people who tend to have lower self esteem? I don't think that's necessarily the case, but something to ponder.

That's pretty obvious, bar some exceptions.

Or do you really think I would be wasting my time here if I could instead be partying or out at some bar with friends, girls, at someone else's house, etc.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney

Yeah, introverted people that are mostly somehow over 6ft.
What even is the how tall are you thread.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty obvious, bar some exceptions.

Or do you really think I would be wasting my time here if I could instead be partying or out at some bar with friends, girls, at someone else's house, etc.

Well I'm sure a lot of people here are like me... Looking at a forum when I should actually be working!

I guess you could say I'm being paid to post here

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A week or so ago I went on a date with someone I met on okcupid, she genuninely found me cute and liked my muscles and was perfectly fine with my weight, this isnt the 1st time I have dated or been complemented on my looks, I'm not even a virgin.

But it has been a long while since I felt like this. Someone genuinely being attracted to me. I missed the feeling.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's odd, because there's a definite cut off on when this when it comes to boys.

Because my 18 month old gets as many "aww he's so cute/handsome" as my eldest who is 3, but I know that won't last.

I mean, both of my children are beautiful and I won't stop telling them that, but yeah, boys other than superficially "great looking" ones are conditioned to put their looks down, rather than appreciate what they have.

Hopefully newer generations will not like this. People need to be happy in themselves no matter who or what they are and have the confidence to own their self image and not put themselves down.

My daughter gets compliments all the time about how she's gorgeous

I obviously think she's gorgeous, but now when somebody says she looks like me I get insulted on her behalf.