• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up deciding to get this on switch despite the visual differences. This game just screams portability to me. The in game performance is good too.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this at the twilight hour last night to get those pointless pre-order items.

I'm a huge HM/RF/AC fan, so I'm sure I'll eventually love this one too, but I might not even fire it up until a few more patches come out.

There was an AMA for this game on reddit yesterday. From what I can gather, the console versions will receive a patch within the next few weeks to bring the content in line with the PC version. This includes story missions, the time slider (to adjust how quickly each day passes), and presumably other options like facial hair.

The dev team is also looking at whether or not they can implement grass on the Switch. Which the Switch is obviously capable of, so I hope they don't make up some excuse.

Sounds like plenty of additional optimization fixes are needed too, even after the day one patch.

I felt really dirty buying this last night, because spending $30 on a game the devs clearly haven't finished yet is an ugly practice, but I'm reasonable confident the game will get to where it needs to be in the coming months.

Regardless, still looking forward to reading impressions in the meantime.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this at the twilight hour last night to get those pointless pre-order items.

I'm a huge HM/RF/AC fan, so I'm sure I'll eventually love this one too, but I might not even fire it up until a few more patches come out.

There was an AMA for this game on reddit yesterday. From what I can gather, the console versions will receive a patch within the next few weeks to bring the content in line with the PC version. This includes story missions, the time slider (to adjust how quickly each day passes), and presumably other options like facial hair.

The dev team is also looking at whether or not they can implement grass on the Switch. Which the Switch is obviously capable of, so I hope they don't make up some excuse.

Sounds like plenty of additional optimization fixes are needed too, even after the day one patch.

I felt really dirty buying this last night, because spending $30 on a game the devs clearly haven't finished yet is an ugly practice, but I'm reasonable confident the game will get to where it needs to be in the coming months.

Regardless, still looking forward to reading impressions in the meantime.
Yeah I'm going to wait a few weeks or months or until it's on sale.

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, I pre-ordered for the same reason. Really lame items.

Yeah, the game has this very budget c-list game feel to it. Like the games you get for $20 at Walgreens or something.

At the same time, despite that feel, the content is massive. There's a lot here, and all of it seems very fun to me. I'm going to just forge on ahead and keep playing while hoping those patches come out sometime.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazed they managed to fuck things up even more lol. Stop being cheap fucks with the voice cast already.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get a refund from Nintendo, get little gaming time as it is right now. Will purchase it again if it gets fixed

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could never deal with the art quality in SDV, however fantastic the game seemed to be otherwise. As a big fan of classic HM, SoS, and AC, I think I'll snag this on PC.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Switch version is ROUGH. No voices from what I can tell, hitches everywhere (Especially when breaking down a tree or rock which is inexcusable), looks meh, and the framerate isn't good. Definitely recommend the PC version over it.

Curious how it is on the X1/PS4.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Ended up getting the PS4 version over the Switch (Just looked way to rough). Play mostly at home anyways and if I really wanted an on the go game I still have Stardew and Minecraft on the Switch which never gets old.

Excited to jump into this and Dreams tonight.

Nov 1, 2017
Curious to see PS4 performance as well. It's surprisingly taxing on PC, so I wonder if the developers did some optimizations for console, or if this is the case of another Unity game that runs like poop on consoles.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
I didn't know this was dropping today, just saw Nintendo's tweet. Awesome! I've been waiting for this game. Definitely gonna pass the time till Maker 2.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
I'm running what appears to be the most recent patch as it says no updates are available when I manually check. After creating my character and looking through the menus, the game crashed on me 😑

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Switch version is ROUGH. No voices from what I can tell, hitches everywhere (Especially when breaking down a tree or rock which is inexcusable), looks meh, and the framerate isn't good. Definitely recommend the PC version over it.

Curious how it is on the X1/PS4.

I got the game as a gift for my partner on Switch and im feeling duped - I wish I could get a refund. It really feels like they just shouldn't have bothered releasing. The game has so many issues - framerate, load times, terrible UI clarity, and awful sound - where are my sound effects, and why does the music feel like it was recorded through a wall?

:( I should have picked up FFX for her instead.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Damn.. I should've done my research before buying this. Literally ordered the Switch version a few hours ago for my girlfriend (her birthday is this friday). It's a perfect game for her but I don't want her to play a complete mess of a game either. I guess I'll tell her it's a bit messy now and that hopefully they'll patch most of it eventually.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish I checked to see if the patch actually lowered the load times on the switch like they claimed it did. It doesn't. Pretty sure this game has the worst load times I've seen in a long time. Especially on the switch.

Also is it me, or does the switch version look super bright and washed out?

Oct 27, 2017
Got further in. This game is fantastic — catnip for people who like Stardew/Harvest Moon stuff. Really really good.

I really hope they patch the shit out of it, though. Eagerly awaiting that. Worried it's going to crash on me at pretty much all times.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
Woof, this is not great on the Switch (docked). Character creation is a bit janky (does changing eye color even do anything? It's super subtle) and seeing what you're selecting to change is pretty unclear. They need a little hand cursor or something. The lack of voice acting is pretty jarring.

Haven't explored too much but there is a bit of loading to even start the game post-patch.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Damn.. I'm bummed. My wife just 100% Yoshi and I was going to surprise her with this but from this thread it seems the game is HUGE disaster on Switch?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I decided to get Yonder on Switch instead of this, well it was actually my daughter who thought Yonder looked "nicer". I can get this later if they fix it.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm tempted by the Switch version but seems like these guys are up to their old tricks. They abandoned Planet Explorer in a poor state to kickstart this game. And now this seems like the Switch version is a mess too.

Not getting my money until that gets in order. Could always buy on Steam but I rather play this sort of game on the couch while watching TV.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Got it on Switch, and even if I must admit that things are a bit rough, the game still play very well all things considered!
In portable mode, the text is a bit small and the lack of voice or even sounds when people talk is weird.
But the content and gameplay is really nice! Having this game in portable is truly worth it.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
This game is great on Switch! Only issue is the initial load into the game takes long but after that it's quick. Massive improvement from the pre patch state as the transition from indoors to outdoors took a long time, now it's just a few seconds. The other issue is the missing grass. However all told the gameplay is great, and it's relatively smooth.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
This looks like a solid $9.99 eShop purchase to me. I'll wait till it drops and they fix all the issues.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Here's a recent review that gives a nice overview and covers both strengths & weaknesses.

Presenters are slightly cringe (not in a bad way...'A' for effort), but I think it might they're just targeting a younger demographic or something.

Worth a watch to get a sense of what you can expect.

That thumbnail puts me off watching or going near that. Dear god i hate when i see this shit on youtube.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm tempted by the Switch version but seems like these guys are up to their old tricks. They abandoned Planet Explorer in a poor state to kickstart this game. And now this seems like the Switch version is a mess too.

Not getting my money until that gets in order. Could always buy on Steam but I rather play this sort of game on the couch while watching TV.
Oh this is the planet explorer devs? Yeah stay well away people, that game was left in an atrocious state despite claims it was "done" when it very clearly is not.

This sucks, I was so keen but I think I will just rebuy Yonder on Switch. I've got it on PC but supporting my Aussie brethren is way better.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Yonder is incredibly limited compared to My Time at Portia. It looks much much better though, that's for sure.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Limited or no sound fx on ps4. No birthday or beard options. Time goes to quickly.

Overall rather disappointed. Any eta on a patch?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Limited or no sound fx on ps4. No birthday or beard options. Time goes to quickly.

Overall rather disappointed. Any eta on a patch?

There was A Patch released today(?), but I'm not sure what it did. It didn't seem to add any new options, there's still an uncomfortable amount of stuttering, and the start up load time (the initial load screen + the credits/auto save message + the load screen before the title) is like a full minute. Also I can't find any documentation for it so that's fun. Edit: Their twitter says it improves load times, but that start up loading sequence is still long as hell

I admit I'm not really very tech savvy and I don't know anything about the actual technical challenges of game development, but I admit I'm a little baffled that a game that ... looks like this... has such lengthy load times.

Too bad. PC it is then.

h o n e s t l y pc is probs an all around better fit for this game, because I kind of get the sense that a lot of the interface weirdness on PS4 work better with a mouse.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
There was A Patch released today(?), but I'm not sure what it did. It didn't seem to add any new options, there's still an uncomfortable amount of stuttering, and the start up load time (the initial load screen + the credits/auto save message + the load screen before the title) is like a full minute. Also I can't find any documentation for it so that's fun. Edit: Their twitter says it improves load times, but that start up loading sequence is still long as hell

I admit I'm not really very tech savvy and I don't know anything about the actual technical challenges of game development, but I admit I'm a little baffled that a game that ... looks like this... has such lengthy load times.

h o n e s t l y pc is probs an all around better fit for this game, because I kind of get the sense that a lot of the interface weirdness on PS4 work better with a mouse.

Well all I can say is, the fact that they patched this quickly hopefully means they will patch other stuff quickly.

Although if it hasn't fixed anything then I don't think that's encouraging

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
It may have reduced the load times when going in and out of buildings, but it didn't seem like a particularly noticeable difference to me (though maybe it's more noticeable for other people)

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Damn.. I'm bummed. My wife just 100% Yoshi and I was going to surprise her with this but from this thread it seems the game is HUGE disaster on Switch?

For what it's worth my wife went from Stardew Valley to most of the way through Yoshi to this and she hasn't complained at all about the game to me yet and she is playing the Switch version. In fact, she's logged 15+ hours since it came out.

So your mileage may vary.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They never finished the voice acting thanks to being scummy and not 0aying the voice actors and actresses on the PC version.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
Bought it on Switch and have played a couple hours in handheld. It's definitely rough, but I haven't found it to be unplayable. In fact, I think it's almost weird that people will mention Yonder in the same breath and make the assertion that Yonder is somehow significantly more competent when, as much as I really like Yonder, it plays rough on Switch in very similar ways.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in this, but I think I'll go with the PC version. Waiting for some sort of sale first though. Switch version looks a little rough around the edges, even though the portability is appealing.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
So is this game good on PC or?

I have put many hours into it. It's very good, especially for 20 bucks, but it's still constantly being updated with QoL features ranging from NPCs being voiced to player character customization options (my brown character still had a light redhead complexion character portrait since that's the default look, for example). If you like Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley you should feel right at home.

I have not played since January and there was a big patch recently so a lot of things may have changed since I played, looking to get back into it soon til Shadowbringers comes out.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Despite a few minor performance issues, the game still runs fine for me on Switch. I'm loving it and can't stop playing. This game is more amazing than I ever had hoped for. It's kinda like BotW and HM combined.

Can anybody report on the PS4 performance?
As of right now it runs slightly better than the Switch version, but both have frequently short freeze ups.

Nov 1, 2017

The game does have an EXTREMELY large map. I'm guessing the devs are just loading everything up at once instead of streaming what they need.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh this is the planet explorer devs? Yeah stay well away people, that game was left in an atrocious state despite claims it was "done" when it very clearly is not.

This sucks, I was so keen but I think I will just rebuy Yonder on Switch. I've got it on PC but supporting my Aussie brethren is way better.
Related to what you're saying, is this the only yonder switch thread we have? https://www.resetera.com/threads/yonder-the-cloud-catcher-chronicles-announced-for-switch.29340/

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I was so excited for this game. It feels like I've been waiting forever for it on consoles. But I think I'll wait to see if they ever actually finish the game on PS4. It doesn't sound like it ever really exited early access after all. They couldn't be bothered to pay their voice actors and now I'm doubtful that they'll even keep the PS4 version up to date with all of the updates that the PC version is getting.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll still wait and see how patching goes before grabbing on PC. I just have way more time simply picking up my Switch and playing than I do sitting down to play on PC so would rather it in that form.

Unity is really struggling with Switch performance lately. I don't know what it is, but they have to sort their shit out as way too many indie devs will start switching to Unreal if they can get their heads around the initial dev toolkit. Say what you will about Epic themselves or even Fortnite, but boy is the Unreal engine pacing out others when it comes to Switch performance handling.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have put many hours into it. It's very good, especially for 20 bucks, but it's still constantly being updated with QoL features ranging from NPCs being voiced to player character customization options (my brown character still had a light redhead complexion character portrait since that's the default look, for example). If you like Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley you should feel right at home.

I have not played since January and there was a big patch recently so a lot of things may have changed since I played, looking to get back into it soon til Shadowbringers comes out.
Neat, yah I'm a huge HM fan. I will likely give it a shot :)

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Wow oh boy do i regret buying this on switch. Thought hey this is the exact kind of game I love on this platform!

Bad port.

It legitimately feels unfinished. And reading this thread, i guess it is...

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm playing this on Xbox and have played a little bit on the Switch(bought the Switch version for my wife as she is looking for a SV replacement) and I'm loving it.

Yeah the Switch doesn't perform as well as the xbox but I wouldn't say it's unplayable at all.

It does feel more like an early access game but so far I feel like I've got a lot of value out of it for the price.