• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Updated with new case

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Normally I never get bothered with this stuff, but my card reaches 75-83 Celsius always with every game I play in 4K. And the fans are really loud.

I bought the X4 INNO 3D 3090 with zero research because it was the only one available. There is surprising little information about sound and heat to be found from this specific card, hence the thread.

Basically I just want to know from people with this or other models, is that normal?

Idle temp and sound is good, it's just on heavy 4K games like Valhalla etc.

Edit: found out that my case has terrible airflow and is basically an oven for gpu's. New case coming ! Thanks guys.

Update page 2

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Well, we need more info. What case do you have? Does it have a mesh front for airflow or is it a shitty one? How many fans and where? etc

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, 79-80ish degrees on a card that's maxed out is not exaclty unheard of or unsafe in most cases. Some high end cards run hot in general too.

If it's constantly at 83 though I'd start to be worried.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
How is your airflow looking? My 3080 finally made me get a case with proper airflow and it reduced GPU temps by almost 10c while allowing me to set a quieter fan curve.

liljoka

Feb 25, 2020
Inno3D - kind of tells you why. With all the research I have done through many gens and personal purchases, Gigabyte and MSI cards have the best engineering, from fan profiles, fan acoustics, heat sink design and overclocking. Inno3D being bottom end.

3xxx cards seem to run hotter, into the 70s again. It's even more important to do proper research on this.

My RTX 2070S hits a peak of 65c, and is whisper silent. It's a Gigabyte model, and I spent many hours to choose this SKU.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
3080 and 3090 are very power hungry cards, with improper cooling they will hit 80C easily. 75-83 is fine unless the card is temperature limited at 83 meaning that it will throttle down the clocks considerably. Besides swapping the card for a different model you can improve the case cooling - but first check the temperatures with an open case; if it's some 2C lower then there's nothing to improve - or change the cooler on the card but this likely means going with a water block solution.

My 3080 Strix OC is around 75C under full load with fairly audible fans and 78C with a quiet BIOS with almost no fan noise. So 75-80 is fine for GA102 cards.

OP
OP
Raiden

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Inno3D - kind of tells you why. With all the research I have done through many gens and personal purchases, Gigabyte and MSI cards have the best engineering, from fan profiles, fan acoustics, heat sink design and overclocking. Inno3D being bottom end.

3xxx cards seem to run hotter, into the 70s again. It's even more important to do proper research on this.

My RTX 2070S hits a peak of 65c, and is whisper silent. It's a Gigabyte model, and I spent many hours to choose this SKU.
My previous card was a Gigabyte 2080S. It was pretty much silent as well.. My first order was Gigabyte again but I was waiting for weeks and then caved and bought the first 3090 available..

Goddamn, is Inno3D that much worse? I read good stuff as well.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's a Sharkoon, only two fans, one at bottom and one on the back. Hmm, I have a next 510 as well, maybe I should swap cases?
Yeah you should get a new case with a front mesh.

I have the Cooler Master H500 and it's amazing. The front 200mm fans get cool air into the case so fast that the inside of the PC doesn't even get enough time to heat up lol. Adding a second exhaust fan on top made temps even better but it's not necessary.

Airflow is the most important feature of a case and yours has none...

bic

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, 79-80ish degrees on a card that's maxed out is not exaclty unheard of or unsafe in most cases. Some high end cards run hot in general too.

If it's constantly at 83 though I'd start to be worried.
That's kind of the way I'm leaning. Under full load those temps don't sound too bad.

You could try undervolting your card if the fan noise bothers you, but then you might see reduced performance at 4k.

OP
OP
Raiden

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Wow that case looks.. rough. Does it not have any intake holes on the front? Yeah H510 will probably do better with it, but that case isn't so great either.
Anything that comes to mind that is silent with good airflow? Either I'm selling this card or buy a new case, I prefer to buy a new case.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Anything that comes to mind that is silent with good airflow? Either I'm selling this card or buy a new case, I prefer to buy a new case.
Cooler Master H500 as I said in my previous post. The 200mm front fans are dead silent while moving TONS of air because, well, they're 200mm. The don't need to rotate fast in order to move lots of air.

There are many variations (H500P, H500M...) Mine is H500, no extra letter. Make sure the one you get has the front mesh.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
My stock MSI 3090 Ventus OC hit that easily, got it hooked up to an Alphacool waterblock now and it never goes over 42. Stock coolers are garbage.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Nov 2, 2017
You should undervolt. Target a clock speed you want and then push down voltages until it's unstable and then up the voltage a bit. You can easily drop temperatures by 5-10 °C (or get much lower fan speed) depending on your chip and what clocks you want.

That's kind of the way I'm leaning. Under full load those temps don't sound too bad.

You could try undervolting your card if the fan noise bothers you, but then you might see reduced performance at 4k.
You can undervolt and OC at the same time to gain performance. It's what I do. You'll hit higher clocks with reduced power draw/heat. I think it's better than chasing max OC or max undervolt. I have my 3060Ti at 1980 mhz with 925 mV atm.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
83C is the default max temperature target for a 3090, so if you are hitting that temperature it probably means your card is thermally throttling. You won't damage the card, but performance will be worse. You can increase the max temperature target up to 91C on a reference card.

With the default, you want to target something like 75C-80C under full load to leave yourself a little bit of headroom for transient variations. It is pretty pointless to go lower than that for normal use. Cards that max out at 65C on air are using too aggressive of a fan curve, because you get negligible benefit from running that cool.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
btw op Raiden if you want more recomendations on cases with good airflow check out this video from tech jesus:

Good airflow = good case. Bad airflow = bad case. You should look for the cases with best airflow, and check out which one of these you like the most in terms of looks or other features.

Here is a review of the Cooler Master H500, which I heavily recomend:

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Speaking of airflow, would this case cause problems? https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desi...08146VT7V/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Not that i could do much about it now since all that's missing for the pre-built is the 5900x.
Well yeah, that's a horrible case. Both the front and the top are completely solid, where do you expect to draw air in from? That's an oven, not a case.

Can't you return it? Amazon will usually accept returns outside of the usual return window if you contact them. Just tell them that your hardware doesn't fit in it or whatever. They'll create a return ticket for you. At least Amazon Spain does without fail.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, that's a horrible case. Both the front and the top are completely solid, where do you expect to draw air in from? That's an oven, not a case.

Can't you return it? Amazon will usually accept returns outside of the usual return window if you contact them. Just tell them that your hardware doesn't fit in it or whatever. They'll create a return ticket for you. At least Amazon Spain does without fail.
It's not completely solid, it has holes on the sides and bottom. Most reviews actually says it has good airflow, so i'm confused.

Can't really return it as it's part of a prebuilt PC, so that would mean i'd need to order a new one and be put at the back of the queue for GPU (3080 TUF OC) and CPU.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's not completely solid, it has holes on the sides and bottom. Most reviews actually says it has good airflow, so i'm confused.

Can't really return it as it's part of a prebuilt PC, so that would mean i'd need to order a new one and be put at the back of the queue for GPU (3080 TUF OC) and CPU.
Well, usually these holes aren't enough to draw fresh air in. But actually now that you mention it, them seem bigger than they usually are in most cases. So maybe it's enough.

I don't have time to watch it right now but I've seen that GN made a review on it:

They are very trustworthy in general so I would go with whatever they say on the matter.

Oct 27, 2017

The previous poster is really bad, evaluating the case from the glance.

The top of the case has two swap-able panels: one solid, one super airflow. You would have the airflow one, perfect for radiators.

Fractal doesn't make bad cases. And the airflow of the case is much more depended on your fans than the actual holes/design. Any case can be carried with Noctua or other high quality airflow fans. This is a premium case, balancing good airflow, visual design and the build quality.

The argument against this case would be price and the Liquid-cooling size. It is a long case, and if you don't use that space for pumps/reservours, then it becomes bulky and half-empty inside. I don't do custom liquid cooling, so I would never purchase a case this big. I would aim for the one which has less room between motherboard tray and the front fans.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
You should undervolt. Target a clock speed you want and then push down voltages until it's unstable and then up the voltage a bit. You can easily drop temperatures by 5-10 °C (or get much lower fan speed) depending on your chip and what clocks you want.

You can undervolt and OC at the same time to gain performance. It's what I do. You'll hit higher clocks with reduced power draw/heat. I think it's better than chasing max OC or max undervolt. I have my 3060Ti at 1980 mhz with 925 mV atm.

Absolutely! I have done this on the 3090 FTW3 and couldn't be more satisfied. Running similar settings and rarely go above 68 degrees and also save around 100w power averaging 330-360 depending the game. I also noticed that just switching to 4k vs 1440p augments the watts by sometimes over 100 therefore creating more heat.

I just play most games on 1440p maxed out at 120hz on my CX 48" which to be honest don't look much better in 4k especially at 3 1/2 feet.

Perfect imo.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Well, usually these holes aren't enough to draw fresh air in. But actually now that you mention it, them seem bigger than they usually are in most cases. So maybe it's enough.

I don't have time to watch it right now but I've seen that GN made a review on it:

They are very trustworthy in general so I would go with whatever they say on the matter.

I think i linked the wrong one actually, it's the Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal. Looks practically identical though.

EDIT: This one https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desi...sign+define+s2+gunmetal&qid=1608996206&sr=8-1

OP
OP
Raiden

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
btw op Raiden if you want more recomendations on cases with good airflow check out this video from tech jesus:

Good airflow = good case. Bad airflow = bad case. You should look for the cases with best airflow, and check out which one of these you like the most in terms of looks or other features.

Here is a review of the Cooler Master H500, which I heavily recomend:

I think i already found my new case! I also like the way it looks. Thanks for this!

And everyone else with their replies!

In hindsight I should have known in what case I am putting such a pricey card in. Pretty careless of me.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I think i already found my new case! I also like the way it looks. Thanks for this!

And everyone else with their replies!

In hindsight I should have known in what case I am putting such a pricey card in. Pretty careless of me.
Nice! To be 100% specific, there are 2 versions of the H500. H500 RGB and H500 ARGB. The only difference between these two is that, well, one has normal RGB and the other has adressable RGB. You may or may not care about that. Other than that they are identical. Oh, and it includes an optional glass panel in the box. You can replace the mesh panel with it. But, uh, please don't, lol.

I hope you enjoy it! make sure to post some pictures and temperature results!

Here's how my build is looking in it (the top fan is temporary and I'm waiting for a proper one to arrive lol).

2EaOUDQ.jpg

p70COn3.jpg

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No issues with my 3090 suprim x. Fully loaded I get up to about 75-78 Celsius

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they have a review on it too :P

Ok, so not terrible but definitely not top of the line airflow wise.

Won't be doing any OC though and the CPU is watercooled (Cooler Master ML240L V2), so i would assume they open up the top of the case for the radiator when they build it.

OP
OP
Raiden

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Nice! To be 100% specific, there are 2 versions of the H500. H500 RGB and H500 ARGB. The only difference between these two is that, well, one has normal RGB and the other has adressable RGB. You may or may not care about that. Other than that they are identical. Oh, and it includes an optional glass panel in the box. You can replace the mesh panel with it. But, uh, please don't, lol.

I hope you enjoy it! make sure to post some pictures and temperature results!

Here's how my build is looking in it (the top fan is temporary and I'm waiting for a proper one to arrive lol).

2EaOUDQ.jpg

p70COn3.jpg
Ooh i like it! Yes, i found the one with RGB lighting on the site i order most from for 115 EUR which is not bad at all i think. I also like the front part with the powerbutton and usb slots :)

I'll update for those who are interested when i have my new case. Right now im going to look how my temps are without the glass side panel like one poster mentioned. Maybe that will make a slight difference in the meantime.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Are those temps consistent across multiple titles?

Gears 5 makes my GPU (EVGA 3080) run hot for some reason, and it stays around 83 pretty much constantly when playing that one. But other games, even Cyberpunk, stay around 76.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
My 1080 is still working after four years pretty much maxed at 82°. Don't worry too much.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Ooh i like it! Yes, i found the one with RGB lighting on the site i order most from for 115 EUR which is not bad at all i think. I also like the front part with the powerbutton and usb slots :)

I'll update for those who are interested when i have my new case. Right now im going to look how my temps are without the glass side panel like one poster mentioned. Maybe that will make a slight difference in the meantime.
Awesome! If you can, consider taking one of the fans in your current case and putting it on top of the H500 when it arrives, where my red fan is, as an extra exhaust. That makes the temps even better (not by much, but still).

This is assuming your CPU is air cooled. If it's water cooled, try to mount the radiator on top first, and see if it fits. If it doesn't, then front mount it and add the extra exhaust if you can!

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My 3090 rox strix oc isn't hot, but it is loud. My 2080ti strix oc wasn't loud at all but was hotter than my 3090. on the 3090 my temps are 69-70.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Well, usually these holes aren't enough to draw fresh air in.
They are fine. Air isn't something which is stopped by the size of the holes, you know.
Define cases are good if you populate all the fan mounts they have - and they come with some of them empty by default.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
They are fine. Air isn't something which is stopped by the size of the holes, you know.
Define cases are good if you populate all the fan mounts they have - and they come with some of them empty by default.
The issue is not the size of the holes, it's the lack of space between the fans and the "wall" of the case. If there's not enough space in front of the fans, they have trouble drawing fresh air in. Static pressure and all that.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Basically I just want to know from people with this or other models, is that normal?

Obviously this is just a single data point, but on my dev machine with a 3090 from Dell, completely maxed out I think I top out around 69c. But, I'm in a very cold room in general so that's likely playing a part here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is not the size of the holes, it's the lack of space between the fans and the "wall" of the case. If there's not enough space in front of the fans, they have trouble drawing fresh air in. Static pressure and all that.
Only if there is no way of pulling the air into the fans - which there is, so it's not an issue.
Define cases aren't the best for airflow but no sound dampened cases are and that's a price of silent operation.
I have an old Define XL and it's fine from thermal pov. Running it fully open gives me -2C at best.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
You might want to undervolt a bit OP, if thermals and noise are not what you like.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Gamers Nexus is useful for discussion build quality issues, but I would take the rest of their reviews with a grain of salt. I find the problem with GN is that they seem to be very narrow-minded about how people use computers. Like the only thing they think people use their PCs for is to run Blender or Furmark with a 35 dBA noise target.

They preach about mesh-fronted cases being quieter in every single review, but there are a lot of situations where that is bad advice. For instance, when you install mechanical hard drives having a front panel with noise dampening material makes a big difference. You would think something like this might come up when reviewing the Define 7 - a case whose most unique feature is that it can take up to fourteen 3.5" drives - but no, it's just the usual complaining about the case not having a mesh front.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I think this GamersNexus rundown of 2020 cases is pretty good https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3630-best-worst-pc-cases-2020
Check it against your local availability, but I think cases like Phanteks P500 should be generally available and pretty good option.
My only concern with these cases would be that airflow-optimized designs seem to completely forego any filtration.
I know that it will obviously affect the airflow/temperatures to some extent, but it was really nice to be able to pull a four year old GTX 1070 out of the case (a Fractal R5) to sell it, and have it looking brand new rather than covered in dust.
It should also be noted that any case with a window is going to be louder than one with a solid and dampened side panel.
But I realize that these are not the same priorities that everyone else may have, and I'm not running ≥400W GPUs.

This is why I put a pair of Noctua Industrial fans in the front of mine. They have no problem drawing in air, and in the case of the Fractal R5, doing a great job cooling HDDs - which was one of my priorities. Few cases handle that well.

OP
OP
Raiden

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Well, I just had a session with the side panel removed and my temp was around 70c and considerably less noise. A decent case will probably fix all my problems!

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Well, I just had a session with the side panel removed and my temp was around 70c and considerably less noise. A decent case will probably fix all my problems!
Yeah that 100% proves it. Having good airflow is crucial for having good temps, and a front mesh with big ass fans drawing lots of fresh air in is the optimal way to do airflow. Glad you found your answer!