• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pad is too thick compared to the PS4 pad and I gotta say my hand hurts after 30 min of Nioh 2, although it might have gotten a bit better by the ed. Did you have the same experience? Did your hand get used to it after a while?

I can't play with the conventional grip. Running on a face button while not being able to control the cam is just weird. Do you guys just bump from wall to wall until you're at your destination?

Last edited:

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's your hand adjusting to the bigger size and heavier weight. Muscle memory is a hell of a thing.

You'd get the same thing moving up to a bigger phone (i.e. iphone 7 to iphone 12).

give it a week or two and you'll be used to it.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I had a similar experience when the xbox elite controller came out, had to get used to resting my fingers on the back paddles instead of gripping it like I was used to. Caused some aches and pains in my hands but after a few days of playing I got used to it. I bet it will be similar with getting used to the DualSense.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
I was having a discomfort in my left palm. It wasn't hand cramp. Felt like when I used to do weights without wearing gloves, so kinda like friction related.

No other controller made me feel like that. Had a thought it could be the textured grips. Got some fine grain sand paper and filed the textured pattern off. The controller instantly felt a million times more comfortable to hold and I haven't had any discomfort since.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I don't find it all that comfortable surprisingly either. Something about the angle and shape of the handles and maybe the grip texture.

At this point in the evolution of controllers, most people should be able to pick up and use a controller effortlessly without putting much thought into how they are holding it, and it should be comfortable. If not and users have to put extra effort onto holding it a certain way, that's arguably poor ergonomic design and/or a lack of testing.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
At this point in the evolution of controllers, most people should be able to pick up and use a controller effortlessly without putting much thought into how they are holding it, and it should be comfortable. If not and users have to put extra effort onto holding it a certain way, that's arguably poor ergonomic design and/or a lack of testing.

I think most people can.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I felt the same but I'm used to it now and it's fine. Switch Pro Controller is the most comfortable controller for me. Dualsense is fine tho, it's decent.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
No cramps, but my hands do get sweatier than they did with my Xbox Elite Controller. That might just be due to lack of load screens to give my hands a break though lol. Same goes for you in fact!

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
My hands were in active pain for the first few days I was using it but I adjusted. Admittedly, I'd still rather use any other controller besides the Dualsense. It's just too big for my hands 😕

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Been using it for 4 straight hours now and I do notice my hands cramping a bit and getting sweaty. Hope I'll adjust after using it more but to me the DualShock 4 was perfectly balanced.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
That's your hand adjusting to the bigger size and heavier weight. Muscle memory is a hell of a thing.

You'd get the same thing moving up to a bigger phone (i.e. iphone 7 to iphone 12).

give it a week or two and you'll be used to it.
most of the time ye, but I had logitech g713 and it started hurting my hand, to be expected with new shape mouse I thought and kept on using, but after like a month I had to give up because it was literally killing me. So some shapes just dont work for some. This was after trying the thing out in the store and thinking the shape feels great to the hand lol.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
Yeah, I really really hope they make an elite controller for it because I can't stand using face buttons on a controller anymore. I only using regular buttons when I absolutely have to on a PS exclusive, and it does hamper my enjoyment.
Claw grip is really not something you should be doing to yourself regardless.
If they don't put paddles on all controllers, then claw grip is needed to have access to all buttons. As they say, there are levels to this.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I enjoy it being a bigger, heavier controller. If anything, the bigger controller makes my hands cramp less. It would be nice if they offered multiple sizes, though I understand the impracticality of it. Hopefully 3rd parties will provide smaller controllers for you OP. (If you feel a need to claw grip, that's your call but no game should require this of you.)

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5bedb3kn7ko7.jpg

An unholy abomination.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
people, who dont get why one would claw: How else do you move whilst juggling your items that are on the dpad?
if you dont do it you are at considerable disadvantage

Joker22Hero

Nov 3, 2020
people, who dont get why one would claw: How else do you move whilst juggling your items that are on the dpad?
if you dont do it you are at considerable disadvantage
Well I never play games where any "considerable disadvantage" would matter (and If any game requested something like this it would leave it's place on the ssd almost as quickly as miles loads)

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Well I never play games where any "considerable disadvantage" would matter (and If any game requested something like this it would leave it's place on the ssd almost as quickly as miles loads)
so in a game like nioh how would you suggest you'd use your items then? pause the game or slow the game down so you can stand still doing nothing so you can cycle through your items?

Nov 20, 2019
I had the same feeling initially, but it's all good now.
The pad is too thick compared to the PS4 pad and I gotta say my hand hurts now after 30 min of Nioh 2, although perhaps it got better towards the end. Did you have the same experience. Does your hand get used to it after a while?

I can't play with the conventional grip. Running on a face button while not being able to control the cam is just weird. Do you guys just bump from wall to wall until you're at your destination?
My hands adjusted to the bigger size of the controller. At first I hated the design but it's comfortable enough for gameplay. I wouldn't mind Sony releasing a DualSense variant that's DS4 size in the future.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
I was having a discomfort in my left palm. It wasn't hand cramp. Felt like when I used to do weights without wearing gloves, so kinda like friction related.

No other controller made me feel like that. Had a thought it could be the textured grips. Got some fine grain sand paper and filed the textured pattern off. The controller instantly felt a million times more comfortable to hold and I haven't had any discomfort since.
This is exactly how it is for me. Interesting, I might do the sandpaper method if it doesn't get better

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I may have misread as I thought the OP was cramping holding it normally and had to go to claw grip to remedy the issue. However, I still stand by my comment that if you're holding a controller normally and have to consciously monitor how you're holding it, that's a design problem.

I think what makes the Dualsense less comfortable for me and possibly less well ergonomically designed than say the DS4 or Xbox controllers is that the handles are more tapered without the more bulbous shape on the grip ends. So you have less freedom to let the handle bulge rest in yoir palm and have to keep a better grip around them for leverage, so you can't let your wrists angle out if that's more comfortable for you. It's reminiscent of the Dreamcast controllers that had that issue, but less severe.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, getting slight cramping even when holding normal. Hands will get used to it and I think in my case, it's due to the resistance from the triggers.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i just switch grips if i need to, since it's really rare for me to feel the need to actually do that. it's never once actually helped me in a souls game though, it's more just kind of fun sometimes.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played Nioh but can you just remap run to one of the shoulder buttons?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
"My right hand cramps when I hold my hand without any regard to ergonomics... "

You don't say? Lmao.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
My hands start to ache pretty quickly as well with the dual sense. Turning off the trigger motors seems to have helped (I've been playing Miles Morales).

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Please just get out of this thread

I didn't shit post you by calling into question holding the controller in a way that is clearly not intended and that causing discomfort.

If you want to solve your problem invest in a controller with paddles so you can hold it as intended and hit buttons while managing the right stick. Geez.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
The controller wasn't designed to be held that way so I can definitely see it being uncomfortable.

Last edited:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It makes sense that when you use a thing in a way it wasn't intended to be used you might experience less than ideal results.