• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Thanksfully most of the good stuff have been said. Still man, hopefully she doesn't return back and if you start to feel you have depression for more than 3 months, definitely go to a psychiatrist and ask for help. Breakups can lead to depression and that is not a good thing.

Still I hope for the best for you and stay strong!

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Make the power move and get out of the relationship. Then you can feel some dignity about it. There's part of you that wants to hold out hope, that wants to give this person chance after chance while you're emotionally trounced and she's disrespecting you and intending to move on anyway. Get out of there, savor the dignity and pride you do have, and move forward knowing you made the right choice, because hitting rock bottom and being tossed away like a tissue is going to make recovery that much worse.

You will exit the relationship and feel misery, but know that there is a day in the future where you not only figure this out, but you feel great and satisfied. That WILL happen. People who are depressed don't think they will ever feel happy again, but they will. You will absolutely move on and eventually look back, thinking, 'well, i was emotionally invested in that person, but it wasn't a healthy relationship, and I'm glad I was able to get out without even more emotional sacrifice and destruction.'

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Fight for the cats OP. From the sounds of it they'd be better off with you than her.

Also as much as you want to please keep in mind that there is no coming back from the situation you described. It's done.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
You know what is funny? we play games and watch movies, etc. in order to have a good time and distract us from the heavy stuff. Then when something bad really happens, it seems like our hobbies dont really help us at all lol. To paraphrase that famous misquote, "videogames were a mistake",

OP, this is the best time to do a naked run on Dark Souls!
This guy knows what's up OP.

I'm sorry to hear about what's going on, but I have been through this before as well. I took the time to discover new music, write, and most of all forged stronger friendships from it. Oddly enough, in recent years (could be my age), Dark Souls became an odd yet pleasing coping mechanism for me.

I also want to thank the beautiful people in this thread for being outrageously supportive and even giving him a number to call for someone to talk to. These are some of the reasons I love this forum, even though I lurk more than post.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I feel for you, but you need to accept its over. Do not hold on to hope, accept it and make a clean break now. Her "coming to her senses" later is foolhardy and even if she did, how long would that last? The fact is she's had these doubts for a long time and it's finally boiled over. Even if she were to reverse course tomorrow, that doubt would still exist and would almost assuredly return later.

It's over, you'll survive. Time to move on to greener pastures.

Oct 25, 2017
So, if I'm understanding things right, you and your girlfriend remind me very much of the dynamic my friend and his (now ex) wife had: my friend was a sometimes-introvert sometimes-extrovert personality, whereas his wife was an "always on" person who needed all time to be spent with her constantly. Ironically, that wasn't as problematic as the fact that they just couldn't talk about it: they couldn't communicate with each other their needs, and work something out, and by the time they realized they needed to talk it was already a dead relationship. They both had to pack it in and divorce.

For them, this came because they never practiced their communication, and they were also incredibly young, so they had no idea how important it would be long-term to always be communicating about their needs. Of course, this led to her engaging with friends and basically detaching from that relationship, mentally.

It sounds like she checked out and hasn't been good about letting you know until recently. And you, frankly, just never knew. It sucks OP, and I wish you all the best, but you'll probably need to let this one go. Focus on you, and focus on growing your understanding of what your personal needs are in a relationship, who you are, and making sure that the next person you match with understands those things about you, and that you understand those kinds of things about her.

Once again, very sorry but I can promise that over time you'll recover from this. I know that doesn't help how you're feeling now, but there's a reason people *always* say it: it's true.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If I was you, I would take up on your parents offer. If you don't have any family or friends where you are this is going to be rough. You need people around you that care and love you right now. It will make you feel better eventually.

OP
OP
Aranath

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Sorry you're having a rough time OP, I feel your pain; I said goodbye to my cat because he went to my ex. It's really hard, but with more time the relationship with clarify and you'll be able to slow down a little. In the meantime, treat yourself well and keep reaching out for support!

I'm so sorry you lost your cat like that. I really don't know how I'm going to handle losing mine now. I love them so much. Ugh.

I'll certainly try and look after myself. Just realising I ate basically nothing all day, so should probably be a bit more careful tomorrow.

Aranath, tough as this may be right now, your responses here tell me you're gonna be just fine. Very impressed by your maturity and perspective. Can totally understand the cats being the hardest part, but at least career prospects and new opportunities await

And FWIW, I had a partner from another country for a few years. When we visited her home town, she reconnected with a bunch of people and basically shut me out (I couldn't speak the language). It was like this lost piece of her identity had been revived. We broke up not long after that. No idea if this is similar to what your partner has gone through, but it seems it might be.

Thank you so much for the kind words. Definitely doesn't feel like it's going to be fine at the moment, but yeah, I'm sure it will eventually.

What you're describing really feels similar. These are old friends from years ago and she's just changed completely since they reconnected.

I'm sorry to hear your relationship ended like that, though. I empathise completely.

Good, take a look at what you can and do right now, weight your options, don't make hasty decisions. But in your place, I would just fly back to my parents house.

My family seem pretty dead set on getting me back there ASAP so that just might end up being the case. I've been trying to take it slow today in the hope that things could be salvaged but I don't think there's much of a possibility of that after tonight.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much for the kind words. Definitely doesn't feel like it's going to be fine at the moment, but yeah, I'm sure it will eventually.

What you're describing really feels similar. These are old friends from years ago and she's just changed completely since they reconnected.

I'm sorry to hear your relationship ended like that, though. I empathise completely.
Won't surprise you to hear this, but it was hard for a time.... and in retrospect a good thing. But there's no reasoning to get to that point. Like other people have said, it's just time.

All the best to you. Will keep this thread on Watch in case you choose to update us...

OP
OP
Aranath

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Wow, thank you to everyone else that responded as well. It's now after 5 am and I have to be up in less than 2 hours for this coronavirus test so I best try to get some kind of sleep before then. I'll reply to everyone when that's all done.

But thank you all again. This really means so much to me and it's nice being able to talk this stuff through when I've got no one else around me to turn to right now. You're all awesome. Thank you!

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I know this hurts right now. It will hurt for a while. Then one day (and you won't know what day that will be, but trust me, it will come) you'll wake up, look at yourself in the mirror and feel that the weight of the world is no longer on your back. You'll feel pretty fucking great and you'll smile and remember the good things without feeling sad. And that day you'll know you are over her.

Trust me, I know because I went exactly through the same thing that you are going through. Dark days are coming, my friend. Some days the pain will feel unbereable. Other days you'll feel numb. Treat everyday right now individually. Get busy! Try not to stay home (difficult to do during a pandemic, I know) and most importantly look for your true friends and family and lean on their support.

P. S. If you feel like crying, cry. It's the best soul cleaner. You'll find that you feel better after you do. Good luck!

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna echo the sentiment here that based on your responses here, you're dealing with this maturely. We can definitely tell you're in pain and confused, but sounds like you're staying as calm as you can. And resilient people can cry and be sad, mind!

Not gonna comment about what's happened (mostly cause we only have your side of the story), but I wish you luck in what you choose to do, and hope you recover sooner than later, emotionally and financially.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm so sorry you're going through this, OP. I was in a 14 year relationship, married for 9.5 out of those 14. Ending my marriage was hands down one of the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life thus far. The relationship was on a slow decline for years before I finally found the strength to end it. Usually these things are a long time coming, and our love for the other person blinds us to it.

The point is that relationships are hard, and there will be ups and downs, and I'll tell you something a co-worker who had gone through a divorce heard from his therapist, and passed on to me: In a relationship, there are three lives. Your life, your significant other's life, and the life the two of you share together. If any of those lives fall out of balance, it effects all three. It's up to the two of you to communicate, compromise, and put in equal effort to maintain your happiness.

It won't always be perfect balance, however. Sometimes they'll carry the load, sometimes you will, but ultimately, the two of you are actively pursuing the same goal: Unity. Mutual understanding and respect. It's perfectly fine for her to have a life outside of you, and it's perfectly fine for you to have a life outside of her. In a relationship, your significant other should be a supplement to your happiness, not the sole source, and vice versa.

It sounds to me like she checked out of the relationship long ago, and instead of communicating these feelings with you, and seeing if there was a way to repair that rift, she shut you out. That's not fair, and you didn't deserve that.

It's been two years since me and my wife separated, and I filed for divorce, and it took me about that long to finally truly heal from losing not just my wife, but my best friend and partner. The person I loved more than anyone in this world, and that I couldn't imagine ever being without. However, I also found peace, happiness, and joy within myself during that time. Even though our split was hard, and not an amicable divorce, I hold on to the good times that we had. To the things I learned from being with her, and how there was a time in my life where I never thought I'd find love. I know now that I will again, and I know now that even if I don't, I'm still a whole, complete person all by myself.

I say all this to say that it's going to hurt. I can't say for how long, as it's different for everyone, but I guarantee that things will get better for you. And that you don't have to hurt alone. You may feel isolated because you are far from family and friends, but don't hesitate to reach out. I'm always here to lend an ear when you need to vent, or a shoulder to lean on, as I'm sure others here are. This is an incredibly painful, and sad time for you, but it isn't the end. You tried to communicate and reach out to her to mend things. She wasn't receptive, and that is on her. Her choice, and she has to live with the consequences of that choice. You do as well, but don't let your hurt and disappointment dictate your path forward. Whatever guilt, frustration, self pity you feel, allow it to come, those feelings are natural and valid, but also allow it to flow out of you in time. Trust me, you will get to a better place one day. There are definitely some hard days ahead, I'm not gonna lie, but they will get better. I'm truly wishing you the best, but like I said, don't hesitate to reach out like you have in this thread if you need to talk.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm having a panic attack and can't breathe. I have to be up early tomorrow to get tested for COVID for my job and I can't sleep.

I don't know what to do. We're engaged and were supposed to be married in March but it got cancelled because of the pandemic.

I have no idea where she is. She refuses to come home to talk to me.

This is a the first time I've dealt with a long term relationship ending and I feel like I'm falling apart.

I have no one I can even turn to for support right now because I live in Spain and my family are all in the UK. No real friends for me to dump this stuff on. My family told me to pack and head back to them but the thought of that just makes this all the more real and I start crying and freak out.

I'm also losing my cats now I guess. Outside of my fiancée, they're the most important thing to me but they're in her name and she would never let me take them.

I tried calling 116123 (the number for the Samaritans in the UK and supposed to be an EU emotional support number) for something, support or just an ear because I just can't cope right now but it says the number doesn't exist here in Spain and Skype won't let me call that kind of number.
I am not sure if that's how the ownership law works over there, regarding cats.

In Germany for example abonding your cats and leaving it in the care of someone else to feed over a longer time frame, means ownership transfers to the person who feeds and pays vet bills. It actually greatly differs from country to country.

We'd need to know from a there living cat expert. Weltall Zero ?

Panic attacks suck, take it one step at a time. And even if it makes things "more real" consider moving back. What you need right now is emotional support. :/ Seek medical help. A doctor might be able to refer you To local hotlines/institutions.

Jul 24, 2020
Uh....I dont have any good advice for you now...but next time ...

I'd say never put that much into a relationship. That's my advice.'

And I mean that.

It should be only something you give like 50% of your effort, or 60% or 70% or something. Whether you're a guy or girl. The rest spend it on yourself and others in the community.

I don't mean don't try. But never let a single person get to you like that. Where you become a blubbering mess. If someone wants to leave, it should just be an unfortunate situation. Shitty. But not the end of the world.

You'll be okay OP. I believe in you.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Let it burn OP, she is gone. Cry as much as you need to because this is a step that a lot of people don't want to face. Get around people that care and keep your time occupied. It will come and go and hurt like hell. Start pulling yourself away from the current life that you have, and start prepping for your new life after this.

Oct 25, 2017
If someone wants to leave, it should just be an unfortunate situation.
giphy.webp

May I ask - - are you married or in a long term committed relationship?

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

And I mean that.

It should be only something you give like 50% of your effort, or 60% or 70% or something. Whether you're a guy or girl. The rest spend it on yourself and others in the community.

I don't mean don't try. But never let a single person get to you like that. Where you become a blubbering mess. If someone wants to leave, it should just be an unfortunate situation. Shitty. But not the end of the world.

A healthier way of wording this would simply be avoid heavily codependent relationships all together because the return on investment usually sucks. Why? Because when the other party decides to bail you feel like you're losing part of yourself because of what you put into the relationship. Same if you want out and don't want to leave the other person in pieces.

All these percentages in regards to effort don't really help imo. You can definitely be all in for the right person but both of you should have healthy boundaries and a level of interdependence that doesn't leave one person feeling like they need the relationship. I agree with you, break ups generally shouldn't be super shitty situations but life is unpredictable, people change, people drift apart. It happens. But not loving someone openly isn't the solution to avoiding heartbreak. It just makes you a coward.

Jul 24, 2020
A healthier way of wording this would simply be avoid heavily codependent relationships all together because the return on investment usually sucks. Why? Because when the other party decides to bail you feel like you're losing part of yourself because of what you put into the relationship. Same if you want out and don't want to leave the other person in pieces.

All these percentages in regards to effort don't really help imo. You can definitely be all in for the right person but both of you should have healthy boundaries and a level of interdependence that doesn't leave one person feeling like they need the relationship. I agree with you, break ups generally shouldn't be super shitty situations but life is unpredictable, people change, people drift apart. It happens. But not loving someone openly isn't the solution to avoiding heartbreak. It just makes you a coward.

I wouldn't say its "not loving" that I'm speaking of. Though the definition of love is murky af.

I just think of it as this "She could cheat on me. Or some bad circumstances could occur and she could one day think I'm a loser and leave me for broke. etc. Anything is absolutely possible and very probable statistically".

You can call that love or just caring about someone... but with caution or tremendous awareness. However you want to define it or word it.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I wouldn't say its "not loving" that I'm speaking of. Though the definition of love is murky af.

I just think of it as this "She could cheat on me. Or some bad circumstances could occur and she could one day think I'm a loser and leave me for broke. etc. Anything is absolutely possible and very probable statistically".

You can call that love or just caring about someone... but with caution or tremendous awareness. However you want to define it or word it.

I get that but this just sounds like waiting for the other shoe to drop and not complete investing because of it. I don't think anyone should navigate a relationship that way because it wouldn't be fulfilling...

I do get that though, being aware of what could possibly happen but that's where trust comes in.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope you're ok OP. One thing to bear in mind is that this experience will make you a stronger person. I remember many (many!) years ago when my long term relationship ended; we had just bought a house, were supposed to be getting married etc etc and she broke things off. At the time I was a complete wreck, I could barely function but you come through that even though it feels like you'll never be normal again at the time.

And the person who emerges from the wreckage of that relationship will have a much broader perspective of life and relationships in general, one better able to handle the bad stuff. It's all part of that ole' life experience I suppose.

Eventually you'll come to appreciate her perspective - at least I did. You may never agree with how she ended things (and it sounds like a really immature and shitty way to do it, to cause you infinitely more pain than she needed to) but part of you will on some level understand how hard it must have been for her too at the time.

The old adage is absolutely true: "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". It takes time but you'll be able to look back on the positives of your relationship as you move on with your life, potentially with someone else.

All the best.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Hey man. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I've been there -- a couple times.

This just gets frustrating when such a long relationship is ending over such simple things as spending a bit of time with me and being a bit more responsible around the house, instead of neglecting things (like the cats) because she wants to be with her friends. It's just so stupid.

I wanted to just comment on this feeling you're having. I want you to know that it's easy to think this way, the relationship is over because this and that...

Its ending because she doesn't want to be in the relationship anymore. Those things are symptoms of the bigger problem.

This might sound harsh, but it's good realistic advice that I've taken to heart- is that we can never control someone's feelings. People fall out of love with the most intelligent, responsible, beautiful people on the planet. Its just chemical and can't be explained. Its not because you wanted her around more or you told her to take care of the cats.

In a little while I hope this is almost more comforting to you, that you didn't do anything wrong. You just aren't for each other and that's okay. On to find your soulmate, after you recover and become a stronger version of you 🙂

Oct 27, 2017

And I mean that.

I get what you're saying here, but I think going into a future relationship with the attitude that you shouldn't be too invested or that it might fail at any time will just end up as a self fulfilling prophecy.

I think a side effect of what the OP is going through is that naturally they will be a little more aware in the next relationship they have, potentially in the way you're recommending (once burned, twice shy etc) but I think the trick is to recognise this as a potentially destructive force in a relationship. I think you need to commit to the person 100% if it's going to work - but that doesn't mean becoming overtly dependant upon them.

Jul 24, 2020
I get that but this just sounds like waiting for the other shoe to drop and not complete investing because of it. I don't think anyone should navigate a relationship that way because it wouldn't be fulfilling...

I do get that though, being aware of what could possibly happen but that's where trust comes in.

It's not about investing or not investing fully. You're probably right that I worded it incorrectly (im on hour 20 something of an assignment due right now and very sleep deprived.)

I guess my point is just that it's better to find something else to give you purpose and meaning in your life. And if a girl comes along, and she's cool. Sweet. And if she leaves. Hope she has a good life. So lets also carry on with what is hopefully your good and purposeful life, and someone will probably (and more likely now if anything) be interested in you again.

Im not exactly sure where this came from. Maybe some buddhist or stoic philosophy thing, critiques on romanticism I read somewhere. Anyway good luck OP.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
It's not about investing or not investing fully. You're probably right that I worded it incorrectly (im on hour 20 something of an assignment due right now and very sleep deprived.)

I guess my point is just that it's better to find something else to give you purpose and meaning in your life. And if a girl comes along, and she's cool. Sweet. And if she leaves. Hope she has a good life. So lets also carry on with what is hopefully your good and purposeful life, and someone will probably (and more likely now if anything) be interested in you again.

Im not exactly sure where this came from. Maybe some buddhist or stoic philosophy thing, critiques on romanticism I read somewhere. Anyway good luck OP.

I mean this would never happen in the real world lol. We put time and effort in our relationships and if things don't go well we suffer.

I mean people here must have experienced deleting their saves or losing their consoles, so what do you do next, never 'fully' enjoy another game again because of the possibility of losing your save/account again?

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It probably sounds silly but the thing driving me most insane right now is the thought of losing these cats. That's really killing me. And they're just sitting here oblivious to what's happening. It's just breaking my heart looking at them.
Get the cats. They need you. I know it's difficult but sounds like she is not the person for you.

Jul 24, 2020
I mean this would never happen in the real world lol. We put time and effort in our relationships and if things don't go well we suffer.

I mean people here must have experienced deleting their saves or losing their consoles, so what do you do next, never 'fully' enjoy another game again because of the possibility of losing your save/account again?

We can fully enjoy our relationship. It doesn't mean we should become blind or deaf to facts about the nature of modern people/relationships.

A error on a save is just that. A binary, technical error. There is not much to look into it other than how to fix it or stop it from happening again.

People. People are very predictable. The same way, having a loose cord fall over the front of the TV for people to trip over, will probably mess up your save.

But I also think modern discourse about "working at your relationship" is silly. People should be working at themselves. The more you work at yourself, the more someone is likelier to fit anyway. It's those who don't develop purpose that struggle. Sometimes... for the rest of their lives, depressed and drunk about "what could have been". And then you legit have a situtation where they become a cat lady or something. Seriously.

It's not pretty. And it's not good we let "love" or "true love" etc do so much damage to our psyche and long-term well-being.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Hey man. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I've been there -- a couple times.
I wanted to just comment on this feeling you're having. I want you to know that it's easy to think this way, the relationship is over because this and that...

Its ending because she doesn't want to be in the relationship anymore. Those things are symptoms of the bigger problem.

This might sound harsh, but it's good realistic advice that I've taken to heart- is that we can never control someone's feelings. People fall out of love with the most intelligent, responsible, beautiful people on the planet. Its just chemical and can't be explained. Its not because you wanted her around more or you told her to take care of the cats.

In a little while I hope this is almost more comforting to you, that you didn't do anything wrong. You just aren't for each other and that's okay. On to find your soulmate, after you recover and become a stronger version of you 🙂

this is really nice warm advice

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to update the situation somewhat. While I was answering the messages, she came home all of a sudden and basically said she doesn't see the relationship working anymore and really didn't want to listen to anything I tried to say. She's now gone to sleep.

I just hope cooler heads will prevail soon and she can realise what she's throwing away over something so silly. I really can't handle a repeat of this again, it's wrecking me, jesus.

I just can't fall asleep. My heart is racing, my hands are numb and tingly. I feel horrible.

Yet she sleeps like a baby so I guess that says enough. I don't know.
From what you described and the way things ended up so abrupt, I think she's already out the door. You need to evaluate if you really want to try to convince someone to stay with you, I think it will be worse for you if you keep trying to fix a relation like this.
It will be really hard but it does get better. Stay strong.

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
If she did meet someone else, I'd really rather not know. I think it would mess me up even more and just make this whole experience even worse.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a very similar experience and there was no other guy who appeared suddenly after the fact. My ex found a new group of friends and started spending all her time with them, including staying out till the early hours without answering messages. Turns out she'd been checked out for a long time and being able to monkey branch over to a new social group was the impetus she needed.

Ending a long-term relationship genuinely feels like losing a loved one - because that's exactly what it is. If this is your first rodeo expect a grieving process. Take your time and look after yourself. Be self reflective if it helps but try not to pick the scabs for too long. Moving on is the eventual goal. And it will happen eventually even if, at times, it feels like you're drowning.

Many can attest that being dumped was the kindest thing their ex ever did for them. Personally, I'm now married to the warmest most caring woman and we have a 6 month son. That I even thought my previous life was worth holding onto, I can only attribute to naivity.

Haha, could be, could be. I tried to play some Red Dead 2 today but couldn't concentrate at all. I really struggled to motivate myself to do anything. I've really been an absolute mess. Turns out break ups are definitely not my strong suit.

Max Payne 2 was my breakup game. The tone and content are perfect for that frame of mind.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The first is always the hardest and it's completely normal to be frozen and to grieve. Just don't wallow in it too long. Look at it as an opportunity to find someone that will treat you better and is a better fit for you. Most people have several long term relationships before finding the person that is right for them.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Man, I'm sorry you're going through something like this right now, especially during these trying times.

I know this can feel like the end of the world, considering it's your first long term relationship, but trust me, it will heal in due time.
Just take it one day at a time and know that it's okay to feel horrible about this, this is normal. This isn't a feeling you'll be able to just switch off, you know?
You just be kind to yourself right now and know that this phase will pass.

When you feel a little better, maybe try picking up an old hobby again, contact that friend you haven't heard from in ages, go for a walk or, hell, talk to us!
You'll have to rediscover who you are as a person without the relationship, separate the 'I' from the 'us' so to speak. Not gonna lie, that's not easy, but in the end you'll come out stronger.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
I'm really sorry that you have to go through this situation... It's never easy. I really hope you'll be well and that things will start to feel better soon.

A recent experience with a woman that I cared a lot about showed me (again) how essential good communication between the two persons is. This woman found it very difficult to open up and talk about her feelings and desires, while I can do it fairly easily as long as I feel that I can trust the other person. And there were other issues on top of that. It took me a while, probably far too long, but in the end I had to accept that things wouldn't work between us in the long term even though I really liked her.

There had been several red flags (which I ignored at the time) indicating that our different communication styles would clash badly, and of course it ended up happening. I also think that it hadn't been a healthy, balanced relationship. I invested a lot of time and energy providing support and helping her out, while my emotional needs were not being covered. Sometimes I felt that my feelings were being dismissed.

In the end things got ugly. When I talked with friends about it, all of them told me that this person was being manipulative. But it took me a while to see it and I still want to think that she wasn't doing it on purpose... Our final conversations were like spirals that didn't go anywhere, no matter what I said, and it started to feel toxic. There was a bit of gaslighting, second guessing myself, emotional blackmailing... In the end I needed time and space to sort out my thoughts and feelings, and things ended there. Unfortunately the end was very abrupt and I didn't like that at all, but in a sense it was good to be out to get some perspective.

tiddles

Oct 29, 2017
Leaving the country works wonders for relationship break-ups, I find.

There will be other cats!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190921191027-02-batman-1989.jpg

I feel like I'm having a panic attack and can't breathe. I have to be up early tomorrow to get tested for COVID for my job and I can't sleep.

I don't know what to do. We're engaged and were supposed to be married in March but it got cancelled because of the pandemic.

I have no idea where she is. She refuses to come home to talk to me.

This is a the first time I've dealt with a long term relationship ending and I feel like I'm falling apart.

I have no one I can even turn to for support right now because I live in Spain and my family are all in the UK. No real friends for me to dump this stuff on. My family told me to pack and head back to them but the thought of that just makes this all the more real and I start crying and freak out.

I'm also losing my cats now I guess. Outside of my fiancée, they're the most important thing to me but they're in her name and she would never let me take them.

I tried calling 116123 (the number for the Samaritans in the UK and supposed to be an EU emotional support number) for something, support or just an ear because I just can't cope right now but it says the number doesn't exist here in Spain and Skype won't let me call that kind of number.

OK, so Rory above @'ed me for a couple of reasons:
- I'm Spanish, living in Spain, and can speak both Spanish and English.
- My SO spends most of her free time coordinating cat rescues and adoptions (we stopped counting at 500 cats adopted).

We would love to lend an ear to you and help with whatever we can about your situation. Let me know:
- Do you speak Spanish? (it's not an issue if you don't, just that I'll have to translate between both because my SO doesn't know much English).
- What would you be confortable communicating through? (phone, email, discord, etc)?

Feel free to answer via PM. :

OP
OP
Aranath

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I'm back now and it really makes me happy to see even more people have reached out to help me in the meantime. Thank you all so much. I really want to reply to everyone, since you're taking the time to help me. So apologies in advance for the long posts.

She sent me some messages this morning while I was getting my test done basically telling me she was going to do some work and she would be back in the afternoon, so I have no idea what's going through her head right now. I'm just giving her space.

Won't surprise you to hear this, but it was hard for a time.... and in retrospect a good thing. But there's no reasoning to get to that point. Like other people have said, it's just time.

All the best to you. Will keep this thread on Watch in case you choose to update us...

Yeah, trying to reason this out is just leading me to second guessing myself and criticising myself, which I can see is just making things worse so today I just want to try distract myself and give myself some time to relax and focus on me. I slept like an hour total last night so my mom just told me to go get into bed and read a book till I doze off, which sounds great. I'm just about finished a re-read of the first The Expanse novel so that'll be my afternoon I think.

And thank you. I will definitely try to let you all know how this goes. Thank you for expressing the interest and concern.

If I was you, I would take up on your parents offer. If you don't have any family or friends where you are this is going to be rough. You need people around you that care and love you right now. It will make you feel better eventually.

I'm kind of torn between working a little longer in my job to try and save a bit before I leave or just outright leaving now. My family all offered to cover the expenses of me moving back but at the same time, my finances aren't great anyway so that's just adding some extra pressure on it all. Being with my family does sound really good though. I hate that they're so far away. God, I don't know.

So, if I'm understanding things right, you and your girlfriend remind me very much of the dynamic my friend and his (now ex) wife had: my friend was a sometimes-introvert sometimes-extrovert personality, whereas his wife was an "always on" person who needed all time to be spent with her constantly. Ironically, that wasn't as problematic as the fact that they just couldn't talk about it: they couldn't communicate with each other their needs, and work something out, and by the time they realized they needed to talk it was already a dead relationship. They both had to pack it in and divorce.

For them, this came because they never practiced their communication, and they were also incredibly young, so they had no idea how important it would be long-term to always be communicating about their needs. Of course, this led to her engaging with friends and basically detaching from that relationship, mentally.

It sounds like she checked out and hasn't been good about letting you know until recently. And you, frankly, just never knew. It sucks OP, and I wish you all the best, but you'll probably need to let this one go. Focus on you, and focus on growing your understanding of what your personal needs are in a relationship, who you are, and making sure that the next person you match with understands those things about you, and that you understand those kinds of things about her.

Once again, very sorry but I can promise that over time you'll recover from this. I know that doesn't help how you're feeling now, but there's a reason people *always* say it: it's true.

In terms of communication, I feel I've been pretty clear with getting things off my chest and trying to talk through my problems with her. I'm realising now that she was dealing with that while bottling up her own problems and I think she's just grown resentful of that fact. I just feel helpless and a bit stupid now for not making more of an effort to get her to communicate her own feelings. I mean, I did, but clearly not enough. It's just such a shame. This is why I said last night that even though she is being mean about this, by the way she's going about it all, I don't want to get angry because I'm only now starting to realise she's had problems before that festered and grew, while I did nothing to help. I can only imagine how that felt.

OP
OP
Aranath

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Hugs and kisses baby it really hurts deep sometimes!
Hehe, thank you.

I feel for you, but you need to accept its over. Do not hold on to hope, accept it and make a clean break now. Her "coming to her senses" later is foolhardy and even if she did, how long would that last? The fact is she's had these doubts for a long time and it's finally boiled over. Even if she were to reverse course tomorrow, that doubt would still exist and would almost assuredly return later.

It's over, you'll survive. Time to move on to greener pastures.

Of course. Just given how much this all hurts it's not easy convincing yourself of that, you know? My mind just wants to take the easy way and pretend everything is fine even though I know it's not. It's such a shitty feeling.

After talking with my mom this afternoon, I do think it's absolutely in my interest to get back to my family as soon as I can. I think even if somehow things got "fixed" I still need to focus on myself and put myself first for a change. It's just hard after such a long time.

I can see that. Everyone's different. I'm a rip the band-aid off immediately type of person. Silent treatment is so disgusting to me that after that it's whatever.

I can see your point too. I just don't know how much I'd be able to handle hearing some things, given how awful I feel already.

This guy knows what's up OP.

I'm sorry to hear about what's going on, but I have been through this before as well. I took the time to discover new music, write, and most of all forged stronger friendships from it. Oddly enough, in recent years (could be my age), Dark Souls became an odd yet pleasing coping mechanism for me.

I also want to thank the beautiful people in this thread for being outrageously supportive and even giving him a number to call for someone to talk to. These are some of the reasons I love this forum, even though I lurk more than post.

Yeah, Tomo has been beyond great, communicating with my via PM.

And I agree 100%. I took awhile to decide whether to push the button to post the thread. I'm so glad I did. All these responses are really helping me a lot.

Unfortunately, Dark Souls is a bit of a no go. It's one of her big loves and I introduced her to it years ago. She even has a whole sleeve of Dark Souls tattoos. Not quite sure I can deal with any of that right now, heh. Once I start feeling a bit better I'll probably continue with RDR2. Almost at 100% completion. Been working at it during the lockdown.

Fight for the cats OP. From the sounds of it they'd be better off with you than her.

Also as much as you want to please keep in mind that there is no coming back from the situation you described. It's done.

I do want to but I really don't know how much of a legal leg I have to stand on.

Beyond that, if I return to the UK to my parents, they've got two big huskies so there's no way I could bring three cats in there. I don't know.

Yeah, I know you're right about it being over. Just got to get mind and body to accept that fact now.

Make the power move and get out of the relationship. Then you can feel some dignity about it. There's part of you that wants to hold out hope, that wants to give this person chance after chance while you're emotionally trounced and she's disrespecting you and intending to move on anyway. Get out of there, savor the dignity and pride you do have, and move forward knowing you made the right choice, because hitting rock bottom and being tossed away like a tissue is going to make recovery that much worse.

You will exit the relationship and feel misery, but know that there is a day in the future where you not only figure this out, but you feel great and satisfied. That WILL happen. People who are depressed don't think they will ever feel happy again, but they will. You will absolutely move on and eventually look back, thinking, 'well, i was emotionally invested in that person, but it wasn't a healthy relationship, and I'm glad I was able to get out without even more emotional sacrifice and destruction.'

Yep, you're right. I'm glad my family are supportive in getting me out of this too. If I didn't have them right now, I'd feel so helpless.

I do really hope I can look back on this with some positive outlook later on and hopefully even find something that was worthwhile through I all. Really doesn't feel like it right now though, when everything feels like it's crashing down around me.

Thanksfully most of the good stuff have been said. Still man, hopefully she doesn't return back and if you start to feel you have depression for more than 3 months, definitely go to a psychiatrist and ask for help. Breakups can lead to depression and that is not a good thing.

Still I hope for the best for you and stay strong!

What makes this worse is the fact that I have been dealing with depression and stress for the last year, mostly owing to my job. It's manifested in near constant headaches that I'm still struggling to get under control. This is just more fuel for the fire. Once I'm back in the UK, it's something I'll have to make sure I focus on getting better.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
OP, now is your chance to get a dog. Vastly superior and far more loving. Hope it'll get better over time.
Hey OP. I went through a VERY similar situation to you last year. I was supposed to get married in December and my fiancee literally drove two hours to her family's house and ghosted me for 24 hours before coming back with her family, yelling at me and dumping me right there.

Take a deep, deep breath. Then take another one. Call your folks. Skype a friend if distance is an issue. You need them right now and that's totally OK.

There's nothing I can say that's going to make you feel better but it's all a matter of time. That is literally the only thing that will make you feel better.
Why was she yelling at you when she did that? This is hilariously ridiculous, but I'm quite intrigued.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Correct me if I read anything wrong as I tried my best to through the entire thread before I post.

Sounds like you don't enjoy working there and your fiancé basically checked out mentally on the relationship and outside of that relationship you don't really have anything holding you there.

If so I don't know if I would keep trying to stay and see if it works out. I would just buy the ticket now for a flight in a week or two, let her know and see what happens.

If you or your mother truly believe a change of heart or mind may be in the cards then this is a good way to find out. You're going to eventually need to leave that apartment for your own good anyways and worst case nothing changes but you get to be back home with family and have that support system to help you move on.

Edit - I also think this is a very pessimistic side of me talking too as I usually try to be optimistic. My concern if that you still don't know exactly what's going on in her head. I would just want to be prepared for the day she comes home and recommends you both live separately. You said yourself that the landlord is like family and it won't be her leaving, it will be you.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Straight up take your parents offer to pay for everything and GTFO now.

Take the cats. Let her fight internationally for them if she's that slighted, but I doubt she cares enough about them to do anything about it.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Aranath

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Wow, even more responses as I'm answering. I love you all. Thank you. As I said I want to try reply to everyone, so bear with me. If I miss anything you might have said, it wasn't intentional and I really do appreciate this all.

I know this hurts right now. It will hurt for a while. Then one day (and you won't know what day that will be, but trust me, it will come) you'll wake up, look at yourself in the mirror and feel that the weight of the world is no longer on your back. You'll feel pretty fucking great and you'll smile and remember the good things without feeling sad. And that day you'll know you are over her.

Trust me, I know because I went exactly through the same thing that you are going through. Dark days are coming, my friend. Some days the pain will feel unbereable. Other days you'll feel numb. Treat everyday right now individually. Get busy! Try not to stay home (difficult to do during a pandemic, I know) and most importantly look for your true friends and family and lean on their support.

P. S. If you feel like crying, cry. It's the best soul cleaner. You'll find that you feel better after you do. Good luck!

I'm sorry you had to endure this too but thank you for sharing your experience of it. Yeah, I fully expect this is going to get worse before it gets better. I'm really not looking forward to any of this.

The day l have to say goodbye to my cats is going to be awful and I'm trying so hard not to think about it.

And you're right about the crying. It's something I've always tried my best to avoid in front of other people but talking to family, opening up and letting my emotions run their course is helping.

Gonna echo the sentiment here that based on your responses here, you're dealing with this maturely. We can definitely tell you're in pain and confused, but sounds like you're staying as calm as you can. And resilient people can cry and be sad, mind!

Not gonna comment about what's happened (mostly cause we only have your side of the story), but I wish you luck in what you choose to do, and hope you recover sooner than later, emotionally and financially.

Thank you so much. I am trying to avoid just losing all control of myself right now. It's not easy without anyone here to help me in person but I am trying.

And yeah, I appreciate just focusing on me. I really don't want to harbour any ill will towards her because I know she's having her own difficulties too right now.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, OP. I was in a 14 year relationship, married for 9.5 out of those 14. Ending my marriage was hands down one of the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life thus far. The relationship was on a slow decline for years before I finally found the strength to end it. Usually these things are a long time coming, and our love for the other person blinds us to it.

The point is that relationships are hard, and there will be ups and downs, and I'll tell you something a co-worker who had gone through a divorce heard from his therapist, and passed on to me: In a relationship, there are three lives. Your life, your significant other's life, and the life the two of you share together. If any of those lives fall out of balance, it effects all three. It's up to the two of you to communicate, compromise, and put in equal effort to maintain your happiness.

It won't always be perfect balance, however. Sometimes they'll carry the load, sometimes you will, but ultimately, the two of you are actively pursuing the same goal: Unity. Mutual understanding and respect. It's perfectly fine for her to have a life outside of you, and it's perfectly fine for you to have a life outside of her. In a relationship, your significant other should be a supplement to your happiness, not the sole source, and vice versa.

It sounds to me like she checked out of the relationship long ago, and instead of communicating these feelings with you, and seeing if there was a way to repair that rift, she shut you out. That's not fair, and you didn't deserve that.

It's been two years since me and my wife separated, and I filed for divorce, and it took me about that long to finally truly heal from losing not just my wife, but my best friend and partner. The person I loved more than anyone in this world, and that I couldn't imagine ever being without. However, I also found peace, happiness, and joy within myself during that time. Even though our split was hard, and not an amicable divorce, I hold on to the good times that we had. To the things I learned from being with her, and how there was a time in my life where I never thought I'd find love. I know now that I will again, and I know now that even if I don't, I'm still a whole, complete person all by myself.

I say all this to say that it's going to hurt. I can't say for how long, as it's different for everyone, but I guarantee that things will get better for you. And that you don't have to hurt alone. You may feel isolated because you are far from family and friends, but don't hesitate to reach out. I'm always here to lend an ear when you need to vent, or a shoulder to lean on, as I'm sure others here are. This is an incredibly painful, and sad time for you, but it isn't the end. You tried to communicate and reach out to her to mend things. She wasn't receptive, and that is on her. Her choice, and she has to live with the consequences of that choice. You do as well, but don't let your hurt and disappointment dictate your path forward. Whatever guilt, frustration, self pity you feel, allow it to come, those feelings are natural and valid, but also allow it to flow out of you in time. Trust me, you will get to a better place one day. There are definitely some hard days ahead, I'm not gonna lie, but they will get better. I'm truly wishing you the best, but like I said, don't hesitate to reach out like you have in this thread if you need to talk.

Thank you so much for sharing all of that and taking the time to write it all out. What the therapist said really resonates. I know some others have commented about being too emotionally invested in the relationship, and I guess I have been. If that suffocated her, it's so unfortunate that our communication broke down to the point were she could no longer open up to me about it so we could find a way to fix things.

I too feel like I'm losing my best friend. I thought we would be together for a long time and she was my life. So this really hits hard. I'm still struggling to imagine not talking to her every day and no longer having any of the fun silly experiences we have had through the years. We've been through a lot together in this time and it really hurts to look at that all as a past finished episode in my life and no longer the early stages of a long loving relationship. Really hurts.

I'm really sorry to hear what you went through and especially after such a long time too. I can only imagine what it was like.

I hope every single one of you that has shared your own personal experiences realises how much they mean to me and how much they help. I'm sure it can't be easy to think about all of that again and to drudge up all those feelings, simply to help a stranger on the Internet. Thank you all, really.

I am not sure if that's how the ownership law works over there, regarding cats.

In Germany for example abonding your cats and leaving it in the care of someone else to feed over a longer time frame, means ownership transfers to the person who feeds and pays vet bills. It actually greatly differs from country to country.

Panic attacks suck, take it one step at a time. And even if it makes things "more real" consider moving back. What you need right now is emotional support. :/ Seek medical help. A doctor might be able to refer you To local hotlines/institutions.

Thank you for trying to help with the cat situation. I do feel it's a lost cause. They're in her name and the vet is a family friend so she generally took responsibility for the vet appointments, unless she was working, and paid cash.

My mother is quite concerned about my health and wants me back there ASAP so I don't spiral out of control. I definitely don't feel good today. I feel like I have a heavy weight on my chest and feel sick to my stomach. It's really not great.

Seeing my doctor is difficult because I only get telephone appointments and the last one I tried with him a few weeks ago, he literally didn't call me.

Let it burn OP, she is gone. Cry as much as you need to because this is a step that a lot of people don't want to face. Get around people that care and keep your time occupied. It will come and go and hurt like hell. Start pulling yourself away from the current life that you have, and start prepping for your new life after this.

I know this is what I need to do. And I am trying, at least trying to mentally prepare myself right now for it. But again, it's hard and this all really hurts but I'm doing my best. I really am.

Normally I'd suggest you ask her to see a couples therapist but from what you've said she sounds checked out.

I have considered it. But I worry we go through all the time and effort trying to salvage this but in the end, it's exactly as you, she's checked out already and I lose more months of my life and then I deal with this hurt all over again. That's assuming she even agrees to it in the first place.

And I mean that.

Thank you.

And I definitely see your point. At least from my perspective, this relationship hasn't been 50/50 and I've devoted far more of myself emotionally. Maybe that was wrong. I don't know.

But at the same time, I also feel like it was still worth it. I genuinely do love her and if I was able to improve her life in any way through all this, I feel glad of that. Maybe it wasn't the emotional investment wasn't wrong itself, I just did it with the wrong person. I don't know.

I understand your point too. In the first few years, the emotional investment was definitely more evenly spread. I spoke with her a little about that last night. Just as an example, we used to make lots of small loving gestures for the other person every day and it meant a lot to both of us and a point came where that slowly stopped and I guess neither of us stopped to question why. I supposed that's when she started feeling the negative feelings she started bottling up and I just trucked on thinking everything was hunky dory, missing the forest for the trees. If she became more distant emotionally, I guess I just didn't want to see it and invested myself as fully as before.

I'm still not sure if I regret it, despite how abysmal I feel right now.

I'm at a kind of weird mix of the two I guess. I mean, yeah, I'm heartbroken but I still want nothing but the best for both of us. If that means going our separate ways, then okay. But coping with that reality is rather difficult, even if it's paved with good intentions from either side.

Yeah, as I said, I still feel it was worth it, despite the end result. I guess I need to find someone who is more compatible with that level of emotional investment and values it. Maybe I never find them, but I'd still like to try, even if it hurts like hell each time.

OP
OP
Aranath

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Hope you're ok OP. One thing to bear in mind is that this experience will make you a stronger person. I remember many (many!) years ago when my long term relationship ended; we had just bought a house, were supposed to be getting married etc etc and she broke things off. At the time I was a complete wreck, I could barely function but you come through that even though it feels like you'll never be normal again at the time.

And the person who emerges from the wreckage of that relationship will have a much broader perspective of life and relationships in general, one better able to handle the bad stuff. It's all part of that ole' life experience I suppose.

Eventually you'll come to appreciate her perspective - at least I did. You may never agree with how she ended things (and it sounds like a really immature and shitty way to do it, to cause you infinitely more pain than she needed to) but part of you will on some level understand how hard it must have been for her too at the time.

The old adage is absolutely true: "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". It takes time but you'll be able to look back on the positives of your relationship as you move on with your life, potentially with someone else.

All the best.

Yeah, given this is my first proper long term relationship, it's a learning experience from beginning to end and I truly do hope it helps me to just improve myself in the future or to even not be so hard on my self on the other hand. Given the lack of communication that has seemingly led to this all, I hope I can maintain this awareness of making sure I listen and focus on whoever I may end up with one day and then maybe this ugliness can be avoided and we don't end up wasting what really was an amazing relationship, at least for a time.

I'm sorry you had to go through this more than once. That's awful. Thank you for using that to try help others.

You're absolutely right. Just focusing on those little details is leading me to try assign blame and I can see that just making things unnecessarily toxic and doesn't help anyone at all. I guess I'm just trying to find a way to rationalise it because it's just been so hard to understand and accept that it's actually happening. Talking with you all is really helping me to put things in perspective and to try deal with this in the least messy and most mature way we can I guess. At least on my end.

I sincerely appreciate the advice.

Get the cats. They need you. I know it's difficult but sounds like she is not the person for you.

I really, really want that. But as I said before, I'm really struggling to see a way I could manage it.

At the same time, as much as I felt she could have done more to help them, I know she does love them with all her heart. I guess I have some consolation that if I lose them, I know they're still going to be loved. As much as it hurts, the thought helps.

We can fully enjoy our relationship. It doesn't mean we should become blind or deaf to facts about the nature of modern people/relationships.

A error on a save is just that. A binary, technical error. There is not much to look into it other than how to fix it or stop it from happening again.

People. People are very predictable. The same way, having a loose cord fall over the front of the TV for people to trip over, will probably mess up your save.

But I also think modern discourse about "working at your relationship" is silly. People should be working at themselves. The more you work at yourself, the more someone is likelier to fit anyway. It's those who don't develop purpose that struggle. Sometimes... for the rest of their lives, depressed and drunk about "what could have been". And then you legit have a situtation where they become a cat lady or something. Seriously.

It's not pretty. And it's not good we let "love" or "true love" etc do so much damage to our psyche and long-term well-being.

You gave me some things to think about here. Thank you.

I guess from my view right now, why not both? I genuinely think this whole ugly situation could have been avoided if we had both been better able to deal with our personal problems, like my job, while at the same time acknowledging that maybe things have gone a bit awry and need a course correct between the two of us.

Then again, it's probably not helping me right now to dwell on past hypotheticals so I'll just end it there.

this is really nice warm advice

It really is.

From what you described and the way things ended up so abrupt, I think she's already out the door. You need to evaluate if you really want to try to convince someone to stay with you, I think it will be worse for you if you keep trying to fix a relation like this.
It will be really hard but it does get better. Stay strong.

I don't think I can convince her of anything at this point even if I wanted to try. I'm just giving her space now and meanwhile I'm going to focus on my job and/or getting out of here and back to my family. I need to think of myself right now and whatever she decides is what she decides. She has the right to determine things herself too.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a very similar experience and there was no other guy who appeared suddenly after the fact. My ex found a new group of friends and started spending all her time with them, including staying out till the early hours without answering messages. Turns out she'd been checked out for a long time and being able to monkey branch over to a new social group was the impetus she needed.

Ending a long-term relationship genuinely feels like losing a loved one - because that's exactly what it is. If this is your first rodeo expect a grieving process. Take your time and look after yourself. Be self reflective if it helps but try not to pick the scabs for too long. Moving on is the eventual goal. And it will happen eventually even if, at times, it feels like you're drowning.

Many can attest that being dumped was the kindest thing their ex ever did for them. Personally, I'm now married to the warmest most caring woman and we have a 6 month son. That I even thought my previous life was worth holding onto, I can only attribute to naivity.

Max Payne 2 was my breakup game. The tone and content are perfect for that frame of mind.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience too, but I'm glad you were able to move on to better and bigger things. Congratulations on your son. Thank you for sharing that.

And yeah, I'm holding out hope I can move beyond this without a great deal of negativity and look back on it one day as a slightly more positive episode (than it feels right now) along the course of my life and not something awful that I'd rather just forget.

Playing RDR2 is putting me in the mood for a replay of Max Payne 3 actually, haha. I was a big fan back in the day, particularly of the shooting. Still some of the GOAT.

The first is always the hardest and it's completely normal to be frozen and to grieve. Just don't wallow in it too long. Look at it as an opportunity to find someone that will treat you better and is a better fit for you. Most people have several long term relationships before finding the person that is right for them.

I'm definitely trying to focus on the positives as much as I can, hard as it is right now. But moving on gracefully and finding something better is a comforting thought.

Man, I'm sorry you're going through something like this right now, especially during these trying times.

I know this can feel like the end of the world, considering it's your first long term relationship, but trust me, it will heal in due time.
Just take it one day at a time and know that it's okay to feel horrible about this, this is normal. This isn't a feeling you'll be able to just switch off, you know?
You just be kind to yourself right now and know that this phase will pass.

When you feel a little better, maybe try picking up an old hobby again, contact that friend you haven't heard from in ages, go for a walk or, hell, talk to us!
You'll have to rediscover who you are as a person without the relationship, separate the 'I' from the 'us' so to speak. Not gonna lie, that's not easy, but in the end you'll come out stronger.

I will definitely take your advice and that should be all the easier if I'm back in the UK and especially without the stress and anxiety that my job causes and this relationship has obviously been causing. I know it's a bit cliché but I legit haven't had a proper workout in years and it's actually a nice thought being able to hit the weights with my brother once again when I'm finally back there.

I'm really sorry that you have to go through this situation... It's never easy. I really hope you'll be well and that things will start to feel better soon.

A recent experience with a woman that I cared a lot about showed me (again) how essential good communication between the two persons is. This woman found it very difficult to open up and talk about her feelings and desires, while I can do it fairly easily as long as I feel that I can trust the other person. And there were other issues on top of that. It took me a while, probably far too long, but in the end I had to accept that things wouldn't work between us in the long term even though I really liked her.

There had been several red flags (which I ignored at the time) indicating that our different communication styles would clash badly, and of course it ended up happening. I also think that it hadn't been a healthy, balanced relationship. I invested a lot of time and energy providing support and helping her out, while my emotional needs were not being covered. Sometimes I felt that my feelings were being dismissed.

In the end things got ugly. When I talked with friends about it, all of them told me that this person was being manipulative. But it took me a while to see it and I still want to think that she wasn't doing it on purpose... Our final conversations were like spirals that didn't go anywhere, no matter what I said, and it started to feel toxic. There was a bit of gaslighting, second guessing myself, emotional blackmailing... In the end I needed time and space to sort out my thoughts and feelings, and things ended there. Unfortunately the end was very abrupt and I didn't like that at all, but in a sense it was good to be out to get some perspective.

Everything you're describing there is hitting real close to home. My experiences echo a lot of what you went through, and now having been there, I empathise completely and I'm sorry you had to go through it all. Again, thank you for sharing it with me.

I'm really trying hard to avoid things getting toxic here which will help no one. Our conversation last night was exactly how you described your last one. Eventually we just agreed to stop talking and head to bed.

Leaving the country works wonders for relationship break-ups, I find.

There will be other cats!

Yeah, the distance will help a lot. I think getting out of Spain too and a change of jobs will do me wonders, just in terms of general stress/anxiety/depression.

And yeah there will be others. I think I said last night I'd be happy to adopt one of my own one day. Still hurts like hell to lose these ones though. They really are family.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190921191027-02-batman-1989.jpg

OK, so Rory above @'ed me for a couple of reasons:
- I'm Spanish, living in Spain, and can speak both Spanish and English.
- My SO spends most of her free time coordinating cat rescues and adoptions (we stopped counting at 500 cats adopted).

We would love to lend an ear to you and help with whatever we can about your situation. Let me know:
- Do you speak Spanish? (it's not an issue if you don't, just that I'll have to translate between both because my SO doesn't know much English).
- What would you be confortable communicating through? (phone, email, discord, etc)?

Feel free to answer via PM. :

Wow, thank you so much for offering to help me out. I'll definitely send a long a PM.

OP, now is your chance to get a dog. Vastly superior and far more loving. Hope it'll get better over time.

Well, if I do end up back with my family, my mom has two gorgeous huskies so I've got that to look forward to, hehe.

Correct me if I read anything wrong as I tried my best to through the entire thread before I post.

Sounds like you don't enjoy working there and your fiancé basically checked out mentally on the relationship and outside of that relationship you don't really have anything holding you there.

If so I don't know if I would keep trying to stay and see if it works out. I would just buy the ticket now for a flight in a week or two, let her know and see what happens.

If you or your mother truly believe a change of heart or mind may be in the cards then this is a good way to find out. You're going to eventually need to leave that apartment for your own good anyways and worst case nothing changes but you get to be back home with family and have that support system to help you move on.

Edit - I also think this is a very pessimistic side of me talking too as I usually try to be optimistic. My concern if that you still don't know exactly what's going on in her head. I would just want to be prepared for the day she comes home and recommends you both live separately. You said yourself that the landlord is like family and it won't be her leaving, it will be you.

Yeah, you are right with all of it and I don't think you're being pessimistic. Right now, if I stay on a bit longer, it won't be for waiting for her to change or come to her senses, it would be to just sure myself up a bit more financially before home and being unemployed for a time.

My mom warned me of the flat situation too. She recommended leaving ASAP because being here longer than necessary won't help but I should at least try and have things ready to more easily move should things go worse. The problem is right now I don't even have boxes to pack my stuff in and I've got large things that need moving (TV, consoles, desktop PC, guitar, etc.). Not to mention the thought of packing my life up like right now is actually stressing me out more. I don't know, like having a bit more time to deal with it would do wonders. But then at the same time, that depends on how she's going to be when she gets home from work today. Man, this really just sucks. Hate it.

Straight up take your parents offer to pay for everything and GTFO now.

Take the cats. Let her fight internationally for them if she's that slighted, but I doubt she cares enough about them to do anything about it.

Good luck!

It is tempting to just get out right now but I honestly just feel like I'm drowning and having to pack up everything, get on the plane, and, were it possible, somehow get the cats too, while I'm still reeling from the shock of all this feels like too much for me to handle. I really mean it when I say I'm not coping. I really wish my family could actually come and help me but that's not possible, not during this pandemic.

Nothing risked - nothing gained

It's true. As much as this sucks beyond belief right now, I am still trying to focus on the positives, as much as I can.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada

This is well put. OP, unfortunately you will probably be pretty devastated, sad, and numb for a while. But it will go away with time. It did for me. Think about some of the bigger, impactful moments in your life, and how back then they occupied all your attention and were so immediate, yet now they have faded and become memories and experiences. You will make it through this - try to keep yourself occupied, through work, school or anything like that. Don't allow yourself too much alone time to dwell on this, you need to keep busy. Unfortunately with covid it is harder to get out and meet people, but as soon as you're able try to interact with people. You will meet someone else, I did a couple years after getting my heart broken, and I look back at that other person as a someone who would have been a huge mistake.

Something else to consider... if this person decided to out of nowhere make you feel this way, would you really want to spend the rest of your life with them? I know after I had my heart broken, I immediately wanted to try to get them back somehow, and acted irrationally/bothered them a lot. But years later I know I was acting foolishly, that they wouldn't really change based on anything I could say or do, and that even if they did it would have happened again eventually. You know what she is capable of now and it's probably not worth trying to salvage.

Someone else in the thread mentioned hobbies seeming less fun/meaningful. This was very true for me. The enjoyment will come back eventually.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Everything you're describing there is hitting real close to home. My experiences echo a lot of what you went through, and now having been there, I empathise completely and I'm sorry you had to go through it all. Again, thank you for sharing it with me.

I'm really trying hard to avoid things getting toxic here which will help no one. Our conversation last night was exactly how you described your last one. Eventually we just agreed to stop talking and head to bed.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

I know it hurts a lot and it's going to take some time for you to feel better about the situation, but it will happen eventually. And you will learn something out of this, which you will apply the next time that an opportunity for a relationship appears.

As so many people told me when I was going through my bad days this summer, be kind to yourself. You're the only person that you actually have to live with all the time, and so being fine with yourself is really important. So take it one day at a time, focus on things that are essential for you, and come to terms with the fact that no matter how hard we may want something, at the end of the day we cannot control how others feel and act.

You know the situation and can figure out how reasonable it is to try to convince this person to change their mind, but be careful... Sometimes trying to persuade other people is a lost cause, and one may only delay the inevitable. I'm not going to say if it's worth it or not to do it in your case, but there's a risk that you may neglect and lose yourself in the process of trying to do that. This is simply because at the moment you really want to fix things, and that's a very natural reaction to have. But you may end up accepting things that are against your own interest because of that desire, and so it's good to be careful. Just take care of yourself.

OP
OP
Aranath

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Her father called me this afternoon, asking if she was around to catch a lift from the next town over. I had no idea if she had spoken to any of them about this and it seems that she hadn't. He asked how I was doing, how my job was going and told me to come around some time for coffee. I had no idea whether to say something but thought I better not. It's not my place.

This is well put. OP, unfortunately you will probably be pretty devastated, sad, and numb for a while. But it will go away with time. It did for me. Think about some of the bigger, impactful moments in your life, and how back then they occupied all your attention and were so immediate, yet now they have faded and become memories and experiences. You will make it through this - try to keep yourself occupied, through work, school or anything like that. Don't allow yourself too much alone time to dwell on this, you need to keep busy. Unfortunately with covid it is harder to get out and meet people, but as soon as you're able try to interact with people. You will meet someone else, I did a couple years after getting my heart broken, and I look back at that other person as a someone who would have been a huge mistake.

Something else to consider... if this person decided to out of nowhere make you feel this way, would you really want to spend the rest of your life with them? I know after I had my heart broken, I immediately wanted to try to get them back somehow, and acted irrationally/bothered them a lot. But years later I know I was acting foolishly, that they wouldn't really change based on anything I could say or do, and that even if they did it would have happened again eventually. You know what she is capable of now and it's probably not worth trying to salvage.

Someone else in the thread mentioned hobbies seeming less fun/meaningful. This was very true for me. The enjoyment will come back eventually.

Well, I still feel lost and confused obviously. Trying to keep busy is actually really hard. I just feel mentally and physically drained but this is still fresh so hopefully in a day or two I'll feel a bit chirpier and can distract myself more easily.

I'm sorry you had to deal with a difficult break up but I'm glad you found someone else eventually. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I'm really thankful for all of you sharing your personal experiences, as difficult as they were, because they are helping a lot to try stay positive and see light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

I know it hurts a lot and it's going to take some time for you to feel better about the situation, but it will happen eventually. And you will learn something out of this, which you will apply the next time that an opportunity for a relationship appears.

As so many people told me when I was going through my bad days this summer, be kind to yourself. You're the only person that you actually have to live with all the time, and so being fine with yourself is really important. So take it one day at a time, focus on things that are essential for you, and come to terms with the fact that no matter how hard we may want something, at the end of the day we cannot control how others feel and act.

You know the situation and can figure out how reasonable it is to try to convince this person to change their mind, but be careful... Sometimes trying to persuade other people is a lost cause, and one may only delay the inevitable. I'm not going to say if it's worth it or not to do it in your case, but there's a risk that you may neglect and lose yourself in the process of trying to do that. This is simply because at the moment you really want to fix things, and that's a very natural reaction to have. But you may end up accepting things that are against your own interest because of that desire, and so it's good to be careful. Just take care of yourself.

Well, after the conversation last night, I knew trying to convince her would be pointless and not help either of us. I really am just giving her space right now so that we can avoid this turning ugly. I could see she was angry and hurt last night so trying to convince her or work through anything while we're both going through difficult emotions at the moment just risks worsening the problems.

I want to give her space and now focus on myself. Try not to let this get the better of me and work out the best course of action that will help move along in my life with the least amount of conflict and pain.