• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Nvidia's RTX series cards should have set expectations.

I think it's great that both consoles support it.

I don't think we'll see huge real-time rendering progress this gen. The fidelity of RDR2 or TLOU2 are driven by pipelines that have been pushed to their limits.

What ray-tracing enables is a visual 'bump' that doesn't have huge development overhead. With optimizations and the same development pipeline we could see some visually spectacular stuff.

The performance hit of ray-tracing also means I think we'll see a lot of games targeting 60fps.

I think it will really shine with linear games. A Resident Evil 4 remake castle with ray-tracing? We're going to see some impressive games.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
To me: Doom 2016 looks 100 times better than Quake 2 RTX.
Also I'd rather play Doom 2016 at 4K60, than whatever Quake 2 RTX runs at

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
What a weird point to make. Of course a more modern game will look better than an old low poly game. Q2 RTX is just a tech demo meant to show what a full RT implementation can do.

However if Quake 2 was fully remade on a modern engine with RT in mind from the start, that would be a different story.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I find it weird people talking about 30fps and not resolution.
The trade-off I did with control (using a 2060 which is the less powerful RTX on the market I believe) was to use 1080p instead of 4k (which I don't have the monitor for anyway).
So I am playing at a steady 1080p/80ish fps with all Ray Tracing options on.

Since I don't plan on going 4K this gen (which doesn't make sense given how close I sit to the screen), my forseeable future is Ray Tracing at 60+ fps.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
What a weird point to make. Of course a more modern game will look better than an old low poly game. Q2 RTX is just a tech demo meant to show what a full RT implementation can do.

However if Quake 2 was fully remade on a modern engine with RT in mind from the start, that would be a different story.

What I am saying is shitty graphics with RTX will always be shitty graphics. I don't care if it's a full RT implementation; I care about the best graphics.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Depends of what the RT is doing. RT lighting is not impressive to me, as a good artistic team can do simular results without RT. What makes RT stand out to me so far has been RT reflections. They can really give that extra realistic look to game scenes.
So depending of what RT is doing and how its used, it will be a hit or miss, and in some games i think i rather play with RT off for the extra FPS. While others i will play them at 30FPS with RT on for the visual candy.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
You are just out there with all of the hot takes today. Any game that implements RT in a proper way will look far better than without. Watch Dogs Legion is proof of this already and it will only get better. Saying Doom 16 looks better than RT Q2 is a ludicrous comparison. Just say you'd rather play Doom 16 at 4K 60 instead of a lower resolution with RT.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
With such a hit on performance I think RT will be a feature I test and enjoy for some time but never actually play games with. Playing DMC5 4K/30fps is a joke, maybe 1080p/60fps is a sweet spot but 1080p on a next-gen console is unacceptable too.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Its another tool in the box for devs to use. Like the DF video on Watch Dogs showed, likely developers will use a blend of approaches - RT, SSR, cube maps etc to acheive the results they want. Likely also with the increased performance of next gen consoles, we'll see some more advances like we saw with the emergence of reconstruction techniques and PBR last gen - as you get more time needed per pixel, it starts to make 'expensive' alternative techniques like reconstruction etc more attractive because the overall cost can be lower than that for rendering natively.

As someone on the Demons Souls thread I think said - its a big jigsaw puzzle and the devs can make what they want with the pieces they have - this is another piece for them to play with

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Raytracing really changes the way (and this is artistically speaking of course) surfaces like marble, glass, metals, and other reflective surfaces read. But that's just one facet, ray tracing can also be used for audio or shadows. Real time shadows would really open up things too.

I think it's here and it's going to be huge going forward, but like others have mentioned it comes at a performance hit right now and that's debateable on what each individual wants.

Aug 5, 2018
I'm fine with 30fps with all the bells and whistles they can throw at me, as long as it's a single player game. Multiplayer needs 60fps though.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The ray tracing in Control literally changes the look of the game. The RTX global illumination in Metro Exodus is still the most natural looking lighting I've seen in a game.

As usual, I expect opinions on ray tracing to change once consoles start using it (especially with some first party games). All of a sudden it'll go from a superfluous feature to something we can't live without, like clockwork.