• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The Jet talk is NOT exaggerated. If you can play while having an hair dryer on the shelf, ok. But I can hear the noise all the time, even in an action game with my surround sound it's just louder. Headphones on? I can hear my console through them.

1st console) as silent as my slim in menu, VERY loud in games.
2nd) a bit more noisy in menu, but a bit less "out of control" with the fan in the same games
3rd) AMOK fan all over the place, even menu

71XX model: a bit more noisy in the menu and standby than my first Pro, but ramps up WAY less and not as loud at max.

The fan lottery is real, please make your own decision if it's ok for you or not. For me it's not, like I said it was a real hair dryer in Horizon and many other games. Try the new 71XX model if you're burned like me on the old one.
Don't care for measurements from some random consoles, it's not my experience.
Hm in that case that description makes me think there is a lottery regarding how they're handling idle mode, not really the gameplay which is what I'm talking about, menu noise is not a concern for me. The measurement I posted was probably on the standard Pro, a website posted it when there was talk about how quiet the X was to put some facts into place, didn't know about the 71xx model. What is that and when did it arrive?

I totally understand the frustration though, I don't have a Pro because of talk like this, and I think the X is too loud too, even when just playing a 4K blu-ray. But I'm picky.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Do your guys Ps4 Pro have any "coil whine"? My og Ps4 didnt have any (or didnt notice) but with the Pro if i come very close i can hear it.

EDIT: Ok some people on the last page also have "coil whine" so its not just me.

Last edited:

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
People, invest in some headphones and be done with it. Holy cow man. I could never do this with consoles. I don't even acknowledge them except to shut it off and put it on for the debug menu now and then. Also invest in an SSD to have even less heat in the system. IDK what else to say. You are putting yourselves through hell you don't have to. Get some facking headphones people.

Yes, because everyone is telling me they can't hear their Pro. I could hear all 3 while playing with my (big) surround system. And it goes up and down like every few seconds. It was just bad and I stopped playing horizon because of this (and Zelda :P).
It would just fly away if I would use a 4K TV. Gladly, I'm not at this point ^^

Yeah, with a surround system on? That just sounds crazy man IDK. I would definitely invest in some Sennheiser headphones and not worry about this at all anymore. I can't imagine all the retail problems with returned consoles and sending them back to Sony. Not worth it IMHO.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just started getting playing my again last night and wow it was really noisy when play horizon zero dawn. Hair dryer is the right description

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How is it possible for a small PS4 to be seemingly louder than my PC, which has 7 fans, even if I open my case up? Is it because it relies on a single (?) fan to manage temps on all components?

Reference graphics cards seem to use a similar type of fan. Wonder if a fan mod could also solve issues with the PS4's loudness.

Last edited:

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
People, invest in some headphones and be done with it. Holy cow man. I could never do this with consoles. I don't even acknowledge them except to shut it off and put it on for the debug menu now and then. Also invest in an SSD to have even less heat in the system. IDK what else to say. You are putting yourselves through hell you don't have to. Get some facking headphones people.
That doesn't really help other people in the household though. Do you think an SSD would actually help make the heat and noise noticeably better?

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
That doesn't really help other people in the household though. Do you think an SSD would actually help make the heat and noise noticeably better?

Probably not by much, but depending on the quality of that original 5400 it might. My Samsung 850 Pro doesn't put out much heat or take much power to run. So I am sure it helps ever so slightly.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't say mine is loud but there is a notable hum, not in a bad way though, just that it's louder than my desktop PC. I'd put the Pro on par with my Jasper 360, you know it's clearly on but not annoying where as my PS3 Slim and PC sound like they're not switched on. PS4 Pro is not like its close to my PS3/PC mind, if I used a 0-4 scale PC and PS3 would be 0, PS4 Pro would be 2 and hairdryer would be 4.

When my PS3 Phat died of YLOD that would ramp up to 4 after 20 mins. A lot of the PS4 Pro videos sound like the PS3 Phat fan in overdrive.

Last edited:

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Not everyone, it all depends on who you're asking and how picky they are. But I think the PS4 Pro was measured somewhere to sit at 38db during 4K gameplay, if that means something to you. For comparison, Xbox One X was measured to be at 33db during 4K gameplay, iirc, and that's said to be really quiet. And while 5db is clearly an audible difference I believe it takes 9db to sound like it's twice as loud, so the jet engine talk might be slightly exaggerated..

grabbed this from reddit. don't quote me on accuracy but a quick check on digital foundry also says 55 for the pro so I assume its relatively accurate.

PS4 Pro: idle: 24db-29db load 43-55db (PS4 fan likes to go up and down)
Xbox 1X: idle: 21db load: stays close to idle most of the time. under certain situations it can hit 28-30db

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I've had bad luck with both the original PS4 I had and with the Pro I now have. They both sound like jet engines about to take off, especially so with games such as Uncharted for example. The Pro is slightly better than the OG was, but it's still quite loud. Apparently there is no sure fire way of getting a whisper quiet console, so I'll have to live with it I guess.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
grabbed this from reddit. don't quote me on accuracy but a quick check on digital foundry also says 55 for the pro so I assume its relatively accurate.

PS4 Pro: idle: 24db-29db load 43-55db (PS4 fan likes to go up and down)
Xbox 1X: idle: 21db load: stays close to idle most of the time. under certain situations it can hit 28-30db
Holy crap is that true?! I saw it measured to 38db somewhere else, which is bad enough, but that must've been bs then. 43-55db is just insane!

Okay then, I stand corrected, jet engine is a valid description. As a reference to my projector again, it's at 32db at full power, and I never use that mode because then it hurts the movies whenever there is a quiet scene, I always use the 22db eco mode which is silent enough to be masked out by the background noise. Pro can go more than twice that... and every 9db sounds like the noise is doubled... :/

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So are newer Pros much quieter? My launch Pro is ridiculous, the coil whine alone drives me insane, and that's before you factor in the hairdryer fans.

It's even worse after you've got used to gaming on X which is almost silent and no audible coil whine whatsoever.

I really would consider buying a new Pro just to resolve this but I'd need to be confident they have fixed it, the coil whine in particular.

It's just a lottery. My launch day PS4 Pro is near silent bar some very rare games.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Never understood the noisy complain. Yeah my pro is loud as hell and ps4 og too. That's annoying but is something which happens very often on PC too after some year. Until the machine works that something I can survive. I will be outraging if would means that hardware is not reliable.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Holy crap is that true?! I saw it measured to 38db somewhere else, which is bad enough, but that must've been bs then. 43-55db is just insane!

Okay then, I stand corrected, jet engine is a valid description. As a reference to my projector again, it's at 32db at full power, and I never use that mode because then it hurts the movies whenever there is a quiet scene, I always use the 22db eco mode which is silent enough to be masked out by the background noise. Pro can go more than twice that... and every 9db sounds like the noise is doubled... :/

Readings can vary depending on testing environment and equipment. It doesn't seem like any site has a proper testing setup for noise and youtube videos are a poor way to get an accurate impression.
That said I was just watching the DF ps4 pro review again and they mention the noise being on par with the OG ps4 and the noise profile being really annoying since its high pitch and goes up and down.... which I think the OG also had, or at least the ones ive used did.
Either way it's a loud console, some people can tune it out and it wont bother them but noise complaints are definitely valid.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Never understood the noisy complain. Yeah my pro is loud as hell and ps4 og too. That's annoying but is something which happens very often on PC too after some year. Until the machine works that something I can survive. I will be outraging if would means that hardware is not reliable.

You can build a quiet PC. You can't build a quiet Pro. You can only hope you get a good one.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That's besides the point, but if you want to use price in your argument, a $300 Xbox One original and Xbox One S are very quiet. Sony is the one that seems to suck at this.
Ps4 slim too is very quiet. And Xbox at launch was more priced considered the real specs (and huge as hell). You can argue whatever you want but you can't pretend to have relative good specs and silent and sleek hardware at low price. The best thing it's wait the first revision. Like the slim.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I've had my Pro for a year, it's normal for it to get loud during lots of different games.

Just finished playing through Wolfenstein 2 and it can get really, really loud even if there's not much going on.

It never crashes or freezes though. It's just a loud fan at full speed, it's moving lots of air.

If crashing, freezing, and/or artifacting occur along with the noise then I'd worry. Otherwise it's perfectly normal.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If your Pro really is that loud, it's probably defective. I've had my Pro for about a year, and it's practically silent for the majority of titles. Even when it does rev up, it's nothing like what's being described in this thread. On the other hand, I had two OG PS4's that were ridiculously noisy. This really isn't a problem with the Pro, guys. It's a problem with PS4 in general, and it's a crapshoot whether or not you'll get a quiet one regardless of model.

Nov 10, 2017
Houston, TX
It's is significantly quieter on non patched games. You don't hear a peep. Play something that takes full advantage of the system though and get ready to roast some marshmallows. Even enabling boost mode make the system noisier. I hope they take things like this into account with the next systems they design.

That makes sense. I noticed it get really loud a few times during Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I recently realized that I didn't have boost mode turned on.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Mine is loud too but it gets obnoxiously loud when I play certain games like Nioh and Monster Hunter.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
My PS4 was incredibly loud. I then decided to open it up and clear the dust that gets caught up in the vents.

It's now incredibly silent, as if it was new.

I'm willing to bet most people would end up eliminating the problem completely if they did the same.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Do items like intercoolers help?

Miboo PS4 Pro Cooling Fan, External Cooler Fan Super Cooling System for Sony Playstation 4 Pro Gaming Console https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XV5V1TH/?tag=era0f0-20

Aren't these the type of fans that used to burn out the x360's? I read on the old site that removing the top cover off the Pro helps quieten the fan noise. I haven't tested but a custom top cover with air vents/speed holes may help?

Edit. Or maybe not accord No to this Reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/com...r_off/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is kind of all over the place in terms of noise. Playing Arkham Knight just after I got my white pro on Cyber Monday, it was basically whisper quiet. Playing Nier now and it has some pretty loud fans at times.

The Monster Hunter beta was mostly quiet...except in the training area where it got weirdly loud. So it's kind of a mixed bag for me. If it was doing it with everything I'd probably send it back, but my impressions from the internets are it's just kind of loud.

That said, I don't think mine has gotten anywhere near as loud as what the OP is describing.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Heh, good time to update you guys on mine. I actually ended up sending it back to Sony (through my retailer) in very early November. After 3 weeks Sony sent me a repair report. In it they said the following: "After thoroughly testing your device and after updating it with the newest software, we couldn't establish the reported deficiency anymore. We are sending back the device without replacing any of the original parts".

So, they basically did nothing. I have no idea what kind of software update they did and why that would solve a hardware issue. Also, they basically admit that my reported deficiency (overheating and extreme noise) DID exist, but that they solved it. So, I got it back and it was exactly the same of course. I made some videos of the noise with the Monster Hunter beta and sent it to my retailer again, they'll apparently talk to Sony about it but it's taking forever. I definitely won't see my PS4 Pro back this year. It's been a humongous pain in the ass and I still don't have it fixed.

Here are the vids btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lfEORHTuto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okuRA1cj2zk

The thing you don't see in the videos is how constant the noise is. It just never stops. Every time I start a new mission it revs up like crazy and during the mission it maintains a very consistent loud noise. It only quiets down for a few seconds once in a while and then goes back to the 'normal' very loud noise level.
To be fair it's a lottery like many posted here before. My unit was a launch one, had it way earlier than most even but it became just as loud as in your videos, to a point where I couldn't talk to people in game because the noise was unbearable through my headset microphone.

The same problem persisted with my launch PS4. The constant switching between fan speeds and ridiculous noise levels in games like Star Wars made it sound like a vacuum cleaner.
I even opened up my PS4 Pro and changed the thermal paste, which didn't help at all.

So I purchased the PS4 Pro CoD WWII bundle on Black Friday and guess what. It's one of those mythical whisper quiet units. The Blu Ray drive is louder than the fan! It's a real revelation and even Battlefront II which made my console take off, actually make my fans barely audible. I really hope you get a new unit, because those loud units are clearly defective.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
My PS4 was incredibly loud. I then decided to open it up and clear the dust that gets caught up in the vents.

I'm willing to bet most people would end up eliminating the problem completely if they did the same.

My Pro must have come from a really dusty factory because it's been loud as hell since I first plugged it in.

Renegade

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. It doesn't in any way invalidate my advice for people whose units became loud with time, though, so I'm missing your point.

The point is nobody has a quiet PS4 pro unless their room temp is 50 degrees. The thermals aren't magic on some and not others. It is a small fan and hence needs to spin much faster to move the same amount of air as a 120mm fan. Call it a trade off for current level of performance in small size and cheap price.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The point is nobody has a quiet PS4 pro unless their room temp is 50 degrees. The thermals aren't magic on some and not others. It is a small fan and hence needs to spin much faster to move the same amount of air as a 120mm fan. Call it a trade off for current level of performance in small size and cheap price.
I'd say mine is sufficiently quiet by my standards. It definitely makes noises, but it's improved once I started doing proper cleaning on it.

I'm not measuring decibels here or criticizing the platform. Just offering some advice that may help people who are willing to try stuff out. I really don't understand how that warrants a snarky response like the one above. I guess everything is a sore subject for some.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say mine is sufficiently quiet by my standards. It definitely makes noises, but it's improved once I started doing proper cleaning on it.

I'm not measuring decibels here or criticizing the platform. Just offering some advice that may help people who are willing to try stuff out. I really don't understand how that warrants a snarky response like the one above. I guess everything is a sore subject for some.

It might have had something to do with your snarky dismissive remark about how you're willing to bet people just have dusty PS Pros, implying the jet engine fan noise is due to people's inability to dust and not a defective product.

Oct 29, 2017
Mine is pretty loud especially next to my X. It's not bad enough to send it in though IMO but it can get annoying sometimes

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Opened my Pro to check and it was clean as a whistle. Still used canned air to clean what what little was there. No difference when playing Destiny 2 or FFXV.

Since Xbox One X released, I've barely turned on my PS4 Pro because it does get so loud. Even double dipped for X versions of games.brcause I know it will be much quieter.

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

I will never watch films on any PS4 because they are garbage media centers without any sound options. I love my Pro but ain't no way it is anything other than an exclusive and MP machine.

My PC will take care of the rest. As you said the thing is way too loud to watch films. And for good measure it makes my receiver's sound floor louder too because it always sends 7.1 audio to it even though I'm using headphones. Somewhere along the line the Denon translates this to stereo with a high noise floor. So I can't even watch films on it in headphones.

No such problems on my PC. Noise floor silent and I can change my audio settings if need be. No 7.1 signal is ever sent from my PC to the receiver.

But the PS stuff will always be here. X has no games, and I have no need for it despite it being a nicely designed system.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Mine recently has started to get loud, I'm pretty sure it's the blu-ray drive cause as soon as I put a disc in it starts making a racket..

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I will never watch films on any PS4 because they are garbage media centers without any sound options. I love my Pro but ain't no way it is anything other than an exclusive and MP machine.

My PC will take care of the rest. As you said the thing is way too loud to watch films. And for good measure it makes my receiver's sound floor louder too because it always sends 7.1 audio to it even though I'm using headphones. Somewhere along the line the Denon translates this to stereo with a high noise floor. So I can't even watch films on it in headphones.

No such problems on my PC. Noise floor silent and I can change my audio settings if need be. No 7.1 signal is ever sent from my PC to the receiver.

But the PS stuff will always be here. X has no games, and I have no need for it despite it being a nicely designed system.
Yeah same here, I don't use the PS4 for anything but the exclusives today, maybe if it was whisper silent I'd use it for other stuff but not even the Xbox One X is that even though people here claim that.

The last bit though...
I get what you're saying but when like 95% of all games released are multiplats and swallow the whole top 10 list in NPD's latest record month, and when Xbox One X is the best console for multiplats... well, then I'd say that "X has no games" is a slightly strange take on the current situation ;)

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people

That's not true at all. I sold my extremely loud one and purchased a new Pro which is so quiet during games that I sometimes wonder whether it's even on or not. There are even different fans from several manufacturers being used for the Pro which someone pointed out in the old forums, which may or may not make a difference.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
My basic PS4 is incredibly noisy so at least you get some additional performance out of it at least I guess?

Anyway I am fucking done with loud ass hardware so I put in a different room and ran a cable through the wall. Fuck hearing the console over quieter moments in games all the time.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
My basic PS4 is incredibly noisy so at least you get some additional performance out of it at least I guess?

Anyway I am fucking done with loud ass hardware so I put in a different room and ran a cable through the wall. Fuck hearing the console over quieter moments in games all the time.
Heh that's seriously hardcore! :D

Even in the same room I think the placement of the consoles matter quite a bit, if they're high up or at the floor or behind you or beside the TV etc. I have all my consoles at the TV wall on wall shelves at ear level... not ideal. :P

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It might have had something to do with your snarky dismissive remark about how you're willing to bet people just have dusty PS Pros, implying the jet engine fan noise is due to people's inability to dust and not a defective product.
The fact that you saw that as a snarky dismissive remark and not as a genuine invitation for everyone to test my suggestion out proves my previous point.

Don't be so on-edge for a subject as benign as this.

Besides, the fact that all models of the PS4 collect as much dust inside their cases as they do is a clear sign of a defective product. No one should need to unscrew stuff to dust the inside of a system less than one year old.

Opened my Pro to check and it was clean as a whistle. Still used canned air to clean what what little was there. No difference when playing Destiny 2 or FFXV.

Since Xbox One X released, I've barely turned on my PS4 Pro because it does get so loud. Even double dipped for X versions of games.brcause I know it will be much quieter.
That sucks :(
The One X is truly a marvel of hardware design. Hopefully Sony can pick it up and learn from it for their next machine.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
My was incredibly noisy. I wrote that in italics, since I suffered few years back a noise + high pitched noise tinnitus and simply can't stand it, so I used hole in the wall, where my ETH cables are, put HDMI through that and put it into next room, which is storage room, where the temperature is generally much lower. It's a thin wall, but still, it helps. But still I swear to everything that is, that I still hear it. Even though, it was like 6 meters total from me and it was wall between us.

But bare in mind, I had medical condition, but yeah it's noisy by any standards. Like pretty unacceptable level of noise for consumer electronics. And what's worrying also is the heat, it could heat up the room pretty good. I don't know where's the PSU rated at, but it's either inefficient or it can punch above its weight...

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Yeah same here, I don't use the PS4 for anything but the exclusives today, maybe if it was whisper silent I'd use it for other stuff but not even the Xbox One X is that even though people here claim that.

The last bit though...

I get what you're saying but when like 95% of all games released are multiplats and swallow the whole top 10 list in NPD's latest record month, and when Xbox One X is the best console for multiplats... well, then I'd say that "X has no games" is a slightly strange take on the current situation ;)

Oh for sure it has games if you want a console for third parties. It's hard to recommend for dual PC + Console owners ONLY because Microsoft has dropped the ball on 1st party games. I can't even imagine how successful they would be if they had a strong first party.

I do really like the X though and obviously recommend it to every single One owner if they have no other systems. It's an amazing piece of tech. I wonder if it has better sound options.

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Returned my pro, as it was too noisy, and picked up a slim.
No regrets.

Now this is crazy talk for me personally. I literally need every graphical enhancement the Pro has. I absolutely hated consoles at one point even though I was always a console player. My PC just got me into graphics and tech to the spot I wanted to be in, so I expect goodness when it comes to the PS4. The base PS4 is just a runt in way too many open world or MP games.

I'm still very impressed with my PS4 Pro. And anyway my Samsung SSD and it do not make that much noise. I have went right back behind it on the most demanding games and while it can be decently loud it's nothing like my old PS3 or anything. I could watch a film with it on easily with the furnace fan on too down in the basement. I don't like a silent basement, so that definitely means headphones and ambience are no problem when combined with a little fan noise from PC and Pro.