• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I've been playing 13 Sentinels--I'm really enjoying it, and making good progress. However, a friend has been posting in our group chat about his progress in VLR and every time I read it I just think about how incredible 999 and VLR are and how just...no VN i've ever played has met that. I played Raging Loop earlier this year and def remember enjoying parts but then thinking at some point "oh man, zero escape just did this better"--same with AISF. Just nothing can ever hit that same high of playing those two for the first time...

Do you feel the same, Era? Or do you have a (preferably mystery) visual novel recommendation that can triumph over the two?

(Edit: haha i've played a lot of vns! I guess I should have listed them before asking for recs--Zero Escape Trilogy, AA (everything available in eng + AAI2), DR1+2, Ai Somnium Files, Raging Loop, Ghost Trick, Root Letter...that's everything that comes to mind. I've no interest in playing more Dangan Ronpa, did not jive with it. Oh, also I'm waiting for Fata Morgana to be on Switch since a friend recommended that and I prefer handheld VNs.)

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, have you played the perfect trifecta of Zero Escape / Danganronpa / Ace Attorney? That's 101 for VNs, I would go for those before the deeper end of the genre.

Steins Gate as well.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
God I feel this, 999/VLR was a jaw-dropping experience. Juuuust in case you havent, A.I. The Somnium Files is also by Uchikoshi, and while not as dark, it's still an incredible game with a great and beautiful mystery.

...Also it's quite funny.

(EDIT: Just saw the AISF acronym, I didnt recognize it at first lol. Did you beat it?? I didn't think highly of it until the second half and by the end I was in love.)

Ever 17 is also fantastic, with a deep plot and, again, by Uchikoshi.

Danganronpa is a great one that can be very fun to dive deep into. It's a lot more ridiculous/silly, but the plot and characters are very fun.

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
While VLR is my favourite VN and one of my favourite games ever, there is a lot of good stuff out there: AA and Danganronpa for example have a good balance between mind blowing plot twist and comic reliefs, I can recommend them with no inch of doubt

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
While 999 is amazing, VLR has many faults though and bloat is one if them. AI: The Somnium files is great, play it!

Steinsgate is excellent. Ace Attorney Trilogy is fantastic.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is the best VN of all time.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Damn, can't say I disagree there.
Somnium Files has already been recommended, so might I recommend Raging Loop? It's a great VN in a similar vein, with multiple story paths.

I'm trying out normal books now for more mysteries. Juuust gotta finish Going Postal first.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
No one can read. OP has already played Raging Loop and AI: The Somnium Files. You guys can stop recommending those.

I do notice you didn't mention Ace Attorney though, OP.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Is Zero Escape the Apex of Mystery VNs? Please let it be like babbys first mystery VN, because it completely stunned me and I need more. I'll play every recommendation in this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha I feel you 100% 999/VLR are definitely top of the food chain. I think even despite their incredible stories, what really sets them apart is the immaculate pacing. Too many VN have piss poor pacing and like to waste time on awful SoL and romance plotlines, even when those things aren't the main focus of the story. ZE manages too develop it's characters without having too resort to that.

Also I recommend you play Raging Loop as well. It's the closet VN I've ever played which comes within striking distance of Zero escape.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Is Zero Escape the Apex of Mystery VNs? Please let it be like babbys first mystery VN, because it completely stunned me and I need more. I'll play every recommendation in this thread.

It depends on what you mean. I'd consider Umineko to be the apex of mystery VNs, but in a very different way.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, there's others, but Uchikoshi is top-tier VN material.

Iunno if you've played Ever17 or his other older games OP, but they're worth it. His collaborator on those, Nakazama, did Root Double which is a super fun mystery VN in the same vein and available on Steam, Vita, PS4 (?), etc.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
999/VLR is a good stuff, but I wouldn't say it's the best VNs have to offer and unfortunately it's still has some of the problems other long VNs struggle with, mainly pacing issues.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Is Raging Loop that good?
It was initially a mobile game according to Wikipedia so I'm not sure

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
999 is pretty great until the whole ending sequence lasts for forever and just drags everything down to hell

Hoping VLR is way better, AI & 13 sentinels are leagues better than 999 for me personally

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I mean, have you played the perfect trifecta of Zero Escape / Danganronpa / Ace Attorney? That's 101 for VNs, I would go for those before the deeper end of the genre.

Steins Gate as well.
I mean...I get I didn't mention AA or DR but...Zero Escape games are literally in the title....
You should play Ever17. It deals with the same concepts as 999/VLR and does it arguably the best.
Ever17 is on PC right? I've been interested and will finally have access to it soon, so I'll prob try that out!
Steinsgate is excellent.
I've watched the anime and recall enjoying it--but are the games distinct from the anime? I just wouldn't want to basically rehash content I've already consumed

Haha I feel you 100% 999/VLR are definitely top of the food chain. I think even despite their incredible stories, what really sets them apart is the immaculate pacing. Too many VN have piss poor pacing and like to waste time on awful SoL and romance plotlines, even when those things aren't the main focus of the story. ZE manages too develop it's characters without having too resort to that.

Also I recommend you play Raging Loop as well. It's the closet VN I've ever played which comes within striking distance of Zero escape.
Yeah, Zero Escape's pacing is just...so good. While I'm enjoying 13 sentinels, there's so much information being dropped that feels like it should be significant and a big reveal, but the timing just feels...off? like there's no build up because there's so much information constantly being thrown at me.

Raging Loop did get close--but I didn't really enjoy all of the weird sheep and dream aspects. I felt like as soon as they tried to explain everything, I felt it lost a lot of steam.
It depends on what you mean. I'd consider Umineko to be the apex of mystery VNs, but in a very different way.
Hmmmmmm could you explain what you mean by different way?

999/VLR is a good stuff, but I wouldn't say it's the best VNs have to offer and unfortunately it's still has some of the problems other long VNs struggle with, mainly pacing issues.
This is funny because I think 999/VLR by far have the best pacing in any VN i've played. I do feel like Uchikoshi does a good job of hooking you and dropping info at the perfect time.
Is Raging Loop that good?
It was initially a mobile game according to Wikipedia so I'm not sure
I thought it didn't nail the landing. It def sucked me in for a while but the last few hours were really just..eh.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

Steins Gate as well.
Basically this. 999/VLR/Danganronpa Trilogy/Ace Attorney and Steins;Gate are amazing, every other VN I've played can't really compare.

This year I played both 13 Sentinels (amazing game, the visuals and music are superb and the story is good) and Robotics;Notes Elite (good VN but nowhere close to S;G), and both were good, same with AI The Somnium Files last year, but I never felt as absorved with this games.

For example, as much as Fate has a massive following and lots of spin-off material, I never found the original VN to be that great.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
This is funny because I think 999/VLR by far have the best pacing in any VN i've played. I do feel like Uchikoshi does a good job of hooking you and dropping info at the perfect time.
I'd say the only relatively long VN without glaring pacing issues I've read is 428 thanks to its fantastic structure and flowchart (borrowed by 999 later btw). 999/VLR definitely felt like a slog at times. It's nowhere near as bad as Fate/Stay Night tho.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Hmmmmmm could you explain what you mean by different way?

Umineko is an incredibly long and slow-paced analysis of Mystery (capital "M") as a genre, mostly using it as a narrative tool to explore various topics, themes, and develop its characters.

If it clicks with you it'll be your favorite thing ever, but it's a 100+ hour tome of a book, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to everybody.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just dropping in to say that no one should play AI: Somnium Files. It's garbage, with any interesting plot threads utterly ruined by horrific, trial-and-error gameplay and a whole mess of perverted content.

Do play Ghost Trick, though! Because it is the best.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
VLR is up there as one of my favorite games of all time. AI: Somnium Files was my GOTY last year and this year 13 Sentinels was excellent. I want to give Umineko a try soon, it sounds pretty great.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Just dropping in to say that no one should play AI: Somnium Files. It's garbage, with any interesting plot threads utterly ruined by horrific, trial-and-error gameplay and a whole mess of perverted content.

Do play Ghost Trick, though! Because it is the best.
I agree—I do wish the dreams had more logic (sometimes I could find bits, but a lot of the time it was trial and error), and wish we could finally drop the perverted MC trope.

I have played ghost trick! I totally forgot to add it onto the list, so charming.
For everyone mentioning Ever17, I'd really recommend Remember11 as well, probably my favorite work by Uchikoshi.

ghost trick is so good
Is Remember11 easily accessible on pc?

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Umineko is an incredibly long and slow-paced analysis of Mystery (capital "M") as a genre, mostly using it as a narrative tool to explore various topics, themes, and develop its characters.

If it clicks with you it'll be your favorite thing ever, but it's a 100+ hour tome of a book, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to everybody.
Huh...I feel like I've heard good things but 100 hours is a long time on a VN.
What do you mean by capital M mystery? Sorry it's late here and my brain isn't working haha

Oct 25, 2017
God I feel this, 999/VLR was a jaw-dropping experience. Juuuust in case you havent, A.I. The Somnium Files is also by Uchikoshi, and while not as dark, it's still an incredible game with a great and beautiful mystery.

...Also it's quite funny.

(EDIT: Just saw the AISF acronym, I didnt recognize it at first lol. Did you beat it?? I didn't think highly of it until the second half and by the end I was in love.)

Danganronpa is a great one that can be very fun to dive deep into. It's a lot more ridiculous/silly, but the plot and characters are very fun.

You should play Ever17. It deals with the same concepts as 999/VLR and does it arguably the best.

Hmm idk if I agree with this. I remember playing Ever17 a few years ago because of recommendations just like this, and I dropped it after the first route. Apparently it's the last route that has all the good stuff but you have to play through like 3-4 other routues before you can get to it and that just killed any excitement I had for it. The first route was like 10-12 hours long and was a total slog. And that by default makes it inferior to ZE imo as 999/VLR are interesting through out the whole thing.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Necrobarista is a recent one that has :

Slight exploration
Great music
and actually interesting visuals (as in they have heard the word cinematography before in their lives).

And it's not some 20 hour behemoth.

Imma throw out an anti rec to AI and Steinsgate myself. They aren't awful (well, they are in some aspects), but if you are bouncing off some of those other games, you will likely do the same there. Especially Steins with its incredibly slow open and unlikeable cast.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
I feel you OP. Especially VLR was such a ride for me, never experienced anything quite like it ever since. I can still enjoy some other mystery VN's like Root Double or the Danganronpa series for example, but they don't quite get me as hyped as 999 and VLR did all the way through.

I just started AI The Somnium Files the other day and it's great so far. Let's see if it can come close to my favorites. I also really want to play Ever17 and Remember11 some day.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Yes, I know, and I'm telling you to play the trifecta entirely.

I'm gonna say it--I know basically no one will agree with me, but I must speak my truth.

Dangan Ronpa is an incredibly mediocre series. I played through 1 and 2 and don't think I ever felt genuinely surprised or engaged. At least 80% of the cases I knew the culprit 1/3rd of the way through the case. I had no emotional attachment to the character because frankly the writing was...well...mediocre. It's inoffensive, but unremarkable.

I don't understand the appeal whatsoever. And that's fine--I don't have an interest in doing so. I just truly don't think it deserves to be among the must play VNs, like I think ZE + AA should.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna say it--I know basically no one will agree with me, but I must speak my truth.

Dangan Ronpa is an incredibly mediocre series. I played through 1 and 2 and don't think I ever felt genuinely surprised or engaged. At least 80% of the cases I knew the culprit 1/3rd of the way through the case. I had no emotional attachment to the character because frankly the writing was...well...mediocre. It's inoffensive, but unremarkable.

I don't understand the appeal whatsoever. And that's fine--I don't have an interest in doing so. I just truly don't think it deserves to be among the must play VNs, like I think ZE + AA should.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
What do you mean by capital M mystery?

Nothing in specific. I just meant that I don't mean "mystery" in the abstract, I mean that Umineko (on occasion) literally discusses real-life mystery novels and quotes analyses of the genre by novelists, and the characters deliberately construct scenarios that fit within the classic mystery tropes. It breaks the fourth wall without ever actually doing so. It makes sense if you read it.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Nothing in specific. I just meant that I don't mean "mystery" in the abstract, I mean that Umineko (on occasion) literally discusses real-life mystery novels and quotes analyses of the genre by novelists, and the characters deliberately construct scenarios that fit within the classic mystery tropes. It breaks the fourth wall without ever actually doing so. It makes sense if you read it.

Oh, that's actually very fun and cool. I may just have to check it out!

Is it one VN that's 100 hour or a few different VNs in more digestible chunks?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Oh, that's actually very fun and cool. I may just have to check it out!

Is it one VN that's 100 hour or a few different VNs in more digestible chunks?

It's one big story separated into eight 10-12 hour-ish Episodes (story arcs), purchasable in two volumes that contain four arcs each (Question Arcs and Answer Arcs).

Oct 25, 2017
I agree—I do wish the dreams had more logic (sometimes I could find bits, but a lot of the time it was trial and error), and wish we could finally drop the perverted MC trope.

I have played ghost trick! I totally forgot to add it onto the list, so charming.

Is Remember11 easily accessible on pc?
It has a PC fan translation, which has also been ported to PSP.

I played the PSP version, applying a patch to the ripped ISO from my UMD. You can still purchase the PC version from several japanese download sites, and apply the patch to it. I don't have a link to the PC patch atm because the site hosting it died last year. But it's out there, and I'll try and see if I can find it. Googling around, I'm only finding

For Ever17, I recommend using the Himmel Patch.

Also, another shoutout to Umineko which is fantastic. I played it recently and loved it.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
It's one big story separated into eight 10-12 hour-ish Episodes (story arcs), purchasable in two volumes that contain four arcs each (Question Arcs and Answer Arcs).

Sweet! That sounds doable--I'm gonna add them to my steam wishlist! Is there a particular order or will playing questions then answers in the order presented work?

It's essentially 8 books, sold in bundles of the first 4 and the last 4 on steam.
Altogether it'll take about 120+ to get though all of it.

Good to know, thank you!
It has a PC fan translation, which has also been ported to PSP.

I played the PSP version, applying a patch to the ripped ISO from my UMD. You can still purchase the PC version from several japanese download sites, and apply the patch to it. I don't have a link to the PC patch atm because the site hosting it died last year.

For Ever17, I recommend using the Himmel Patch.

Also, another shoutout to Umineko which is fantastic. I played it recently and loved it.
Oh jeez--I'll ask a more tech savvy friend to help me with those haha, I'm relatively PC illiterate but I'm sure I can find someone to set it up for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to throw too many recommendations here but I'm just wondering, have you played 428 Shibuya Scramble? It goes on sale on Steam/PSN frequently for around $10 and it's one of my favorite VNs.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4mu9jf.jpg

I was mind blown constantly.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I don't mean to throw too many recommendations here but I'm just wondering, have you played 428 Shibuya Scramble? It goes on sale on Steam/PSN frequently for around $10 and it's one of my favorite VNs.
I haven't! I wasn't particularly interested in it after seeing the sort of graphics/art style?? associated. Would you recommend it as a mystery VN?

4mu9jf.jpg

I was mind blown constantly.
I won't try to change your mind but I disagree, haha. Still very fun and good--hoping there's some twists coming up that really catch me by surprise. So far I've either managed to piece things together before their reveal, or thing I didn't know didn't feel like they hit with that oompf.

Although I haven't done much of Juro's story yet and have yet to unlock Renya's chapters.