• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to give up higher resolutions or ray tracing for 60fps. No reason to give up performance mode options I think.

I think it'll be the standard for first party Xbox games yeah.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I think OP is right. I personally don't have a strong preference though, I think some games benefit from more luxurious graphics, others take better advantage of good performance and for the vast majority it doesn't matter because they don't take full advantage of the hardware regardless. I am happy with developers deciding what's best for their game and happy that this console is so powerful that they have plenty of options and room to play.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I find the doubt surprising, when we saw more 60fps at the end of this gen than at the beginning. Haha, still I don't think all games will provide 60fps. Maybe not even most games. But there will be a steady stream of 60fps games (or rather, games with high framerate options) throughout the entire gen.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are underestimating the power of this device. While I am sure not all games will be 60fps. But I bet we will have much more of these games this gen.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Was just playing forza horizon 4 at 1080p 60 on the one X and it's such a better experience than the 4K mode. I'll take 60 any day

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Series X doesn't have a big next-gen launch window exclusive unless you mean The Medium? But it's an indie game, not really "big."

I like the medium and all but does anyone really expect it to be in the top 20 of year 1 XSX sales? Cyberpunk and COD and 2k are still a thing.

Devs are going to push 60fps as long as gamers respond favorably to it. Considering 99% of the top multiplayer games are 60fps I don't see it going away as a standard anytime soon.

Obviously there will be 30fps SP games that try to push all the bells and whistles, and 30FPS "high quality" modes in a lot of 60fps target games that find the time, but I do think it will be more common, not less.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Remains to be seen what third parties do, but to Microsoft's credit they already seen to have made the move to 60fps for most of their own titles. Gears, Halo and Forza are all 60fps franchises as of their latest entries.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Microsoft has been pushing 60fps this gen whenever it was possible (like Nintendo)
You can expect this to continue with xbox series. I think the majority of third parties will have an optionnal 60 fps mode on Series X.

Oct 28, 2017
I expect xbox first party to embrace 60fps the whole gen as that's been one of their main talking points, describing how important higher frame rates are to the feel and experience of the game. Third parties on the other hand... i imagine we'll see plenty of 30 fps.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean i can't see why not. The cpu is almost the same as in the X and from there it's only a matter of will to dumb down the effects and resolution enough for the gpu to handle it.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I think there will be 60fps games for nearly all crossgen titles. Once companies stop making last gen compatible games, the plethora of 60fps options on games is going to dwindle back to what we have now.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I believe it, lots of games are offering graphic, resolution and frame options at launch and its fantastic.

More choice for console gamers of how they want to experience their games.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Do you guys actually think we'll keep getting the same type of games as what's releasing now? With more powerful CPUs, developers can push more complex ai, game logic, etc. Like c'mon.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Phil has been pushing the frame rate talk for years so I can deffo see this. It looks to have been accepted to drop resolution to offer performance so i think that's what they will go with if they have to.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do you guys actually think we'll keep getting the same type of games as what's releasing now? With more powerful CPUs, developers can push more complex ai, game logic, etc. Like c'mon.

for ms I think they will always go with FPS over 0 FPS with insane visuals. There games lean more towards 60fps than others. Gears, halo etc

Oct 27, 2017
They way they are marketing the series x, I'd be pretty upset if it's anything less then 60.
It's all 120fps this and power that

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
As an option, yes. Both on XSX and PS5, especially if there are mid-gen hw revisions.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all really enjoy making bold claims to look like fools in a few years, huh?

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
You're assuming almost every game moving forward will be GPU-bound. Devs will always push the hardware they're given, including the CPU, and that means there will still be plenty of games that won't have a 60 FPS mode. I'm thinking most huge open-world games that aren't cross-gen won't have that option. But I do think 60 FPS will be more prevalent overall than it was this gen.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I thought I heard somewhere that framerate is essential for making game streaming feel good, for latency purposes etc. Maybe this is the important third reason why you will see at least first party games at 60fps throughout the gen: MS wants to make high framerate modes to make games work well on xcloud.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
So you're saying that the image quality of series X will be limited by the S throughout its entire lifespan?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I could see it for indie and maybe some AA games but not the big AAA games that push graphics to the bleeding edge.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will simply because they'll allow more graphic profiles this gen. That being said, third party support will as usual be a toss up.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a performance mode, yup. It's already happening for launch with games like Yakuza.

Question is does it give developers more work to have different game profiles to target on a single console?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I do think MS first party will more often target 60 fps while Sony first party will target 30 fps. Halo and Gears did that last gen...

Last edited:

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just be happy that we're getting resolution and frame rate modes across so many titles.

This started this gen. Look how bad some of those PS3/Xbox360 games ran - those were bad times! Next gen will be living in luxury by comparison...

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Various options added to the games will be best, then you can choose between resolution, performance, framerate etc at your leisure.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
30fps won't go away but this time devs have far more powerful hardware to make 60fps easier to target, with less compromise to graphics.

We are already seeing most next gen launch games offering 60fps modes, so I think many games will have a performance mode going forward.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
If a game is running 1080p60 on the XSX, how's the S version gonna run? 576p60? No 60fps mode for the plebes?

People are underestimating the power of this device. While I am sure not all games will be 60fps. But I bet we will have much more of these games this gen.
The main reason why more 60fps games will happen more often this gen is budget constraints.
Not all studios can spend 6 years making a photorealistic game, and since the CPUs are good, a lot of devs will settle for slightly lower graphical fidelity and instead go for higher frame rates.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
I absolutely think you're right, both consoles have this potential...but I also predict a bunch of "why doesn't this have a 60fps mode" popping up all gen.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
60fps is not some next gen feature, the reality of fixed hardware development is that devolopers try and get as much out of the hardware as possible. Games being 30fps as long as it doesn't run like ass do not impact sales, having much better graphics, ai, physics, animations and just overall more detail does.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Developers choice, how hard is that to understand?
You could give some devs all the hardware in the world and they'd still create a 30fps game cause its an optimal target and majority of the market can't even tell the difference.