• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
From 2014 to 2018 I used the PS Gold headset, and I loved it. The battery life was a little short, but I adored the sound quality and features, and it worked great on PC. When one of the ear cups finally fell off after four solid years of use, I decided to upgrade to the Platinum version because I was so impressed with the Gold one. It's pretty similar, but obviously the reinforced build lends a lot more confidence to its longevity. That said, the battery life is still routinely running out in 6-8 hours, which isn't that bad, but unlike the Gold headset, this damn thing will NOT charge through my PC and I have no idea why. It works fine on PC, just like the Gold headset, but I have to plug it into my PS5 and turn that on just to charge it which is really obnoxious. Also, while I avoid using rest mode on my PS5 most of the time anyway, my Platinum headset also won't charge through my PS5 if it's in rest mode even though I have it set to charge plugged-in devices for three hours.

Are there ways around these issues, specifically the PC one? I'm curious if anyone else has experience with this.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i remember my dualshock 3 not being able to charge in just any charger back in the day so maybe. it had something to do with how the devices handshake

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm curious about this too. I used to be able to charge my DualShock 4 with any USB charger plugged into the wall. I actually bought a long cord so I could continue playing by plugging it into the nearby outlet.

But my DualSense only charges through the PS5.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
From 2014 to 2018 I used the PS Gold headset, and I loved it. The battery life was a little short, but I adored the sound quality and features, and it worked great on PC. When one of the ear cups finally fell off after four solid years of use, I decided to upgrade to the Platinum version because I was so impressed with the Gold one. It's pretty similar, but obviously the reinforced build lends a lot more confidence to its longevity. That said, the battery life is still routinely running out in 6-8 hours, which isn't that bad, but unlike the Gold headset, this damn thing will NOT charge through my PC and I have no idea why. It works fine on PC, just like the Gold headset, but I have to plug it into my PS5 and turn that on just to charge it which is really obnoxious. Also, while I avoid using rest mode on my PS5 most of the time anyway, my Platinum headset also won't charge through my PS5 if it's in rest mode even though I have it set to charge plugged-in devices for three hours.

Are there ways around these issues, specifically the PC one? I'm curious if anyone else has experience with this.
USB ports are not designed equally. The power draw from the headset seems to outweigh the power output from the USB port you are using. Generally speaking, the rear I/O USB will have full power, but even that might not be enough for that particular headset.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
are you using the included cable, the cable may just be designed to be used for charging only, and the pc cant see if the cable is connected or not, so it just doesnt supply power

its also possible and more likely that the computer just cant supply the power it needs to charge it properly, so the headset just isnt gonna charge

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
my Platinum headset also won't charge through my PS5 if it's in rest mode even though I have it set to charge plugged-in devices for three hours.

Having the same issue but with gold headset. Charges fine through PS5 when turned on, but not in rest mode. Google brought me to this thread.

Did you ever get an resolution on this issue OP?

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
I'm curious about this too. I used to be able to charge my DualShock 4 with any USB charger plugged into the wall. I actually bought a long cord so I could continue playing by plugging it into the nearby outlet.

But my DualSense only charges through the PS5.

I charge my DS from the wall using the cable that came with the console, works fine.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Dear Valued Customer,

Yes. Fuck you.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Playstation
CEO of Playstation

Feral Gingy

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Well damn. My dualsense controller seems to charge just fine in rest mode which makes things even more confusing.
My gold headset also doesn't charge in rest mode from my PS5. I've tested different cables and USB ports and none worked. For months I thought it was a bug in the console rest mode. Maybe it still is? Could also be the headset itself I guess. Rest mode charging worked fine from PS4 though. There are other posts online about different headsets not charging.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You probably need a higher powered adapter or USB socket.

My iPad Pro will not charge using a standard iPone adapter, but it will using my fast charging Samsung adapter.