• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2017
I honestly don't know why we have corporate defenders here but you do you.

This shit happens with PSN all the time. I've opened 4 tickets with PSN and have 0 resolutions. They are terrible despite what you apparently believe. Hell I have 1 unrelated ticket I've opened with Sony's media division due to issues with a digital copy code. Also 0 resolution. They just opt to not support their customers.

Going forward payment issues should not result in loss of legit content.

Regardless, if my child steals my card and buys something it's one thing. If I've allowed my child to purchase digital content on my card and they later buy something else without asking it's a different situation than "fraud".

You are correct, that is not fraud.. If you filed a chargeback request that you want to take funds back from a business because you allowed your child to use your card without your permission I would think the card company would decline your claim and tell you to pay for your mistake out of your own pocket. You should be asking the business for a refund first instead of insisting a bank/card company to reverse a transaction that was your own error.

Chargebacks are supposed to be reserved for situations in which someone truly unauthorized used your card or to get your money back from a business who tried to cheat you by charging your card without consent.

Some of y'all are so fucking dense. My parents have no problem with me using their credit cards. There is a reason why the credit card was already on my account. Hell I didn't even know it was my parents credit card. I didn't have to put any info in. I was just in a rush to buy the games before Black Friday sales ended. My mom has no problem either. She just didn't know why she was charged by PlayStation. I didn't know she was being charged by PlayStation. The whole thing is one giant miscommunication. My parents use my card too since our accounts are connected. We don't have to ask each other for permission. But y'all keep making assumptions and assigning blame and fault. SDF coming out in full force here.

Accident or not this is your mistake. Just explain and payback what you owe and then your account will be reinstated.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They double charged me for a digital purchase once, and after going around and around with Sony and my bank, the bank attempted a chargeback on one of the purchases. They immediately suspended my account. After trying for another few hours I ended up just paying the double amount so I could have my account back.

Shit sucks.

That's the example I was looking for. It's absolutely crazy that you had to pay for a product twice just so you can access your account.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Quick or slow question here.

What if you are in a situation where your child accidently charges a bunch of fortnite points or overwatch loot boxes or something. I've heard of stories of folks getting big heavy refunds for these situations. Wouldn't that turn to a situation of their PSN getting banned?

I'm basically asking what situation would leave you with an active and not banned PSN. I have never had buyers remorse for the few things i buy digitally. But i gotta be careful to never want a refund so that nothing happens to my account.

Sony (and I believe I've read an instance or two where thousands were spent illegetimately and Epic stepped in partially) would probably be keener to review something like this occurring than potentially seeing $60-$100 processed and immediately disputed. I'm guessing. It's fairly obvious.

Personally, YMMV with any dispute but I'm guessing they're also initially weighed depending on the total transaction amount:time between.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
You are correct, that is not fraud.. If you filed a chargeback request that you want to take funds back from a business because you allowed your child to use your card without your permission I would think the card company would decline your claim and tell you to pay for your mistake out of your own pocket. You should be asking the business for a refund first instead of insisting a bank/card company to reverse a transaction that was your own error.

Chargebacks are supposed to be reserved for situations in which someone truly unauthorized used your card or to get your money back from a business who tried to cheat you by charging your card without consent.

Accident or not this is your mistake. Just explain and payback what you owe and then your account will be reinstated.
when someone unauthorized used your card, the CC company usually covers that under their fraud re-imbursement. That does not entail a chargeback and the retailer does not have to refund that money. A chargeback is your latter point... a business scammed you and they won't refund your money. Which is why a chargeback is a horrible thing for a merchant

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
when someone unauthorized used your card, the CC company usually covers that under their fraud re-imbursement. That does not entail a chargeback and the retailer does not have to refund that money. A chargeback is your latter point... a business scammed you and they won't refund your money. Which is why a chargeback is a horrible thing for a merchant

exactly.

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That is what I plan on doing. Now if can just get in touch with Sony's shitty customer service.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My parents use my card too since our accounts are connected. We don't have to ask each other for permission.
I am thoroughly confused now. Are they not the same number? And if you all use the same account, why would you ever be surprised by a random purchase?

I get the miscommunication, I am just misunderstanding all these cards I guess.

Nov 9, 2017

Wrong, per the "Financial Dictionary":

Chargeback
A refund made by a credit card company to a credit card holder. Chargebacks occur when a card holder disputes an item on one's credit card statement, usually because he/she claims that he/she never authorized the charge. For example, if a person is a victim of identity theft because someone stole and used his/her credit card, that person may receive a chargeback on all unauthorized transactions. Other reasons for receiving a chargeback include receiving goods late or damaged, or not receiving them at all.

I have also worked finance for a telecommunications company and have personally seen the chargeback return code "Customer disputes charge as unauthorized" many many times.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Chargebacks happen for many reasons and sometimes it's as simple as confusion because someone forgot, didn't recognize, whatever. Shit happens.

The issue here is the heavy-handed approach on Sony's end and the lack of adequate customer service resources to remedy it. It is not so important WHAT happened on the customer's end as it is Sony doing a poor job of handling these situations across the board.

When I see people recommend to just give Sony a call for resolution I immediately know I'm conversing with someone who's never tried to actually do this.

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been reading some of the comments in this thread and now I completely understand why Sony and Microsoft are able to lock multiplayer gaming behind a paywall. Some of you are genuinely more concerned about a mega corporation being safe from fraud than you are about consumers being fucked over for dumb mistakes.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong, per the "Financial Dictionary":

Chargeback
A refund made by a credit card company to a credit card holder. Chargebacks occur when a card holder disputes an item on one's credit card statement, usually because he/she claims that he/she never authorized the charge. For example, if a person is a victim of identity theft because someone stole and used his/her credit card, that person may receive a chargeback on all unauthorized transactions. Other reasons for receiving a chargeback include receiving goods late or damaged, or not receiving them at all.

I have also worked finance for a telecommunications company and have personally seen the chargeback return code "Customer disputes charge as unauthorized" many many times.
Customer disputes charge as unauthorized is a chargeback. That's not the same as having your CC stolen, but your description seems to combine the 2. When you claim a stolen card and get your card replaced with a new number, those charges aren't your concern, but also generally aren't recouped from the company... that's the entire purpose of overhead fees on cc purchases. When you claim to be defrauded, you don't get a new card and the pull the money back and give a surcharge to the merchant.

"back in the day" chargebacks were actually investigated and they would not automatically be given. Seems now it's just default.

That's all technicality because it seems at some point almost all digital good holders have argued that an undisputed chargeback is a closure of your amount.
You are supposed to try to recoup the money from the vendor and chargeback when you can't. It's just become a lazy go to

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I have been reading some of the comments in this thread and now I completely understand why Sony and Microsoft are able to lock multiplayer gaming behind a paywall. Some of you are genuinely more concerned about a mega corporation being safe from fraud than you are about consumers being fucked over for dumb mistakes.

Fools just gotta root for their team. It's just part of the console wars but you can find the nonsense on car forums or whatever.

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
I bought an 1500$ item from Walmart Canada online. It was in the spring time. What happened was Walmart only sent me one half of my order. I couldn't finish putting together my patio stuff. I called Walmart customer support. It was easily a four wait. Nothing happened, no update on what's going on. I went to Walmart to return what was sent to me. Walmart customer service employees promised me money would be return on card in 5 business days. Nothing happened. I was so pissed off by than I called credit card company to do a charge back. I sent them all the emails Walmart sent me. It was so easy doing the charge back. Got my money back in 5 days .Capital One great customer service. Fuck Walmart.

So since I did a charge back from Walmart. Does that give them the right to take back all the stuff I bought from them over the years.
Thats basically what Sony doing. I can't think of any other company that would get away with that.
Im hoping a hero rises among us and sues the shit out of Sony for pulling this shit.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Contacting Sony CSR shouldn't be much of an issue. I've gotten through to their live chat very easily recently. I highly recommend that over phones.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your the one throwing insults out and pretending that sony is against you and everyone should automatically agree with whatever you said and did. That's not how this works and yes your library shouldn't be restricted and hopefully you can get your account back soon but chargebacks are not the solution and this is more on you than anyone else.

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am thoroughly confused now. Are they not the same number? And if you all use the same account, why would you ever be surprised by a random purchase?

I get the miscommunication, I am just misunderstanding all these cards I guess.
I had 3 different cards on my account but I usually only use one. One of these cards is predominantly used by me while the other 2 are used by my parents or siblings if I am not mistaken. All our cards from different banks are linked. I used a card that I usually don't use. My mom saw 2 charges from PlayStation on an account that hasn't had charges from PlayStation in a long time. And my mom has been hyper-vigilant about charges on our cards since my sisters card was stolen this past summer and had over a 1000 dollars worth of purchases that none of us had made.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Chargebacks happen for many reasons and sometimes it's as simple as confusion because someone forgot, didn't recognize, whatever. Shit happens.

The issue here is the heavy-handed approach on Sony's end and the lack of adequate customer service resources to remedy it. It is not so important WHAT happened on the customer's end as it is Sony doing a poor job of handling these situations across the board.

When I see people recommend to just give Sony a call for resolution I immediately know I'm conversing with someone who's never tried to actually do this.

It's not heavy handed. In fact, I would argue it's there to protect the original owner of the card. A charge-back is, and should only be used, in cases of fraud or unauthorized uses of the card. Sony locking out the account is preventing further use of a card marked as fraud/unauthorized use on the account. I'm sure they don't have direct access to the card since it's probably (hopefully) housed at the payment processor.

I know many buisness will stop work if they get a charge-back, why can't Sony?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Contacting Sony CSR shouldn't be much of an issue. I've gotten through to their live chat very easily recently. I highly recommend that over phones.
Yes, this. Using the phone is extremely wasteful on the entire tech support infrastructure. One CSR on chat can manage a dozen clients at the same time and there's no problem or ambiguity when copy-pasting your address, or account number, etc.... And usually you get answered much quicker. I made that mistake calling my internet provider, waited 30min on the phone, gave up, went online and got a CSR within seconds, solved the problem easily just copy-pasting the info requested.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's not heavy handed. In fact, I would argue it's there to protect the original owner of the card. A charge-back is, and should only be used, in cases of fraud or unauthorized uses of the card. Sony locking out the account is preventing further use of a card marked as fraud/unauthorized use on the account. I'm sure they don't have direct access to the card since it's probably (hopefully) housed at the payment processor.

I disagree completely. A reasonable approach doesn't include locking previously purchased content.

It's one thing to "stop work" and another to screw you out of things previously purchased.

Nov 9, 2017
Customer disputes charge as unauthorized is a chargeback. That's not the same as having your CC stolen, but your description seems to combine the 2. When you claim a stolen card and get your card replaced with a new number, those charges aren't your concern, but also generally aren't recouped from the company... that's the entire purpose of overhead fees on cc purchases. When you claim to be defrauded, you don't get a new card and the pull the money back and give a surcharge to the merchant.

"back in the day" chargebacks were actually investigated and they would not automatically be given. Seems now it's just default.

That's all technicality because it seems at some point almost all digital good holders have argued that an undisputed chargeback is a closure of your amount.
You are supposed to try to recoup the money from the vendor and chargeback when you can't. It's just become a lazy go to

A fraud chargeback is a chargeback, end of story. In terms of who ends up eating the cost of the chargeback if there is confirmed fraud present, there is some weird algorithm the banks have figured out that changes based on whether an actual physical card was used vs a digital transaction and with what specific info was used when the transation was processed.

The customer never eats it, it is either the bank or the merchant. That is why merchants treat chargeback activity very seriously. There are also chargeback fees charged to the merchant that can't be disputed and also if a merchant exceeds a certain agreed upon chargeback threshold, legal action can be taken against them.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had 3 different cards on my account but I usually only use one. One of these cards is predominantly used by me while the other 2 are used by my parents or siblings if I am not mistaken. All our cards from different banks are linked. I used a card that I usually don't use. My mom saw 2 charges from PlayStation on an account that hasn't had charges from PlayStation in a long time. And my mom has been hyper-vigilant about charges on our cards since my sisters card was stolen this past summer and had over a 1000 dollars worth of purchases that none of us had made.
Well, sorry you have to deal with customer service right now. It's a hassle but you should get your account back.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So since I did a charge back from Walmart. Does that give them the right to take back all the stuff I bought from them over the years.
Thats basically what Sony doing. I can't think of any other company that would get away with that.
Im hoping a hero rises among us and sues the shit out of Sony for pulling this shit.

It bears repeating that *you do not own* the digital content you purchase from stores like PSN, you only have a license to use it. That is the distinction between Sony cancelling your account (your license to use is revoked) and Walmart "taking back the stuff you bought" over the years. Walmart can't do that, because you own those items, you aren't buying a license to use them. An appropriate comparison is if you were leasing a bunch of equipment from Walmart/Home Depot/Rent A Center and your account got cancelled.

Would you be required to return all of the stuff you were leasing when that happened? Yes, you would. You can't "sue the shit" out of Sony for removing your ability to use content you never owned in the first place.

You're concerned about this possibility of chargebacks and compromised accounts causing you to lose all your games? Start buying on physical discs.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It bears repeating that *you do not own* the digital content you purchase from stores like PSN, you only have a license to use it. That is the distinction between Sony cancelling your account (your license to use is revoked) and Walmart "taking back the stuff you bought" over the years. Walmart can't do that, because you own those items, you aren't buying a license to use them. An appropriate comparison is if you were leasing a bunch of equipment from Walmart/Home Depot/Rent A Center and your account got cancelled.

Would you be required to return all of the stuff you were leasing when that happened? Yes, you would. You can't "sue the shit" out of Sony for removing your ability to use content you never owned in the first place.

You're concerned about this possibility of chargebacks and compromised accounts causing you to lose all your games? Start buying on physical discs.

This may be true but it doesn't mean consumers should accept it. Currently it's basically "don't piss us off on some purchase going forward or we'll terminate access to the stuff you already paid for. "

Again, you can get into an Amazon dispute over a TV or whatever and lose access to your Kindle books. It's dumb.

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017

My wife and I share credit card accounts. When I notice something off I ask her about it. If your parents and siblings are knowingly sharing cards why wouldnt your mother have asked first what the charge is before disputing?

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your the one throwing insults out and pretending that sony is against you and everyone should automatically agree with whatever you said and did. That's not how this works and yes your library shouldn't be restricted and hopefully you can get your account back soon but chargebacks are not the solution and this is more on you than anyone else.
I am absolutely not blaming anyone here for what happened. This is entirely my fault and Sony is a shitty ass company for how they handle this. And I don't expect everyone to sympathize with me either. I just did not expect some people to aggressively be assigning blame and fault at me. Just read through some of the comments directed at me or others who have been through a similar situation. I am just pissed at Sony for restricting access to my entire digital library which is the vast majority of my games. I am pissed that they couldn't just take away the games from the disputed charge, limit future purchases or at the very least give me a warning on PS4 messages and my email informing me of the chargeback and giving me some time to sort it out before suspending my account. It's sad to see so many people defending how they handle this issue.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I have this CRAZY idea.

If someone does a charge back on a digital item, you just revoke their license / ownership of it.

That way, on purpose or not, they now no longer have that item. You don't lock them out from their entire account.

If they do it twice in a row, ok, lock them out and require a new card/payment source that isn't a credit card on their account.

Three strikes and they're out. 🤷‍♂️ (<---- and I'm very iffy about that...you don't take everything someone paid for if they mess up or don't pay for/want something/it could be a mistake, that's trash)

Last edited:

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Nah, I agree with them. Gamers are way too into the companies and defend them with everything they got. There's nothing ok with sony or any other company banning you for a chargeback. They should revoke the access from that game only and not from everything else.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I have this CRAZY idea.

If someone does a charge back on a digital item, you just revoke their license / ownership of it.

That way, on purpose or not, they now no longer have that item. You don't lock them out from their entire account.

If they do it twice in a row, ok, lock them out and require a new card/payment source that isn't a credit card on their account.

Three strikes and they're out. 🤷‍♂️
This is more a situation of OP using someone else's card and they contested the charge, so the card company and Sony treated it like OP was a credit card scammer, so the entire account was shut down. OP just needs to contact support and straighten it out.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This may be true but it doesn't mean consumers should accept it. Currently it's basically "don't piss us off on some purchase going forward or we'll terminate access to the stuff you already paid for. "

Some consumers have accepted it, and have determined that this risk is "not a big deal" in exchange for the convenience. Until it happens to them. Again, this possibility is brought up in every digital vs. physical thread on this site when they occur, and the consensus is "so what." Until we get threads like this one.

If you're not comfortable with the possibility of loss of the content you paid for, discs are right there.

Again, you can get into an Amazon dispute over a TV or whatever and lose access to your Kindle books. It's dumb.

Yes, because you don't own those Kindle books. Amazon does. There was (if I recall) an incident where amazon did not have the proper rights to a book or said book's rights expired, so they deleted it from every Kindle that had it whether the account was in good standing or not.

edit: amusingly it was Orwell's "1984" and "animal farm" https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

Sony previously had a store called PSMobile that was available on phones and the Vita that sold small bite sized games. PSmobile wasn't working out for them, so they simply canceled the store and all of the content on it. It didn't matter if your account was in good standing or not, all of your PSmobile content you purchased is permanently gone and inaccessible. That's their right- because you don't own digital content. Sony does and decides when and how you have access to it.

Until the law around this changes (and I don't see this happening anytime soon) this is the risk you run with digital content.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well yeah you cancel the service/product the chargeback is for. Doesn't justify them withdrawing access to the games you've given them money for.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
I disagree completely. A reasonable approach doesn't include locking previously purchased content.

It's one thing to "stop work" and another to screw you out of things previously purchased.

They aren't screwing anyone out of previous purchases. In the eyes of Sony, the account is now compromised. Someone did a chargeback for purchase on the account. Is the account compromised? Is the account using a stolen card? Sony doesn't know that. The safest, least expensive, option for all parties is to lock out the account. Seems like you're able to get back the account after talking to support.

This is just Sony protecting the account user, banks, card holder, payment processors, and themselves. Which is a smart move for everyone.

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I share credit card accounts. When I notice something off I ask her about it. If your parents and siblings are knowingly sharing cards why wouldnt your mother have asked first what the charge is before disputing?
The answer to your question is in the post you quoted. Just read carefully. There is zero chance that I am going to blame my mom for any of this shit.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Some consumers have accepted it, and have determined that this risk is "not a big deal" in exchange for the convenience. Until it happens to them. Again, this possibility is brought up in every digital vs. physical thread on this site when they occur, and the consensus is "so what." Until we get threads like this one.

If you're not comfortable with the possibility of loss of the content you paid for, discs are right there.

Yes, because you don't own those Kindle books. Amazon does. There was (if I recall) an incident where amazon did not have the proper rights to a book or said book's rights expired, so they deleted it from every Kindle that had it whether the account was in good standing or not.

Sony previously had a store called PSMobile that was available on phones and the Vita that sold small bite sized games. PSmobile wasn't working out for them, so they simply canceled the store and all of the content on it. It didn't matter if your account was in good standing or not, all of your PSmobile content you purchased is permanently gone and inaccessible. That's their right- because you don't own digital content. Sony does and decides when and how you have access to it.

Until the law around this changes (and I don't see this happening anytime soon) this is the risk you run with digital content.

I get the feeling I could read your words all day and never agree with it so will leave it at that.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is if the account is tied to credit card fraud, which is what the chargeback was for.
So if you've bought 100 games, then someone gets access to your PSN account and fraudulently buys a FUT pack or something for which you charge back, they are justified in locking you out of your 100 games permanently?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So if you've bought 100 games, then someone gets access to your PSN account and fraudulently buys a FUT pack or something for which you charge back, they are justified in locking you out of your 100 games permanently?
Yes, if the account is using stolen credit cards to buy things. Sony has no way of knowing if those 100 other games were from stolen cards as well or not. Basically, as far as Sony can tell that account owner is a credit card thief until they contact customer support and explain otherwise. You're using Sony's platform, they have to protect themselves from litigation as well. They can't just let accounts tied directly to credit card fraud to stay active, that would make them complicit in future thefts.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020

I don't think that is permanent. Just need to contact support and get ownership of the account. Sony locking the account out is exactly the right move. The account was compromised. Imagine if they didn't and the fraudster just kept buying stuff?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Support will probably give you your account back if you agree to reverse everything and explain yourself, but their reaction is totally expected really.

A chargeback is not a dumb mistake.
A chargeback is a nuclear option you are only supposed to use against dishonest stores, thieves and scammers only after all other negotiation options are exhausted and you are fine with ending all relations with the merchant, slap him with a fee on top of taking your money back and burn bridges..

Would you keep providing a service (guess what psn access and you licences are ?) to someone who stole from you, damaged your banking reputation metrics and slapped you with a fee on top of it ?, them neither.

And that is without even considering that locking out a suspected compromised account is also the right thing to do anyway.

May 19, 2020
consumer: wow this digital future is so convenient, i can get anything and not have to go to the store! i'm going to buy a ton! thanks corporation!
also consumer: man fuck corporation they took all my stuff away i didn't actually own, i wonder if i had anything to do with supporting this practice in a financial capacity.

really makes you think

Status
Not open for further replies.