• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Damn OP....can't be fucking around with those chargebacks. hope you get your account back. Just keep one card on your account bext time(why on earth would you have you mom's card on there!?!?)

Oct 25, 2017
It's rather annoying when people just jump to calling it hand waving when you are just stating that most companies operate this way with digital accounts.

Indeed. this whole you're either with or against has gotten tiring especially when somewhere like the "middle" is now seen as a terrible terrible place.

Ah okay, I thought I was going crazy. More consumer protections is good for all of us.

Yea I can see how that can be frustrating...

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Who cares if it's his own fault. People make mistakes.

call me not being empathetic enough all you want but even though this is a valid reason ("People make mistakes"), it's not a valid excuse.

Giving people a pass on mistakes will only allow the same person to continue making the same mistakes.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
you should never resort to a chargeback unless it's with someone you don't plan on ever doing business with again.
LMAO, what? My credit card got cloned around 3 months ago and someone used it and spent more and $1000 on it and I only discovered when the bill came. I shouldn't have requested a charge back? Should I have paid, blocked the card and moved on? Do you people live in the real world?

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry your account was suspended for a perfectly valid reason.

protecting people from fraud is not anti-consumer

you should be able to resolve it if the customer service will listen
The anti customer part is locking you from all your stuff. No matter what company does it yes it is anti customer. If I'm locked out of my account that has Thousands of dollars of content for a charge back on a $15 charge that's fucked up.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO, what? My credit card got cloned around 3 months ago and someone used it and spent more and $1000 on it and I only discovered when the bill came. I shouldn't have requested a charge back? Should I have paid, blocked the card and moved on? Do you people live in the real world?
Your credit card company doesn't have systems in place for this?

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Why would you need to request a chargeback for theft? Lmao

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
call me not being empathetic enough all you want but even though this is a valid reason ("People make mistakes"), it's not a valid excuse.

Giving people a pass on mistakes will only allow the same person to continue making the same mistakes.
What? No one is allowed to make mistakes and learning from them? How do you think people learn? How do you think the process of learning works? How do you think children grow?

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I don't see any grey area here. It is unreasonable to lock all previous purchases because of a dispute over a single purchase.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So I don't have to pay for what I haven't bought?
What they mean is, in that case you call the credit card company, tell them the card was stolen and what charges you didn't do, and they take care of it as a case of credit card theft while issuing you a new card. You shouldn't use the chargeback system in such a case.

Unless that's what you meant?

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
How do people don't know what chargebacks are? Do you think you're condemned to pay for whatever is bought if you card is, say, cloned by a third party? I can request chargebacks with a couple of clicks through my CC's app, not that I've ever had to.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Happened to me too a long time ago, it's their policy I believe, you chargeback and they will permanently suspend you.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying you want to continue letting the thief take your money? You should really reread that.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
As others have said, the response from Sony should not be to completely nuke their games library on their account. Steam doesn't do this, Microsoft doesn't do this, don't see why Sony should be given a free pass.

I had something similar happen a few years ago before I knew Sony's asinine policy I disputed a charge because I thought I bought a single year of Plus but I was charged twice. So I called my card company and had the 2nd charge cancelled. My PSN was banned, lost everything, however I called Sony and they let me just charge the amount again and I got the account back. Wasn't that happy they didn't let me just not have to buy the 2nd year, but it was worth not losing years of stuff.

It also helped justify me never going digital for games unless they don't have a physical version, fuck losing everything you actually paid for, for something like that.
I actually had this happen to me a few years ago. My account was set up for auto renewal and on the day of renewal I noticed that my credit card was charged twice. Clearly not right, I decided to contact Sony support, explained what happened and the rep on the phone said, and I shit you not, "I can give you a one-time PSN store credit as a favor". Sony charged my credit card twice, yet they insist that Sony are doing me a favor by giving me a PSN store credit. This was an absolute kick in the pants as I seldom purchased items on the PSN store apart from the subscription and some DLC. I ended up having this credit on the account for years. In fact, I think I still have a few dollars left 😂.

Safe to say I no longer keep my credit cards on PSN and only use PSN gift cards when needed. In fact, this experience soured me so much on the PSN service that it prompted me to cancel my PSN Plus membership a year later. Haven't been a PSN Plus member since.

So while the OP may have this sorted, there are absolutely reasons why someone may want to charge back to Sony. I would argue what Sony did to me was fraud, yet my only course of action is to dispute this fraud by issuing a charge back, thus losing my account in the process or play ball.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The real problem is that credit card companies have these retailers by the balls. Chargebacks are very expensive to deal with, and too many fucks up their account with these companies. And nobody has any leverage, because what are you going to do, not accept Visa?

Sony should have a better system in place to discourage chargebacks than straight-up nuking accounts, but people should also realize how much the card companies should be blamed for putting the fear of god into these retailers to begin with.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Why would you need to request a chargeback for theft? Lmao

You typically don't need to.

Credit Card Fraud protections are in place and a providing credit card company usually freezes your card with an investigation on said fraudulent charges. Usually this means your current card is replaced with a new one but at least none of your accounts are locked out or frozen because of it and most of the time the charges are rescinded and won't have a negative effect in regards to your account standing.

The only inconvenience is if you had any recurring payments tied to that card, they'll be declined and you'll need to tie your replacement card for those to continue.

The minor inconvenience of not being able to use your credit card for a week or so until you get a replacement far outweighs the negatives of ignoring it and letting some stranger continue to make rampant charges on your compromised credit card.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

that's actual fraud. I should have specified. People often use chargebacks in situations where a purchase is in dispute but not fraudulent.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
lol @ all the people in this thread centering how the situation reflects on Sony, like whether it makes them look good or bad is the operating question here

Sony will be fine, either way, it's the OP who is actually affected by suddenly seeing their account banned, being quite confused and flustered, and now probably feeling some mixture of anger at the consequences of a pretty innocent mistake and intellectual recognition of Sony's reasoning behind the relevant policy

and yeah, you can simultaneously understand that Sony's response here is pretty common and think that maybe there are better ways to handle this that don't leave a consumer wondering why they're locked out from playing all their games, Sony-specific issue or not

Indeed. this whole you're either with or against has gotten tiring especially when somewhere like the "middle" is now seen as a terrible terrible place.

this is tangential, but I'd say my reasoning above could be classified as a "middle position"

the middle is pretty often a terrible place to be, though, and putting it on a pedestal is quite bad

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Hey op, pretty sure I remember people being in this situation and getting their account back by essentially paying Sony back via same or new card. Good luck.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
If a customer demonstrated a pattern of chargebacks then maybe I can see the reason for a permanent ban/suspension. But after only one time is absolutely brutal and anti-consumer. Not to mention, someone could get hacked. Regardless, something like a three strikes policy with better communication along the way with the account owner should be a must for Sony moving forward.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this about? I bought a PS5, do I get access to PSN collection for a certain amount of time for free?
there was a story a while ago about some people getting the collection for more than 50 people on their account or something like that and getting banned. you don't have to worry about that if you aren't doing that on a mass scale. those people were charging people to get them the games for their accounts with their ps5.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly can't believe anyone would defend this practice from Sony. I can understand why they'd want to discourage this behavior but, at the very least, they should give you a pass with a warning on the first occurrence.

IMO, locking you out of all your purchases should never be the end result unless you were doing something criminal.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thread title is wrong. OP didn't get banned because of a chargeback but because of committing fraud. He isn't the one who did the chargeback. The card didn't belong to him. His mom did the chargeback and rightly so! She didn't authorize this purchase or give her son permission to use the card.

Yes, the OP didn't know whose card he was using, btw never use a card that you don't know who it belongs to, and was being ignorant and careless.

OP i hope you learn from this and be less careless. And get your act together and sort out whose is whose card.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Honestly can't believe anyone would defend this practice from Sony. I can understand why they'd want to discourage this behavior but, at the very least, they should give you a pass with a warning on the first occurrence.

IMO, locking you out of all your purchases should never be the end result unless you were doing something criminal.

Most companies I've ever dealt with nuke your account from orbit and ban you if you do a chargeback, due to it being fraud. So I doubt you'll get a pass on a first occurrence for that reason alone.

Locking someone out of the content they already bought should be changed, but likely you'll still be banned from playing online, accessing PSN, etc.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Hope you can work it out OP. Know the accounts you use when you do digital purchases

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Situations like this are why I never save credit card info. I always buy codes and redeem them.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
The thread title is wrong. OP didn't get banned because of a chargeback but because of committing fraud. He isn't the one who did the chargeback. The card didn't belong to him. His mom did the chargeback and rightly so! She didn't authorize this purchase or give her son permission to use the card.

Yes, the OP didn't know whose card he was using, btw never use a card that you don't know who it belongs to, and was being ignorant and careless.

OP i hope you learn from this and be less careless. And get your act together and sort out whose is whose card.
Kids use their parents' credit cards constantly for digital purchases. Not to mention families let people use cards for digital purposes for gift giving etc within families. Again, Sony needs to put in place a three strikes policy with dedicated support channels to assess how and why the chargeback occurred so they can best communicate to the account owner why they shouldn't do this and what steps they can take to make sure it doesn't happen again. It's not fucking hard.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
Most companies I've ever dealt with nuke your account from orbit and ban you if you do a chargeback, due to it being fraud. So I doubt you'll get a pass on a first occurrence for that reason alone.

Locking someone out of the content they already bought should be changed, but likely you'll still be banned from playing online, accessing PSN, etc.
I'm just saying... Sony needs to do better in the customer service department, and this policy is a prime example of it. I've only ever personally had to resort to a chargeback a few times in my life, but I wasn't blacklisted by the companies I succeeded in securing one from. I would never dare attempt one with Sony, which I guess is their intent, but the few times I've actually needed customer service over the years it's only ever been frustrating.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Kids use their parents' credit cards all the time. Again, Sony needs to put in place a three strikes policy with dedicated support channels to assess how and why the chargeback occurred so they can beat communicate to the account owner why LN they shouldn't do this and what steps they can take to make sure it doesn't happen again. It's not fucking hard.
I mean, as already posted Sony does have a support form for an customer to pay back the fees and get their account working again:
Has this already been posted? You can very easily pay back the debt here:

How to reverse a PSN suspension for account debt

If your payment method has had a charge reversed on a PlayStation™Store purchase, this can result in your account being restricted from accessing PlayStation™Network (PSN).

Back in the day, we called this "friendly fraud", aka fraud committed by a family member or known person.

But I'll certainly agree Sony needs to be better in so many ways when it comes to customer service and digital ownership (such as with refunds).

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Good luck OP. I've never been in this situation but I have had pretty good luck with Sony customer service over the last 10 years or so with multiple refunded games and subscriptions. I do think their support staff is down in numbers due to COVID so be prepaired.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, most companies do not fuck around with chargebacks. That's because they can carry serious penalties for the vendor with financial institutions; in some extreme cases they can get them labeled as fraud-suspicious by a bank. Put one sub fee in jeopardy and it's whatever, but put lots of sub fees in jeopardy all at once and they will take drastic action against you.

A friend of mine earned herself a permanent ban from Final Fantasy XIV for this very reason. She appealed to Square-Enix and they told her they wouldn't reverse the ban because her one chargeback got them in trouble with her bank.

Always make sure your account doesn't go negative in between when a charge is authorized and when it hits your account, people. Always make sure the money is there or that you cancel beforehand if you can't afford it.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Only use god damn PSN cards with PSN.
Yup. Ever since that breach in...2011?...I've never put in my credit card info on my consoles. PS Plus, Netflix, etc I get off Amazon or something. Is it really that inconvenient to purchase x-amount off Amazon and wait two seconds to get that digital code?? Not saying the Amazons are 100% secure fortresses, but the less places that have my card info, the better.

Good luck, OP.

Oct 25, 2017
this is tangential, but I'd say my reasoning above could be classified as a "middle position"

the middle is pretty often a terrible place to be, though, and putting it on a pedestal is quite bad

To clarify i not putting it on a pedestal either, just making an observation on how it is now seen as a bad thing to form an opinion based on differing viewpoints *shrug*

But lets not go too off topic haha

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
TIL Sony can just straight up remove access to content you already paid for. That's bonkers.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
IIRC only company that doesn't anymore is Valve and you still cant do anything further on your Steam account if it happens but you do keep your purchases.

The only permanent change is the blacklisting of the payment account/method used; all of the other restrictions either auto-expire after nine weeks or are immediately lifted if you elect to reverse the chargeback (not my image):

vPP5BJg.png

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I try to not use my card on PSN if I can avoid it and also just a reminder that this is standard practice across the industry. So Microsoft, Nintendo and Steam can ban your account if you do a change back but Steam is the only one that won't immediately jump towards banning your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.