• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
People should not be cheering this on. Sure OP wasn't careful, but Sony is way too heavy handed with this shit. Could be tens of thousands of dollars.

this is for any digital storefront - PSN, Steam, XBLA. Yes, it's absolutely terrible.
Oh, maybe not this case after the specifics, but if someone hacks my info and buy stuff on any platform I hope they get banned permanently.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I hope you get things worked out OP.

Some people in here really enjoy to stir things up. Calm down people.. not everything needs to become a meme.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony support has definitely been short staffed since Covid, may have better luck using their chat support. It's not 24/7, think the chat link only appears when it's during their working hours on the support page.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is how effectively all online services function, video game related or not. Sony would wildly out of the aisle if they weren't doing this for some reason.
I hear you but when we're talking about digital ownership of thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars worth of digital goods, there is no reason why it can't be "Account suspended pending review" and the onus is on the consumer to clarify the situation.

As I said in my post, I agree it's all the storefronts... it just really, really shouldn't be.

Dec 16, 2017
This exact same thing happened to me actually. My parents card was on set to default on my playstation by accident and PS plus auto sub happened, mom charged back because she didn't know what it was and was in same situation. All I had to do was call customer support and pay the cost of the subscription, might take a day or two though.
This thread should be the OP posting what happened, your response, his thanking you and then later an update saying it got sorted out. Who knows how many pages this thread will go though?

In OPs defense, I would freak out if I was locked out of my PSN account.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Off-topic slightly but I assume your account could get blocked if you bought PSN credit from somewhere like CDKEYS and there was an issue with the source?

I've read many times that some of these resellers sometimes acquire digital goods questionably.

I avoid places like G2A but I should probably avoid most of these re-sellers just incase.

I'd hate it if my account was gone as I've been digital for over 6 years now with a hell of a lot of money spent.

Has there ever been reports of someone getting their account banned for buying PSN credit from a reseller?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
No they are not, this is how most online markets/services work. The initial response is that this is a fraudulent act. In most one off cases after contacting support to clarify the issue and pay the ban is lifted.
I just really think these ecosystems are unique as it constitutes access to your entire library. I think there needs to be a different solution for misunderstandings like this.

Also, there's no call for the dunking that's going on in the thread.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I think we need to understand that you cant chargeback a product that you eventually have consumed and don't get any penalty.

Someone could play all the games, chargeback and lose only those games. A easy fraud.

I think Sony will charge him and unblock his a count.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any sort of recourse that OP will find? I mean, nobody has time to read the EULA but once the license is violated doesn't that mean he's done? How often do they reverse stuff like this?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any sort of recourse that OP will find? I mean, nobody has time to read the EULA but once the license is violated doesn't that mean he's done? How often do they reverse stuff like this?
seems like in these threads people usually post that Sony lifts the ban. The notion that that might not happen and is subject to some random customer services agent though is pretty crazy

Jan 31, 2018
Can someone who's either a lawyer or super rich (or both) sue Sony and other similar companies in a class action that forces them to cease this blatant anti-consumer trash behavior (god this system sucks)? I know corporations are desperate to maintain that they're only selling a license that can be revoked at anytime but it's crap and people shouldn't tolerate it anymore.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I just really think these ecosystems are unique as it constitutes access to your entire library. I think there needs to be a different solution for misunderstandings like this.

Also, there's no call for the dunking that's going on in the thread.

I think Sony will just charge him again and unblock his account.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's amazing how many fucking people are out here on the Sony Defense Force while I am trying to figure out wtf is going on. I know I recently made 2 separate purchases on PSN recently. My usual credit card did not go through so I ended up using one of the old credit cards that were on my account. Now I don't use the old card anymore and it might be linked to my parents account. I figure it's one of my parents who disputed the charge since I highly doubt the bank did it on it's own. Now I need to find a playstation customer service number that works after I contact my parents. Permanently suspending my account for something like this is absolutely fucking ridiculous. The normal thing to do would be to limit my access to the content of the disputed purchase. Some of ya"ll must have a ton of fucking shares in the company if you don't think this is anti-consumer.
Yo I get that you're frustrated, but calling out people en masse as being part of the "Sony Defense Force" and saying that they are trying to influence Sony's brand for shareholder growth is utterly absurd.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I am glad that this shitty situation gave you an opportunity to be condescending and amused.
As of right now, you've been without your PSN account for, what, an hour? Two?

Yes, the ban is permanent. Until it's not. Yes, dealing with customer service is a pain. But the odds are very, very good that, after you get in touch with customer support, you'll be able to get your account reinstated. This is Sony's way of letting you know: chargebacks are serious, don't fuck around with them. And maybe be a little more careful with your payment methods so you're not accidentally using someone else's credit card without their knowledge.

If you've gone through a week without your Playstation, maybe you can go back into rage mode, but for now, try to realize that this situation is temporary, you've surely still got plenty of avenues of entertainment available to you, everything's okay and a month from now you'll have forgotten this ever happened.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Off-topic slightly but I assume your account could get blocked if you bought PSN credit from somewhere like CDKEYS and there was an issue with the source?

I've read many times that some of these resellers sometimes acquire digital goods questionably.

I avoid places like G2A but I should probably avoid most of these re-sellers just incase.

I'd hate it if my account was gone as I've been digital for over 6 years now with a hell of a lot of money spent.

Has there ever been reports of someone getting their account banned for buying PSN credit from a reseller?

G2A maybe, but haven't heard of issues with cdkeys yet.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Can someone who's either a lawyer or super rich (or both) sue Sony and other similar companies in a class action that forces them to cease this blatant anti-consumer trash behavior (god this system sucks)? I know corporations are desperate to maintain that they're only selling a license that can be revoked at anytime but it's crap and people shouldn't tolerate it anymore.

You think they should allow people buy and play games, get their money back and get away with it?
It's like ask your money back after watch a movie.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I think we need to understand that you cant chargeback a product that you eventually have consumed and don't get any penalty.

Someone could play all the games, chargeback and lose only those games. A easy fraud.

I think Sony will charge him and unblock his a count.

If an account has been active for say 2 years, has a consistent purchase history with no issues and then a transaction is made where a chargeback happens I don't think the account should lose access to all previous purchases.

it makes more sense to just lose access to the item that the chargeback relates to.

If someone is trying to play the system they won't have much attachment to an account anyway, so in that scenario they'd just open another account, purchase more games, chargeback and rinse and repeat.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The situation where you lose access to everything in a moment sucks. No doubt about it. One of the reasons I don't go fully digital. But you did basically commit fraud against your parents. Using someone else's credit card without talking to them first is extremely bad judgement

Mar 2, 2018
I'm sorry this happened to you OP. Seems like an unfortunate situation.

People here are too harsh. I hope you're able to get your account back.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Four (4) things to do for any store account:
  • Don't store your cards information
  • Use 2FA
  • Use gift cards if you can
  • Don't do chargebacks...ever. Doesn't matter if this is Sony or Amazon.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if there's any sort of legalese that'd combat DRM/EULA. I feel like we would have got it by now. And besides, OPs account did violate it from what it sounds like. Can't see how a class action lawsuit would even hold. The whole point of those long ass agreements that nobody reads is so that the company stays out of hot water.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A chargeback is you effectively reporting that the merchant has defrauded or scammed you somehow.
They get charged a penalty for it.

You're supposed to contact the company's support first before filing a chargeback

A charge back is a last resort that essentially ends your relationship with that company.

The fact that you lose access to your account isn't good of course.
Yeah I agree companies don't like chargebacks because of the fees, but c'mon now, one chargeback isn't a big enough fee to warrant locking out someone who has spent tons of money on digital purchases.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's end wouldn't detect anything other than just a chargeback and it's just a auto suspension, so just unfortunate really. It should be easy enough to fix though, usually just have to pay for whatever got chargedback and the account is free.

Oh, that's not so bad then. Thought it was permanent.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I just called my mom and this is exactly what happened. At least I know what's happening now and what the reason is. She is gonna try and reverse the charge back by calling the bank. But I still have no clue how to get in contact with PlayStation customer service. I filled out the chargeback form thing before calling my mom. I hope they reverse this shit. Almost my entire library is digital and I can't even play offline games. And I had a few days off too. This freaking sucks. And now people here saying my thread title is a lie even though I had not fucking idea why I was suspended when I posted this thread.

I figured this was the case. Yeah I would call PlayStation and explain the situation and pay whatever was charged backed and you should get your account back.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This is a pretty shitty situation for the OP so it feels unfair for people to be jumping on them. They didn't intentionally chargeback PS, and it's pretty scary being told your digital account is banned, when you don't understand why.

Seems like this will likely get overturned, so this is a case of the OP learning a lesson, and a happy ending when this gets sorted.

Dec 15, 2017
Charge backs arent always bad, thats for sure.

I ordered some 4k movies recently from sunshine records in Canada.

I qualified for free shipping.

Apparently I wasnt supposed to because im in the Yukon, so after my package had already shipped, they said they would need to charge me an extra $54.

They said if I didnt want that, I could arrange a return.

I threatened them with a charge back straight away. I am not taking my time to arrange a return and if you charge the extra shipping, Ill do a charge back immediately.

They relented the same day with a long apology that once the issue made it to management, it was an absurd proposition by the employee.

I dont think Id ever risk my PSN account though, Id have to take my lumps if I got screwed.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
If an account has been active for say 2 years, has a consistent purchase history with no issues and then a transaction is made. where a chargeback happens I don't think the account should lose access to all previous purchases.

it makes more sense to just lose access to the item that the chargeback relates to.

You just described a fraud mechanism. When mistakes happen, like OPs, customer service will give a solution. Charge him for something that he perhaps have played and unblock his account.

There's no way a company of games, movies, music or any fast consumable product allow this.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree companies don't like chargebacks because of the fees, but c'mon now, one chargeback isn't a big enough fee to warrant locking out someone who has spent tons of money on digital purchases.

It isn't about the fee, I think.

It is a about the bank notifying Sony that someone is using their customer's (moms) money and credit card, effectively breaking the law and trying to steal money. You just cannot have any tolerance for this.

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you to all the nice people here with supportive comments. At the end of the day this is not a huge deal. I am confident that this misunderstanding will be cleared once I get in touch with PlayStation customer service. I just hope it's sooner than later. I am not at all surprised that there are some people here who are more interested in assigning fault and blame. Not even a least bit surprised that some people are more pissed at the misleading title(which is my fault since I jumped the gun before figuring things out myself) than they are at for Sony nuking my account over a misunderstanding. They could have limited my access to the games from the disputed charge. My mom had no why PlayStation was charging her. And my loving mom has no problem paying either after I discussed what happened with her. And I didn't even know the old credit card I used could have been my parents. This whole account ban was a surprise to me. But how some of you react here is no surprise at all. Again, thank you to all the supportive people her and my sincerest apologies for sharing my frustration over something so insignificant. There are much more pressing concerns on this forum. Like how so many fucking people got duped into supporting and defending a MAGA asshat at the expense of the transgender community.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
It isn't about the fee, I think.

It is a about the bank notifying Sony that someone is using their customer's (moms) money and credit card, effectively breaking the law and trying to steal money. You just cannot have any tolerance for this.

Or someone is buying a game, playing it, and one week later taking the money back. Playing for free if there's no consequencies.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I get them not liking chargebacks, but this policy is absolutely insane. Limit the account, but don't lock people out of the games they have already purchased. If there were more game journalists who were worth their salt out there they would hold some feet to the fire and make Sony uncomfortable about this policy. I am sure they wouldn't want consumers to be concerned about the safety of their games when going digital.

Also, the people being snide and condescending in here should really take a step back. The TC was clearly stressed and I don't see how kicking them when they are down is particularly helpful. It seems like an innocent mistake occurred and now they are paying for it with an abundance of inconvenience.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hopefully you get this sorted OP.

This is what concerns me with a digital only future. One small mistake and you can't access your library.

Hopefully companies will someday change their stance on it all.

I get them not liking chargebacks, but this policy is absolutely insane. Limit the account, but don't lock people out of the games they have already purchased. If there were more game journalists who were worth their salt out there they would hold some feet to the fire and make Sony uncomfortable about this policy. I am sure they wouldn't want consumers to be concerned about the safety of their games when going digital.

Also, the people being snide and condescending in here should really take a step back. The TC was clearly stressed and I don't see how kicking them when they are down is particularly helpful. It seems like an innocent mistake occurred and now they are paying for it with an abundance of inconvenience.
Exactly.

It was mentioned that Valve changed their stance on this, so hopefully the others are pushed to as well. It's ridiculous, especially as physical games will soon be a thing of the past.

Aug 30, 2020
It's really only scary if they suspend someone for failed capture. Charge-backs mean you the consumer are actively trying to get captured funds back. There's appropriate times and places for it, but it's a nuclear option. Still Sony should offer a recourse to set your account right. (I don't know if you do this more than say, 3 times, or if you ever do a charge back for an address / name completely unrelated to your own)

I had heard that Sony sometimes does suspend people for failed captures, but that's 100% Sony's fault. If they grant you a digital license without a successful capture, well they're not doing it right.

I was afraid of the latter happening to me once, but at least now they seem to have automatic capture re-attempts (which is baseline competence for a digital goods store).

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I had something similar happen a few years ago before I knew Sony's asinine policy I disputed a charge because I thought I bought a single year of Plus but I was charged twice. So I called my card company and had the 2nd charge cancelled. My PSN was banned, lost everything, however I called Sony and they let me just charge the amount again and I got the account back. Wasn't that happy they didn't let me just not have to buy the 2nd year, but it was worth not losing years of stuff.

It also helped justify me never going digital for games unless they don't have a physical version, fuck losing everything you actually paid for, for something like that.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
That stinks. Hopefully it gets sorted. I can't believe don't restricts all access. Seems a bit overkill

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

I think it is a fair antifraud mechanism. OP will lose access for his account for a couple of days and a fraud of playing games and get refunded is avoided.

Lot of people is over reacting because someone need to call customer service.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It's neither pro or anti-consumer, it's anti-fraud.

We'd all like a personal call from businesses so we can explain our situation but it's not the 1950s, Sony has 100 million customers and if you commit fraud from their perspective they shut your account down until proven otherwise.
The Sony response is ridiculous. For a one time charge back they should just revoke access to the game. If there is a pattern they should just remove access to purchase. Removing full access to your library that you paid for should never happen. Complete bullshit that companies can do this.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully you can get this sorted. I imagine things like this could happen by mistake pretty easily. Like for instance my gf and I often interchange cards on our PSN accounts, and she would probably do a charge back on something she didn't recognise without even thinking.

This actually makes me worry about it. I'm going to delete the card from my account for now.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Hopefully you get this sorted OP.

This is what concerns me with a digital only future. One small mistake and you can't access your library.

Hopefully companies will someday change their stance on it all.

Exactly.

It was mentioned that Valve changed their stance on this, so hopefully the others are pushed to as well. It's ridiculous, especially as physical games will soon be a thing of the past.

If you lose the access only on what is on dispute, why anyone woundnt chargeback after finish the game?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
While I agree Sony should have mechanisms to resolve this situation once contacted (and I hope the OP gets their account back), what a chargeback is telling Sony is that the user in question has committed fraud, and is illegally using someone else's credit card. It's understandable they would want to lock out that user's access to Sony services.

It's a serious thing, not just because of the costs to Sony.

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is a fair antifraud mechanism. OP will lose access for his account for a couple of days and a fraud of playing games and get refunded is avoided.

Lot of people is over reacting because someone need to call customer service.
A few days is fine. But when this happened to me because I bought a digital code for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 off someone that then did a chargeback it took almost 2 months to get access to my account again. That's unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.