• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously? That's nuts and very anticonsumer.
A chargeback is you effectively reporting that the merchant has defrauded or scammed you somehow.
They get charged a penalty for it.

You're supposed to contact the company's support first before filing a chargeback

A charge back is a last resort that essentially ends your relationship with that company.

The fact that you lose access to your account isn't good of course.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
don't buy digital folks

just kidding, don't commit fucking small time fraud

There are valid reasons for doing a chargeback hence the apparatus to do one exists in the first place. I have done so on occassions where a retailer does not act within consumer law (i.e refusing to take responsibility for damage during transit) as should anyone else in such a situation.

It can be abused but contrary to popular belief chargebacks in general are used fairly and correctly and with good reason

Is this the case here? If anything it sounds like an account hack or identify theft in which case it is absolutely valid - Sony outright banning people with no access to their prior purchases is a disgrace. They should at least work with the consumer and investigate the matter instead of simply banning everyone because they don't want to dedicate sufficient resources to their customer services to actually look into these things first

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
It could be the card holder has locked the card. I've had this where I thought I've bought something fine and then I've got an email saying the order was cancelled. Check online backing and everything looks good, call the bank and they say they put the card on hold due to a suspicious amount of purchases.

No notification or obvious way to see it's on hold. They did say they would have eventually called me but fuck knows when that would have been and I don't answer unknown callers on my mobile anyway. Maybe something similar?

So...call your bank, call Sony, lawyer up, hit the gym.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
A chargeback is you effectively reporting that the merchant has defrauded or scammed you somehow.
They get charged a penalty for it.

You're supposed to contact the company's support first before filing a chargeback

A charge back is a last resort that essentially ends your relationship with that company.

The fact that you lose access to your account isn't good of course.
I'm aware how chargebacks work. The penalty seems insane, though.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked my email and it said my account has been suspended for chargeback. I don't know what that means.
my guess is you either went to your card company to get your money back after not being able to get a refund for something from Sony, or you bought/received a gift card from some random person who then did a chargeback on their credit card for the gift card purchase

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ahhhh, the sweet sweet digital future again.

No matter if accidentally or purposely charged back, reading stuff like this always scares me to death, how easy it is to lose your account.

Just have one single problem, once, like someone went into your account to do shit, someone stole your credit card and idk maxed it out or so or you immediately shut it down even but a very badly timed psn purchases just went through, or you payed something via bank account and it wasn't enough money on it or any other error. One mistake, poof, gone.

Frightening.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Didn't we have this thread a month ago, a few times actually

extremely vague OP
"I GOT BANNED FOR NO REASON"
"IT SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT A CHARGE BACK I DID NO SUCH THING"
"oh yes actually I did do a credit card dispute"

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
So OP said no reason, there was a reason. Thread title is an outright lie.

Also, since PS3 days it is common knowledge chargeback gets your account banned ... don't do it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. A chargeback is only possible if you ask for it, right? The bank can't just do that on its own?

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Ahhhh, the sweet sweet digital future again.

No matter if accidentally or purposely charged back, reading stuff like this always scares me to death, how easy it is to lose your account.

Just have one single problem, once, like someone went into your account to do shit, someone stole your credit card and idk maxed it out or so or you immediately shut it down even but a very badly timed psn purchases just went through, or you payed something via bank account and it wasn't enough money on it or any other error. One mistake, poof, gone.

Frightening.

Two factor exists on PSN, don't have it enabled and its your fault.

Also if your CC has been stolen, freezing the card will not stop legitimate transactions unless you tell them to. You have to dispute transactions if fraudulent.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
sidenote, has anyone ever had a permanent ban of a PSN account reversed?

I have an account which was permanently banned years ago. My fault, I accidentally logged the PSN account into a Vita I had been tinkering with. But it was nonetheless astonishing to me that thousands of dollars of legit purchase went up in smoke for this single infraction.

I'd love to get the account back, if only for some of the delisted PS3 purchases I had made on it. If anyone has had any luck at all, I'm curious what your approach with customer support was, please PM me.

May 19, 2020
sidenote, has anyone ever had a permanent ban of a PSN account reversed?

I have an account which was permanently banned years ago. My fault, I accidentally logged the PSN account into a Vita I had been tinkering with. But it was nonetheless astonishing to me that thousands of dollars of legit purchase went up in smoke for this single infraction.

I'd love to get the account back, if only for some of the delisted PS3 purchases I had made on it. If anyone has had any luck at all, I'm curious what your approach with customer support was, please PM me.
translation: he logged into PSN on a hacked vita and got banned

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm waiting for OP to charge back into this thread with an update

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Two factor exists on PSN, don't have it enabled and its your fault.

Also if your CC has been stolen, freezing the card will not stop legitimate transactions unless you tell them to. You have to dispute transactions if fraudulent.

Sure, you're correct about everything, but still, mistakes can happen, specially if you use like 3 different payment options like paypal, credit card, bank account, it's always possible that something fucks something up, even by error or mistake.
If anything happens, no matter how small the chance is, you're on the wrong end and can most likely do nothing about it.

May 19, 2020
i can't speak for every bank but you either have to call the bank customer service directly for the chargeback or you go through like a multi-step process if they allow you to do it online. my bank is like 3 steps and they make you confirm it before you hit the point of no return.

so basically the OP played himself and either doesn't understand or is acting stupid on purpose to make it a consumer outrage issue

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how many fucking people are out here on the Sony Defense Force while I am trying to figure out wtf is going on. I know I recently made 2 separate purchases on PSN recently. My usual credit card did not go through so I ended up using one of the old credit cards that were on my account. Now I don't use the old card anymore and it might be linked to my parents account. I figure it's one of my parents who disputed the charge since I highly doubt the bank did it on it's own. Now I need to find a playstation customer service number that works after I contact my parents. Permanently suspending my account for something like this is absolutely fucking ridiculous. The normal thing to do would be to limit my access to the content of the disputed purchase. Some of ya"ll must have a ton of fucking shares in the company if you don't think this is anti-consumer.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa. A chargeback is only possible if you ask for it, right? The bank can't just do that on its own?
They can block a transaction if they find it suspicion (usually more by you just spending lots) or just by mistake sometimes, which can trigger a chargeback. It's rare, but can happen.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
It's amazing how many fucking people are out here on the Sony Defense Force while I am trying to figure out wtf is going on. I know I recently made 2 separate purchases on PSN recently. My usual credit card did not go through so I ended up using one of the old credit cards that were on my account. Now I don't use the old card anymore and it might be linked to my parents account. I figure it's one of my parents who disputed the charge since I highly doubt the bank did it on it's own. Now I need to find a playstation customer service number that works after I contact my parents. Permanently suspending my account for something like this is absolutely fucking ridiculous. The normal thing to do would be to limit my access to the content of the disputed purchase. Some of ya"ll must have a ton of fucking shares in the company if you don't think this is anti-consumer.

Not at all, I don't like the fact they lock people out of their purchases.

On the other hand your thread title is an outright lie.

May 19, 2020
They can block a transaction if they find it suspicion (usually more by you just spending lots) or just by mistake sometimes, which can trigger a chargeback. It's rare, but can happen.
a blocked transaction is different from a chargeback which 9 times out of 10 is requested by the customer to dispute fraud. you're talking like super rare 1% gacha shit that bank would mistakenly set a chargeback for a purchase without your input

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
classic resetera. vague OP. people react. OP comes back later mad that people don't know the full story that he just now tells.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
honestly, you should *not* use a cc or paypal on your PSN account. Only buy PSN credit and use that. I used to use my paypal or cc account until I got a bunch of emails saying someone was trying to access my psn (his is pre-2fv) after that I stopped putting my cc and paypal on my account. I just by PSN credit from amazon or someone selling it cheaper on Era and use that.

Oct 25, 2017
This exact same thing happened to me actually. My parents card was on set to default on my playstation by accident and PS plus auto sub happened, mom charged back because she didn't know what it was and was in same situation. All I had to do was call customer support and pay the cost of the subscription, might take a day or two though.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It could be the card holder has locked the card. I've had this where I thought I've bought something fine and then I've got an email saying the order was cancelled. Check online backing and everything looks good, call the bank and they say they put the card on hold due to a suspicious amount of purchases.

No notification or obvious way to see it's on hold. They did say they would have eventually called me but fuck knows when that would have been and I don't answer unknown callers on my mobile anyway. Maybe something similar?

So...call your bank, call Sony, lawyer up, hit the gym.
This is not a chargeback, as the transaction never goes through. Most companies will send you an email to ask you to update your card if they encounter this, since it's pretty common that cards expire before auto-renewal kicks in.

A chargeback is the payer requesting a refund (usually due to a failure of service) after the transaction already went through.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
a blocked transaction is different from a chargeback which 9 times out of 10 is requested by the customer to dispute fraud. you're talking like super rare 1% gacha shit that bank would mistakenly set a chargeback for a purchase
Why I said it's rare, but can happen. OP explained it's not that though and was likely a manual chargeback,, just not by him, so doesn't really matter.

Oct 30, 2017
This is why I want all of my games on cold storage at all times. I do not want to be locked out of my purchases.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017

I am sorry your account was suspended for a perfectly valid reason.

protecting people from fraud is not anti-consumer

you should be able to resolve it if the customer service will listen

Status
Not open for further replies.