• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
My Plantronics Gamecom 780s broke on the headband right above the swivel today, which is apparently a common issue. Anyway, I am looking for a headset to replace it. I tried using my Sony Gold Headset, but the sound quality isn't as good as the Gamecom.

This is for my PC. I don't plan to use it on consoles.

I've been eyeing the following headsets. Does anyone own them?
Wired:
  • Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum
  • CORSAIR - Gaming VOID PRO RGB USB
  • CORSAIR - HS60
  • Astro A40 TR - PC
Wireless:
  • Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum
  • Logitech - G533 ELITE
  • CORSAIR - HS70 SE

Last edited:

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
The Logitech G633 is a decent headset, but the mic quality is lacking. As is the G933's. The HS70 SE feel cheap, I returned mine after owning it for a few days. I'd also say check out the HyperX Cloud II's. Sturdy, great mic quality and are typically rated highly. I love mine.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
If you have nice headphones, get the ModMic 5. I just did this and it sounds fantastic. Incredibly easy setup.

showgazer

Mar 18, 2019
GC 780 is so good cuz of mic... I think you should look for Polk Audio Striker P1 оr Pro ZX
or maybe Red Square Tempest, also good mic

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I would HIGHLY suggest just purchasing a separate headset and mic for your PC. The quality is amazingly better. While not best in any class Audio Technica M50x ($118 at Amazon US) are a great entry level of cans that are FUN and work well with gaming (imo). Pair that with a Modmic ($50) and you've got yourself a good setup for about $175 (US). I personally don't like the stick type mic so I went with a Blue Yeti on an arm ($75 with AC game a year or so ago). Much better than a set of Astro's (I have the A40, I like wires.. better sound quality) but astro's are way over priced for what you get.

OP
OP
BPHusker

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
The Logitech G633 is a decent headset, but the mic quality is lacking. As is the G933's. The HS70 SE feel cheap, I returned mine after owning it for a few days. I'd also say check out the HyperX Cloud II's. Sturdy, great mic quality and are typically rated highly. I love mine.
How do the Logitech mics compare to the Sony Gold Headset mic?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I recently upgraded from a pair of HyperX Cloud II's to a proper headphone + mic combo and I couldn't be happier. For the same sort of money, you're getting better quality sound and mic quality.

Personally, I needed closed-back and picked up the Beyerdynamic DT 770's along with a MocMic 4.0 - much better clarity and positional audio in games. Cost £90 + £40 so roughly the same price as the Logitech G633 without the gamer bells and whistles.

20190401_003244.jpg

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
I don't believe wireless gaming headphones at any price match the quality of a good headphone+mic combo at under $150. You have to judge if the wireless convenience is worth the extra money and missing out on some quality.

In wired solutions:
The Clouds were and are still good value for money, but I personally thought they sounded too muddy to tolerate. In low end of the wired headsets, Coolermaster MH751 has recently been getting very good reviews.
If you go >$100, start considering a combo of good comfy headphones like the DT770 and a USB table mic or Modmic depending on what you find the most usable. I'd be bothered by an extra cord from the Modmic whereas I don't mind broadcasting a little extra keyboard noise from the table mic. Might put it on an arm later for sound isolation. If your headphones have an exposed 3.5mm jack (rare), V-Moda Boompro is a neat solution for a headset without the extra wire of the Modmic.
The Sennheiser Game Ones (and I think the 37X is almost identical?) have quite accurate sound so you're not giving up anything in terms of competitive gaming, but feel a bit thin and not as fun as you can get with separate headphones at similar or somewhat lower price. It's a worry-free solution with excellent usability so it's easy to justify a little extra price and slight compromise on sound.

OP
OP
BPHusker

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
The Wireless CORSAIR - Gaming VOID PRO RGB is on sale at BB for $64.99. I also found a local electronics store is selling the 2019 Arctis 7 for $125. I guess 2 weeks ago it was around $100, so maybe I should wait for that to drop again. I'm between the VOID PRO, the G633, the G933 and the Arctis 7 2019. Someone above said the Arctis 7 is the best. Anyone else agree?

Last edited:

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Audeze Mobius, the only true 3d gaming headset and most unique and probably the only planar headset that will make this list..

mobius.png

cskippy

Apr 5, 2019
Yup, first reply nails it.

I've heard a TON of headphones (not headsets as I think they generally have poor sound quality) and I still reach for my PC37X with ToTL headphones sitting around if I need something with a mic.

I also own a Mobius and prefer the PC37X for it's simplicity and quieter noise floor. Mobius as a 2D headset is pretty good but the 3D is annoying as you can't turn off the head tracking and the center point will drift. There is an auto center option which mostly fixes this but the internal amp hissing was more of an annoyance than the 7.1 virtual surround sound.

Xero

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the Steelseries Arctis 7, light weight, comfy, good battery life and they sound great, you can tweak the sound even further with EQ. My friends have told me that I sound clean and clear while playing. Yes the bass is a little weak but you can enhance it via EQ with the software.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Don't buy gaming headsets. Just don't.

Just order the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless off of Amazon. They're marked down to 100 bucks right now and can be used wired. Get the attachable Boompro mic, and if you need a comfier fit, pick up the XL pads. The members of Overwatch's Seoul Dynasty were using the M-100s as their personal headsets last I checked, and that's the dedicated wired version. Solid cans that are a little bass-heavy, but rather smooth and with a nice soundstage. It's good for gaming and at a good price! And when you're done, you have a pair of really nice wireless headphones to chill with!