• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
So this morning I woke up to a terrible situation. I went into my study, clicked my PC's power button and left to brew a cup of coffee. Went back to the study a few minutes later and noticed my PC was still off. I tried to repeatedly click on the power button to no avail. I tried unhooking the power cable and reconnecting it, no dice. Removed the CMOS battery and waited a few minutes and it didn't work. So I concluded my PSU had died and ordered a new one.

Then I went back into my study a hour ago a noticed my PC was on. It asked me to reboot my BIOS config (on account of the battery being removed), which I did and it's now working properly. I've tried resetting multiple times and it still comes back to life okay. One thing I did notice is that my peripherals take a while to turn on (keyboard and mouse lights), which usually work much earlier on.

Do I have a faulty PSU that is slowly dying off?

Edit: my PSU is a bronze-tiered Corsair CX750 750w that I have owned since 2016.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How long have you had the PSU? Of it's been more than 5 years I'd say it's time for a new one for sure.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
That's very likely the PSU - I had a similar situation last year and had to replace mine.

If you want to be certain you can try using a power supply tester first - they're relatively cheap.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
That does sound like a PSU problem. I would play it safe and wait for the upgrade.

OP
OP
Ctrl Alt Del

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The MOBO and PSU are both equally possible culprits.

Lower chance but still possible is RAM and CPU.

Another strong possibility is one of your peripherals has a short in the cable I've had an HDMI, and Displayport cable all prevent a PC from booting or make it boot unreliably.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
If I buy a PSU and it only lasts me 5 years, I'm probably never buying a PSU from that manufacturer again.

Exactly. I have a 1,000W Cooler Master PSU that I've owned for almost 8 years and it's still going strong. I only recently updated it along with the rest of the system with another 1K PSU with a modular cable design.

Anyone want my old PSU free? LOL (half serious)

OP
OP
Ctrl Alt Del

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The MOBO and PSU are both equally possible culprits.

Lower chance but still possible is RAM and CPU.
I REALLY want it to be the PSU because it's by far the oldest component. Everything else on my PC is from 2019.

Another strong possibility is one of your peripherals has a short in the cable I've had an HDMI, and Displayport cable all prevent a PC from booting or make it boot unreliably.
I did remove all peripherals before removing the CMOS battery (it was obscured by my GPU, which I had to remove too) and it still didn't work. My PC is now on with all the cables put back.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Any lights inside the case flash for a second?

My Computer died when I put it to sleep mode Sunday night. The PSU still powdered on after testing it. The only issue from my PSU is one of the connectors for the case fan was faulty and had to use one of them that work or else my PC refuses to boot. I had the PSU for nearly 4 years.

I'm waiting on a new one, hopefully I get it tomorrow

OP
OP
Ctrl Alt Del

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Any lights inside the case flash for a second?

My Computer died when I put it to sleep mode Sunday night. The PSU still powdered on after testing it. The only issue from my PSU is one of the connectors for the case fan was faulty and had to use one of them that work or else my PC refuses to boot. I had the PSU for nearly 4 years.

I'm waiting on a new one, hopefully I get it tomorrow
No lights when I tried earlier, but it seems to working properly now, been using it all day. I also ordered a new one anyway. If this one holds up, I'll keep it as a spare.