• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Monster

Monster

Monster

Currently watching now, and it's such a well written psychological thriller. It follows a genius surgeon falsely accused of murder while he unravels a twisted past connected to one of his patients. Very mature, very grounded, very suspenseful. It's fully available on youtube dubbed/subbed.
I've only read manga but have heard that the anime is just as good.
It's so good that I'd even recommend it to those who typically hate anime. It's one of a few manga/anime that I don't think will feel out of place at all if they adapt it into a live-action TV series.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually watched it for the first time last week. I've seen Shin-chan on adult swim when I was younger. Always had a fascination with the series. Recently I started reading about the top animated movies in Japan and that Shin-chan movie was on the lists, like near Akira.

Such a great, heartwarming film. I'm going to watch the 10th movie very soon. I hear it's good as the previous.
Yeah, Battle of the Warring States is another bonafide classic, enjoy it. I think it was so well-received, they even made a live-action version of it (with a non-Shin Chan family, but that's no fun!) Of the other films, I'd say the film previous to Adult Empire (Jungle that invites the storm) is pretty okay, definitely ranks 3rd of the three. Unfortunately none of the other 20(!!!) films reach these heights, although they can be pretty fun here and there.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Ping Pong is fantastic.
It doesn't really have many female characters and they play mainly supporting roles. You can certainly see it as a problem with the series, but the more I've thought about it, the more I understand that masculinity and the coming of age of young men is the show's biggest themes. You could say the same for a lot of shows, but I think that Ping Pong really goes deeper with it.

tsef

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to suggest Nadia: the secret of blue water (Fushigi no umi no Nadia)
It's Gainax before Eva, it has captain Nemo, Atlantis cool villains and a nice female hero and a kickass opening

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I'm big into anime but my partner is just now getting into it. So far together we've watched Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Berserk 1997, Space Dandy in full.

We have watched in part: Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, Kaiba, Welcome to the NHK, Tatami Galaxy (subtitles were too fast for her even though it's my favorite), and the first episode of The Promised Neverland.

She says she best liked: Berserk, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Kaiba. She says she also kinda liked Welcome to the NHK but is conflicted on it.
She didn't like: ninja scroll, Gurren Lagann

Ghost in the Shell she was neutral on. She says she wants to rewatch tatami galaxy because she didn't feel she was mentally ready for it. Promised Neverland we just watched the first episode but she said she'd watch more.

I asked her what she wants out of an anime: immersive with characters that can be invested in, psychological themes, distinctive art style
What she doesn't want: Shonen, fanservice

She also placed an emphasis on wanting strong female characters.

All of that said, any recommendations? Films or series are both fine.
Psychological themes, well-written characters, distintive art style, and strong female characters, yet you two haven't watched any Satoshi Kon films or Paranoia Agent?
4gh0jxyi4t061.gif

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Just watch both Fullmetal Alchemist shows.

It's kinda silly to recommend these because everyone loves them, and that includes a bunch of people whose recommendations I'd never listen to but eh, it really is that good.

It's like if you were asking someone what their favorite movie was and they said the Godfather. It's universally beloved so it's hard to see it as someone's personal favorite but some things really can be high-quality pieces of work and loved by tons of people.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've only read manga but have heard that the anime is just as good.
It's so good that I'd even recommend it to those who typically hate anime. It's one of a few manga/anime that I don't think will feel out of place at all if they adapt it into a live-action TV series.

We almost had that one with Del Toro at the helm. If only.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Studio Ghibli is the perfect starting place for anybody looking to get into anime. I converted an anime hater to someone who appreciates it thanks to Studio Ghibli movies.

Oct 31, 2017
Kino's Journey
The Twelve Kingdoms
Bubblegum Crisis
Slayers
Fullmetal panic, fumoffu
Mahoromatic
Dragon half
Blue Seed
Iria Zieram
GTO ( great teacher onizuka)
Princess Nine