• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The new Castlevania series should be right up her alley. Every female friend I had whom seen it, loved it.

If she liked Berserk, Claymore & Hellsing Ultimate are safe bets. Ultimate has some fanservice, but it goes by quickly.

If she liked Bebop, just go with the common recommendations for that time frame. Outlaw Star, Trigun, Eva, Samurai Champloo, etc.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did she give any reason why she didn't like gurren lagann and ninja scroll? Too over the top?

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress ASAP. I'd say Ghibli's stuff too but I'm sure that already has a ton of recommendations.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Finish Cowboy Bebop for sure. Give Samurai Champloo a try too.

I agree with others saying that Mob Psycho 100 is great.
Black Lagoon is not too bad.
Durarara has nice world and character building

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Ping Pong is my usual recommendation for dabblers.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If she liked Berserk she'll like:

71U4JU%2BizYL._SL1500_.jpg

MV5BMmJhODNhZjgtMzk1Ny00MjYwLTlkMWYtZTkzMDJiOTEwNzM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDgyODgxNjE@._V1_UY1200_CR104,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Two of my favorite anime to recommend to new lady watchers are Escaflowne and Noragami. Then watch Satoshi Kon's filmography. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood as well.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
She might find The Night is Short ,Walk On Girl more approachable than The Tatami Galaxy. Same author and same creative team but in movie format.

I'll give some of my usual non-fanservice-y recommendations here:
  • Haibane-Renmei is my all time favorite; it's a beautiful story about coming to terms with life after life (well, we presume). Has a lovely soundtrack, too.
  • Kino's Journey is a set of almost fable-like stories about a traveler with a talking motorcycle visiting different fictional countries for 3 days at a time.
  • Planetes is hard science fiction about garbage collectors in space.
  • A Place Further than the Universe is a show about a group of schoolgirls who make it their mission to go to Antarctica. It actually manages to sell the premise when it could have just been fluff. Also, have tissues handy.
There are also some excellent movies out there. A Silent Voice is a powerful story about the aftermath of school bullying. I've enjoyed most things that Mamoru Hosoda has worked on, but would particularly call out Mirai and Wolf Children as being very good watches. Most everything from Ghibli is worth a watch too, obviously.

(Also: from some of what other folks have mentioned, seconding Mob Psycho 100, Paranoia Agent, Monster, and Land of the Lustrous)

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
re: Mob Psycho - is it finished or will there be more seasons?
The anime currently only goes through like maybe half of the manga's content, but there's been no news or announcements for a third season as of yet, so no idea if or when it'll continue.
Studio BONES has always treated it like a passion project, though, and they've done a lot of longer series so I'm personally hopeful there will be more eventually. >__<🤞

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Strong female leads? Distinctive art style? Characters you get invested in?

Keep Your Hands Off Of Eizouken!

Three high school girls form a school club to make their own anime. Goes super hard into how anime is actually made from all angles and our three main characters all have their own strengths and foibles, along with a very vibrant world.

OP
OP
VISION

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
Since posting this thread, we've started Serial Experiments Lain. It's one of my favorites but I figured it'd be too weird for her. Wouldn't have gave it a shot with her if not for this thread. We're almost halfway through and she's loving it.

Thanks for all the recommendations yall, and keep em coming

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Specifically for someone looking for strong female leads, I really do want to push A Place Further than the Universe. Honestly, it's one of the easier anime out there to recommend to just about anybody.

Here's a great short scene from early in the show as a taste (context: the trio running away were trying to infiltrate a meeting for an Antarctica expedition and got caught)

Jun 22, 2019
Geez I really wanted to like "The Night is Short, Walk On Girl" but the sexual assault stuff played off so lightly and stereotypically as if it was Roshi in Dragonball (and then how the ending treats that character, yikes) just fucking destroyed my ability to enjoy all the other fun whimsy going on. Like WOW did that just kill all the momentum and goodwill the film was building and fail to ever recover from it.

I had been meaning to watch Tatami Galaxy for ages and now I feel apprehensive because I don't want a repeat of that.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I asked her what she wants out of an anime: immersive with characters that can be invested in, psychological themes, distinctive art style
What she doesn't want: Shonen, fanservice

She also placed an emphasis on wanting strong female characters.

Utena, Utena, Utena.

39 episodes. Enter series is available on youtube. Subbed or dubbed.
Dubbed: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrrh84y760v9xDNuOiG6x1DsCG70LVQi7
Subbed: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrrh84y760v-hDEulas0Tp_wiQy0FcjLl

There's also a movie, which is a pretty thorough re-imagining of the story, but you should watch the series first.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jujutsu Kaisen has some really great female characters, awesome animation, great story and totally rewatchable.

oh, and she's definitely gotta watch Miyazaki films

I'd start with Nausicaa, followed by Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, then Spirited Away

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Angelic Layer is an older anime (it's from 2001) about a young girl who gets really into a game involving battle toys, but it's really about her making friends and her search for her mother. It's from CLAMP.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tell her to watch the 12 kingdoms as well.
This x100. It's included with Prime afaik.

Also recommended in more recent fares: 86 Heighty Six (available on crunchy roll). It's hella dark in many ways, but if she might like sci fi with heavy themes (war, discrimination of minorities, utilitarianism...) she might like it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Your Lie in April and Your Name both destroyed me.

Also really highly recommend Yuri on Ice and Carole & Tuesday.

Oct 27, 2017
Cant believe no one has recommended Avatar: Last Airbender. Its fantastic and definitely has strong female characters. HIGHLY recommend.

Jun 17, 2019
Berserk, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Kaiba.

I asked her what she wants out of an anime: immersive with characters that can be invested in, psychological themes, distinctive art style
What she doesn't want: Shonen, fanservice

She also placed an emphasis on wanting strong female characters.

For Berserk: Record of Lodos War, Baccano, Vampire Hunter D
For Space Dandy: Samurai Champloo, Red Line
For Cowboy Bebop: Outlaws Star, Black Lagoon,
For Akira:Steam Boy
For Kaiba: Full Metal Alchemist, Scrapped Princess.

Invested in Characters:
Chihayafuru -female lead lots of drama
Master Keaton, Erased, Anohana, HAL, Boy and his Beast, Wolf's children, Summer Wars, Black Jack (go with the newer series), Moriarty series, Brand new animal, Legend of the Galactic Heroes,
Decadence, Black Lagoon, recent conman anime

Psychological themes:
Spice and Wolf, Monster, Parasite, Blood series, Black Butler (Season 1, Book of Circus, Book of the Atlantic), Shiki

Art Style:
Akayashi, Lupin, The world ends with you, Paradise Kiss, Escaflowne, Shiki,

Female leads:
Sailor Moon Crystal, Escaflowne, Rose of Versailles, Pat Labor, Gintama,

If your looking for the above go after Joseph titles, that would be series for older women.

Also want a laugh, old dub of Ghost stories
I'd also Recommend Avatar the last air bender.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018

Wow surprised to see Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun make one of the lists (Fantasy, should also make Comedy list too honestly). Absolutely fucking love it, every character from the students to the teachers are likeable and it's funny as hell. Seeing Iruma grow and in turn help everyone at the school grow just gives you a warm feeling. It might not have the best animation in comparison to a lot of other good shows nowadays but it's easily one of my recent favorites.

Archaic

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'll try to recommend a few series that haven't already suggested.

• Boogiepop & Others - 2019, streaming on Crunchyroll - Trailer - 2000's Boogiepop Phantom (streaming on Funimation - Subbed Original Trailer, Dubbed HD Trailer), which someone already mentioned, is actually an anime original sidestory to this franchise, with content not in the original novels. Best watching order is probably to watch the first arc (eps 1-3) of this series, then all of Boogiepop Phantom, then the rest of this series.
  • Princess Tutu - 2002, streaming on HIDIVE - (Fansubbed, very old) Trailer
  • Shadows House - 2021, streaming on Funimation - Trailer, OP, ED
  • Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song - 2021, streaming on Funimation - Trailer 1, Trailer 2, OP

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
While Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood sure as hell had many of the shonen trappings, I'd say it's worth a watch anyway. It's definitely not your usual shonen series and the world, characters and mysteries are all fantastic. Easily my favorite anime of all time. Other than that it does sound like she might enjoy Monster or Psycho-Pass.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How old are you willing to go? Because there's a bunch of stuff from before the 90's that's worth searching out, I feel.

Modu5

Nov 15, 2017
Samurai Champloo
Elfen Lied
Planetes
Re:Zero S1 (haven't started S2)
Gundam Iron blooded Orphans
Beck

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MV5BNThmMWMyMWMtOWRiNy00MGY0LTg1OTUtNjYzODg2MjdlZGU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

A stunning film. So many scenes that bring chills to my spine. It's one of the movies that I recommend to everyone.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The anime currently only goes through like maybe half of the manga's content, but there's been no news or announcements for a third season as of yet, so no idea if or when it'll continue.
Studio BONES has always treated it like a passion project, though, and they've done a lot of longer series so I'm personally hopeful there will be more eventually. >__<🤞

Would I be better off just waiting a few years to see if it gets a proper ending? Is there a big cliffhanger that S2 ends on?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song has been pretty good from what I've seen. Interesting premise, great art and strong female lead character.

A Place Further Than The Universe and Chihayafuru may not really fit with what your partner wants aside from immersive and strong female characters (both shows are female-led) but they are just damn good and I'd recommend them any chance I get. They can also be a nice break from the more intense stuffs you're currently watching.

Would I be better off just waiting a few years to see if it gets a proper ending? Is there a big cliffhanger that S2 ends on?
Both seasons wrap themselves up nicely and you'll be perfectly fine and content when a season end. The only reason you will want more is because it's just that good, not because the story feels unfinished.

Oct 25, 2017
Monster

Monster

Monster

Currently watching now, and it's such a well written psychological thriller. It follows a genius surgeon falsely accused of murder while he unravels a twisted past connected to one of his patients. Very mature, very grounded, very suspenseful. It's fully available on youtube dubbed/subbed.

I'll also throw in Erased, another great and short thriller about a man thrown back into his childhood attempting to prevent the unsolved murder of a classmate.
I recommend discontinuing Promised Neverland. That show collapses in on itself in an absolutely unreal way after setting an incredibly high bar with its first season.
I'd say the first season is so fantastic and works well enough as a self-contained story that I'd still recommend it. It's so worth the ride. Just pretend the last episode is the "final" vague ending. It's what I'm doing.
Crayon Shin-chan: Fierceness That Invites Storm! The Adult Empire Strikes Back (ninth Shin-chan movie) is an excellent heartwarming movie.
Wow! Never thought I'd see someone else recommend this film. Even though it's based on a long running show, it's an easy enough one to jump into and just simply fantastic. One of my favorite anime films honestly.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
not a single rec of Psycho Pass? surprising

anyway, watch the first season (22 eps) and then call it there

if she's looking for "immersive with characters that can be invested in, psychological themes, distinctive art style" then Psycho Pass should be a perfect fit

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Wow! Never thought I'd see someone else recommend this film. Even though it's based on a long running show, it's an easy enough one to jump into and just simply fantastic. One of my favorite anime films honestly.
I actually watched it for the first time last week. I've seen Shin-chan on adult swim when I was younger. Always had a fascination with the series. Recently I started reading about the top animated movies in Japan and that Shin-chan movie was on the lists, like near Akira.

Such a great, heartwarming film. I'm going to watch the 10th movie very soon. I hear it's good as the previous.