• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was over at my parents place this weekend and my mom was excitedly telling me about the new dog in the neighborhood. She said that the (white) couple across the street had a new labrador and that they'd named it Bojangles. My brain tingled a bit and I asked what colour the fur was and they said black.

I'm not sure if I'm being odd here, but that seems really messed up. I can't imagine getting a dog or cat with black fur and naming it an African American associated name. The couple who recently got the dog strike me as an incredibly oblivious white couple though.
I'm also not American and I'm only faintly aware of Bill Robinson, but I understand he was a black performer who was famous for tap dancing shows.

So yeah, uh am I making too much out of this, or is it really weird to name your black furred pet with a name associated with African Americans?

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more famous as a fast food joint now than a person. I wouldn't be surprised if they literally thought it was a fun sounding name and had no idea there's any racial component whatsoever.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You're taking them to task for a name from a NGDB song?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's iffy, but there's a restaurant chain called Bojangles so not really sure what to make of the word anymore.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they took a trip to South Carolina and are fans of the restaurant.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Is this thread for real?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've have never heard Bojangles was anything other then a fast food restaurant. Best fries in fast food too. I think you might the misreading this one and they probably just really like the food.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should steal the dog and send them a sternly written ransom note calling them oblivious, racist whities.

Status
Not open for further replies.