• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Okay, if that's the case the contract seems to be that OP pays them back when they get paid in a month. How is that different?
We don't know all the details. They didn't even know all the details. There are some expectations on the OPs side that his parents didn't know. They decided to help him get there. That can be a gift. Maybe they don't have much money. Maybe they do. They're still helping, and that is a gift.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You;re right it is a little pathetic, but can't I vent here every once in a while?
Nothing pathetic about wanting to vent and nothing wrong with you feeling like this is the place you're most comfortable doing so. Don't beat yourself over wanting to talk about issues, you've done nothing wrong and there's nothing to be ashamed of here. Like regardless of what if any responisiblity can be pinned on you in this situation, wanting to talk about how you've been made to feel is absolutely fine

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
There's something more than a little pathetic about a grown married man going to a video game forum to complain about his parents.

Your dad fucked up. If it was an honest mistake, deal with it. If it was something deeper than that, talk to him.
Thankfully we have this big grown up post by a very mature adult person on a video game forum to make up for it.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Two seats aren't always available next to each other, first of all.

Second of all pay for the luggage yourself. Are you a minor or something?

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Lol I feel like im having a mini breakdown right now , I appreciate what he is doing for me , I really do , and I dont really mind paying him back, what set me off is them blaming me for this "problem".

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
No worries, its my fault for sounding so aggrieve in my opening post. But wow, if I can't vent here without anyone getting mad at me , im in trouble.

You're on a discussion board. You can vent if you want to, but you also need to recognize that there is a distinct possibility that some people may not blindly take your side.

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring all the other issues which it sounds like OP et al are hashing out now...

Are you suggesting you can't bring any clothes with you to PR now? Or can this just be fixed with a phone call or two? You explain to your parents that you need to bring stuff, and so you need them to pay for luggage since you have $0. Is it not that simple?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, how did you approach the conversation with them? Was it in a way where you said... "Hey, I noticed a mistake - can we fix this so we can blah blah blah" or was it more inflammatory where they became defensive of the mistake?

Sometimes how you interact with your parents dictates the response. I have younger siblings and we all get a variety of responses based on how we interact on similar requests/conversations.

lol at least for my Asian ass parents this does not apply

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Sheeet one if the greatest gifts you can give someone, is a loan for something important when they desperately need it....without asking for extra money back or other things.
It's doing a nice thing/someone a solid, but it still doesn't feel like a gift to me. Gift, to me, feels like something freely given with no other expectations.

We don't know all the details. They didn't even know all the details. There are some expectations on the OPs side that his parents didn't know. They decided to help him get there. That can be a gift. Maybe they don't have much money. Maybe they do. They're still helping, and that is a gift.

You're right. We don't know everything attached to it. We don't even know if the OP wanted to visit them in the first place. Based on what was said, parents are paying for something that op is paying them back for later(and shortly later if the next month is to be believed). Which... just sounds like a loan.

Clearly this is becoming a discussion more about semantics though.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
OP if I've been reading this thread correctly. The one with the problem with the split seats and luggage is your Mom and not you right? The way some people are responding makes me think people don't realize this. I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.