• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I got both sets at launch (the pack-in set and an extra set). And now both are afflicted by this incredibly annoying defect. While I do have a Pro Controller, I can't play undocked anymore, until I get them fixed.

So, some questions:

Is Nintendo still fixing them out of warranty? I'll wait until COVID-19 lockdowns are over as it's obviously not urgent

Has there been any hardware revisions that have been verified this issue as finally fixed?

Is there a reasonable tutorial online for self-repair? I don't have a soldering iron so I may be limited.

Nintendo really needs to address this problem. It's embarrassing.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I got both sets at launch (the pack-in set and an extra set). And now both are afflicted by this incredibly annoying defect. While I do have a Pro Controller, I can't play undocked anymore, until I get them fixed.

So, some questions:

Is Nintendo still fixing them out of warranty? I'll wait until COVID-19 lockdowns are over as it's obviously not urgent

Has there been any hardware revisions that have been verified this issue as finally fixed?

Is there a reasonable tutorial online for self-repair? I don't have a soldering iron so I may be limited.

Nintendo really needs to address this problem. It's embarrassing.

This is how I fixed mine while im waiting for the lockdown to be over:

Cleaning only didnt work, it was cleaning and then doing the calibration.
But it just fixes them for some weeks or months, is not permanent (and neither is the nintendo method becuase the one that broke again was one that they fixed).
My gurantee has passed, seems they fix them for free in america, but not in europe, but even if im from europe im going to make a ruckus on the phone until I get them fixed for free.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
You can still get free repairs in the US from Nintendo. Amazon also sells new replacement sticks.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For all intents and purposes unless they completely redesign the Joy-Con, it's always going to be a problem. My left one started drifting around the release of Luigi's Mansion and I sent it to get repaired pretty soon after that. Just last week it started to drift again. It's just going to be a problem for the foreseeable future.

They are still fixing them out of warranty and like with most tech fixes, I have to imagine there are plenty on YouTube about fixing it yourself.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I sent mine in for repair. Did the request online and promptly received a shipping box in the mail. Got them back really quickly as well. I haven't had any issues since, so A+ to Nintendo there.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The electrical contact cleaner method has worked fine for me when I've used it, it's been a few months and no drifting on either of my Joycons. The one problem that I find annoying is that my left Joycon sometime disconnects randomly while in handheld mode, I wonder if the new improved Switch fixed that shit.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know why they keep failing? It is a design issue?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yes it's a design issue, though it must be complicated enough that they can't fix it easily.

I don't think you can even send them in at this point until everything opens back up, though.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
For all intents and purposes unless they completely redesign the Joy-Con, it's always going to be a problem. My left one started drifting around the release of Luigi's Mansion and I sent it to get repaired pretty soon after that. Just last week it started to drift again. It's just going to be a problem for the foreseeable future.

They are still fixing them out of warranty and like with most tech fixes, I have to imagine there are plenty on YouTube about fixing it yourself.
unfortunately they didn't even design the joystick components in the first place. they were sourced from a company who pumped out a shitload of faulty hardware (edit2: this is all iirc)

it's a terrible perfect storm situation

edit: yes OP there's no permanent fix/replacement yet

Last edited:

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
To everyone saying give them a call and they'll fix it, they're shut down right now.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I believe they are still willing to repair for free if you're in the US, but they aren't taking repairs right now because of the Coronavirus

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
unfortunately they didn't even design the joystick components in the first place. they were sourced from a company who pumped out a shitload of faulty hardware

it's a terrible perfect storm situation

edit: yes OP there's no permanent fix/replacement yet
Interesting. Which company designed them?

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Had 2 sets of joycons with drift issues, sent to nintendo for repair and they were really quick and communicative about, recommended experience

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Just got my launch joycons back yesterday for the third time.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If you live in the USA they'll fix it for free, if not just buy a stick + tools kit on Aliexpress and do it yourself, it's super easy. I did it myself with no issue.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
You can send in repair but who knows if that service is operational now and how long it will take to ship and return a non-essential item.