• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
When I first loaded this up I was shocked to see it was an hour and twenty minutes and thought there would be no way it could justify that length but I just finished watching it in one sitting where I was captivated throughout and almost moved to tears by the end.

In contrast to something like Blue Planet which gives a holistic, whistle stop tour of the oceans, this focuses on a single animal in its environment and the guy was able to document pretty much its entire life story over the course of about a year which makes it very personal. The level of trust he builds with the subject allows him to get some incredible footage, I'd highly recommend anyone interested in this kind of thing to give it a shot

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I do really enjoy a lot of these laser focused documentaries so I'll check it out. Thanks OP.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds interesting, even if it isn't a westernized adaptation of Assassination Classroom.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Just watched this with my wife after seeing this thread yesterday. Thanks a lot for sharing it, OP. What a beautiful little documentary. And wow, the production is excellent! The images are breathtaking.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That title made it sound like some creepy anime.
But reading your post I'm going to totally watch this! Thanks

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
I thought this was stealth promotion for Assassination Classroom, which is not a creepy anime, it is actually really good and heartfelt.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for sharing, sounds super interesting. Octopus are fascinating. Reminds me I still should read Children of Ruin

Oct 25, 2017
The part when he touches the octopus for the first time literally felt/looked like something out of a feature film. insane footage.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I stopped after maybe 10mins. The narrator was insufferable in privilege.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Seeing South Africa presented solely through the lens of a white man usually makes me uncomfortable but the beauty of the underwater visits actually outweighed that. He's not a narrator but he does the best he can tbh.
I'm specifically turned off by the whole "I left my kid to do the only thing I knew how to do to cope - the luxurious hobby of scuba diving." Like, biggest eyeroll ever.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got around to watching this last night. Fantastic documentary with some incredible footage. The ending broke me but I still loved it!

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I consider the above to be a required companion piece for this film.

The memory of the laughs it brought me will hopefully serve to keep down the vomit I will want to expel when this documentary takes the Oscar over the likes of Collective, Crip Camp, Boys State (not nominated) and A Life on Our Planet (also not nominated).

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wow! This was really incredible. I was surprised how touching it is and how intelligent 🐙 are.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I consider the above to be a required companion piece for this film.

The memory of the laughs it brought me will hopefully serve to keep down the vomit I will want to expel when this documentary takes the Oscar over the likes of Collective, Crip Camp, Boys State (not nominated) and A Life on Our Planet (also not nominated).
This so much. The footage itself is really good but even that is ruined by repeatedly cutting to the obnoxious narrator. Anyone who honestly thinks this is better than Collective needs to be kicked out of the Academy.

For anyone wanting to watch a great documentary that is stylistically the polar opposite of My Octopus Teacher yet also a documentary mostly about a single animal, I would recommend Gunda. It's a black and white documentary about a mother pig (and also featuring a one-legged chicken) with no narration, score or humans.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Sorry OP, I watched the doc on your rec and I found it absolutely insipid.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Humans will embroil a doc about recently carnivorious dung bettles to the tides of history because much like cultural erasure, it hurts too many people to not be a part of something, even if it's fiction. This 'doc', for it's fixed lens, gives a good glimmer about how much we don't fucking know about the sea, which is also coincidentaly the greatest harbourer of life on this planet. Figure that.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I just watched it last night. Amazing. What a wild life, just wake up and go to the ocean every day to hang out with an octopus.

Maybe I missed it, but what does that dude normally do for a living? Pretty specific skillset -- free diving and videographer.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I'm glad someone linked Maggie's video on this. Happy I didn't waste my time with this tripe.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is the argument against this documentary? Critique videos are a dime a dozen these days but I really enjoyed what I watched.
Maggie's are worth your time. I watched it ages ago, so I'd do a poor job trying to restate her points without watching the video again. But namely, the guy is incredibly self-obsesed and doesn't realize how much he's distorting his own disturbing behavior in the guise of having a meaningful moment out at sea. Not to mention the number of ways he misrepresents the actual biology of the octopus and how much danger he brings to it through his own obsessive need to connect with this thing that does not want him there.