• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
She recently got married. Before that, she was pretty non political as non voting type. But from what I understand her husband is right leaning. The other day she said they listened to Joe Rogan podcast and came away really worked up about...diversity at workplace? As in "hire the best minds, don't just hire diverse people" thought process. I made it my strict policy to not talk politics at work especially with those of opposing views. I did not say anything and just wanted to skip the conversation. Today it was saying AoC was wrong about Amazon.

I really don't know who Joe Rogan is other than that he does podcasts. I don't know which way he leans (quick Google says libertarian). But this is rather unfortunate because I like working with this coworker. She's pretty smart and quick on her feet. Just so it made me extremely disappointed to hear these thoughts especially on diversity.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
That is one way to enter the alt-right pipeline. Some start with Pewdiepie, Jordan Peterson or any other conservative they are connected with. Others start with Joe Rogan.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
My brother has started watching this guy and while he hasn't gone full right-wing he has started ranting about "compliance culture" a lot, and it's a real bummer.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Most people are completely ignorant on race.
And most people have internalized racism.

So.. that's what happens.

One way to try to counter this is education. Race scholars have lots of good books. How to be less stupid about race. White rage. Etc.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
That's crazy!
I really don't know who Joe Rogan is other than that he does podcasts. I don't know which way he leans (quick Google says libertarian). But this is rather unfortunate because I like working with this coworker. She's pretty smart and quick on her feet. Just so it made me extremely disappointed to hear these thoughts especially on diversity.
As far as I know, he's a libertarian-right moron who smokes weed and has a platform that appears to be attractive to other libertarian-centrist and right-leaning folks. Essentially the opposite of Chapo Traphouse from what I've listened to of both shows, but I'm not as well-versed as some folks on Era likely are.
Most people are completely ignorant on race.
And most people have internalized racism.

So.. that's what happens.
America is a white supremacist nation, and the bulk of white Americans are going to have internalized racism from a young age. You have to deprogram yourself from it.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I had a co-worker admit to listening to a lot of Dennis Miller back in the day, it all made sense after that.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, due to some of the guests he has on his show, people always warned about him leading people down that path.

The Joe Rogan Experience is the kind of show that can have guests like Neil deGrasse Tyson, Hannibal Buress, and Jay Leno, but also Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Alex Jones, and various members of the regressive race and gender science clown car that calls itself "the intellectual dark web." The problem is that, as Rogan himself has said, he's not a journalist. "I talk to people. And I record it. That's it," Rogan told the New York Times.

That means guests like Shapiro and Leno get the same kind of non-confrontational treatment. There's a basic rule of improvisational comedy that says that the performers on stage should respond to one another with "Yes, and…" This allows the conversation to continue to flow, sometimes in increasingly absurd directions. This is often how Rogan treats his guests, which works great when he has another comedian on, and not so great when Alex Jones is on the show talking about interdimensional pedophiles, or when Jordan Peterson describes the plight of men besieged by social justice warriors on college campuses. Both are ideas that don't stand up well to scrutiny, which Rogan doesn't provide.

In Rogan, they have found an enthusiastic and receptive interlocutor. For the past several years, Rogan has made a point of regularly interviewing the IDW's leading figures, declining the opportunity to meaningfully challenge them, and laundering their ideas in the process. Over the past year alone, he has hosted long conversations with Harris, the "Sokal Squared" academic hoaxsters Peter Boghossian and James Lindsay, social psychologist and trigger-warning foe Jonathan Haidt, mathematician Eric Weinstein, former Evergreen State College professors Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying, and Canadian psychology professor and anti-PC crusader Jordan Peterson.

Oct 26, 2017
v19fpvbg6k711.jpg

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joe Rogan signal boosts conspiracy theorists and elegant (or straight up buffoonish) racists. He's a shock jock masquerading as a deep thinker/social innovator.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Rogan is a gateway. He has a smooth and "soothing" voice, combined with just having a chill attitude that makes so many people think he is this all knowing dude and is a genius.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Fight back. Especially stuff like AoC and Amazon. Point out the economy is doing perfectly fine in NYC, Amazon conducted a exploitable search for a HQ2 luring cities and states that would have used the jobs much more than NYC and D.C, 2 of the most vibrant cities and economies in the U.S.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Hire the best people regardless of race" isn't really a notion that's exclusive to Joe Rogan listeners or political people. It's a seemingly logical position that, without any additional context, "just makes sense" to people. Not saying Rogan's show or the husband aren't the cause of this, but it's not necessary.
Bringing it up out of nowhere, though, could be a sign. See Trump when he starts ranting about random shit that just happened to be featured on Fox & Friends that day.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Joe has said multiple times he's a Democrat and has had almost every major democrat that is running for the 2020 election on his show allowing them to talk about their stances on major issues without a time limit. People are complex, they aren't just this or that.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The algorithm is extremely aggressive in its pipeline of right wing rhetoric, watch something like Joe Rogan (who is also a horrible person) and suddenly its also recommending you the complete and utter pieces of shit he has let on the show, and most people are unaware of how bad they are or think they are ok purely because they have been on the podcast before. Watch any one of them and you are down the rabbit hole with Dave Rubin or even more obvious white supremacists.

Joe has said multiple times he's a Democrat and has had almost every major democrat that is running for the 2020 election on his show allowing them to talk about their stances on major issues without a time limit. People are complex, they aren't just this or that.

Ahh yes I also go out to dinner with multiple white supremacists because Im just so complex! Lets not play this game Joe sure as shit aint a Democrat nor is his audience.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
They all start off watching Rogan then Youtube's algorithm gets to work and starts recommending them people like Rubin, Sherpiro, etc

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's something he says on the show when he's either not paying attention to his guest, or doesn't understand the subject too well (which is most of the time). He typically follows it up with some mention of psychedelics, because not understanding anything is something he understands quite well.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
He sure doesn't have a Democrat audience.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
It's something he says on the show when he's either not paying attention to his guest, or doesn't understand the subject too well (which is most of the time). He typically follows it up with some mention of psychedelics, because not understanding anything is something he understands quite well.
oh. i never listened to him. i just know his rep.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
He's a UFC commentator, MMA enthusiast, and former Fear Factor host whose podcast frequently features a huge variety of guests who voice opinions while he himself remains quiet or open on most subjects.

This has lent his platform to providing a signal boost for alt-right and IDW figureheads who Rogan is known to fraternize with. While he does have certain guests on who represent an opposition to those ideas, Rogan himself provides little pushback as an individual when confronted. He's naturally a skeptic as seen in most of his conversations but is also known to be a fence-sitter.

There have been some funny instances, such as when he blew open Candace Owens or exposed Dave Rubin's stupid ass, but this doesnt amount to more than a few awkward moments of conversation and he doesnt use his platform for any kind of constructive resistance to the ideology which produces people like them.

Tbh, Rogan is an enabler and a dummy, but not the person to waste energy on when it comes to challenging the alt-right. This sucks because his platform is HUGE, and can be used for good, but Joe himself has proven, at best, useless beyond any kind of entertainment one might get from listening/watching his podcast.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Equal Treatment" is faux complexity. If you give a platform to racists, you are complicit in their racism. Even if he tries to challenge their assertions, the best way to 'challenge' them is to completely ignore and deplatform them.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Joe Rogan is 100 percent the gateway for a lot of people getting sucked into the alt right. I've seen it happen countless times, it's an actual problem.

He's signal boosting some of the worst segments of our society.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
"Hire the best people regardless of race" isn't really a notion that's exclusive to Joe Rogan listeners or political people. It's a seemingly logical position that, without any additional context, "just makes sense" to people. Not saying Rogan's show or the husband aren't the cause of this, but it's not necessary.
Bringing it up out of nowhere, though, could be a sign. See Trump when he starts ranting about random shit that just happened to be featured on Fox & Friends that day.
Yeah I'd say it was really random - I was taken aback. How this person who never talked politics all of a sudden had this take of takes. I understand what you're saying though, but it sounded like a bad-faith argument against diversity.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
The algorithm is extremely aggressive in its pipeline of right wing rhetoric, watch something like Joe Rogan (who is also a horrible person) and suddenly its also recommending you the complete and utter pieces of shit he has let on the show, and most people are unaware of how bad they are or think they are ok purely because they have been on the podcast before. Watch any one of them and you are down the rabbit hole with Dave Rubin or even more obvious white supremacists.

Ahh yes I also go out to dinner with multiple white supremacists because Im just so complex!
Are you calling me a white supremesist
"Equal Treatment" is faux complexity. If you give a platform to racists, you are complicit in their racism. Even if he tries to challenge their assertions, the best way to 'challenge' them is to completely ignore and deplatform them.
have you actually listened to those episodes? Or did you see them on there and make assumptions?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
People being "complex" doesn't preclude them from being shitheads. Dude has given a platform to nazis, nobody forced him to do that and having non-nazis on his show should be the default behavior expectation for any good person.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
And yet, his blinded fanboys will insist otherwise. Will even try and label him left wing! Its amazing, and one of the reasons the guy is so dangerous. Have some 'genius' tell you that Rogan is liberal; listen to his show regularly and get force fed all the white supremacist and right wing talking points you can handle... then walk away thinking "Diversity" is white genocide.

Keep people you know AWAY from that fucking clown. It is every bit a right wing gateway.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
My good friend and coworker listens to this guy regularly and refuses to believe he's right wing. Says Joe doesn't take sides and is open to dialogue from everyone. I don't know how to make him realize the truth.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory False Equivalence; Accumulated Infractions
he's the right wing rachel maddow, both morons on each side of the coin

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
It's weird, man...

At first his audience was all stand-up comedy lovers and stoner types. Now a huge chunk are alt-right, apparently. Maybe even the majority? I mean, look at the latest podcast with Michelle Wolf on youtube. The comments are insane.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Are you calling me a white supremesist

have you actually listened to those episodes? Or did you see them on there and make assumptions?

Are you? Where did I say you were? Joe Rogan however as shown above is happy to go out to dinner with white supremacists, its clear where as day the type of audience that pollinates with them.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never got the impression that Joe himself is alt-right, he seems happy to have people like Bernie Sanders on his show. But he definitely gives a platform to alt-right people and that ilk.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
I don't understand the blind hate for Joe Rogan on this forum. The amount of valuable guests he's had on the podcast the last few months has been incredible. He just hosted a 4 hour podcast about the meat vs vegan debate it was incredibly detailed and fascinating.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's some math:

If Joe Rogan has a racist on his show, and only one-tenth of 1% of his 1+million listeners start researching that racist's ideas, that's 1,000 new racists.

If Joe Rogan does NOT have a racist on his show, that's zero new racists. And then that person can't use "Was on Joe Rogan's show!" as a resume line to get on other shows.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Are you? Where did I say you were? Joe Rogan however as shown above is happy to go out to dinner with white supremacists, its clear where as day the type of audience that pollinates with them.
You implied that I was. And also sorry I made a comment earlier thinking it was you who had said something but got the names mixed up. My fault.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't understand the blind hate for Joe Rogan on this forum. The amount of valuable guests he's had on the podcast the last few months has been incredible. He just hosted a 4 hour podcast about the meat vs vegan debate it was incredibly detailed and fascinating.
How is it blind hate when people constantly outline the reasons

Oct 26, 2017
Not even close. Maddow is way way better than Rogan.

Fox News also gives air time to Democrats.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I watched that one. Even though I'm not Vegan I thought that guy did an excellent job defending his film.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I know several people who this happened to as well. They started watching Rogan because of his drug videos and then graduated to Jordan Peterson and then Alex Jones.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Gawd when she would harp about how she respects Sean Hannity as a peer in here field that she respects i was like . I cant do this anymore

Oh and on topic yeah

Joe Rogan represents the lazyness right leaning centrism enables

The largest issues is that we should be confronting and challenging the worst ideas of our culture. Not trying to dissect, analyze and legitimize them

Racism, sexism and hate have to be actively stood up to and countered not brushed off. Its the largest flaw of thinking its ok to treat these things as free speech curiosities like Rogan does