• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
I have read your OP. Im sorry you have trouble with your neighbour and he sounds like a asshole. But it depends, if you live in a very quite neighberhood then 3 minutes of crying/barking dog every day can get very tiresome. To you 3 minutes sounds like nothing, but that is because its your own noise. If you live in a neighberhood with a lot of traffic anyway then its different. Maybe try some dog training?

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
You kill my dog and I'll try to break BOTH my fucking HANDS on your face from hitting you so hard. You a better man than me, OP

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate you're trying to help, but this is incredibly unhelpful and not rooted in legal reality whatsoever.
You don't understand the point of civil suits.

I agree with your point that it would get expensive so it would've been cost prohibitive until the suspected poisoning. That's going to be a situation where the OP could've made it viable but they dropped the ball by not getting an autopsy done.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My neighbor's dogs bark at night and it made it hard to sleep. We bought a sound machine for each bedroom and now we all sleep like babies.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Your neighbor is an A-hole.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Not about lack of reading skills it's about the lack of care for dogs. I couldn't care less about them.

Poisoning is wrong but dogs still suck.

wow you fucking suck.

To the Op. Deliver that letter as Well as the poisoning story to the police. Honestly if someone poisoned my dog I would be at the police right away.
Don't go physical, you never know if someone sick enough to poison a dog might pull a knife on you. Let the police handle it, or get a good lawyer and sue their sorry ass.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
If one of my dogs got poisoned I would be upset beyond belief. I can't imagine letting it go due to lack of proof. I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Your neighbor sounds psychotic, if so many of the other neighbors hate them I'd try to work with them on driving their ass out.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Do your neighbors live in a cardboard box? My neighbors' dogs bark like maniacs every time I get home, but I can't hear a peep once I'm inside my house with the door closed.

If it was me, I'd retype the letter, while correcting all of the numerous grammar mistakes, then leave it on their porch, or in their mailbox; just for shits and giggles. Obviously keep track of your dog, and try to give it some type of anti-barking training/collar/etc., but don't get too bent out of shape about it, as the neighbors are quite clearly being dicks about it.

If you suspect your previous dog was poisoned, though, I'd definitely look into some type of surveillance equipment. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to do anything to them until another crime is committed (IE: Your current dog is also poisoned), which doesn't really help anything; but maybe a visible camera will help prevent any further foul play.

And since I had the idea...

Dear Black Bar,

We are writing to you, tonight, because you continue to display a disregard for the peace and tranquility of this neighborhood, with your barking, grey dog!!!!!!

The outstanding and upright citizens of this impeccable neighborhood are tired of the noises and disturbances which start as early as 6:30 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. on most weekday mornings; and which sometimes proceed well in to the night, even until 10:30 p.m. or 11:00 p.m.

Dare you not believe us?????
We, the flawless citizens of this fine community, are keeping detailed accounts of your creature's numerous infractions, which we shall provide to the Creature Control Authority System and Judicial Overlords.

It - The painful caterwauling of your beast - continues even unto the ends of the week!!!!

We, members of the Impeccable Hood of Neighbors, have intricately surveyed the atrocious living-situation of your creature [Sidenote: We may or may not have trespassed onto your property to acquire such reconnaissance], and have determined that it requires an intricate grooming of matted fur; and that its shelter is despicable - fit only for deplorables, such as illegal immigrants. The weather conditions, in fact, in which you keep your barking mongrel are suitable only for the lowest of the low.

THERE ARE DOZENS of us, those sheltering betwixt your adjacent confinements, who have put up with fecal spew for - at minimum - a decade!

Sleep not, for we shall contact the highest powers the great state of Utah has to offer, should your canine continue to bellow for a time not limited to ten minutes, but not less than such; for we are reasonable citizens. Neither sunlight nor moonlight shall stop us from enacting revenge, should the deed continue beyond such a time limit, as described by the town's local weaponry.

Read the Provo City artillery! Along the barrels of each fine weapon, a clear and concise rule has been etched regarding noise nuisances [Which, I'll admit, is ironic, given they're written on the side of ordnances]. And we will not tarry; for we shall contact the Super Pets Can Attack foundation, and you can contact one of their detectives.

Be informed; you have a plethora of options: Put a silencer on your beast's muzzle, confine him within suitable shelter when noise erupts from his gullet, or eliminate him entirely and permanently. Should you not comply with our perfectly reasonable demands, officers of the law shall be contacted, and victory shall be ours!

We desire only two things: Peace and quiet. Most of the planet is comprised of warring nations at the moment, so good luck with the former. But, at least, you should be able to provide some calming silence within the near radii of our domiciles, which shall satisfy the latter.

With love,
Your starving down neighbors.

P.S. You have a lovely pillowcase/tablecloth/sofa/whatever that is in the image.
Nah fuck that. I'd write them a letter that says:
Go piss up a rope, and grow some balls enough to sign and address your letter. And that if you ever threaten me or my dog again I will not hesitate to call the cops.

OP I'm mad for you. Though I would have done some shit after finding my dog dead.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Indoor pets survive much, much longer than outdoor. Yeah, they are not immune, but you are downplaying the longevity of an indoor pet. There are so many ways an outdoor pet can die. They die all the time. It is why it is highly recommended you don't have an outdoor pet. No amount of vaccinations and training will save it from the outside.
Keeping a dog in the fenced garden a few hours a day is not equal to having an outdoor cat.

i totally agree that outdoor cats die easily. I also would never hold a dog as outdoor only, but that's personal preference.

I think as long as the dogs have enough social contact and are offered a heated/well isolated dog house a fenced garden can be an option, although not to me.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who used to live near someone who left a barking dog home all damn day, take the hint. *Youre* the problem. Not your neighbor. Not your dog. You. Put your dog in doggie day care or something. It's unhealthy for the dog to bark all day and it's miserable for anyone that has to hear it.
First post nails it. Bring your dog inside.

Sincerely,
Loud Dog Owner

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Keeping a dog in the fenced garden a few hours a day is not equal to having an outdoor cat.

i totally agree that outdoor cats die easily. I also would never hold a dog as outdoor only, but that's personal preference.

I think as long as the dogs have enough social contact and are offered a heated/well isolated dog house a fenced garden can be an option, although not to me.
You may want to believe the garden is safe but even then animals who go outside are statistically dying sooner than animals who stay inside. That is fact. There are so many insects, other animals, toxins, diseases, and human (usually car related) problems with outdoor animals. You are severely underestimating nature if you feel otherwise.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
First post nails it. Bring your dog inside.

Sincerely,
Loud Dog Owner

Four pages in and people still aren't reading the fucking OP? Embarrassing.

Also, OP, my brother has a friend who is pretty sure their own neighbor poisoned multiple pets of theirs, so I absolutely believe you. Such a shame that there's probably no way they'll ever be brought to justice. These motherfuckers always make sure to cover their tracks.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
OP. Somehow I don't think your neighbor poison your dog. Maybe it's been watching too much tv but isn't possible that his kids poisoned your dog? That neighbor sounds like all he does is complain, but the kids have hurt dogs with bb pellets. But to echo the advice from others in this thread you should keep your dog inside as much as possible just for events not to repeat. Good Idea with putting the cameras though. You should tell you neighbors who have pet to do the same and explain the poisoning to them

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
You may want to believe the garden is safe but even then animals who go outside are statistically dying sooner than animals who stay inside. That is fact. There are so many insects, other animals, toxins, diseases, and human (usually car related) problems with outdoor animals. You are severely underestimating nature if you feel otherwise.
Then a dog in a fenced garden would be indeed saver, according to your argument why? Because there are no cars, no danger from traffic, no food on the ground that they can accidentally pick up, no plastic trash that has traces of food left...

Other animals you may meet in a garden you can meet on walks as well: Be it savages, skunks, what-not! Most problems with animals (other dogs) come to be because one dog is on leash and therefore insecure (that's why dogs on leash should not have co tact with one another).

I'd still not hold a dog in a fenced garden alone because the quality of life wouldn't be what I want my dog to have. Explore a forest on a leash, go take long walks in a park,... it always comes with "dangers".

You gotta decide whether the dangers out-weight the positive impact it has on your dog.

i personally think best for my dog is indoor with regular walks and off leash running in dog parks. Locking a wild animal like a dog up in a house just to "secure it" would never occur to me. A dog could never get the stimulation it needs in door alone.

It is different for cats, as you can catify your home to suit their needs.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I woulda caught that fucker out late one night and beat the fucking shit out of him had he poisoned one of my dogs. He'd never feel safe again in that neighborhood again.

Other than that, video document every time your dog is out, for how long. Don't let the fucker bark.

Form an alliance with those other neighbors and take his ass to court for harassment. Catch those kids on video shooting the bbs at dogs. Make his life a living hell.

Also:

Keep your fucking dogs inside and train them to not bark folks. It's not that difficult.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
As someone who used to live near someone who left a barking dog home all damn day, take the hint. *Youre* the problem. Not your neighbor. Not your dog. You. Put your dog in doggie day care or something. It's unhealthy for the dog to bark all day and it's miserable for anyone that has to hear it.

What the fuck is this??

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I really sympathize with that poisoning but. There's some people in my neighborhood that fucking hate cats or something because they put up some obnoxious beeping device and plastic spikes along their side of the fence to try to keep them away from them (they're stray cats technically and hang out outside). One day years ago we woke up and saw one of our cats that was fine the night before dead with some blood oozing from its mouth. Years later some of the cats just disappeared out of nowhere. My mom was convinced someone was killing them.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies OP on my post above, as I only read the first 1/3 of the post where you stated he kept your dogs in an outdoor cage nearly year round. I didn't read the part where you changed to indoor only.

I get upset and heated at owners that keep dogs outside like this. One guy near me has his retriever in a 5x8 chain link with brick floor on the side of his garage. The poor thing looks fucking suicidal every time I see it.

That said, your neighbor is a mini Trump, complete with shitty children. Now that he left a note, I would consider moving. It sucks but this dude is a hair away from cracking.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Hey ERA, so today I got home from work and saw this wonderful note hung up on my door.

EMXO_obUcAAjANs

I'm 100% sure I know what neighbor left the note, but I still went around at 6 PM and asked 8 neighbors questions regarding my dog, and whether they are annoyed by his barking or if he's excessively loud. All of them told me they didn't notice nor care, and that there are dogs everywhere (5 of said houses I asked own dogs) so barking is common and they aren't annoyed by it. Either way, everyone told me I'm fine. So it's not "Neighbors" and "people" it's "you."

RED house is my house, BLUE house is the neighbor in question, and question marks indicate I felt they were too far to be able to hear anything, but I might swing by tomorrow and ask them for feedback.

So, here's the fun part-

I've lived in this house for 12 years. Since we've moved in, this neighbor, I felt, has harassed me and my animals the entire time. When we moved here in 2007, we owned 3 dogs, and he called animal control on us within the first year and we were forced to give one up, because in our City at the time you weren't allowed to have more than 2 dogs. We were very sad, but we did it. Our dogs were primarily outside dogs for 11 of these 12 years, basically never slept inside except during the winter when it snowed.

Over those 12 years, they have called animal control on our house over 10 times, and animal control never did anything. They always told use they monitored the neighborhood for 30 minutes, but didn't here any barking from our dogs/house, and heard some very minor barking for seconds from neighboring dogs but not enough to be an issue.

In 2018, they called animal control 3 times in the span of one week in October. They came by and monitored for 30 minutes each time, and same thing. The animal control lady told us basically, she's going to tell the Neighbor in question to stop reporting us, because after 3 reports in a week she found nothing worth punishing, and to leave us alone. She did recommend I install a bark collar on my dogs, but personally I felt that wasn't humane, so I told her I won't be doing that. She then recommended I move them to be inside dogs, and I should try working with my neighbor, and I told her because it's October and it'll start snowing soon, my dogs already transitioned to being inside dogs and won't be outside much.

2 days later, one of my dogs died unexpectedly at night, and had black gunk in his mouth. He died right by the fence and near the neighbors yard, I'm 100% they poisoned them, but have no proof so... whatever. My surviving dog kept vomiting heavily that night, so pretty sure the dosage just wasn't strong enough to kill him. I filed a police report to have records, but with no proof I didn't push for anything. I did however by a security camera and install it in my yard to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

That was it for a little over a year. With my dog losing his friend of 10+ years, I moved him to being an inside permanently and he just sleeps with me, and is never outside aside from using the bathroom. I'll admit, sometimes I do leave him outside while I'm work (usually from 11 AM - 2 PM), and he might bark a while, but it isn't too bad based off my security camera. He's definitely never outside from 7 AM though because I don't wake up until about 11 AM for work, usually his night/morning bathroom schedule is I take him outside and stay with him for 10 minutes, at 12 AM, and then take him outside and leave him out for 20 minutes while I shower. Security camera shows he doesn't bark at all during these 20 minutes. He really only barks if you leave him out in the dark, in that case he does bark hard non-stop, but in the last year those situations have happened about 5 times, unfortunately. He has gone hard for over 30 minutes, but once I get alerted by the constant Nest Alerts, I either rush home just to put him inside or call my family if they're home.

More fun parts!

While talking to my neighbors, 3 of them told me additional information I was not aware of regarding this same neighbor!

Neighbor 1 - Harassed them over their big dog (American Pitbull) making noise, and his children have been caught shooting BB pellets at their dog before. Absolutely hates this neighbor and sympathies hard with me.

Neighbor 2 - Told me for the last 17 years they lived there they had countless run in with said neighbor, and said neighbor also caused them to give up one dog to Animal Control. Tells me neighbor is a dick and recently on Sunday afternoon he yelled at him through the fence regarding the dog. Also said he once came over, knocked on his door and held a timer in his face and told him "If your dogs ever bark for more than 5 minutes I'm calling the police."

Neighbor 3 - Nothing regarding dogs, but told me said neighbor will calls the police and report you for literally any reason. Absolutely hates them and is sorry I'm dealing with them. Didn't ask them for go in depth or clarify anything.

So, I'm not sure where to go from here. I wanna be proactive and cover my bases. I'm considering calling Animal Control and alerting them of the situation, and mention our 10+ previous complaints and how they all went nowhere, and invite them to randomly come over and see my dog isn't even outside 90% of the time. I also want to invite SCPA to come over and investigate and meet my Dog. They can see he's just an old Dog that's taken good care of and is happy. Those "poor outside living conditions" are non-existent considering he doesn't live outside. The hair thing was kind of valid before I cut his hair (in November) I let his hair grow out from June - October cause I wanted to not cut it until it started snowing, so his hair was pretty messy for a while.

I just don't really know how to be proactive against the threat of a civil lawsuit. After, in my opinion, being harassed by this asshat for the last decade I don't really want to have ANY interaction with him, nor talk to him. If he wants to take me to court, he can, I'm just not sure what to do if he does. Obviously I know for a fact I want to get written statements from my neighbors with past bad experiences with him, and point out to the court he's just an asshole, but not sure what else I can do to prep for that.

So ERA, if anyone can give me any feedback or advice on what to do, please do! I'm a little stressed out, annoyed, and kind of bummed about this situation.

I had a neighbor that was poking my dogs with a damn rake thing. We think he killed one of my dogs when I was a child too. We called the cops and they said we are SOL.

Its truly horrible to have a shitty neighbor.

Me and that man got into screaming matches over my tree droppinf leaves in his yard and my dogs.

Weve moved away since then twice. He was a vietnam vet with some mental issues.

That being said we transitioned our dogs to be 99% inside. My belief is its cruel and wrong to have outside only animals. especially in bad weather. We always brought our dogs in when we are home even whe. they were outside during day.

constant barking dogs is a nuisance and wrong but your neighbor is a piece of shit and it seems youve done everything right to try for peace

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I think it's a bit knee-jerk to just go out and claim your dog was poisoned and killed by a neighbor if you haven't got any evidence pointing towards it. That's a huge step for someone to take. The dog could have died of reasons totally unrelated, but in this scenario even very unlikely scenarios start to seem likely. The neighbor would be dumb as fucking rocks to even attempt such a thing knowing he'd be immediately the prime suspect in the case.

Still could have happened, which is 100% fucked up, but let's not act like it is fact. Sit the fuck down with your neighbor and come to a solution both parties can agree on. Even hire a professional mediator if you have to. Also, don't immediately assume to know how much your dog's barking impacts his quality of life. Because living next to a barking dog can be a fucking nightmare.

Handle this like adults. Skip over the posters going all fury and fire threatening to fight the neighbor because they immediately believe that they actively killed your pet. That internet badassery doesn't work in real life.
Based on the tone of the note I dont think his neighbor is ready to handle this like adults.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its not fair but I would move.

I wouldn't want to live in such close proximity to such shitty human beings.

As much as I look at the house I generally look even more closely at the neighborhood.

That's just what I would do. May not work for the OP for a billion reasons.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
That first poster ain't coming back.

OT: it sounds like that neighbor is a piece of shit! I would only suggest continuing transitioning your dogs to inside dogs and definitely keep that camera system up for whenever your dogs are outside. And seek legal advice.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yeah if someone killed my dog I'd go straight to Wal Mart.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Jesus fuck, I'd kill that person if they did anything to my pet, and the world would be a better place.

You say you didn't have evidence this person poisoned your dog, but an autopsy plus a vet seeing the surviving dog plus the history of unjustified complaints plus the fact that it seems no other house is adjacent... I think you'd have won that case in the blink of an eye. Keep it in mind if anything ever happens again.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Also, I'm not sure turning the pet into an inside dog would help, that person seems psychotic. They didn't stop after getting rid of one dog and killing the other, they won't stop until you lose all three.

Did other people with dogs have trouble with that asshole?

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like the city has been pretty chill about your dog, my local ordinance makes it so your dog could bark at someone once and the cops are at your door.

In my case the cops were cool on the two occasions they showed up.

The last visit the officer had some sage advice, "some people just don't like dogs and they'll just keep calling."

The letter in the OP is a bit more cool headed than I thought it would be. If all the authorities he's already been calling and threatening to call haven't escalated anything in the last decade. I don't know why they would start now.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Neither is most of this thread with all the tough guy "nobody hurts my dog" posturing.
Yeah but it's not their issue, they are being emotional sure but ultimately they won't be the ones dealing with it and I don't suspect OP would actually act out in ways in which they suggest. Also those saying that stuff probably don't truly believe that OP would do that anyway. They're venting anger and frustration on OPs part.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
.... You could have used that $300 on a autopsy for proof. But you were grieving and made a rash investment. Which is fair.

Even if the autopsy proved the dog was poisned, there is zero proof the neighbour did it. The cameras could potentially save the life of the remaining dog, or at least make the psycho neighbour think twice. So I don't think it was rash at all. OP was pragmatic at an emotional time.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: nevermind i see you already did it.
Id install those wifi home cameras that are motion activated outside. My aunt had a similar situation with a threat and so we just pointed cameras everywhere. It sends it to the cloud so you can check it from a phone app.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
1. Shave your head
2. Hit the gym
3. Go knock on that asshole's door and give them a piece of your mind

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say this but honestly it'll be less stressful and safer for you and yours if you just move. I know you've been there a long time and it makes you sick to feel like that awful neighbor won but they are that bad of a person that it would definitely be worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
That may be true but its also not just a coincidence either. I'd have put cameras up and the second I found out it was the neighbor...it woulda been some smoke in the fuckin' city
It's a big jump from calling the police and filing complaints to murdering the dogs dude. Dogs can get into stuff and die at anytime.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
That's a real rough situation, OP.

First I'd recommend that you get no more outside Dogs. Dogs and Cats are both happier and healthier overall spending at least nights indoors. Noise ordinance laws in most places have a ban on loud noise between 10-11pm and 7am on most mornings. By your abusive neighbours own "records", you're basically within that perameter.

If he does sue, a long record of reports with animal control AND no wrong doing detected by them can only help your case. I don't think you can stop it from happening. As for the possible poisioning shit, you're a better man than me. The very next day his door would get a pounding on and if he gave me the wrong answers to certain questions: so would he.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say this but honestly it'll be less stressful and safer for you and yours if you just move. I know you've been there a long time and it makes you sick to feel like that awful neighbor won but they are that bad of a person that it would definitely be worth it.
That's what I suggested.

It's never going to work and OP will be a million times happier when he gets out of that neighborhood (assigning it is feasible).

Shitty neighbors are one of the worst things in life.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Start putting up security cameras immediately. It'll help you gather any evidence should your neighbor try something fishy and at the same time documenting your own case if they try going the court route.

honkycat

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Nvm this was all covered elsewhere.

Record everything. Restraining order

Last edited:

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
OP you should keep your dog inside when you're not home so then nobody can complain about any noise. It's also safer for the dog. With that said your neighbour sounds like a real asshole. You should have gotten an autopsy done after the suspected poisoning. I'm not sure what you could sue him for without that. It's not like being an asshole is illegal.

Good luck in dealing with him.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
So for anyone who's a lawyer, is there really nothing the OP can do against this person?

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
The no autopsy thing on the dog's body is disappointing, even if you couldn't directly link them to it right them and there you could see justice served if they slip up or try it again.

Also, for less general trouble you should be making sure you have your dogs inside as much as possible from now on, and consider moving as well. This may seem like you are "losing" but the most important thing in this situation is the dog's safety and if the asshole will stoop to poison all bets are off.

Record everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, and I'm not talking about just more cameras (though they would certainly help, imagine if you had been recording who dropped off that letter?). Keep documentation and records of everything, from this letter to the various complaints that went nowhere to the testimony of every other neighbor you have. If you can't prove it to the court with evidence of some kind then they won't care. That goes for both you and them.