• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can never tell the difference between a John Bain thread and a John McCain thread.

Can't speak ill of dead PC gaming war veteran John McBain.
A true veteran of the posting wars, John Bain bravely defended against the subhuman 30FPS hordes. Wait. Some PC games... are still 30FPS!? NOOOOOOOoooooo

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, not going to support the whitewashing of what this dude was. Every supposed good thing he did for gaming meant shit compared to him supporting the largest hate movement we've ever seen.

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He's not as bad as the other two by any means -- and I have to say back when I watched zero punctuation I tended to agree with his opinions more than not -- but I think any time he's tried to talk about issues outside of "how does this game play" he tends to step in it because he's trying a little too hard to push for that edgy audience. I left the receipts at home but I know his videos can be pretty casually transphobic, for example.
Yahtzee has made multiple Let's Play videos with Ian Miles Cheong and was one of the few content creators to stay on The Escapist after many of its staff left over its pro-Gamergate stance. His views are pretty clear.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
As someone who watched a pretty good chunk of his stuff for a few years, I honestly don't recall much support for GG at all.
Others have provided examples. But, in general (at least up until I couldn't stand him anymore), his game and even gaming news related videos were generally pretty good. There were occasional bits of "Hmm, that could be interpreted shittily" but it was background noise.

I consider it comparable to how a lot of Fantasy authors are part of a certain church that has some pretty bad views on a lot of topics. 99 times out of a 100 it won't come up in their writing and you might just have a few moments of "I have a feeling there is some subtext to this scene" but whatever

But when he did podcasts, tweeted, or anything else with more of an "opinion" focus, it came out. A lot. I have no idea how Jesse Cox or Dodger came down on things but I remember a few times when TB basically screamed them down for trying to change the subject during a podcast. Not sure if he got better or worse as I largely stopped following after that.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
There needs to be a discussion on this forum as to where the line is for promoting a person's work or promoting a person's image if they are under the shroud of controversial views or have taken actions to support hateful and dangerous groups or rhetoric.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
People are free to form their own opinions on the man, but I don't think Resetera is the place to give (positive) attention to a person who, at the least, gave credibility and a voice to a hate group.

If you are capable of separating his work from his views (which in TB's case seemed increasingly hard to do) and are still interested in the man, there's probably other venues you'll hear about this, and will be able to discuss it there.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yahtzee has made multiple Let's Play videos with Ian Miles Cheong and was one of the few content creators to stay on The Escapist after many of its staff left over its pro-Gamergate stance. His views are pretty clear.
When was this? Ian Miles Cheong was staunchly anti-Gamergate at an early point. I actually didn't see him flip, so it was weird when just suddenly everyone who was shitting on him before was praising him and vice-versa.

b128hticcaavu0t.jpglah2jdq.jpg

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
The man made mistakes, it seemed like he changed later on, but fuck him I guess, let's dig up all the dirt.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When was this? Ian Miles Cheong was staunchly anti-Gamergate at an early point. I actually didn't see him flip, so it was weird when just suddenly everyone who was shitting on him before was praising him and vice-versa.

b128hticcaavu0t.jpglah2jdq.jpg
I wonder when the ants started eating away at his brain.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The only people driving women out of the games industry are the fear-mongering yellow journalists repeating the narrative women are under attack. Well done guys, you successfully discouraged women from getting involved in the industry. How progressive of you. Dolts.

Nice guy that totalbiscuit.

Sep 12, 2018
The man made mistakes, it seemed like he changed later on, but fuck him I guess, let's dig up all the dirt.
Wasn't he asked about Gamergate years later and said "it was the worst thing to happen to games (fair enough), not because of the harassment of Zoe Quinn and other women in the industry but because of the slander against gamers (fucking yikes)"?

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know at one point they had to chose between the healt insurance (All the cancer treatment and such) and taxes. I think that it's s understandable that they (His wife actually) choosed the first option. This is more an usa problem than anything else.
The guy was making millions and paying out of pocket for unproven experimental cancer treatments, he did not have a legitimate problem paying his taxes. They seeming couldn't be bothered to find someone competent to handle their finances/taxes while going on a spending spree, and then when they discovered how deep they were in they just stuck their head in the sand and kept going until he died. Then his wife begged his fans for a bailout.

Oct 26, 2017
If you are capable of separating his work from his views (which in TB's case seemed increasingly hard to do) and are still interested in the man, there's probably other venues you'll hear about this, and will be able to discuss it there.
His view were his work, he used his platform to support a hate movement.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Did he?

Like, I'm legitimately asking. I'm sure he accepted that the Gamergate brand had become tarnished once it hit mainstream media and would never be viewed by the general public as anything other than a harassment campaign. But did he actually demonstrate that he changed, did he show any sympathy for the people he caused harm to, did he show any sign that he learned what was wrong about the narrative that he had spent such a long time pushing ? Do we have any evidence of that happening?

Oct 27, 2017
The adult thing to do is not whitewash his toxicity, and spread awareness so that more people don't repeat his actions.

I appreciate the mere mention of Bain's name on this forum inspires virulent frothing and nashing of teeth, but this ain't no Unicorn Store...

The documentary may yet address this 'toxicity'...

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Oh wow, that's significantly worse than I thought. (I haven't paid attention to him in like half a decade I'd guess.)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I also like how posting the statements made on a public forum by a guy who is paid to say things to an audience is "digging up dirt".

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched my first TB content! A rambling ridiculous defense of jontron!

How long after that did he change? Because he came off as a very angry, hateful, disgusting man in the 4 minutes I made it through.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I am sincerely asking, what did he do that made you feel like he changed?

I'll say when he died, hearing Vinny from Giant Bomb talk about him shook me a bit. I have never heard that man say a bad thing about anyone before, and he didn't really here either. But, he said bluntly that TB had hurt people he cares about. When I hear someone who always comes across as super nice and genuine say that about someone, it stays with me a bit.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Hopefully the doc addresses his flaws. I think he had constructive things to say sometimes.

Didn't really get that from the trailer though.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am sincerely asking, what did he do that made you feel like he changed?

I'll say when he died, hearing Vinny from Giant Bomb talk about him shook me a bit. I have never heard that man say a bad thing about anyone before, and he didn't really here either. But, he said bluntly that TB had hurt people he cares about. When I hear someone who always comes across as super nice and genuine say that about someone, it stays with me a bit.
I remember that, it really meant a lot coming from Vinny especially considering the timing.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
something something cancel culture, too far, etc. etc.

I honestly feel like there are a huge population of gamers out there who don't realize that when you say things to people that they might actually respond to them, and so interpret all conversations as attacks and dogpiles.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Era is the most hateful place I've ever seen... apart from 4chan
I don't know that I agree with some of the harshest statements against him, but plenty don't take kindly to someone promoting a hate movement that hurt lots of people. He was supremely talented and did good for some people, and was good for gamers' consumer rights, but the GamerGate shit overshadows a lot of that. That movement hurt lots of people in a short ammount of time, doing far more damage than any of the consumer rights/ethics problems he went after. Get out of your bubble and look at the real world.

And if you think this is the most hateful place you've seen, you're an incredibly sheltered and ignorant person.

Status
Not open for further replies.