• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
User Banned (2 weeks): Repeatedly misrepresenting information surrounding a hate movement over a series of posts

The documentary will be released May 23rd. Will update the post when it will be available.
Didn't see a thread about it, if it exists please remove my FoV slider.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
A documentary around TotalBiscuit could be really interesting...but I don't think that's what this is going to be.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I loved him for being the one guy to call devs out on shit PC ports, he was the only champion we had.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The question is if this will be comprehensive or if it's going to whitewash the awful stuff he did.

He was part of gamergate.
Oh, it'll whitewash the hell out of it. Gonna be super cool to see people ignore the harm he promoted because he said video games should have more graphics options or whatever.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A documentary around TotalBiscuit could be really interesting...but I don't think that's what this is going to be.
If this is an actual documentary that dives even moderately into his failings as a person and GG support, I'll be stunned.

But yeah, it's definitely glossing over it.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was a famous internet personality, so naturally.

Way to brush it off like nothing. There's controversy that comes with being an internet personality like "Omg he gave zolda BOTw a 9.9 and not a 22?!" and there's the controversy of vocally supporting a hate group. He didn't just talk about games or want to just be a game critic or what the hell else he claims in that video. He had a small island worth of followers, like he states in that video, and helped bring more attention to his ignorant views, which he made no means to fix before his passing.

Yes, he's dead. He can't hurt anyone anymore, let the fans grieve right? Well, it remains to be seen how in depth this will get to his "mistakes" we'll call them, but presenting this man as a saint who just wanted to protect consumers from vidya gaems is harmful and a lie.

They even use footage of him on the H3H3 podcast for fucksake.

OP
OP
Calibro

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Uh not all internet personalities were advocates of a harassment campaign.
Yeah I'm not diving into this shitshow of a topic again. TB wasn't a "goobergator" or whatever. You can ask Jim Sterling about it. One of the most honest youtubers I've ever watched.

That said, I'm also very curious about how all of it will be documented in the video.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't this be barred from era if it isn't going to be touching on gamergate? Why give this an audience?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Yeah I'm not diving into this shitshow of a topic again. TB wasn't a "goobergator" or whatever. You can ask Jim Sterling about it. One of the most honest youtubers I've ever watched.

That said, I'm also very curious about how all of it will be documented in the video.
You started this thread.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
This is awful, sorry. I watched the trailer and it's heartfelt eulogy for a man who dedicated his career and the final years of his life to making this space worse for marginalised people.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Yo dog, i'm not gonna tell you what you should believe. But trying to downplay what gamegate has had interms of societal effects isn't gonna get anyone on your side. That is not a good look

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
i say this as a conflicted fan of TB: just don't. i wouldn't go so far as others are, as to say he created or was part of gg, but he was toxic, even if for a period of time. to just gloss that over is ridiculous. TB wrote OP-EDs because Sarkesian pissed him off, ffs, without even considering what his fanbase would do.

Last edited:

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved his channel and especially the podcast show, though not watched/listend to it since he's past not a massive fan of Gemma.

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Truly, John Bain showed courage and a sense of community when he threatened someone because they didn't want him on their charity stream due to his Gamergate affiliations. A man of the people and an inspiration to all.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is awful, sorry. I watched the trailer and it's heartfelt eulogy for a man who dedicated his career and the final years of his life to making this space worse for marginalised people.
This comment is as bad as saying he did no wrong.

He said some terrible shit, but to say he "dedicated his final years of his life to make this space worse for marginalized people"? That's actually kind of disgusting, considering his circumstances. He said some terrible shit, but he also did some good. One does not erase the other.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TotalBiscuit is a really interesting figure. He did a lot of good for the industry -- i'll never forget the person running the Warframe stream getting choked up when she heard the news -- but he also did a lot of bad. He was someone with a huge ego and his backing of GG is well known. It seemed like he was in it for the journalistic integrity stuff it pretended to be about, but even when the truth came out he didn't really back down. Even when women spoke up that he was causing a lot of harm and leading his audience into a toxic movement he didn't change course like he should have.

He was huge in the Starcraft scene, he gave a ton of visibility to Warframe, he was a huge proponent of consumer rights, but he also wasn't someone to look up to and his personality flaws and failings were on display for much of his career. He was an incredibly strong personality and that came with a lot of good and bad. He hurt a lot of people with his support of GG, even if in his eyes he was supporting what GG was veiled to be instead of what it actually was.

I'd be interested in watching a documentary if it was willing to dive into a complete look at him but i'm not sure this one will be it.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Such a shame he used his platform to spread and promote hatred. He made many positive contributions in the gaming space but It's hard to remember him for anything else other than his role in gamergate.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Generalizing the community/Inflammatory post
Era is the most hateful place I've ever seen... apart from 4chan

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

are you for real dude

guy was absolutely an ethics in games journalism nonsense peddler till the end

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
He obviously did a lot of good work and I used to be a fan, which makes my feelings on this way more conflicted, but a documentary that ignores what he was partly responsible for with his fanbase isn't particularly interesting.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I miss TB in the Starcraft 2 community. He did some great things there. Helped a lot of people. I know he was officially cancelled and had his grave danced on but I think there was more to the man than that gg shit which condemned him to being an evil person all his life and in the ever after. I'll check out the documentary but I know it's going to make me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.