• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I had RE3 reserved at EBGames in late February this year but then all hell broke loose ;) and never got the game after.Tempted now that its 50% off on the Series X...I know its not enhanced per say but it probably runs very smooth on it...

And yeah OP, RE 7 has some hard sections for sure.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
This is how it was back on PlayStation/GameCube. It had it's purpose to load parts of the game. To me, it also adds to the ambience experience.

1 is not 0, neither was 2 or 3. Give 1 (Remake) a chance. The first one is a really great game and what started this phenomenon of a series called Resident Evil.
I would, maybe, but those room transitions are genuinely a dealbreaker

I don't see how it adds to the ambiance at all

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I had RE3 reserved at EBGames in late February this year but then all hell broke loose ;) and never got the game after.Tempted now that its 50% off on the Series X...I know its not enhanced per say but it probably runs very smooth on it...

And yeah OP, RE 7 has some hard sections for sure.
I think it's a great 6 hour game

But that's it

there's no real replay value so all you get is those 6 hours

whether that's worth $30 or not is up to you

But I WILL say it's very enjoyable. I just wanted way more of absolutely everything. It just feels criminal how short it was. I wish Capcom released massive DLC

Hope they're happy with the stupid multiplayer mode

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
RE7 definitely isn't as good as RE2R, RE3R, hell even REmake, RE0, RE5, and RE6 imo (controversial, I know). I'm not a fan of the first person perspective, the mold are an annoying enemy, and Jack Baker is more of a pain than Mr. X or Nemesis. I'm not super optimistic about RE8 for this reason, since it's going back to first person, but I guess I'll wait and see.

What we need is a Code Veronica remake though.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I played the RE2 REmake only this year and had I played it last year, it would have been my game of the year I think.
Ammo scarcity, scaling difficulty that beats you down for getting better, gun sway along with enemy head swaying and semi-randomized damage all sounds like I'd hate it, but I loved every bit of it.

Directly bought RE3 REmake and... it looks great, but it's only a "good game" with very flawed chase bullshit to it.

Got a Quest 2 some weeks ago, maybe I should get RE7 a go (not worried about being scared, VR is not that immersive to me somehow), but I'm pretty sure it's too different for me to like it. I don't like any kind of rubberbanding or difficulty adjusting and I don't like to feel powerless in artificially restrictive ways like so many first person horror games do it and I bet that is a big part of RE7.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I don't see how it adds to the ambiance at all

You don't understand because you haven't played the first game. In that game, you are trapped in this mysterious mansion. You don't know what's going to happen and what's ahead on every door or stairs. Aside from loading the game, it adds suspense and mystery of what lies ahead. The music and the sounds in each transition also sets the mood to what you might be encountering ahead.

I understand the pain of watching them every time you backtrack. Nevertheless, the first one is a great game and you wouldn't be playing 2, 3, 4, and the rest, if that game wasn't great in the first place.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0 is such a disappointing game to me. Not only is the premise of a prequel to RE1 that features Bravo Team super awesome, but the actual game we got could have been great. The game starts off so good too and I honestly think the entire game should've been set on the train (or at least the majority of it), but instead we crash it and end up in...another mansion knock off. Fucksake really?

Marcus is an awful villain, like one of the worst of all time. Everyone from Bravo Team gets completely shafted for...reasons? Billy is cool but a wholly unnecessary character. The locations and bosses are just boring. Item management is a fucking travesty and completely kills the pacing of the game with the constant back and forth between where you dumped items. Rebecca is killing Tyrants for some reason (yes I know it was a proto-type but a Tyrant is still a fucking Tyrant and fighting one before the end of RE1 is just a baffling choice). I could go on, and maybe I will eventually.

I really wanted a game that explored Bravo Team more. I wanted more from Richard, Forest, Enrico, Kenneth etc but instead we got a ton of Rebecca who I like but, come on. The story is just recycled from the plot of RE1 but includes some anime leech man for some reason, it adds nothing new to the series. It could've been amazing game, but it just shows how stale the fixed camera style got when you have a game that's just 90% the same as RE1, which you just remade around the same time and was incredible. People say 0 needs remade, but I think it needs to be a completely different game.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately I think this means old-school RE games aren't for me, because I hated just about everything and I can't bring myself to complete it. I've only played it for 3 hours but it's felt like 30. I can't deal with it anymore.
Naw, RE Zero just sucks. It and Code Veronica are the low points of classic RE, while ogRE2 and REmake are the high points. Play REmake.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Playing RE7 on a panel, And not in VR makes the opinion redundant, As the game was pretty much designed for VR. And they completely nailed it, RE7 in VR and we got Half Life Alyx in VR. You only do yourself a disservice, Not playing either one in VR.

Impossible to go back to normal Resi now, After experiencing it in VR.

windupcrow

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
I recently went for the platinum in all the games (except 0, lol) and speedran 2 and 3. So I'll talk about them a little from the perspective of multiple runs which I think is crazy important for RE games.

RE2 is close to perfect. They dropped the ball with the route system but everything else is so wonderful I look past it. The one downside for multiple runs is that the game does have some RNG which works perfectly for an initial or more relaxed playthrough but can sabotage speedruns or S rank playthroughs in ways that make the game feel unfair and inconsistent.

RE3 is nasty, mean and has great pacing and great highs but the level design, mechanical interaction and pacing aren't great. I wish there was more Jill, as I liked Carlos as a character but his mechanics and loadout I didn't enjoy. However, this game is a blast to replay. The difficulty options significantly tweak encounter design, and the taut pacing and more predictable gameplay design make each playthrough a joy.

I lost patience with RE7 after multiple runs. The game crosses from relentless to torturous on madhouse and the pace is so strictly defined, with unskippable cutscenes on top, that I grew very, very tired of the game by the time I completed it.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
RE2 Remake is one of my favorite games of all time. RE3 was good, but yeah it was too short and had a bit too much action for my tastes. I personally like RE7 a lot too, but I m not a fan of the first person perspective and the story/characters don't really fit into the Resident Evil world that well imho. Still a very good game though. RE0 I also like, but it is definitely the weakest of the classic survival horror REs.

Tam o shanter

Jun 2, 2019
I got into the Resident Evil games pretty late. I'll give my quick thoughts on the ones I've played so far.

Resident Evil Remake: I have pretty good patience when it comes to old games, so I decided to go for the classic tank controls and I had a great experience. The clunkiness of the controls really added to that feeling of terror and helplessness. But I totally get that people hate it and just play with the modern controls.

Resident Evil 7: what a return to form the series needed. I haven't played any of the action RE games but I don't think I would like them. This game is definitely good but there are things about it that I didn't like too much. I much prefer 3rd person games but the 1st person gameplay wasn't a deal breaker. Especially since I got to play it in VR. It definitely adds to the terror but I would get headaches after playing for a while so I eventually stopped using it. I also didn't really like the setting of the game as much as the others. Too many parts just look like brown mess. Also some of the textures looked really low res (maybe because of the VR). Overall, very good game, but not my favorite.

Resident Evil 2 Remake: holy shit, what a game. Learning the environment in RE1 was one of my favorite parts and the police station is even better! And just when you're getting to grips with the game, Mr X shows up and adds a new layer of anxiety and planning to the experience. I played it when it game out as Leon on normal mode and it was already my game of the year. Then I played it again on hard with Claire and my appreciation of this game grew even more. It has so much replay value.

Resident Evil 3 Remake: man, I wish this game was so much more. The game is very short but that's not it biggest flaw. It just not as well designed as it's predecessor. There almost no replay value and the areas are so short and don't require you to plan out your routes as much. Once you go through an area once, you never go back. And nemesis is such a step back from Mr X. He just shows up in scripted scenarios. Really strange design decision.

This series quickly shot up to one of my favorites and I am very much looking forward to RE8. I still need to play RE4 which many consider the best in the series. But if the rumors are true that it's being remade, I might just wait. I really nervous about playing RE0...

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished RE7 as my first game in the series and loved the first half. The second half is significantly weaker IMO.

Got about 3 hours into REmake and deleted it. What a boring, tedious waste of time. There was nothing enjoyable about it to me.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also love RE3R more than 2. Glad there are more of us!

OP, I do think you should retry RE7, or at the very least watch a let's play of it. RE8 will be a direct sequel.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a RE0 apologist as I grew up on the classic games and tank controls and just adored the resource management aspect of these games. Making brutal decisions and pathing into the unknown while gauging limited item space. Something I've missed since RE4 kind of stuffed it for setpiece action(and I still loved that one too).

RE0 has sequences that manage that well and I did think the character swap and item dropping opened up clever sequences to put you in tough predicaments to rationalize.

But it is hard to defend how awful the plotting and story are. How unbelievably misguided the use and planning of the hookshot item turned out(classic beginner trap bullshit). How the enemy respawns at certain thresholds sort of broke the progression pacing at key moments.

It's a seriously flawed game, but it should no way impart any impression on how godly REmake is. Still my favorite entry among them all.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a great 6 hour game

But that's it

there's no real replay value so all you get is those 6 hours

whether that's worth $30 or not is up to you

But I WILL say it's very enjoyable. I just wanted way more of absolutely everything. It just feels criminal how short it was. I wish Capcom released massive DLC

Hope they're happy with the stupid multiplayer mode

Disagree with the no replay value. It's fun to try and speedrun as fast as you can once you finish the game. I probably played through it 6 or 7 times.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Re3make was such an awful disappointment.

missing half the content of the original, Nemesis basically a recurring QTE, shit one liners and lame constant cursing

Karakato

Oct 29, 2017
Are you interested in giving the Revelation games a shot? They basically take the RE4-6 play style and adapt it to the more classic setting. I enjoyed Rev2 in particular, even moreso than RE 5 or 6.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I'll concede that it was probably bad too. It was just as far as I was able to enjoy it lol
If anything it was at its worst on the train because the rooms are more cramped, small, and numerous. I think literally half my time on the train was spent with the room transitions. It was also jarring playing it AFTER RE2R. I was like "omg why does the menu take time to load too? Omg nothing on the map is marked? Omg there's an "item list" as opposed to just having the photos on the map?"

I mean, if people like it, more power to them honestly lol. Guess they have a level of patience that I literally will never have

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Are you interested in giving the Revelation games a shot? They basically take the RE4-6 play style and adapt it to the more classic setting. I enjoyed Rev2 in particular, even moreso than RE 5 or 6.
This is shallow of me but the pre-rendered cutscenes look odd to the point of being off-putting to me lol. There's some shots where stuff like the water surrounding the island look incredible but the characters just look like their in-game models with some weird Vaseline smeared over them. It's the weirdest nitpick ever, I know, but it makes me automatically disinterested

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Thanks for the thoughts, OP. I love reading these kinds of threads. For a specific genre, RE is represented in so many different ways, something few franchises can claim to do effectively.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
If anything it was at its worst on the train because the rooms are more cramped, small, and numerous. I think literally half my time on the train was spent with the room transitions. It was also jarring playing it AFTER RE2R. I was like "omg why does the menu take time to load too? Omg nothing on the map is marked? Omg there's an "item list" as opposed to just having the photos on the map?"

I mean, if people like it, more power to them honestly lol. Guess they have a level of patience that I literally will never have

I only got as far as I did because I played REmake 1 first (after having played the original RE1-3 on my Vita). Even then, 0 is just so much worse, it's crazy.

Then I played RE2R. I don't know if I'll ever go back and attempt to give 0 another shot. Hell I may not even be able to play the OGs or REmake 1 again. Capcom caught lightning in a bottle with RE2R, even if I had gripes about some bits of it.

I think I have RE4-6 and a Revelation digitally on either my PS3 or PS4. I don't know if I can get into them either lol

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I'm a big Resident Evil fan and your assessments are pretty similar to mine. RE7 is worth the play through though but I definitely don't love it as much as the rest of the gaming world. I would put RE 7 in front of only RE0 and RE6. I prefer even the controversial RE5 over RE7.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
RE2 Remake was the first RE game I played and I loved it so much. I'm generally not a fan of horror but I thought it wasn't too bad. But gameplay wise, it's just about as perfect as you can get with a video game.

I need to go back and finish RE3 Remake. I got to a point where I was in a forced combat spot with no ammo, so I literally couldn't progress. I should replay it though, I enjoyed what I played; just not as much as RE2.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
RE0 is a love/hate game. I do think the idea of swapping between two characters is cool, but the inventory system absolutely ruins it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I tried REmake on my switch and it just didn't seem to age well. Controls felt clunky, game felt slow, and did I understand right in that you literally have to have an item to save? Just seems like it could use ANOTHER remake lol.

I really wanna know why it's so acclaimed. Not saying it shouldn't be, but everyone on this thread is singing it's praises so I wanna be convinced to dive back in. I loved RE2make and was so excited but REmake just didn't capture me.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
RE2 REMAKE is still my biggest gaming disappointment in I don't even know how many years..

The way they implemented the "B Scenario" was soo bad and such a let down. Didn't even beat the 2nd run.

And after that didn't bother with RE3.. And seems like they did even bother less with that game..

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I tried REmake on my switch and it just didn't seem to age well. Controls felt clunky, game felt slow, and did I understand right in that you literally have to have an item to save? Just seems like it could use ANOTHER remake lol.

I really wanna know why it's so acclaimed. Not saying it shouldn't be, but everyone on this thread is singing it's praises so I wanna be convinced to dive back in. I loved RE2make and was so excited but REmake just didn't capture me.
The answer is obviously nostalgia

I can't imagine anyone enjoying it otherwise, especially after the remakes

they're just fucking unbearably slow in every regard

The train section is amazing?

It's visually amazing, but that's it. What's so amazing outside of visuals if I may ask? Personally I was bored to tears

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019

It's very atmospheric, it features a simple mystery story, and becoming more and more familiar with the mansion and it's backstory is part of the experience.

Many RE games tends to throw big monsters and explosions at the player. While RE1 does this too, it manages to stay somewhat low key during the entire experience and focuses instead on the mystery of the house and all zombies.

But remember that the remake is 18 years old, for its age I think it holds up well. I wouldn't mind a new remake with RE2 gameplay since more people would probably enjoy it more then.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a more linear RE2 with better visuals and it's 6 hours long. If that's worth $20 to you go for it. I think it's lovely but soul-crushingly short

Any replay value? Collectibles? Resident Evil is strange because its story is silly-fun and sometimes dumb but it's the only series where I read EVERYTHING. I really enjoy immersing myself in the world (I'm a huge Stan for Darkside Chronicles even).