• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game should I get instead since my little brother insisted on buying Animal Crossing?

• Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 241 49.3%
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake

Votes: 102 20.9%
  • Marvel's Avengers

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • The Wonderful 101 Remastered (already played it on Wii U)

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 22 4.5%
  • Persona 5 Royal

Votes: 32 6.5%
  • DOOM Eternal

Votes: 78 16.0%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My original plan back in Christmas was to have my folks get Animal Crossing: New Horizons as a late Christmas gift. But as I came to find out, my little brother is now dead-set on getting the game himself, despite me trying to explain to him that my parents were more than willing to get the game themselves. Since he can't be convinced to save his money, I'm trying to think of another game to fulfill my parents' offer so I don't waste it. What should I go with? The options are in the poll, but nothing above $60.

Airhead

Oct 25, 2017
my advice would be never pre-order and wait until reviews at least before making a decision. Square games go down in price usually pretty fast especially after the first year. maybe keep that in mind.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
my advice would be never pre-order and wait until reviews at least before making a decision. Square games go down in price usually pretty fast especially after the first year. maybe keep that in mind.
Fair point, anything to lighten the load on their wallets would be a good thing.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My original plan back in Christmas was to have my folks get Animal Crossing: New Horizons as a late Christmas gift. But as I came to find out, my little brother is now dead-set on getting the game himself, despite me trying to explain to him that my parents were more than willing to get the game themselves. Since he can't be convinced to save his money, I'm trying to think of another game to fulfill my parents' offer so I don't waste it. What should I go with? The options are in the poll, but nothing above $60.
Persona 5 or Final Fantasy VII are my obvious recommendations.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Just give him the $60 they would have spent and you've accomplished the same thing.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, best game Nioh 2? Hello? Is this thing on? Like doy. Everyone loves Nioh 2. Even mom and pop.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Have you played the base Persona 5? If not, then Royal would be a great purchase, especially if you're looking for bang for your buck. It's a 100 hour game.

Apr 21, 2018
This thread reminded me that over the next month we're getting a new Animal Crossing, Doom, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy game, and all of them look great.

What a warm feeling...

And OP, I'd recommend waiting and seeing. I voted RE3 because that would be my personal choice, but it really depends on your own feelings.

If in doubt...but them all.

Sep 25, 2018

wait for game of the year edition final fantasy 7 remake this way you do not have to wait every year for the continuation and instead get all the versions together

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any reason you can't save up to get Avengers in 6 months time? Probably best to get FF VII, Persona 5 or RE3

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go with RE3. FF7 is probably worth sitting on for a while until some patches come out. Not that I've heard anything concerning, but knowing SE, they'll SE it up (remember XV?)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait for game of the year edition final fantasy 7 remake this way you do not have to wait every year for the continuation and instead get all the versions together
I can't speak for Neoxon but I'm not waiting some 5 years for a hypothetical complete "edition."(A Collection would probably be a more accurate term given all the pars will be there own games.)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been the Christmas gift last year, so I'd get it immediately. All I have to do is use my mom's credit card upon purchase.
A few of those games will quickly drop in price so I would suggest something that's gotta stay full price or a bit and you also really want to play.

personally. I wouldn't recommend Marvels cause i feel that's game thats gonna be kinda okay at launch and get better later when the GAAS aspect is really noticeable.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Option X - make this a teachable moment and ask for the cash equivalent instead and save the money

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Is the game for you? If not then have your brother only pay for half of it and your parents for the other half. He's young so Animal Crossing will be perfect for him as the game requires a lot of time and will be more than enough to keep him busy.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is the game for you? If not then have your brother only pay for half of it and your parents for the other half. He's young so Animal Crossing will be perfect for him as the game requires a lot of time and will be more than enough to keep him busy.
He insisted on paying for it in full & I can't get him to budge. I've tried just about everything. He'd be playing it, but would also let me play (as was the case with Pokémon Sword).

Also, he's 21, I'm 24.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
As far as I'm concerned it's down to RE3, FF7 and P5R.

OP, which game are you LEAST likely to be willing to spend money yourself lol ?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As far as I'm concerned it's down to RE3, FF7 and P5R.

OP, which game are you LEAST likely to be willing to spend money yourself lol ?
Of the three, probably P5R since my little bro bought the original P5. I'd imagine my older sister will rent RE3 at some point (as she did for 7 & 2's remake), & I'd imagine that I'd get FFVIIR at a discount eventually (as mentioned earlier, I'm in PS5 money-saving mode right now).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope you get enough and then some
I'm currently aiming for $550 ($500 plus tax) by the end of November. Then I also need enough for tickets to Black Widow, Eternals, & In the Heights on top of my Switch Online (family plan) & PS+ (I usually get it during the summer when it's $40) subscriptions. That would go into the "and then some" of your post.......not to mention food (high metabolism & whatnot).

I won a Smash prediction contest late last year, so I'm mostly good for Fighters Pass Vol. 2.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
He insisted on paying for it in full & I can't get him to budge. I've tried just about everything. He'd be playing it, but would also let me play (as was the case with Pokémon Sword).

Also, he's 21, I'm 24.
Ah, I thought there was a bigger age gap between you and your younger brother man, well in that case disregard everything I said lol. FF might be the best option there.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Of the three, probably P5R since my little bro bought the original P5. I'd imagine my older sister will rent RE3 at some point (as she did for 7 & 2's remake), & I'd imagine that I'd get FFVIIR at a discount eventually (as mentioned earlier, I'm in PS5 money-saving mode right now).

I think you should choose FF7, if nothing else it would be a nightmare to avoid anything about the game for the next year.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
If you ask me I'm gonna say the obvious answer is Final Fantasy VII Remake. But then again, I'm a cactuar, and thus slightly biased.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Can't go wrong with
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Resident Evil 3 Remake
- DOOM Eternal

Already available, should know what to expect
- P5R
- W101

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I already bought FF VII, so I'm biased lol

I would say this or Resident Evil 3.

You already played Persona so wait for a good sale. Avengers doesn't looks good. But you could go for Cyberpunk, TLOU or Tsushima.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I already bought FF VII, so I'm biased lol

I would say this or Resident Evil 3.

You already played Persona so wait for a good sale. Avengers doesn't looks good. But you could go for Cyberpunk, TLOU or Tsushima.
I may just ask for TLoU Part II for this coming Christmas, though good idea on Cyberbunk & GoT.