• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Or like $6 an hour at a home repair store. Besides, if you own a home you should probably have some kind of ladder anyway.

Having A ladder is a lot different from having one that works here lol

Will probably use my cousins adjustable ladder if it's tall enough it can have both ends set to multiple lengths

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Get yourself an articulated ladder, bend the upper 4th to rest against the far wall, like the far left one shown here;
CPy2OGC.jpg

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I had some similar bullshit on the porch of my house.

Ended up paying a handyman with a huge ladder to replace the fixture with one that hands down on a chain so people with normal ladders can change the bulbs in the future.

Fuck any builder who thinks it's cool to put these shitty fixtures 20 feet high.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I love that it took 24 shit posts before somebody gave poor OP a legitimate answer.

Anyway OP have you tried parkour?

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
An Extension Ladder. Did these all the time while painting (The kind with the cover that extends past the base), or when having to change out the light fixture.

"Have fun"

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Post the picture on Craigslist, task rabbit or whatever and say you'll pay for someone to fix it. Cheaper than buying a ladder.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
They make ladders with adjustable legs for just this reason. They also make ladder stair extensions/platforms, which is an add on piece for obviously using your ladder perpendicularly on stairs...

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that it took 24 shit posts before somebody gave poor OP a legitimate answer.
Those extension handles won't work though, because the lightbulb is encased in a frosted glass globe which is attached to the light fixture by three set screws.

He has to get up there with human hands to change that bulb. A proper ladder is the only solution. If you don't have one, and are reluctant to buy one, perhaps you can borrow one?

Unless you want to smash the glass globe. While being very careful not to break the extremely-fragile lightbulb inside, because it's half impossible to get the broken remains of a lightbulb out using an extension handle. Maybe use the extension handle to hold a potato, and use the potato trick for removing broken lightbulbs?

At least if you use an LED bulb it should last years
Not if he puts the LED bulb inside that kind of globe. There's no ventilation in that kind of fixture, so an LED bulb will overheat and die WAY faster than it's supposed to. Same with compact fluorescent. That kind of fixture was made for old-fashioned incandescent bulbs, and it eats modern bulbs for breakfast.

If he wants to use an LED bulb in that location, he's either going to have to hire an electrician or DIY to change the fixture to something with open-air ventilation (most electricians have ladders, BTW), or get rid of the glass globe (which means, maybe it's smashy time?).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Find out what's above the light. If it's either an attic or the roof then go up there, triangulate the location of the light from above and then cut a hole just large enough to stick your arm through and complete the task. Plug the hole, but maybe keep it unsealed for the next time you have to head up there.

You're welcome :)

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
So no one's going to comment about the positioning of that light switch that is practically in the middle of the wall above the staircase too?

T.I (uh oh)

Oct 29, 2017
You need 2 different sized ladders - and a scaffold plank to bridge the gap.
Short ladder at the top of the stairs, long ladder at the bottom, fully extended, leaning against the wall.

Or forget about it, get an electrician in to install LED step lights

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
If you have a ladder go buy a piece of wood and some cinder blocks, lay the wood across the steps and stack the blocks til you have a stable level base. Now you can place the ladder directly under the light fixture and later you can made a college book shelf.
concrete-blocks-living-room-shelf.jpg

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
My grandma's house had light fixtures like this, but at least we had a balcony overlooking the staircase to grab the cover from (and even then it took a ladder). Absolutely terrifying every time I had to replace them, just had visions of dropping the globe down 20 ft and smashing it.

This would definitely be worth considering moving or changing the fixture over, IMO. Unless this is a house by some famous architect and you want to keep everything original for resale value, it's probably not worth the repeat hassle. And even then, probably still not.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Use a long ladder like this:

54YJTL5.png

Maybe not in that exact angle, but somewhat angled with your ladder on the stair steps and on the wall. The angle makes it safe, the ladder can't slip away on the wall or floor.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Use a long ladder like this:

54YJTL5.png

Maybe not in that exact angle, but somewhat angled with your ladder on the stair steps and on the wall. The angle makes it safe, the ladder can't slip away on the wall or floor.
Many ladders aren't suited to be used horizontally. Many of them are designed to carry their weight mostly vertical, and if you try to use them as some sort of bridge and crawl across them, they might buckle and fold and collapse when you get to the middle. Plus, there's a chance that the drywall on the far wall won't hold, and the feet of the ladder might crush into the wall. You can lean on a wall, but you can't use a wall to carry a person's weight.

A better way might be as someone mentioned earlier, set the ladder up normally from a step near the bottom, and then put a long plank (like maybe a 2x8, or a couple of 2x6's) to use as a bridge from the top step (one step down, so it can lock in place) to the top rung of the ladder.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So no one's going to comment about the positioning of that light switch that is practically in the middle of the wall above the staircase too?
This...took 75 posts for it to be brought up. What the fuck is with that switch? What does it control? Why is it where it is?

As for the bulb, you just need a normal ladder. Not sure why this is so perplexing.
f7fba906bb2e97c6f08862f0b658c882.jpg

If all you have are non-adjustable ladders, then this is the solution:
ladder-on-stairs.jpg

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
A straight, tall, normal ladder is perfectly useable here.

Put the bottom end on the 2nd/3rd/4th step up so that it's leaning up against the wall facing the OP photo. Bttom of the ladder is stuck in the corner between the bit of the stair yo stand on and the riser part that is vertical from one step to the next.

Climb ladder, if the light is slightrly behind you, turn around on ladder and change the bulb.

The fancier ladders in the thread will make it slightly easier but you can change that bulb with a normal one.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Just be careful, my cousin's husband fell down a ladder and then a flight of stairs and suffered multiple fractures, he'll be wheelchair bound for a couple of months

Oct 27, 2017
OzvtBb8.png

It's probably a good 15-20 foot down to the floor and you can't use a regular ladder because its on a slope I'm kind of at a loss.

What am I missing here? Just get a normal ladder, stand it a few stairs up on the flight of stairs and angle it towards that back wall. Climb up, turn around slightly and you should be able to access the light fitting? Unless the light fitting is much further off that back wall than it looks that would work.

Also what a weird place for that light switch, in the middle of the wall halfway down the stairs?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Just be careful, my cousin's husband fell down a ladder and then a flight of stairs and suffered multiple fractures, he'll be wheelchair bound for a couple of months

My mother works for the Hospital for Special Care in CT. It's full of people that had serious spinal and brain injuries falling off ladders and telephone poles. If someone doesn't know what they are doing in a situation like the OP's they should probably pay someone that does.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
some of the solutions suggested here give me anxiety attacks

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What am I missing here? Just get a normal ladder, stand it a few stairs up on the flight of stairs and angle it towards that back wall. Climb up, turn around slightly and you should be able to access the light fitting? Unless the light fitting is much further off that back wall than it looks that would work.

Also what a weird place for that light switch, in the middle of the wall halfway down the stairs?
He said there's like a 5ft gap from that wall to the light.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Just borrow a ladder off a neighbour or relative or something, wedge it in a step and rest it on the wall behind the light. What's the big deal?

EDIT: Whoops, made the same mistake as others. Still, a 5ft gap is fine as long as the ladder is long enough. Just need to play about with the angle and which step you have it on.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
AirTasker that shit! There will be some sucker with a ladder willing to do it for like 30 bucks.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

www.youtube.com

How to Climb Vertically Between Two Walls: Fun Skill Tutorial!

VIDEO NUMBER TWO HUNDRED! Showing you one of my favorite skills of all time. It's easy to learn and doesn't take that much effort to learn. I've been making ...

www.youtube.com

How to Climb Between Walls: Tutorial Horizontal Style!

This is a pretty fun skill to do and learn. Make sure you 'like' this video, comment, share and favorite to do me a huge favor! By the way, I am working on a...

Real talk I would have probably tried this and then fallen and broken my ass.